Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Hell Blasters on Switch is really cool. Video doesn't express how well it plays. The scoring system is based on chaining hits, but it's super generous. Also the leader boards are almost blank right now so if you've ever wanted to see your name up there now is the time to try! The easiest difficulty mode, dubbed Journalist, is a cakewalk, so if anyone's on the fence due to challenge this would be a perfect entry point. All leaderboard scores include replays too! For $10 it's totally worth it.

A bit more re:mechanics:
The super shot charges by shooting enemies with normal bullets, with charge accumulating faster at close range. Super shots cancel enemy bullets, so there's incentive to get in close, charge up, fire super to clear bullets, repeat.

Story mode is pretty brilliant and I hope more games include it. Its "levels" are actually fragments of arcade mode levels presented one at a time, each with their own independent high score. I like it as an alternative to more sterile training modes.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i'm at the point where i can no-hit deathsmiles up to castle hades. working on making it my first 1cc, though i might try to complete crimzon clover in the meantime, or maybe find something a bit easier than that to get my confidence up.

it's a bummer that the raiden fighters series doesnt have a good pc port (there's one on steam, but apparently it's a broken mess). those are some of my alltime faves

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I'm this close to finally 1cc'ing Zero Gunner 2, but those two jerkwad robots in the last level always gently caress me up with some lucky shot so that the final boss can do me in. Maybe tomorrow will be different...

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The big company behind THQ Nordic has acquired Tatsujin and the Toaplan IP:

https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20220818-15037/

They intend to bring Toaplan's games to Steam/GOG. Out Zone and Zero Wing's pages are already up.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2011900/Zero_Wing/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2022920/Out_Zone/

It's currently not known whether this will affect M2's plans for Toaplan Arcade Garage.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

bees x1000 posted:

They intend to bring Toaplan's games to Steam/GOG. Out Zone and Zero Wing's pages are already up.

move zig move zig move zig move zig move zig move zig

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's a good PC SHMUP to get into?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lawman 0 posted:

Danmaku Unlimited 3 is a good start, easy to learn, cheap.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Crimzon Clover if you want a bullet hell, Zero Ranger if you like pixels.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 18, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jamestown!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the cool kids play Cambria Sword

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Love this thread! I love these games, even if I've never cleared a single one. R-Type DX was one of my favorite games on the Game Boy. I enjoy the Touhou series, the main games at least, some of the fan stuff gets a little weird. Said to myself last year that I'd give the genre a real go. I've played a few things on Android like Bullet Hell Monday, and a cheap and kinda bad Aces of the Luftwaffe Squadron on PS4.

But that Full Extent of the Jam guide has encouraged me to focus on Touhou 18 so that's what I'll be playing, trying for a 1cc on Easy and Normal, with an eye towards scoring.

Cool to see that the Switch has so many good shmup options! I'll have to nab a few games on that cause playing a handheld brings me back to those R-Type DX days.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Welcome! Keep us updated on your progress. R-Type Dimensions is a great port if you'd like to revisit it.

Here's that big list of Switch shmups on Deku Deals again:https://www.dekudeals.com/lists/h9wbjf?sort=release_date

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jamestown owns, im also voting for it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Deviant posted:

move zig move zig move zig move zig move zig move zig

That's one I tried out for the meme, and ended up getting hooked hard by the music. Definitely like the
Genesis/Mega Drive "All Your Base" version
better, which was arranged by Noriyuki Iwadare, later known for the Langrisser and Lunar series, not to mention a number of Ace Attorney games.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Yeah I did not know until a month ago that Zero Wing is actually a really good game

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I’d love to try some shmuppin on my iPhone - any recommendations for iOS?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

Yeah I did not know until a month ago that Zero Wing is actually a really good game

All Toaplan games are, brother. Check Fire Shark next and then Truxton/Tatsujin.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

madmatt112 posted:

Espgaluda II. All Cave game ports for touch screen are actually rather well done, but start with that one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

madmatt112 posted:

Aka to Blue is the one I bring up, Bullet Hell Monday and Danmaku Unlimited 3 have come up a few times. Almost forgot rRootage is on there too but no clue about the quality.

