Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I was kinda high last night and left myself a note to play Borderlands 2 again and report back and can confirm today that it is still the game's peak.
Tales from the Borderlands > BL 2 > BL3 > BL Presequel > BL1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just this short quick clip here, where you're expecting a zombie to jump up a la Dead Space, but no :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teQW8_m6Wuw&t=251s
^^ timestamped

Expectations: subverted

Semi related to this post, has there been a spiritual successor to left 4 dead? This video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRLNUGmFC8

Really makes me appreciate just how good it was, and how awesome it was to see all the animations of the enemies, to really feel like a wave was crashing down on you when a horde was coming, you'd shoot at it and see impacts but it was like shooting at a wave in the ocean... it makes a splash but doesn't stop it.

(so no I don't count Back 4 Blood as a successor, I haven't played it but the video isn't flattering)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've beat all the yakuza games, and the shenmue games, so I'm at a loss for what's next besides Sifu and Ghost of Tsushima which are on platforms I don't use

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

INCREDIBLE NARRATIVE TWIST or whatever. why take a chill exploration game and then force the player to always be in a hurry

spoilers about the types of things you learn, not the content: you will learn answers to questions that you should already have. you are in a time loop. why are you in a time loop? why do you have memory of previous cycles in this time loop, but apparently no one else does? what happened to the nomai? why is the sun exploding?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've beat all the yakuza games, and the shenmue games, so I'm at a loss for what's next besides Sifu and Ghost of Tsushima which are on platforms I don't use
i have only finished yakuza 3 but i have yakuza 0, kiwami, 4+5 on ps3, 6 and like a dragon. i should probably get to playing these

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ADINSX posted:

to really feel like a wave was crashing down on you when a horde was coming, you'd shoot at it and see impacts but it was like shooting at a wave in the ocean... it makes a splash but doesn't stop it.

The hordes in DAYS GONE were a fun encounter, early in the game when you don't have any quality weaponry and you round a corner on your bike and there are several hundred zombies in the road, hoo boy. Then when you get some decent offense and can go horde hunting, rattling off a drum of tommygun ammo into the onrushing mass and then booking it for your bike to set up your next assault, it was kinda thrilling. Shame there'll never be a DG2, I would be there day one.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

i have only finished yakuza 3 but i have yakuza 0, kiwami, 4+5 on ps3, 6 and like a dragon. i should probably get to playing these

4 is the worst one, yakuza 0 and 5 are amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeiJhKIA6ds

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kenny Logins posted:

Tales from the Borderlands >

really? ok ima have to play this

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yakuza 3 gets a bad rap I feel

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

really? ok ima have to play this
it's like $20 at most these days, as long as you can tolerate late-stage telltale game mechanics it's worth it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=434rBX_G85o

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIxvy7aoxjE

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

smoka given i've only played 3 should i play 0 or kiwami next

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

while I was on probe I finished shenmue 2 and 3, and I really really want to play Sifu but it's not on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3R2CNhLWA

yeah, sifu looks good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

play kiwami so you know the characters, then play yakuza 0 and it'll be even better. kiwami is only like 20 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POr6EH3KVsI

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

play kiwami so you know the characters, then play yakuza 0 and it'll be even better. kiwami is only like 20 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POr6EH3KVsI
ty will do

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

kiwami is more story driven and only like 20-25 hours long, and you'll learn about all the gangster families , then yakuza 0 is a skip back to the 80s and a huge game

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've played all the yakuza games, I beat 1 and 2 on playstation 2, then the remakes kiwami 1 and 2, and all the games

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I didn't play the zombie shooter games but I probably should, I don't know if they're translated. I am very into yakuza

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkRDWFuVSd0

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

kiwami is more story driven and only like 20-25 hours long, and you'll learn about all the gangster families , then yakuza 0 is a skip back to the 80s and a huge game
i liked yakuza 3 a fair bit but is it considered the weakest? the recap videos made 1 and 2 seem kind of uhhh worse

