Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The exploration is interesting enough at least, and the computer log has a bunch of "Hey, You Haven't Finished Exploring This Area Yet, Dumbass" flags. peeling the layers off this thing will be fun I think.

Don't mind me I'm just a bad player, I can believe that this gets interesting as you get deeper into it.

Looking around various ruins in various places but eventually there's Spoopy Music and then a universe-destroying bang and then I die and return to the starting location. Sometimes it happens immediately if I investigate something I'm not supposed to be looking at yet I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, the only way the loop restarts is if you kill yourself somehow or you hit the time limit.

If you're in the right kind of place and looking in the right direction, you'll see what the time limit actually is.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sapozhnik posted:

Looking around various ruins in various places but eventually there's Spoopy Music and then a universe-destroying bang and then I die and return to the starting location. Sometimes it happens immediately if I investigate something I'm not supposed to be looking at yet I guess

it’s not random and it’s not based on WHERE you are

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

doom 3 is real good, get it on le epique jamestore for free

also, can I say how rad it is that you can play every single doom game as well as quake portably on the switch? dammit what a time we live in

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Here is some useful guidance for the Outer Wilds DLC: there's a condescending option in the menus about reducing the scary that you should turn on because that part of the DLC is unfun bullshit and not why you're playing the game in the first place.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KidDynamite posted:

i beat the game this week. and i gotta agree the game is mediocre af. the base building is super barebones and you can't move poo poo around, the combat never evolves past wack a thing, cast a magic, dodge roll. none of the choices matter one bit, and their are a bunch of mechanics you just have to figure out on your own for no reason.

aesthetic carries it to buy on sale for 5 bucks in 2 years.

you can move stuff, but the question is why? there's a few area-of-influence structures, but after some initial setup the compound is easy to run. i like base-building but towncraft doesn't appeal to me, so i've been very lazy with the layout and it hasn't hurt anything

i kinda dig the slow, heavy weapons, but yeah it's not hades or anything. i've been playing it heavy on the switch and it's fine as a handheld game. it sounds like it's a bit buggy on all platforms, but it's been mostly behaving for me and maybe both of those are because i only play it in short stints

i do dig the visuals and the areas you can visit outside the dungeons, though they're all kinda same-y in function as resource/skill trade zones. it feels like they tried to go in both directions and stretched thin

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the aesthetics are extremely on-point, though, and the way you can be a manipulative death cult leader or a benevolent(ish) cult leader is neat, if inconsequential. i started resurrecting followers then giving them long-life amulets, gotta get some methuselahs going

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

doom 3 is real good, get it on le epique jamestore for free

doom 3 was so maligned and it sucks. like yes it was Too Dark at times and it feels kinda slow, but the plot was fantastic and i wish we'd gotten a movie out of it (i'm ignoring the recent film adaptation)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/lizrummy/status/1560728370895527936

lmao rule post

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
think i lost my first rimworld colony, i opened a sealed-away megaspider hive earlier than i should have, and recent events have led them to my base earlier than i am prepared for, i could load an earlier save and try to grab everything valuable and leave, but knowing a little more of the mechanics there are a few things id have done differently, so a new colony might be worthwhile

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

quippy Joss Whedon aliens

rude and incorrect, post reported for wrong Outer Wilds opinions

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
ill bet doom 3 in VR is awesome

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
decided to try fighting games again because they seem so cool and fun and it would be nice to be good at a competitive game that wasn't 5v5 (like dota)

installed killer instinct and played 25 ranked matches and literally lost every single one :negative:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah at least the quippy npcs are mostly confined to the very beginning since the rest of the game is solo exploration for the most part.

i get what's going on in the backstory in broad strokes but the death-by-supernova-every-25-minutes thing is really annoying just from a gameplay perspective even though i'm sure it's all in service of some INCREDIBLE NARRATIVE TWIST or whatever. why take a chill exploration game and then force the player to always be in a hurry. like i was exploring the station above the water planet and then went down to the water planet and was reading some logs when all of a sudden DOOOO, DOO DOOOOO (but enough about my posts) and i'm like poo poo now i need to quickly grab this other tablet and traverse over to the reader and mash through all of it so that it gets recorded into the computer log before i die. i hope the teleporters-going-back-in-time thing means i can make time flow backwards or slower or there's a snooze button on the "sun station" or at least something that means i don't have to be super focused and brisk-moving on each loop. also navigating through the hollow planet is a pain in the rear end (because it's all platforming and falling off costs you 5 minutes and see above) and everything i've discovered is telling me to find one of the two underground paths to the south pole so far.

minor complaining aside it does seem fun enough so far, but i haven't got to the part where it makes me go :aaaaa: yet. looking forward to it though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

decided to try fighting games again because they seem so cool and fun and it would be nice to be good at a competitive game that wasn't 5v5 (like dota)

installed killer instinct and played 25 ranked matches and literally lost every single one :negative:

mk11 is on game pass and has some very good tutorial modes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The most beneficial effects of the time loop for me was having a cap on the length of a wild goose chase and not having to worry about how to get back out of anywhere. Most areas in the game are sized so they can be mostly explored within that time, and if you missed anything important it gets tagged in the computer. It’s a gentle* reminder that you should be moving on to something else pretty often and keeping the breadth as well as the depth of the world in mind

*as gentle as death by supernova can be at least. and there are far worse ways you can die

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

*as gentle as death by supernova can be at least. and there are far worse ways you can die

like seeing how close to the sun you can get. turns out not close enough to try and land on the sun station

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Been playing through the uncharted series again. 4 and LL look absolutely gorgeous on the PS5.

