Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

aw frig aw dang it posted:

It's super cool that you made tapes of your music! It sounds like a lot of fun

It is! Although, next time, I'll make sure I have all the packaging planned out and have the tape plant make completed tapes.

There's just something awesome about cracking open a package with a bunch of identical tapes, putting one in the player, pressing "PLAY", and hearing something you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I got my NTG-1 shotgun mic, and it's not any better for my purposes than my NT1. So I'm returning it, and now my "gently caress around music toy" budget has increased by a bit over $200

Let's be real, I'll almost certainly end up getting nothing and spending it on groceries, but I'm _trying_ to spend it on something for myself! I swear!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Achmed Jones posted:

I got my NTG-1 shotgun mic, and it's not any better for my purposes than my NT1. So I'm returning it, and now my "gently caress around music toy" budget has increased by a bit over $200

Here's something I've always been curious about.. it seems like mic electronics are really stupidly simple - I once bought a really good PC mic for like $15 at Radio Shack in the early 2000s. So, what in the ever loving Christ do you have to add to one to make a mic that costs like thousands of dollars actually worth the money?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
manufacturing line consistency

a $4 pc mic will sound like whatever. a $99 shure sm58 generally sounds somewhat like an sm58. a $2000 sennheiser or akg will always sound exactly like that model is known to sound

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

idk the difference between a $200 and a $2000 one but a $200 mic sounds way better than a $20 one. it's a lot more obvious when you're micing instruments or singing than when you're just using it for regular ol speech. more sensitive, better frequency response, etc. and different mics will have different sounds to them (flat or whatever)

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

lol

i made some simple synth thing. sounds to me like music you'd hear in a space exploration game or something?

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/space-out-chill-out

this is extremely my vibes today, thank you for this good post.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
banged out another remix for a buddy, could probably have spent more time polishing it but sometimes things don't always need that

the red dragon - Hate & Love Remix

in the meantime i found i had what's apparently a nice mid/side eq so i'm figuring that out. so far the difference is v subtle but i'm starting to get the hang of it. never hosed with m/s before so idk what i'm doing

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Tomorrow, I have to run a call where I have to stay overnight in a small town in remote northern Alberta. They have a pizza place, but they don't have any beer or weed stores, so I'll have to bring some along. I'll also be bringing my Unos, a Microfreak, and a Tascam DP-006 recorder (with no idea how to properly use any of them). Also packing the Volca Modular, just in case I get motivated to learn that, too.

I'm hoping the minimal setup gets me to actually make something with hardware. I've never really done anything with all my hardware stuff besides a few dumb jam tracks.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 11, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that sounds like a real fun adventure and now i kinda want to book a hotel room night an hour away and bring my laptop and my midi keys

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Jonny 290 posted:

that sounds like a real fun adventure and now i kinda want to book a hotel room night an hour away and bring my laptop and my midi keys

Well, it would be more fun if the drive there wasn't around six hours... theoretically, all I have to do when I get there is swap an old hard drive into a new computer and that's it, but sometimes, simple things like this can go really, really wrong. On the way back, I have to stop at three places to install a software update, which is supposed to take less than 10 minutes per place, but as usual, I'm worried that I'm going to accidentally gently caress them up in some horrible, terrible way.

I'll also have my laptop, but it's from like 2013, so it'll run Reaper and Renoise just fine, but I'm a little limited in VST choice - I generally just use romplers on it. I also got my old LPK-25 back, which will go in my laptop bag as soon as I find a USB-B cable for it...