Cave has a few ports that are solid (if they still work), but DoDonPachi Maximum is the most mobile friendly in the way it's structured and such...cause it was made for mobile to begin with.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Saoshyant posted:

Espgaluda II. All Cave game ports for touch screen are actually rather well done, but start with that one.

Espgaluda II was never fixed. The only Cave games updated to 64bit are the DDP's and Deathsmiles.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Espgaluda II was never fixed. The only Cave games updated to 64bit are the DDP's and Deathsmiles.

Oh, bugger. Had no idea the good stuff became lost. loving mobile gaming.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Well that is all very good to get started with, thanks folks!!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Saoshyant posted:

All Toaplan games are, brother. Check Fire Shark next and then Truxton/Tatsujin.

Holy poo poo these are hard. Truxton is quite appealing. Gotta admit checkpoints drive me nuts

Testing out some TG16 CD stuff tonight. I don't like most them mechanically but they're all gorgeous. Spriggan kicks a ton of rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb5q0mXmIo4

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
New links added to OP:

Bullet hell shmup design guide:
https://twitter.com/boghogooo/status/1520874464078090246
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iM9Fc2DsPppedlJVDYQ3g1VB5sFfilomGIYFIwJka9w/edit

The Electric Underground addresses critical attitudes toward shmups and misunderstandings around their mechanics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CziyNG8ls3A

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's that one where you can throw cats? I think pretty recentish. Maybe not pure shmup, but superficially,

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Neko Navy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HFzCekqd8

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
drat, that sounds even more fun than the Pie Launcher in Harmful Park.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations earlier folks - ended up grabbing Raging Blasters and Progear. Haven't sunk much time into Progear but the visual style is stunning, working on Normal mode of Raging Blasters at the moment and inching towards a 1CC.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Right now I am cutting my teeth on Danmaku Unlimited 3 (On Easy mode...), and while it is a fine game, I kind of wish it has a more chunkier, pixel art asthetic.

Yes I have ZeroRanger.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's one of the reasons i like jamestown so much

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
Didn't see Pawarumi in the easy shmup recommandations, so here it goes. It's a nice shmup with a color -based rock-paper-scissors gimmick. It's set in a SF-mayan theme.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Besides being a huge Touhou nerd, I'd like to give a shoutout to often-forgotten shmup (by legendary shmup makers Cave) Guwange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb1WUezaIl4

This actually had an Xbox 360 release about ten years ago, too, and should still be available for purchase. It's got some unique aesthetics and a special mechanic where you have this little ghost guy following you around that you can use to deal damage or pick up point items. It's pretty cool.

Another favorite is Dimahoo a.k.a. Great Mahou Daisakusen (by Raizing, another big company), a weird fantasy/steampunkish sort of thing? You switch between red and blue elements to increase the damage you do and the points system is kind of weird and complicated, but the game is fun. It's arcade-only, unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o59JQOqz_cU

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 20, 2022

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

This thread motivated me to try out some shmups. And the Full Extent of the Jam guide gave me a new perspective on how people enjoy these games.

And now I’m incredibly hooked. I started with Touhou 7 and Mushihimesama on the Switch.

Does anyone use an arcade stick? The tiny Switch controls started to hurt my hands within 2 staves.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Nice! Try out some alternate control schemes to help your hands. For certain games I much prefer rapid shot set on the left trigger. For arcade sticks look into Hori, Mayflash and 8bitdo's offerings. Tall thumbstick caps are excellent for the joycon as well. Strongly suggest picking up Crimzon Clover ASAP

Re: Guwange an Dimahoo, those are both perfect examples of the insane rococo design that typifies the late 90s stg scene. Worth credit feeding through for the art and music alone.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 21, 2022

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Thanks for the arcade stick recommendations. When I started poking around the internet about them it seemed like all the information was for people wanting to build a custom arcade stick, which seemed a bit out of my depth. I'll definitely check out Crimson Clover, it seems to be pretty much universally liked.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jester Mcgee posted:

Thanks for the arcade stick recommendations. When I started poking around the internet about them it seemed like all the information was for people wanting to build a custom arcade stick, which seemed a bit out of my depth. I'll definitely check out Crimson Clover, it seems to be pretty much universally liked.

yeah, you can go that way, and/or you can get weird with it, like Bob Wulff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn7xL-vFdPc

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations earlier folks - ended up grabbing Raging Blasters and Progear. Haven't sunk much time into Progear but the visual style is stunning, working on Normal mode of Raging Blasters at the moment and inching towards a 1CC.
Ooh is Raging Blasters basically a Star Soldier homage? I remember getting into the caravan one on the Wii shop way back, can't remember if that ever got fleshed out to a full game or exists anywhere else.