I really wished they fixed the bullet sponge aspect in the 1-3 remasters, some of those sections are absolutely brutal and take away from the game. The stories are still fantastic though.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
yeah, simultaneously you have a time limit on each cycle, and you have all the time in the world, i never felt like i was in a hurry for most of the game

there are a few places in the game that are time-sensitive of when you can enter, but most of the difficulty in those is figuring out the way in and the right time to try, not actually pulling it off once you know what/when to do, so if you miss something it isnt usually too onerous to get back on the next cycle or whenever you want

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rimworld has started causing gnome-shell to seg fault.

gaming on linux is so fuckin rad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the time limit is needed because the way things change needs to be predictable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

like seeing how close to the sun you can get. turns out not close enough to try and land on the sun station

i was pretty proud of getting that cheev. real satisfying

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

rimworld has started causing gnome-shell to seg fault.

gaming on linux is so fuckin rad

lol. windows version runs just fine in proton tho.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

that was the way I thought you were supposed to get there originally. I spent a lot of time trying and couldn't ever manage it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RokosCockatrice posted:

ill bet doom 3 in VR is awesome

I keep meaning to try this, but you need the 'BFG' edition of Doom III and I only have the regular version - I have a watch set on ITAD in case it pops up for a couple of quid and I'll try the mod: The most up-to-date fork of the original DIII VR project seems to be

https://github.com/NPi2Loup/DOOM-3-BFG-VR

and also theres a HIDef texture pack for the game

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-hi-def/downloads

I dug my old VIVE out of storage last weekend and tried a few VR games I'd bought in sales but never got around to trying - PISTOL WHIP is a lot of fun and also a subtle workout with the squats and dodges-from-the-waist you're asked of on medium difficulty and above, i got a fair sweat on after an hours play. It would be fun to try on an Oculus2 cordless / freestanding, but the whole META tie-in and the fact the games on the Oculus store all seem to be a fair whack higher than the Steam store means I'll leave it for now.

edit: oh lol I just checked the watchlist and Fanatical have DIII for less than three quid, I guess thats my queue

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/doomiiibfgedition/info/

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 20, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

still convinced the only reason I was able to pull it off is hundreds of hours of :jeb:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

still convinced the only reason I was able to pull it off is hundreds of hours of :jeb:

literally same lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I keep meaning to try this, but you need the 'BFG' edition of Doom III and I only have the regular version - I have a watch set on ITAD in case it pops up for a couple of quid and I'll try the mod: The most up-to-date fork of the original DIII VR project seems to be

https://github.com/NPi2Loup/DOOM-3-BFG-VR

and also theres a HIDef texture pack for the game

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-hi-def/downloads

I dug my old VIVE out of storage last weekend and tried a few VR games I'd bought in sales but never got around to trying - PISTOL WHIP is a lot of fun and also a subtle workout with the squats and dodges-from-the-waist you're asked of on medium difficulty and above, i got a fair sweat on after an hours play. It would be fun to try on an Oculus2 cordless / freestanding, but the whole META tie-in and the fact the games on the Oculus store all seem to be a fair whack higher than the Steam store means I'll leave it for now.

edit: oh lol I just checked the watchlist and Fanatical have DIII for less than three quid, I guess thats my queue

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/doomiiibfgedition/info/

i've tried it and the doom 3 vr experience is, maybe ironically, one of the best uses of VR I've tried. honestly really good

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

psiox posted:

doom 3 was so maligned and it sucks. like yes it was Too Dark at times and it feels kinda slow, but the plot was fantastic and i wish we'd gotten a movie out of it (i'm ignoring the recent film adaptation)

Doom 3 was great, but I do not understand why they didn't just make it an original IP when they wanted to make such a huge gameplay shift from the originals.

EDIT: Speaking of Doom 3, this is nifty:

https://wasm.continuation-labs.com/d3demo/

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 20, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:o:

matti
Mar 31, 2019

haha so funny xD

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Ok, what happens when I get in? :heysexy:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I was kinda high last night and left myself a note to play Borderlands 2 again and report back and can confirm today that it is still the game's peak.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I was kinda high last night and left myself a note to play Borderlands 2 again and report back and can confirm today that it is still the game's peak.

tiny tina is funny as hell I don't care what anyone thinks

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just this short quick clip here, where you're expecting a zombie to jump up a la Dead Space, but no :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teQW8_m6Wuw&t=251s
^^ timestamped

Expectations: subverted

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my niece is like tiny tina now and it's hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgj2ngCyA

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

SmokaDustbowl posted:

tiny tina is funny as hell I don't care what anyone thinks

crumpocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
while I was on probe I finished shenmue 2 and 3, and I really really want to play Sifu but it's not on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3R2CNhLWA