Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

word in startup land is that valuations for Series B+ are dropping to more reasonable numbers

this means that fewer companies are raising and they’re raising less money

if you look at P:E ratios in SaaS for public companies too you’ll see the constriction in available capital and has been for a while.

I’d speculate this is leading to shyness about new reqs. Job postings on indeed indicate a decline since the recent market peak as well.

This is definitely happening, at least at highly unprofitable startups with short runways. There still seem to be plenty of jobs around, they just pay a little less and are less trendy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

distortion park posted:

This is definitely happening, at least at highly unprofitable startups with short runways. There still seem to be plenty of jobs around, they just pay a little less and are less trendy

alternatively they'll pay the same but be for companies that actually make things and not just Blank As A Service

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

sometimes i wonder what it would be like to work at a good company

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I worked at one once but they went out of business

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I worked for a pretty good company until DuPont bought them.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i worked for what i thought was a really nice company once, then when i called them out for doing something unsavory they shoved me out the door with hush money

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

i worked for one until covid hit and they had mass layoffs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

shoved me out the door with hush money

that sounds extremely nice

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DuckConference posted:

sometimes i wonder what it would be like to work at a good company

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

that sounds extremely nice

it was a mixed bag.

mentally it messed me up a bit I'm a very untrusting person who developed a massive amount of trust in my boss (who made the call to get rid of me), and even more so in her boss (who I previously reported to).

i got a few months salary out of it but haven't been able to bring myself to work for VC since.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i work at a company where senior leadership can't focus on anything for more than a month at a time and there's zero technical vision from the top, but my coworkers are extremely chill, i clock out pretty much whenever i want, i'm learning a lot, and the checks are large and don't bounce, so i'll take it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

raminasi posted:

i work at a company where senior leadership can't focus on anything for more than a month at a time and there's zero technical vision from the top, but my coworkers are extremely chill, i clock out pretty much whenever i want, i'm learning a lot, and the checks are large and don't bounce, so i'll take it

whats up my colleague

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

had a recent chat with my current boss and they brought up an interview answer i gave to a dei question along the lines of what you would do to improve dei if you were in a leadership position, and how impressed they were with it.

i can't help but laugh because my response was that i'd step down from the position -- mostly because i didn't have a real answer and i'd just watched the end of the expanse and wanted to see if i could james holden my way through the situation.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

had a recent chat with my current boss and they brought up an interview answer i gave to a dei question along the lines of what you would do to improve dei if you were in a leadership position, and how impressed they were with it.

i can't help but laugh because my response was that i'd step down from the position -- mostly because i didn't have a real answer and i'd just watched the end of the expanse and wanted to see if i could james holden my way through the situation.

:confuoot:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

This is where I ended up and it’s great 90% of the time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

same really, but there's going to be cuts in december on account of the economic shitstorm heading for Britain

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
ugh i hate interviewing

i get the theory behind starting with a simple code question to warm up to a hard one, but when the conceptually simple question is still off the beaten path of normal work, general coderpad lockup means i feel like a moron for failing to do an easy thing quickly and not having enough time to talk about the actual difficult thing

i don't even want this job! it's an interview just to stay in practice! why do i feel like crap!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

raminasi posted:

ugh i hate interviewing

i get the theory behind starting with a simple code question to warm up to a hard one, but when the conceptually simple question is still off the beaten path of normal work, general coderpad lockup means i feel like a moron for failing to do an easy thing quickly and not having enough time to talk about the actual difficult thing

i don't even want this job! it's an interview just to stay in practice! why do i feel like crap!

i love being asked questions on algorithms I will never get to program myself

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We give candidates some documentation for a toy API and ask them to do write a cli app/script/simple frontend which does a basic task using it (delete as appropriate for the position). way better than algorithms imo and much more reflective of day to day work.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

extension question is to take into account that the API is flakey and calls to it fail occasionally

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
got a call from a company looking for a staff engineer (posting says 10+ yoe, i don't have 3 yet). the recruiter said the vp of eng personally recommended me but i have no recollection of ever meeting this person. looking them up on linkedin reveals over a dozen shared connections. this gives me a weird vibe, is this some scam?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our take home is literally "Create something that will query a url and provide a hash of the body. "

No other requirements.

We see a ton of variation in responses to this and use it to drive conversation in the interview.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Fool posted:

Our take home is literally "Create something that will query a url and provide a hash of the body. "

No other requirements.

We see a ton of variation in responses to this and use it to drive conversation in the interview.

Do you use this as a filter or a conversation starter? If someone does some hacky one liner is that ok?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
#!/bin/bash
curl $1 | sha256sum -

when do i start

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Conversation starter, hacky one liners are fine.

When I'm present in the interview I usually start by asking how they'd integrate their "solution" into a larger system.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

a few years ago i had to rush out an application-time filter for an employer. i can't remember why, but i was annoyed at having to do it, so i made it something like "fetch a token from the web service described in the following srv record: ..."

the "token" was just nginx spitting out something snarky like '{"token": "youfoundthetoken"}'.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

#!/bin/bash
curl $1 | sha256sum -

when do i start

senior engineer level bash there

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

inadvertent curl option fingerprinter

e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Fool posted:

they forgot the retries tho

while ! curl $1 ; do true; done

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i asked what success looks like in the position and got told "just do your thing, do good work, shine" :jeb:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

got a call from a company looking for a staff engineer (posting says 10+ yoe, i don't have 3 yet). the recruiter said the vp of eng personally recommended me but i have no recollection of ever meeting this person. looking them up on linkedin reveals over a dozen shared connections. this gives me a weird vibe, is this some scam?

the scam is they give you money and you do as little as possible to earn it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

raminasi posted:

i asked what success looks like in the position and got told "just do your thing, do good work, shine" :jeb:

that’s a bad sign

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i got a rejection from a senior gig, because they down leveled me and had no mid-level openings. the feedback was "could be trained to senior in a month"

baffled as to how you arrive to that conclusion on the interview panel and then choose not to hire.

i got a hire from the system design interview and that's were i historically struggle. so still calling it a win.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i got a headhunter email from dropbox of all places. they're still around? salaries look pretty good for my area but kind of seems like a dead end??

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KidDynamite posted:

i got a rejection from a senior gig, because they down leveled me and had no mid-level openings. the feedback was "could be trained to senior in a month"

baffled as to how you arrive to that conclusion on the interview panel and then choose not to hire.

i got a hire from the system design interview and that's were i historically struggle. so still calling it a win.

companies can never train people, ever

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KidDynamite posted:

i’m guessing that hiring you after that evaluation would prompt some uncomfortable conversations within the organization about the way the entire leveling system works and it’s easier to simply not hire you than have them

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that rules

hire you on as a mid-level and then promote to senior immediately afterwards so you’re on the receiving end of like a 25% total comp haircut lol

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KidDynamite posted:

Same rules apply as dating and raising VC dollars. A no is a no. A maybe is a no. Ignore the reason 95% of the time its not the real reason. Other 5% ignore unless it can help you on the next one.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tech hiring is hosed up but it's not as bad as this
https://twitter.com/alex_hallowell/status/1562511162159546370?t=wisxqBU5DpCXkGsr1v8x0g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

for a fun surprise click this tweet to see the rest of the thread

just a wall of text. i lolled and closed the tab without reading any more