Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kenny Logins posted:

technically its like 5-6. this doesn't help matters

"Well poo poo" said the ultimate hustler "I guess yo momma been on the pan pipes all night judging by the sorry state of all these dudes here. Woman gets her lips round so many flutes she make a satyr blush."

"drat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

i know lots of guys and girls play all of these but i don't know if i've met a male oboe player under the age of 50 or 60

look im just posting the list ok, dont shoot the messenger

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

girl instruments:
flute
clarinet
violin
piano
harp

dude instruments:
oboe
french horn (but only gay dudes)
tuba
xylophone
timpani

just because you’re only proficient at playing the skin flute doesn’t give you the right to be sexist towards actual instrumentalists

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

just because you’re only proficient at playing the skin flute doesn’t give you the right to be sexist towards actual instrumentalists

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

rotor posted:

girl instruments:
flute
clarinet
violin
piano
harp

dude instruments:
oboe
french horn (but only gay dudes)
tuba
xylophone
timpani

assigned tuba at birth

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

when the edible kicks in

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

to do normal band at my high school you also had to do marching band. between that and the braces i noped out. i almost def would've stuck with it if the marching band thing hadn't been in the equation

i ended up doing theatre and journalism instead, it was a good choice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

to do normal band at my high school you also had to do marching band. between that and the braces i noped out. i almost def would've stuck with it if the marching band thing hadn't been in the equation

wonder how this plays out regionally

ime that was practically never the case. we had larger concert bands than our marching band. i think senior year including colour guard there mighta been like 110 -ish people in the marching band

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

pseudorandom name posted:

when the edible kicks in

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Achmed Jones posted:

hahaha neeeeerd

me too tho

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

wonder how this plays out regionally

ime that was practically never the case. we had larger concert bands than our marching band. i think senior year including colour guard there mighta been like 110 -ish people in the marching band

in the south any band activities outside of football season were treated as a necessary evil, dunno if it's still as bad.

i quit band after middle school because i didn't want to march.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Achmed Jones posted:

i went to two different high schools. freshman year in virginia, marching band was mandatory but we were like the pride and joy of our high school. we won a national championship that year and got to travel all over the east coast for competitions and miss all sorts of school for it, so it was actually super fuckin fun and cool.

then i moved to new jersey where marching band was optional and we would only play at football games and our football team was rear end so no one showed up for them except for the player's parents and they hated the band so i only did it one year.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is just east jesus kentucky but

i did concert/symphonic band middle school into college but only marched in high school. we had marching band that would do parades, all the marching competitions, and one football game a season, our pep band handled all the rest of the football and basketball games. i marched baritone and played baritone and sax for pep but my preferred instrument was always the clarinet

marching band we were ok, we usually placed at state but rarely won. our concert band was pretty phenomenal, we won competitions everywhere we played. had a really great director tho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

clarinets are often the worst part of hs band imo, there’s so many and most of them are just so bad

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when i was a band kid i was good enough to get in to the good band, but halfway through the season i started going to the badband practices because the good band spent all day helping the clarinets go over their part a thousand times and i never got to play my cool trumpet

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

clarinets are often the worst part of hs band imo, there’s so many and most of them are just so bad

i played clarinet through high school and was ok at it until we got a new band director and he told me to my face that he didnt like clarinets because they were a worthless and pointless instrument

i stopped caring after that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i played trumpet but i was bad at remembering finger positions

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i played clarinet through high school and was ok at it until we got a new band director and he told me to my face that he didnt like clarinets because they were a worthless and pointless instrument

lol what a waste of flesh. practically one of mozarts favourite instruments because of the ridiculous range and the quality of the harmonics - imo you can really hear the overtones etc on a clarinet when playing the fundamental better than lots of other instruments, especially in like the chalumeau register

fun fact: theoretically being a closed tube resonance chamber clarinets (and i guess trumpets etc?) only produce odd harmonics

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

i played trumpet but i was bad at remembering finger positions

since the brass are mostly the same i picked it up from baritone. i still do the bflat scale with my right hand as a nervous tic sometimes lol

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I think the only reason clarinets get a bad rap is that there’s so many school kids that play it.

somehow more than the saxophone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrQueasy posted:

I think the only reason clarinets get a bad rap is that there’s so many school kids that play it.

somehow more than the saxophone.

clarinet was the feeder for saxophone at my middle school, if you wanted to do sax you had 6th and half of 7th grade on clarinet before you switched.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Same though it was 5th where your choices were clarinet flute trumpet or trombone. they had everyone come through the band room and blow on the mouthpiece of each and gave you a “grade” so you could see which ones you found easier to play. they had volunteers from the 8th grade band play any needed percussion

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i did trumpet in middle school and was ok until i got braces then it was painful and no fun, but i still did 1 year in hs to get my arts requirement in

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Same though it was 5th where your choices were clarinet flute trumpet or trombone. they had everyone come through the band room and blow on the mouthpiece of each and gave you a “grade” so you could see which ones you found easier to play. they had volunteers from the 8th grade band play any needed percussion

that’s wild. my band director asked me if i’d mind playing low brass outside of symphonic band but otherwise we all got to pick whatever we wanted

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mediaphage posted:

since the brass are mostly the same i picked it up from baritone. i still do the bflat scale with my right hand as a nervous tic sometimes lol

ha same here. i keep wanting to pick my trumpet back up but it takes so much work to get your embouchure back in shape and ugh

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

rotor posted:

girl instruments:
(...)
violin
eh

rotor posted:

girl instruments:
(...)
piano
wtf

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

agree but i'd wager this is a widespread belief among a lot of americans lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

ok first question:

what does #♩ mean
lmao

Stringent posted:

i've got bad news for you about the c# major key signature

in my grade 12 music theory class, we would write short pieces and in the class performance the teacher would play a part while the composer observed. I wrote a piece in c# minor, and when he got the score just looked at me and said "what key is this?!" lol. it was super easy to play though.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

my hs band director played clarinet in a local jazz band and he would jam out for us sometimes

it sounded really cool and I developed a lot of respect for clarinet players

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i play violin and im not a girl

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

i play violin and im not a girl

throtor probably should have said women it’s true

j/k

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
guys im just poasting, idk poo poo about instruments or band or notes or whatever nerd poo poo ur talkin about, come on

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

jesus christ what a complete rear end in a top hat that shitheel was.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nothing good has ever come out of a clarinet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

guys im just poasting, idk poo poo about instruments or band or notes or whatever nerd poo poo ur talkin about, come on

no one thinks you’re serious lol

but I do think it’s a little hosed up that america broadly has a lot of these attitudes about harmless poo poo

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I started fiddling around with the guitar again, I got my high school telecaster out of the bag it had been in since college and fixed it up, so that’s fun. Instruments are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

mediaphage posted:

no one thinks you’re serious lol

but I do think it’s a little hosed up that america broadly has a lot of these attitudes about harmless poo poo

cishet people loooove gendering stuff. they can't get enough of it

this drink is for girls, that food is for boys, only men buy this lawnmower brand, women pilot drones like this, etc...