Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Because he's Stephen King and that's just what he do. That's like asking why everything is set in Maine and the protagonist is a horror writer with a substance abuse problem who got hit by a van.

Apropos, I've actually been giving King some kind of mad trial-by-combat day in court again : I'm about halfway through IT and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. I'm waiting to post thoughts about it until I'm actually done, but jesus this book is the most mixed bag of pure King ever. There's a pretty good book in here, maybe several good books, but it is absolutely buried hat-deep in rolling waves of elemental yikes.

Like, I've been on the internet my whole life, I didn't expect this book to teach me new racial slurs I'd never heard of before.

You're surprised a book set in northeast America in the 50's and 80's has racial slurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Franchescanado posted:

You're surprised a book set in northeast America in the 50's and 80's has racial slurs?

I'm surprised it has racial slurs I've never heard before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Something Henry Bowers said?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

shoulda read The Tommyknockers instead smdh

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MrMojok posted:

Something Henry Bowers said?

There’s a whole chapter intro from Stan Uris’s wife about how Jewish she is where she rattles them off. My eyes eventually glazed over because it goes on and on.

Also one of Richie’s Voices is pretty much blackface sans face-paint. If you thought that part of the Dark Tower was rough, hoo boy.

A lot I kind of expected just cause, yeah, coked up 80’s King doing a 50’s thing, but I was not prepared for the sheer amount and how often it’s not about the characters or the plot, it’s just the third person narration adding it in.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The (otherwise very very good) narrator of the audiobook really commits to Richie's Voices

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

The (otherwise very very good) narrator of the audiobook really commits to Richie's Voices

Sweet Jesus weeping on the cross.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ceramic Shot posted:

I also enjoyed it a lot.

Has anyone read the same author's other works to completion? I read the preview of The Blacktongue Thief (fantasy) on Amazon and wasn't really impressed with the beginning, though the reviews are profuse in praise. First-person POV and a more standard fantasy setting don't really suit his writing style I think. The bleak, phantasmagorical not-kidding-Catholicism of B2F was a lot more charming.

I really enjoyed The Lesser Dead. A really interesting version of vampires. The Necromancer's House was also strong.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’m going to continue remembering It as a great book and not spoil my memory rereading It

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
King can be awkward and outright cringy with a whole variety of topics, often anything out of his own experiences (if he's writing people who aren't white/dudes/straight/etc) and sometimes it's like a perfect storm of poo poo ala "Dedication".

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is probably due to my age but I though King's voice in IT was dead-on. I didn't grow up in Maine but I drat sure grew up around people that were just like this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

MrMojok posted:

It is probably due to my age but I though King's voice in IT was dead-on. I didn't grow up in Maine but I drat sure grew up around people that were just like this.

same, lived in small town alabama first 26 years of my life

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Speaking of beloved horror authors:

https://twitter.com/MrHolness/status/1559829545519300609

I'm cautiously curious about this one. Darkplace was genius but I'm not sure how well Idiot Stephen Koontz will translate into actual prose. The excerpts he read in the show were hilarious but a few hundred pages of that could just end up tiring.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a lot of the best gags in Darkplace were completely dependant on the TV show format. Cautious curiosity sounds about right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Matt Holness has written a couple of legit horror short stories so he's not a neophyte to the world of letters

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Remember I am selling:
Negative Space, Secret of Ventriloquism, Mr. Gaunt by Langan, Only Good Indians and Heart is a Chainsaw, Boatman's Daughter

Get something you've been wanting for a long time! ;)

edit: sold a few!

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 22, 2022

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
so I just finished Mapping the Interior by SGJ. It was my fourth book by him, I think it was my second favorite though. A quick read, short novella, even a little King-esque, but man I love his insights into the indigenous psyche. He's so special.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Finished The Hellbound Heart last night, which was my first time reading Clive Barker, and I enjoyed it pretty well! All I knew about it going in was some cultural osmosis about Hellraiser, so I was pleasantly surprised by how sparingly the Cenobites were used here, and particularly how mundane their speech patterns were -- there's something much more unnerving about their just talking to humans in an almost casual tone, and asking things like "what city is this?", instead of being full-tilt Eldritch. Could have probably done without the "female character becomes romantically obsessed after joyless dubiously-consensual sex" trope -- if we have to keep doing this, can the sex at least be really good? -- but y'know, gotta get the plot going somehow.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Could have probably done without the "female character becomes romantically obsessed after joyless dubiously-consensual sex" trope -- if we have to keep doing this, can the sex at least be really good?

That’s the part that always keeps me from really liking Barker. He’s pretty okay, fine to decent at prose, has some appropriately spoopy ideas but he’s always gotta cram in these sex takes that are written like an 11 year old boy was also just the worst dom ever.

I’ll be just getting kind of into his stuff and then BAM! blood tits!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

anyone ITT have thoughts on Richard Matheson's short stories?

there is a Penguin edition I am interested in, 'The Best of Richard Matheson'. one story I want to read in particular is Duel because in my experience driving has gotten even more on edge during the pandemic/inflation, plus I've done plenty of road trips where you see lots of strange things on the road and sometimes it does feel like a driver is fixated on you and holds a grudge against you for the most minor things.

full disclosure: I am torn between this author or the Penguin collection of short stories by A. Blackwood. though I kind of want both :D

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

there is a Penguin edition I am interested in, 'The Best of Richard Matheson'. one story I want to read in particular is Duel because in my experience driving has gotten even more on edge during the pandemic/inflation, plus I've done plenty of road trips where you see lots of strange things on the road and sometimes it does feel like a driver is fixated on you and holds a grudge against you for the most minor things.

full disclosure: I am torn between this author or the Penguin collection of short stories by A. Blackwood. though I kind of want both :D

Get both?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Blackwood is public domain, so if it's just the stories you can get that for free.

