Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
5's idea of worldbuilding is filling in mostly boring sandboxes with one or two objects of note then making you walk around them a dozen times to ensure you see them and then having every sidequest repeat every major theme and concept half a dozen times. It's basically a tales of game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'd play a Shin Megami Tensei World Building Game. Call it Sim Megami Tensei. Black Frost can tell you not to cut the transportation budget or you'll regret it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

And like one of the bad ones like Symphonia or Legendia. Just games that do not respect the viewer in any way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

KingSlime posted:

I was super excited at the end of V when the supposed main non-christian god antagonists appeared. Like holy poo poo they're going to actually have a relevant role in the plot! Apocalypse was leading up to this type of mix up gently caress YES

Nooope lmao massive wet fart. They have zero associated plot relevance, have nothing of interest to say, contribute absolutely nothing to the greater world. And the way they were implemented was just sloppy It felt like they ran out of dev time

lol i missed the additions. truly displaying your own colossal incuriosity, compleltely unaware. what a beautiful mind

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm open to hearing your thoughts on why you disagree, because the way you make it sound I missed a lot of the game? I definitely enjoyed the game overall

It's a jrpg it's not that deep, which was kind of my problem with it. Megaten always has the coolest world building what happened here

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

5's idea of worldbuilding is filling in mostly boring sandboxes with one or two objects of note then making you walk around them a dozen times to ensure you see them and then having every sidequest repeat every major theme and concept half a dozen times. It's basically a tales of game at this point.

5s idea of worldbuilding is piles of religiosity, the concept of which itself stands as a mirror to 3. the problem is the most dull people imaginable only care about the philosophy and human focused game and lose interest when that isnt the focus.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think it's pretty obvious that it's a nice mirror/parallel to 3

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

KingSlime posted:

The preview for V years ago for example teased that Odin would have a bigger role.

If you mean the first ever preview I think they were just teasing "we made a character model for him".

e: I'll play Soul Hackers 2 but to be honest I'm kind of really tired of hearing about it at this point, between this and SMT5 last year Atlus' recent 6-month hype cycles of uploading like 10-12 videos to youtube every week are just exhausting.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 18, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
soul hackers 2 look pretty good tbh

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Maybe, he was surrounded by downed demons so I was like oooh new hegemony?!

Nope not at all. I really wanted the last four gods before the end sequences to have their own dedicated arcs even if they were very short. Most sidequests were way more fleshed out

It just feels like a very thinned out two to three episode anime stretched out over a 70 hour RPG

Tired Moritz posted:

soul hackers 2 look pretty good tbh

I'm cautiously optimistic

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm going to play Soul Hackers 2 and I'll probably even enjoy it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Some people are upset that you can't use demons in your party, but I'm still about it, fusing subpersonas in persona q actually owned

They need to introduce subpersonas into persona 6, and of course balance the difficulty to account for that. At that point you still have human party members, but you get the joy of monster catching/ using their skills with everyone, not just your main character

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'll wait and will buy if people say the battle system holds up or if the dungeons are really good. TMS was severely lacking in both and I need at least one to keep me going

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Stux posted:

5s idea of worldbuilding is piles of religiosity, the concept of which itself stands as a mirror to 3. the problem is the most dull people imaginable only care about the philosophy and human focused game and lose interest when that isnt the focus.

The "people dislike SMTV's story because human's aren't the focus" argument doesn't really work when all the major demon characters aren't good either. Yeah people say the demons are better but when they say that they're not talking about actual characters like Abdiel or whoever, they're talking about when Mothman calls you a dipshit.

SMTV aims for some of the things you talk about but the problem is the story is so unengaging that it doesn't really matter. I think you could take a lot of those concepts and do something good with them but I don't think SMTV does.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think he's confusing themes with plot

The game has pretty cool themes. The plot is stupid. The characters are very, very stupid. Bordering on embarrassing

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Stux posted:

5s idea of worldbuilding is piles of religiosity,

Literally every SMT does that. 5 doesn't even do it particularly well, cause for all the little flourishes it builds to nothing, compared to 3 or 2 or SJ or even 4's constant usage of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll play soul hackers when it comes out but I ain't bothering getting hyped

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Soul Hackers 2 will be good because it brought us a new Jack Frost variant.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

