Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

grieving for Gandalf posted:

hell, they cost you macca over time, didn't they

if u have demons summoned it costs u magnetite to walk and iirc macca to summon which in Theory makes it so u need to resource manage through dungeons but in execution just makes it so u never really use demons unless ur about to fight a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anyone actually like SMT1 or 2's battle system, though? I'm taking about encouraging you to do more of a good and fun thing.

Press Turn is what made SMT notable in terms of its gameplay and at the very least battles are usually great for getting money via either macca drops in Nocturne or the money negotiation in IV.

I certainly never heard anyone tout that "you don't even have to fight anything" in those games.

uhh yes lol i played 1 last year it loving owns what are you talking about

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

RevolverDivider posted:

SMTV has incredibly boring zones a dry as dirt narrative and weirdly jank boss design to the point the final boss is one of the biggest chumps in the franchise. I dunno what NikkolasKing is going on about but it's really aggressively mediocre as far as SMT goes. While Apocalypse had problems in its narrative as well it was a hell of a lot more fun to play and had an awesome endgame climax instead of the wet fart SMTV goes out on

feel confident taking the opposite stance to you in any matter after reading this

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Where da gently caress is Raidou 3......

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stux posted:

uhh yes lol i played 1 last year it loving owns what are you talking about

Well more power to you. I'm happy you had fun.

Can you confirm though what I heard years ago, that you can fuse Michael at the start of SMT2 somehow? Might have been misinformed but it just always sounded like teh games were pretty janky and broken.

EDIT:
Maybe it was Metatron since I don't see Michael as a playable demon on the wiki. Or maybe they were just blowing smoke up my rear end.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 19, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly I didn't have that much fun with Smtv but not enough to argue with people on the internet about it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well more power to you. I'm happy you had fun.

Can you confirm though what I heard years ago, that you can fuse Michael at the start of SMT2 somehow? Might have been misinformed but it just always sounded like teh games were pretty janky and broken.

EDIT:
Maybe it was Metatron since I don't see Michael as a playable demon on the wiki. Or maybe they were just blowing smoke up my rear end.

i dont believe so. but i cannot say for sure.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i recall hearing that too...

i think its along the lines of "recruiting a human race demon and then fusing it with another demon randomizes the results and it means sometimes u can get Very High level demons real early in but it takes a While"?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Random Fushion from a human maybe, not useful at all. Summoning him would cost more money than you have, and walking a step would kill him from lack of MAG

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

Random Fushion from a human maybe, not useful at all. Summoning him would cost more money than you have, and walking a step would kill him from lack of MAG

yea i vaguely recall that being the downside mentioned too (i think it was on this very thread a long while ago?), it def seems more like a showing off thing than actually practical for gameplay

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
woah..

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
pulling a completely random demon from the fusion gacha is a funny idea for an smt. it'd be neat to see it in some capacity in a modern game, imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the battle mechanics were in fact significantly hurt by the open world or big zone or whatever you wanna call it design.

I remember as soon as the game came out, posters were trumpeting "wow! You don't even have to fight things!" Because it's true, running around grinding mitamas yields way better resources than batting. Since Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei made its name at least in part due to its battle system yet SMTV's design encourages you to fight as little as possible because it's a giant waste of time. Everything you'll really need is more easily found running from save point to save point and grinding mitama spawns.

Seems clear to me that, with a more dungeon-oriented design, this kind of open world grindfest wouldn't have happened.

That would be wrong. In the amount of time you spend grinding mitama spawns you can just advance forward in the game. It is not a game that requires grinding at all.

If you're going to argue "Well there's technically a suboptimal strategy you can use to get super overpowered early on" then... yeah sure. It's true of Nocturne and both IVs too. (Not to mention in Nocturne until very recently there was also the 'reroll over and over and over and over" thing.)

People used powerful demons because people liked those powerful demons. It happens in every loving game. SMTIII had Daisoujou who people kept around forever for example and it was significantly more OP than any of the super demons in V.

NikkolasKing posted:

I certainly never heard anyone tout that "you don't even have to fight anything" in those games.

This I want to point out in particular because they absolutely loving did. It was just that in a game with random encounters they instead praised it for having powerful consistently working instant kill moves. (Which was another reason Daisoujou got to stick around so often, because he deleted random encounters easily in a way that didn't even really need to interact with the Press Turn system.)