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 11, 2022

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

in my experience the less gear i bring with me, the more i get into it and learn something

also a laptop from 2013 can run a lot of cool audio stuff. i did a full 1h30 live stream copying my ableton set to my 2009 mbp while the main laptop was away being serviced

embrace the limits and all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

4lokos basilisk posted:

in my experience the less gear i bring with me, the more i get into it and learn something

ive got this little setup that is a paperback-sized 50w amp, a ripoff fender jaguar that i did a fret job on that plays great now, and this 2017 era dell laptop with my plugins and its a lot of fun to plug into just that and nothing else

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if I ever get back into playing live gigs then my live rig is going to definitely involve a MacBook air, and five years ago I wouldn't have even imagined having a guitar rig that involved a laptop let alone a fancy piece of apple kit and also didn't have a cabinet at all

but here I am, running ableton and the helix editor on a mac that doesn't even have a fan and a distressingly efficient battery

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

ive got this little setup that is a paperback-sized 50w amp, a ripoff fender jaguar that i did a fret job on that plays great now, and this 2017 era dell laptop with my plugins and its a lot of fun to plug into just that and nothing else

for the purposes of learning the mpc1000 i only have that and a laptop. i am so used to playing on a piano like keyboard that its hard to do it on the pads, but its ok because i am learning

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Well, this sucks... after driving for about 6 hours, I get here at 4:15, because I'm told that the call is at 6. I get here, rest a bit, go to site, and I'm not supposed to be there until about 9, and I just can't do anything productive if I have a call that I need to worry about. Then, I didn't get back to the hotel until about 10:30. I don't have to get up *too* early, but today has just loving killed my motivation to do anything productive.

Anyways, I've started screwing around with a program I impulse bought on a sale called Visual Synthesizer. It does visuals for sound you feed at it, and you can mess around with how the image is generated. I've just been messing around with presets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGMXfH-QuI.

I want to get more into making videos - I bought a horse mask for this purpose, but I'm still too shy to actually appear in a video.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 12, 2022

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I finally picked up some flat-response monitor headphones and oh my god I can hear everything. :staredog:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

I finally picked up some flat-response monitor headphones and oh my god I can hear everything. :staredog:

what make & model?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

4lokos basilisk posted:

what make & model?

I got the old Sony MDR-7506es. I was also looking at the ATH-M50X but people seemed to complain those were a little uncomfortable, so I went with the Sonys. I was wearing them for a good 3 hours just now working in Ableton and they never got uncomfy, so I'm pleased with that choice.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

I got the old Sony MDR-7506es. I was also looking at the ATH-M50X but people seemed to complain those were a little uncomfortable, so I went with the Sonys. I was wearing them for a good 3 hours just now working in Ableton and they never got uncomfy, so I'm pleased with that choice.

those look good. i think i have used them once or twice
my daily driver since like 10+ years ago is beyerdynamic dt770 pro, and recently i started using it with sonarworks reference which flattens the freq response even more, and i am pretty happy

still its a good idea to listen on different speakers / cans to get an idea how the mix translates, too (this is mosty advice for myself because i seem to only listen on the main headphones recently)

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

4lokos basilisk posted:

those look good. i think i have used them once or twice
my daily driver since like 10+ years ago is beyerdynamic dt770 pro, and recently i started using it with sonarworks reference which flattens the freq response even more, and i am pretty happy

still its a good idea to listen on different speakers / cans to get an idea how the mix translates, too (this is mosty advice for myself because i seem to only listen on the main headphones recently)

For sure, I also try to also listen to my stuff on my phone and on the crappy speakers on my TV. I figure if it sounds okay on those then it's probably good to go

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

AtomD posted:

thinking about number stations had me wondering you could use DUGA interference as the backbone of a beat if you hosed with it enough

not sure if i'd gently caress around more, but here's an attempt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ktiZg0mII
My buddy and I used it as a lead in to a cover of Eve Of Destruction.
I'll post it when I find it again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

For sure, I also try to also listen to my stuff on my phone and on the crappy speakers on my TV. I figure if it sounds okay on those then it's probably good to go

I too like to role play as a person whose music will ever listened to by someone else

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I got the old Sony MDR-7506es.
i get such a wisp of... nostalgia for lack of a better word for the 7506

when my folks brought home their first cd player, it was a pair of discmans with 7506s or their predecessors. 30 years later and i'm wearing a pair now. wish the cord didnt tangle so drat much tho

current music status: at the computer with a dx7 emulator and chowning's FM Theory and Applications. gonna understand this poo poo once and for all

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I finished up making video/visual content for the 4 tracks i'm done with. This comprises "Music Folder #1" from "Goth Billionaire". It's an EP more or less.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLej83f6G8NQt-5WTfm8MOEBiTVeyD9OAS

Pretty fun experiment and one of the few music things I've "finished" in the decade + of music production. I ran out of time on the visuals, so they're pretty spotty. I don't think I'll attempt this again because it took forever and don't add as much as I'd like, because I don't really have that much experience in the visual side of things. I'd rather focus on the music and maybe do visuals for one thing at a time.