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've played all the yakuza games, I beat 1 and 2 on playstation 2, then the remakes kiwami 1 and 2, and all the games
what's your top 3

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

what's your top 3

yakuza 0
yakuza 5
yakuza 3

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yakuza 0
yakuza 5
yakuza 3
useful scale for me. what are #s 4 and 5 for top 5?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i only played 0 and it was so good that starting kiwami seemed like kind of a letdown by comparison. maybe ill give it another go

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

useful scale for me. what are #s 4 and 5 for top 5?

yakuza 4 is the worst one

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yakuza 4 is the worst one
what about yakuza 5 and like a dragon?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
literally double fisting some MMOs on this blessed saturday

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

what about yakuza 5 and like a dragon?

5 is loving amazing and one of the best games ever. 4 is a loving slog. it's actually like they realized that 4 was so bad and fixed everything for yakuza 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVXUiuP0Mw

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kenny Logins posted:

Play 0, then kiwami.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

7 was amazing. Ichiban isn’t Kiryu but he’s an amazing character in his own right.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lysidas posted:

spoilers about the types of things you learn, not the content: you will learn answers to questions that you should already have. you are in a time loop. why are you in a time loop? why do you have memory of previous cycles in this time loop, but apparently no one else does? what happened to the nomai? why is the sun exploding?

i'm in a time loop because me and that other guy looked at a statue that has magical memory propagation powers. the implication is that the statues were created because the nomai want to fire a probe in a different direction on every time loop since you can clearly see it firing in different directions every time you wake up, even though the south observatory does not explicitly state this that's the natural implication. what happened to the nomai? no idea, but something fires a probe at T+0 when you wake up and all the nomai except the dead guy on the draining desert planet look like they've been dead for a while. no idea why the sun is exploding, i thought at first it was because the probe cannon was being overdriven and the sun station is feeding it power and overdriving the sun station causes the sun to immediately (in 20 min) go supernova, but that doesn't explain why pretty much every other star in the surrounding sky is also popping off which really is one of the more low-key unnerving aspects of the setting once you encounter an npc who points it out.

no idea where it's going with the ~quantum~ stuff except that maybe that's why the eye is so elusive. no idea what is going on with the space vines with their teleporters and the aah poo poo ahh gently caress ahhh giant angler fish that immediately wake up and eat you jesus christ gently caress no. no idea what is going on with any of the teleporter pairs other than the one you inevitably fall into on the hollow planet. no idea what's going on with the fact that riding a teleporter takes you one second back in time but it seems very significant. eyes seem to be a big underlying theme.

speculating is fun! but having to set an objective and fixate on it on each loop and execute all the necessary movement at a brisk pace is somewhat less fun. i'm finding myself quitting and restarting a lot just because losing a few minutes here or there makes continuing the loop pointless a lot of the time. gently caress that dark maze on the way to the high energy lab, but i think once i make it there i'll have run out of major unexplored areas so hopefully that area tells me a bit more about what is going on. or maybe i'll check out the comet, i haven't found anything there yet.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

nice, so you've done a pretty decent amount already, and yeah speculating is fun, im currently watching a twitch streamer playing this game (youtube recordings) that i hadnt seen before and its great to see the variety in how differently some people experience things from exploring things in different orders

one useful thing which is worth giving as a hint, about

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm finding myself quitting and restarting a lot

since you already found

Sapozhnik posted:

that other guy [who] looked at a statue that has magical memory propagation powers

talk to them again and ask how they stay so calm about repeatedly dying, this unlocks an option in the pause menu that lets you "die" at will while preserving your ship log of what you have learned so far at some point in a cycle

edit: pronouns

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 21, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Lysidas posted:

think i lost my first rimworld colony, i opened a sealed-away megaspider hive earlier than i should have, and recent events have led them to my base earlier than i am prepared for, i could load an earlier save and try to grab everything valuable and leave, but knowing a little more of the mechanics there are a few things id have done differently, so a new colony might be worthwhile

That's basically what I was doing when playing it. I never got anywhere near lategame because I'd either have a failure spiral or I'd learn something new that made me want to start a fresh colony with that knowledge in mind

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

oh yeah that is indeed useful, ty for the tip

that drat end of loop melody is going to haunt my nightmares. whoever composed it is a twisted and evil genius.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
some thinking out loud re: where i'm currently at in outer wilds after reaching the Southern Observatory, High Energy Lab, Black Hole Forge, and Location Six.