But if you want a nice pretty book (which, yeah, fair) the answer is clearly both.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I recently got Penguin's The Lottery and Other Stories and Call of Cthulhu and other Weird Tales.

so I should get *two* more? in my heart I know the answer is yes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You're asking a book thread on a nerd forum if you should get books.

You know in your heart of hearts that you want books and just want permission, so I give it to you.

Go forth and buy all the books. Be free!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Matheson wrote pretty much all the best Twilight Zone episodes so if you enjoy that, you'll enjoy him

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's been a while since I read Matheson's short work but I recall it being great, so I say go for it.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Returning to Barker: I hope the new movie leans more on the book description of the cenobites. The classic ones are an iconic design, sure, but I'd like to see them covered in ash and golden jewels like they are in the book, with Pinhead's nails crowned with different color gems.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I just finished a book called Summer Sons and while I didn't really like the ending I would love to find more gay gothic horror if anyone has any recommendations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

that seems like the sort of thing Valancourt Books pubs scads of, but I don’t have any titles off the top of my head

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Finished The Hellbound Heart last night, which was my first time reading Clive Barker, and I enjoyed it pretty well! All I knew about it going in was some cultural osmosis about Hellraiser, so I was pleasantly surprised by how sparingly the Cenobites were used here, and particularly how mundane their speech patterns were -- there's something much more unnerving about their just talking to humans in an almost casual tone, and asking things like "what city is this?", instead of being full-tilt Eldritch. Could have probably done without the "female character becomes romantically obsessed after joyless dubiously-consensual sex" trope -- if we have to keep doing this, can the sex at least be really good? -- but y'know, gotta get the plot going somehow.

Have you read The Damnation Game by Barker? If not give that a go as well. I think I enjoy it more than The Hellbound Heart.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

newts posted:

John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series? Not strictly horror, I suppose, but very dark supernatural goings-on.

I know this is a post from last month, but if I enjoyed his Nocturnes books and The Book of Lost Things immensely, does his Charlie Parker series have the same...I don't know, "air" or voice? I liked the story with his character in Nocturnes at least!

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Just noticed from my wishlist that Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman is only $1.99 on kindle today! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052RHBGC/ref=docs-os-doi_0

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Just noticed from my wishlist that Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman is only $1.99 on kindle today! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052RHBGC/ref=docs-os-doi_0

I heard his other stuff doesn't touch between two fires, like nowhere close, is that true? I might pick this up if it's good but I'm worried I'm expecting another two fires and will be let down

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I heard his other stuff doesn't touch between two fires, like nowhere close, is that true? I might pick this up if it's good but I'm worried I'm expecting another two fires and will be let down

I'm honestly not sure. I've heard mixed things about TATR, which is his first novel, but I love Southern Gothics enough to want to give it a try. BTF is definitely a masterpiece.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It doesn't, but that's because BTF is just that good. Those Across the River and The Lesser Dead are perfectly serviceable horror novels.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What’s the consensus on Christopher Moore? I read Practical Demonkeeping like 20 years ago and remembered really liking it, but I just read Bite Me and kind of hated it. The story itself wasn’t too bad though, it was just the main character that I really hated so other than her narrative bits I liked it ok.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I'm honestly not sure. I've heard mixed things about TATR, which is his first novel, but I love Southern Gothics enough to want to give it a try. BTF is definitely a masterpiece.

TATR is Southern Gothic as all hell. I've liked everything I've read of Buehlman's : which is everything.

Between Two Fires is in a genre by itself, or at least if that genre has a name I'd like to know it so I can read everything in it. So it stands out sui generis in a way that his other, more typical horror books do not.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Opopanax posted:

What’s the consensus on Christopher Moore? I read Practical Demonkeeping like 20 years ago and remembered really liking it, but I just read Bite Me and kind of hated it. The story itself wasn’t too bad though, it was just the main character that I really hated so other than her narrative bits I liked it ok.

I did not like bite me. I liked bits of it, but it was super horny (Moore seems to be) and it didn't have nearly enough warmth (hah) for a love story. I have a huge soft spot for the stupidest angel, however, which despite having its own problems and still being pretty cringe is an enjoyable read for me. I'd try one more and if you don't dig it you're not missing any great lit if you don't read anymore.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I know this is a post from last month, but if I enjoyed his Nocturnes books and The Book of Lost Things immensely, does his Charlie Parker series have the same...I don't know, "air" or voice? I liked the story with his character in Nocturnes at least!

I haven’t read his other series (not sure why) but to me he has a pretty distinctive writer ‘voice’, and I can’t really imagine it changes that much? Sorry! I would try the first one, with the caveat that I think the series gets better as it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

newts posted:

I haven’t read his other series (not sure why) but to me he has a pretty distinctive writer ‘voice’, and I can’t really imagine it changes that much? Sorry! I would try the first one, with the caveat that I think the series gets better as it goes on.

Hey no prob, I'll take the rec! Yeah in the books I've read it is very distinctive and I love it.

Allow me to gush about Nocturnes I and II, it's a two part anthology of short horror stories (and a Charlie Parker novella) by Connoly and they range from 'pretty ok' to 'Holy loving poo poo' and I reread them year after year.

The Book of Lost Things, while horror adjacent, is more of the fairy tale grim variety about acceptance and loss. Couldn't recommend them enough.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 25, 2022