The clip that looks best overall is the one that probably took the least time, with the song that has the least time spent on it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkkNhbZCZGE

I'll probably either go make some more chill house music or double down on the distortion chaos.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
good job on actually finishing something, that's one of the hardest bits. Nice tracks and vids too.

Last night I stumbled across DJ Q-berts YouTube channel and it got me all inspired to get a new mixer, new needle and get back into scratching for the first time in like 10 years. I'll be using my old breaks/scratch records for now but the mixer I got works with Serato so I might give that a go in the future.

Also made a Reaktor patch a few years ago that was supposed to generate random music...was a bit useless for making 'music' but it did basically generate grotty scratch loops on demand so looking forward to giving that a shot. Might plug it into the modular too and play with the expression pedal I got for my guitar.

Man I'm gonna suck but I can't wait

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's very satisfying to pull off a reaktor patch that does what you want

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Two books were massively ace in helping me grok what's happening in FM synthesis:

The first is the OG, FM Theory and Applications, Chowning and Bristow's own book. Written for musicians that remember enough math from high school, so it's not a hard read at all. It approaches FM from a mathematical and algorithmic approach and is great for understanding the basics (which is more than enough to tool around).

The second is FM Synthesis of Real Instruments. This book covers a little bit of FM theory but focuses more on how to reverse engineer real-world timbres into FM-ish equivalents. This book is better for understanding how patches are actually made and what makes them unique/interesting.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh man, teenage engineering has a modular thing now? I'm definitely tempted, though I do think their stuff is a bit on the overpriced side.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

been working on this off and on for that last week or so. started putting it together while doing some world building with some friends for a new game campaign with lots of space stuff in it.

the back half of synth stuff is still super rough but it's fun to work on

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/space-lol-wip1/s-KzyQM9tfPXk?si=51db9ff4086640cda84304ce6e79b717

also completed this last week but have been too lazy to upload it. chill type electronic type stuff

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/go-to-sleep-already

it's been about a year since i started making music stuff. looks like i did 33 tracks last year. not bad at all.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

is covering daft punk haram? because I have an idea for a modern coheed-esque prog synth rock cover of "get lucky"

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Oh man, teenage engineering has a modular thing now? I'm definitely tempted, though I do think their stuff is a bit on the overpriced side.

i saw a youtube and was pretty meh.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
did a remix EP for some pals a while back and it's finally officially released here https://open.spotify.com/album/0Fyd86ufliIWnKalSy0aHF?si=OMZRuK6uTT2atuXGeFN1_g

i'm really happy with this one tho the levels might be a little hot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

is covering daft punk haram? because I have an idea for a modern coheed-esque prog synth rock cover of "get lucky"

just do it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

echinopsis posted:

just do it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

echinopsis posted:

just do it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

something for the fans of slow moving music like earth https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/2022-3452a

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

double post, but today my album got released by what appears to be a real record label. really happy about it although it took a long time

click if you might like 47 minutes of generative ambient https://slowtonecollages.bandcamp.com/album/generations-20200612

also shout out to TayterSwift for in a way inspiring this stuff with their weird and cool delay thing they shared a while ago and i for some reason can't find anymore

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I barely remember but glad to be of service <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some shop is trolling me by putting this thing on blowout

wanted one for a while now. RESISTING! for now

When i first saw a pic of it, i was like "that's cool, too bad they don't make it in right-hande----ohhhhhhhhh"