- Ash Twin Project is an extremely hardened data storage facility containing twelve? ish? masks. Three are active (or are they?)
- Two active masks are linked to me and the other astronaut. One is unaccounted for.
- If the unaccounted mask is the one living Nomai found at Location Six then he didn't mention it.
- The fact that most of them are inactive suggests that ATP failed in some way, unsurprisingly.
- ATP is also at one end of a 22-minute long time loop and is keeping my memories alive across loops.
- Projection stones linked to ATP show it whirling through open space, not surrounded by a hardened shell.
- The only location which matches that description is the probe. So ATP isn't actually on Ash Twin but on the probe?
- Why is, or was, ATP on the probe? I'm not too clear on how projection stones actually work wrt space and time so maybe it isn't.
- But if it's not then what is that projection stone showing exactly.
- ATP could still work at Ash Twin in principle since it could send its recording back 22 minutes right before it gets annihilated.
- Maybe Loop N ATP warps itself onto the Loop N+1 probe and replays memories from there? Dunno why it would.
- But again, either something at ATP travels 22 minutes back in time or something arrives at ATP from 22 minutes forward in time.
- I only paired with a mask on Loop 1. How did that propagate? Is ATP itself physically travelling through the loop?
- Why do large amounts of material need to be warped to (from?) Ash Twin to/from all of the other planets for ATP?
- Timber Hearth contains minerals for the shell but I haven't discovered anything on the other planets connected to ATP.
- Warp tile targeting for the Hourglass Twins is repeatedly flagged up as a problem and it might have doomed ATP.
- Implication is that the Nomai are repeatedly blowing up the sun to power their probe time loop and gathering info 22 minutes at a time.
- This is why they think the Sun Station is risky, they are afraid they might not be able to stop the time loop, not that it might blow up the sun (that is its intended purpose)
- But why are they all long dead??? And who if anybody is even alive to keep controlling this thing?
- Also why are so many other stars exploding?
- If the Nomai are blowing them up then that would involve a lot of distortion or duplication of space and people/stars in it, possibly by the Vessel.
- Either the Nomai are blowing them up or the Eye is, the story contains no other powerful agents so far, it's probably not the Hearthians(?) doing it.
- Finally, the Eye is the source of :airquote: macroscopic quantum phenomena :airquote: but what is it?
- It's an eye. Eyes generally observe things. Obvious answer is that it is what observes the universe and perhaps created it for observation.
- What happens when the observer is observed by the observed? If it's anything like its "offspring" then it and perhaps the entire universe will stop but probably nothing good either way.
- Why does the eye cause "quantum stuff"? Why and how did it send a signal? No idea, nothing to go on yet. But spacetime warping and "quantum stuff" are the two primal forces of this story.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

its taking all my energy to not point out a couple somethings in that cia document

goddamn I love outer wilds. it's fun to see what directions people go and the conclusions they reach, so do keep posting :allears:

(e)

Sapozhnik posted:

that drat end of loop melody is going to haunt my nightmares. whoever composed it is a twisted and evil genius.
andrew prahlow, and yes he is incredibly good at setting up Moods. my top tracks are in places you haven't said you've been to yet so buckle up

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 21, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Outer Wilds was pretty fun. Much better than Outer Worlds

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

outer worlds' light-behind-an-ear simulation was really good

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’ll just say it all comes together in the end. almost everyone who finishes outer wilds figures it all out into a coherent narrative and there are no glaring loose ends