Likewise when people were praising SMTV for that they weren't doing it because you can grind mitamas. They were doing it because it was a wide open environment where you could avoid random fights if you wanted to which made exploration less of a pain. People like not having to do random fights if they don't want to. Hell Soul Hackers 2 has like 4 different distinct ways you can basically ignore random encounters if you want to just get somewhere.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 19, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That would be wrong. In the amount of time you spend grinding mitama spawns you can just advance forward in the game. It is not a game that requires grinding at all.

If you're going to argue "Well there's technically a suboptimal strategy you can use to get super overpowered early on" then... yeah sure. It's true of Nocturne and both IVs too. (Not to mention in Nocturne until very recently there was also the 'reroll over and over and over and over" thing.)

People used powerful demons because people liked those powerful demons. It happens in every loving game. SMTIII had Daisoujou who people kept around forever for example and it was significantly more OP than any of the super demons in V.

This I want to point out in particular because they absolutely loving did. It was just that in a game with random encounters they instead praised it for having powerful consistently working instant kill moves. (Which was another reason Daisoujou got to stick around so often, because he deleted random encounters easily in a way that didn't even really need to interact with the Press Turn system.)

Likewise when people were praising SMTV for that they weren't doing it because you can grind mitamas. They were doing it because it was a wide open environment where you could avoid random fights if you wanted to which made exploration less of a pain. People like not having to do random fights if they don't want to. Hell Soul Hackers 2 has like 4 different distinct ways you can basically ignore random encounters if you want to just get somewhere.

I never said anything about breaking the game. I said you don't even have to engage in the game at all since normal battles are a waste of time and everything you get from them can be more easily obtained elsewhere. People pointed out sidequests instead of mitamas which is fine. It still ends up the same way, fights are a waste of time and I think that sucks because SMTV has no value outside of battles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I never said anything about breaking the game. I said you don't even have to engage in the game at all since normal battles are a waste of time and everything you get from them can be more easily obtained elsewhere. People pointed out sidequests instead of mitamas which is fine. It still ends up the same way, fights are a waste of time and I think that sucks because SMTV has no value outside of battles.

I am not sure what you definition of "more easily" is but fighting the things that come in your path is in fact one of the best ways to get experience points, new demons, money and items. You're mistaking "some things may have an alternate path" with "everything in the game has an alternate path." If you play the game normally and fight battles as you come you get resources from them that you can use in the game!

I honestly am not sure where you are getting "fighting is a waste of time" from but it's not actually any way that anyone is going to play the game except maybe speedrunners? And if you're basing a game's content off speedrunners then you're in for a rude awakening about other games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are an absolute shitton of fights you do between bosses, enemies you fail to dodge, enemies you intentionally fight to negotiate with, abcesses, and sidequest targets/minibosses. You spend an a ton of time fighting in the game without grinding. The only difference is that, like in every jrpg made after the ps2 era, you decide on your own terms when you want to engage, instead of having it happen randomly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also the zones are really fun to navigate in and it never ceases to be funny how many people get mad at them. One of the most fun jrpgs to explore in I've ever played

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just saw some gameplay videos for soul hackers 2 and drat it!! It's going to be a hard pass for me

The battle music is lame, characters quip non stop and I got tired of the voice acting within literally the one battle I was watching. Hits don't seem to be very impactful, and it just looks...boring as poo poo. Oh yeah and your demons are just a little 2D cut out on top of your skills menu, why can't they materialize while you attack persona style?

Aside from that, the environment look really lame and it just has this incredibly low budget vibe to it just from the 5 minutes I saw.

There's something about it that feels really off, probably because it was made by that other yucky team. Oh well. I'm feeling pretty disappointed but I should have known better that we were getting a proper new entry so soon

Here's the video i saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZsAv4e4P8

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 19, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're the only team making anything remotely interesting while atlus refuses to make new IPs that aren't bad vaporware or games in general that aren't SMT or Persona

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 19, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Just saw some gameplay videos for soul hackers 2 and drat it!! It's going to be a hard pass for me

The battle music is lame, characters quip non stop and I got tired of the voice acting within literally the one battle I was watching. Hits don't seem to be very impactful, and it just looks...boring as poo poo. Oh yeah and your demons are just a little 2D cut out on top of your skills menu, why can't they materialize while you attack persona style?

Aside from that, the environment look really lame and it just has this incredibly low budget vibe to it just from the 5 minutes I saw.

There's something about it that feels really off, probably because it was made by that other yucky team. Oh well. I'm feeling pretty disappointed but I should have known better that we were getting a proper new entry so soon

Here's the video i saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZsAv4e4P8

They materialize during the Sabbath. The player keeps skipping the animation.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Motto posted:

atlus refuses to make new IPs that aren't vaporware or games in general that aren't SMT or Persona

That's fine. I'm really only interested in SMT and persona. Give me more drat it

ImpAtom posted:

They materialize during the Sabbath.