Unlucky7 posted:

Right now I am cutting my teeth on Danmaku Unlimited 3 (On Easy mode...), and while it is a fine game, I kind of wish it has a more chunkier, pixel art asthetic.

Yes I have ZeroRanger.
Kinda like it as an alternative cause it seems like so much else is already chunky as far as shmups go :v:. Overall it feels...perfectly cromulent, I need to put more time into it.

Picardy Beet posted:

Didn't see Pawarumi in the easy shmup recommandations, so here it goes. It's a nice shmup with a color -based rock-paper-scissors gimmick. It's set in a SF-mayan theme.
Haven't played this in a while but the Switch one felt a little laggy iirc. Looks nice but never clicked with the 3 color setup as far as being able to consistently/immediately attack with the right color. But yeah difficulty wise it seemed pretty friendly if you're looking for that and fancy graphics.

Jester Mcgee posted:

Yeah the arcade stick community is heavy on customization cause you kinda want to do it to the cheaper sticks to make them better, while the nicer ones can get pricey enough that you might as well consider going full custom at some point. From a quick search on Amazon for Switch compatible sticks:

The 8bitdo one is decent, easily moddable iirc, and unlike 99% of sticks out there (including customs) it can also do wireless:
https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Arcade-Stick-Switch-Windows-nintendo/dp/B08GJC5WSS/

Mayflash is a decent generic but cheaper and iirc another moddable one to work with:
https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Arcade-Stick-F101-Switch/dp/B07D26RD9P/

On the higher end is the Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP) but not sure the Switch version is still on sale, no buying options on Amazon it seems. Might be able to find them used for decently cheap.

If you use a ~$20-30 adapter like the Mayflash Magic ones, you can use whatever sticks for PS3/4 and such that open up the options, like the Qanba Drone:
https://www.amazon.com/Qanba-Drone-PlayStation-4/dp/B01I0GEDEY/

Haven't seen this one so don't know much about it, but conceptually this stuff is cool if you're used to keyboards:
https://www.amazon.com/Joystick-Controller-Fighting-Nintendo-Xbox-One/dp/B09D7NJ1NJ/

On the wackier but similar end of things is custom keyboard stuff on Etsy like thnikk's Fightboards:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thnikk?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=786877857

(...then there's Hit Boxes and Snack Boxes but I'm thinking that layout might be weird for shooters)

As for myself I have a full custom mini one I did, an AllFightSticks custom (also mini)...and Sega Astro City and Taito Vewlix cabs. And a Blast City but still haven't gotten that set up yet. And an old modded MadCatz stick which is lost somewhere at my parents' house :ughh:. Oh and a Fightboard LP! It's basically the most portable "stick" that I bring around if I don't want to bring my actual stick.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

japtor posted:

Aka to Blue is the one I bring up, Bullet Hell Monday and Danmaku Unlimited 3 have come up a few times. Almost forgot rRootage is on there too but no clue about the quality.

Cave has a few ports that are solid (if they still work), but DoDonPachi Maximum is the most mobile friendly in the way it's structured and such...cause it was made for mobile to begin with.

if you do get bullet hell monday, shell out a few bucks up front for bullet hell monday black, it's a complete game with no tedious upgrades that make you wanna shell out for micro transactions

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

japtor posted:

Haven't played this in a while but the Switch one felt a little laggy iirc. Looks nice but never clicked with the 3 color setup as far as being able to consistently/immediately attack with the right color. But yeah difficulty wise it seemed pretty friendly if you're looking for that and fancy graphics.

not only is each color weak/strong against other colors, correct attack color is also how you charge your shields and bombs. there's a lot of stuff to remember, like, I'm sure it looked really elegant on paper, but shmups don't generally leave a lot of brain time left over after the constant high speed precise dodging and weaving