For Soul Hackers 2, I'm definitely holding out to see how people feel about it, but I'm really hoping it's good. I'm always glad to get another decent turn-based RPG. I think it has a good chance but I'm not confident enough about that to get too excited.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

KingSlime posted:

I'm open to hearing your thoughts on why you disagree, because the way you make it sound I missed a lot of the game? I definitely enjoyed the game overall

It's a jrpg it's not that deep, which was kind of my problem with it. Megaten always has the coolest world building what happened here

i mean i think stuff like the blatant contrast between the various god/human pairings was extremely interesting, as well as what it illustrated in how the world was mirrored compared to 3. having dazai, yuzuru and saori illustrate that the roles are inverted, with the gods/demons being the important actors, having that underlined with humans now being plentiful and basically disposable (zeus makes this explicit). yuzuru has been under the wing of koshimizu for a while before the game begins and is already completely under his influence. we watch dazai go through this, and we see lahmu directly force saori. this overarching order in 5s world is contrasted both with 3, where the number of humans are very limited and are the driving force behind the worlds rebirth, and with the other 3 pairs in 5. the mc and aogami, with aogami giving over to the mc and saying that their intents are as one, yakumo and nuwa very obviously being an equitable and even caring partnership, and the entire arc with khonsu and miyazu.

i understand that when the game presented dazai and yuzuru as school friends, many peoples brains shut off entirely, already prepared for what they expected to happen. doesnt matter that the school is specifically attacked to break that illusion, and the result of the attack is the game laying out extremely directly thru lahmu that the humans in this world in general are pawns to the fallen deities. we cant be expected to pay attention to that. we saw people at school. why are teh humans not dumping walls of text at me etc.

thheres also the point of the like, comical amounts of minor connections and interactions between all the different demons and minor gods you talk to or do side quests for and all the little stories going on there, but thats obviously going to be lost on anyone already struggling wit h the stuff the game makes really clear

Zinkraptor posted:

The "people dislike SMTV's story because human's aren't the focus" argument doesn't really work when all the major demon characters aren't good either. Yeah people say the demons are better but when they say that they're not talking about actual characters like Abdiel or whoever, they're talking about when Mothman calls you a dipshit.

SMTV aims for some of the things you talk about but the problem is the story is so unengaging that it doesn't really matter. I think you could take a lot of those concepts and do something good with them but I don't think SMTV does.

i mean abdiel is grea.t but also if youre entire focus is on that and not everything else in the game, it just seems like you werent paying attention i guess. for one its telling you would go for abdiel, and not khonsu or even amano. its ok to admit it, you turned your brain off because you wanted it to be persona. no one will think less of you.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Literally every SMT does that. 5 doesn't even do it particularly well, cause for all the little flourishes it builds to nothing, compared to 3 or 2 or SJ or even 4's constant usage of it.

the conclusion of 5 is both fantastic by itself and ties into and caps 3 incredibly well. its also convinced me that the next time i play 3, im going to play vanilla 3 now that its an option on pc. i feel like non maniax might actually be better than what we got.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That's a pretty good and introspective post, I think you make a good case for connecting a lot of the plot points and interactiobs to the major themes.

I still don't think the game did a fantastic job of making those themes present because some scenes/ transitions do feel rushed. If the gods were so critical, the four deities at the end really should have had more screen time!

Fwiw I think the focus on human social interactions in persona is pretty lame, I don't think this is as much a case of persona fans upset at megaten, rather megaten fans wanting a little more meat In what was set up to be a very interesting and visually striking setting

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Stux posted:

i mean abdiel is grea.t but also if youre entire focus is on that and not everything else in the game, it just seems like you werent paying attention i guess. for one its telling you would go for abdiel, and not khonsu or even amano. its ok to admit it, you turned your brain off because you wanted it to be persona. no one will think less of you.

I left Khonsu out because Khonsu is ok.

Like again I think SMTV does try to do a number of interesting things, but having interesting themes and ideas isn't enough to make a story good.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 18, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I really really hope that SH2 is good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

KingSlime posted:

That's a pretty good and introspective post, I think you make a good case for connecting a lot of the plot points and interactiobs to the major themes.

I still don't think the game did a fantastic job of making those themes present because some scenes/ transitions do feel rushed. If the gods were so critical, the four deities at the end really should have had more screen time!