I saw that but I also already got sick of the sabath animation as well as the little animation that every little character does and I haven't even played the game :/

I don't know, It looks like it's going the direction that is 100% not my jam. I definitely don't want to play 50 hours of that video above

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Your point is completely asinine. You can avoid fighting if you spend hours walking back and forth grinding safe spawns is true, it's also true that you could grind iron daggers to break the leveling in Skyrim, use alchemy to break Morrowind, grind Metal Slimes in DQ to one shot everything, shoot every guard and NPC in Hitman before taking out the target, grind in the first reactor to 99, or any other level of stupid time wasting bullshit and then try to fashion your flimsy maul to hammer at the game design, or realize that grinding Mitami is neither something that the average player does or did and is also not needed if one just engages with the systems that the game presents instead of desperately fleeing from them. Your criticism is a non applicaple to the vast majority of player base, and comes from your own inability to judge a game on what it is rather than how you chose to play it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

when will atlus remember their old games.......

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One day he'll escape the flower fields and bring with him classic tensej

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I saw that but I also already got sick of the sabath animation as well as the little animation that every little character does and I haven't even played the game :/

... so you want an SMT game where the characters don't repeat the same handful of animations over and over again throughout the entire game? Because my dude I have extremely bad news for you about SMT and especially Persona. (Looking at you All Out Attack.)

Like I have my fair share of problems with SH2 but we're talking about SMT here.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
my demons are a bit different!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh, a hunter

make sure you bring more macca next time

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

... so you want an SMT game where the characters don't repeat the same handful of animations over and over again throughout the entire game? Because my dude I have extremely bad news for you about SMT and especially Persona. (Looking at you All Out Attack.)

Like I have my fair share of problems with SH2 but we're talking about SMT here.

No, these particular animations are cringey and lame, these particular lines sound annoying

I've played all the other games, all the quips are annoying yeah, but they seem especially unbearable here. Regardless, the point stands for me. I know for a fact I don't want to play that game w those visuals/music/flow for 10 or 50 hours now that we have gameplay footage.

The whole point of megaten to me is that is still (kind of) cool despite being an RPG. This is uh...not that lol

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Booky posted:

oh, a hunter

make sure you bring more macca next time

don't tell me you're going to change here...

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aw nuts im blanking on what walter says... rip

anyways i for one am excited for 2023's majin tensei 3 (ronde is a spiritual successor so its Technically Not) only for the xbone and ps3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

No, these particular animations are cringey and lame, these particular lines sound annoying

I've played all the other games, all the quips are annoying yeah, but they seem especially unbearable here

I mean opinion is opinion but I genuinely can't imagine finding the voicework in SH2 more annoying than "SENPAI! BE CAREFUL" every single battle for the entire game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's true both are really terrible but at least persona has other redeeming qualities. I'm not sure I'm going to gel with this game in any capacity

E: LOOKING COOL JOKER LOOKING COOL JOKER

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Booky posted:

aw nuts im blanking on what walter says... rip

anyways i for one am excited for 2023's majin tensei 3 (ronde is a spiritual successor so its Technically Not) only for the xbone and ps3

behold, my demons!! :cmon:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Wrex Ruckus posted:

behold, my demons!! :cmon:

its been too long since i played 4... 😔

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Soul Hackers 2 main flaw is that it's a SEGA-published RPG with Miwa Shirow artwork that fails to feature Hatsune Miku

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

It's true both are really terrible but at least persona has other redeeming qualities. I'm not sure I'm going to gel with this game in any capacity

I just honestly am not sure what you are seeing in SH2 that is distinctly different from every other recent SMT game except I guess Persona 5 which admittedly has a whole lot of style in every moment of the game. Hell until extremely recently non-Persona SMT was "still pictures of demons with elemental effects appearing over them." Even then while I enjoyed SMTV's aesthetic it was in an entirely different ballpark from P5. SH feels like a lower budget version of the same basic concept. It's reusing models and animations from SMTV even.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also can't you just mute the voices in sh2??

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe she's a super boss in the undernet

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Booky posted:

also can't you just mute the voices in sh2??

I'm sure you can, but something about the battles also feel low energy? Not having awesome battle music is an instant deal breaker for me

Well I guess I can always go back to play the older games. I haven't gotten around to yet. I need to check out the raidou games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

honestly sega should've just made a weird project sekai themed 7th Dragon spinoff or smth