Fwiw I think the focus on human social interactions in persona is pretty lame, I don't think this is as much a case of persona fans upset at megaten, rather megaten fans wanting a little more meat In what was set up to be a very interesting and visually striking setting

well gods more broadly, any demon/deity who found their knowledge. the four deities at the end were to show what the chaos choice had in store. law was shown directly thru abdiel and dazai and what they wanted. tsukuyomi wants the various gods around the entire world to have free reign over their regions so illustrating what thats going to mean is part of the chaos route, and its why he and yuzuru are not hugely focused on as its more about what all the different fallen gods are going to do. that stuff is also just, generally in the world as you meet so many. stuff like the kunitsokami side quest and how they align with him despite everything etc

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Junpei posted:

I really really hope that SH2 is good.

same. i also hope it does well and gives them incentive to give us more spinoffs.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Previews of sh2 have been pretty positive, and make it sound like way more of a dungeon crawler than 5 was, but I just can't get excited for it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lets hang out posted:

Previews of sh2 have been pretty positive, and make it sound like way more of a dungeon crawler than 5 was, but I just can't get excited for it

The character designs are a huge turn off for me. But I also hope it's good, I'll play it some day no matter what probably

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I played what felt like a ton of SMTV and was still on the second map and got bored with the general sand-blasted ruins aesthetic I'd been running around in for like 20-30 hours, but that's probably my fault for playing on Hard and doing everything rather than just running through it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The next two areas do have a different aesthetic. Even the last part of 2 does

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1560267649019711489?t=-emm02oq0AT1wNz7AdyFMw&s=19

Quite a bit lower than I expected

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't care about reviews. Game journalists are a bunch of casuals. But are there any quotes as good as "The dark souls of Persona"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
how's the music and dungeons? is there a teleport maze or a fun ice floor labyrinth?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're apparently pretty bland in line with this being a pretty budget-y game. I was kinda expecting that but hoping it'd have some charming writing and stuff to hold it up but it feels like the fun writers at atlus mostly got locked in a dungeon after 2011 or so.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Reviews generally seem to say that the dungeon design is weak with the Soul Matrix dungeon being about as bland as Tartarus was in Persona 3, the story is underwhelming and flounders around a lot and the stack system replacing Press Turn, while interesting, just isn't as good as Press Turn. Also mentioned that a lot of elements feel like TMS.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Idk why people think Soul Hackers 2 look that bad.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I’m holding out to see what (reasonable) SMT fans think about it when it’s out, since it was never going to be a day 1 purchase for me anyway. Even if it’s flawed I’m hoping it’ll still be fun enough for idiots like me who just really like turn based RPGs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My feeling on Soul Hackers 2 is this:

It feels a lot more like a PS2-era RPG than I was expecting in both good and bad ways. It actually has a lot of elements I like but it feels low budget and restricted in a lot of ways that I normally associated with PS2 style games. It just feels very 'old school.'

The combat system is fun. It's not as unique as Press Turn but I also kind of enjoyed there being a middle ground where strengths and weaknesses matter but they are not instant doom. It actually rewards you for keeping more specialized demons instead of just making a super-Lilith or whatever.

That said: I hope you like teleport mazes.

Motto posted:

They're apparently pretty bland in line with this being a pretty budget-y game. I was kinda expecting that but hoping it'd have some charming writing and stuff to hold it up but it feels like the fun writers at atlus mostly got locked in a dungeon after 2011 or so.

There is some really fun writing in the hangouts and meal stuff. The characters are largely pretty fun and have some good interactions. Ringo is the best protagonist in a SMT in a long time because she has a personality.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 18, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

:sickos:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ImpAtom posted:

My feeling on Soul Hackers 2 is this:

It feels a lot more like a PS2-era RPG than I was expecting in both good and bad ways. It actually has a lot of elements I like but it feels low budget and restricted in a lot of ways that I normally associated with PS2 style games. It just feels very 'old school.'

The combat system is fun. It's not as unique as Press Turn but I also kind of enjoyed there being a middle ground where strengths and weaknesses matter but they are not instant doom. It actually rewards you for keeping more specialized demons instead of just making a super-Lilith or whatever.

I don't, also can you comment on how the Soul Matrix stuff works out because the pre-release stuff about it gave me the vibe that it's something used to pad out the game's run time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

I'm listening