Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Sorry, should have been more specific — looking for 4K UHD Disc players. Don’t know if it’s a chip shortage thing or just a niche product but prices seem basically flat on them from like four years ago

Enos Cabell posted:

e: the Sony UBP-X700 UHD bluray player is under $150 and has 4k/dv streaming apps built in too.

If you got a link I’ll take it but only one I see at that price is used

morestuff fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean, $145 for something that plays UHD discs and can stream 4k content seems pretty dang reasonable to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HXF9H2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I mean, $145 for something that plays UHD discs and can stream 4k content seems pretty dang reasonable to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HXF9H2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, I saw that too but it’s for a used player

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I saw that too but it’s for a used player

Oh drat, didn't notice that. Well that sucks, I paid $148 for the same (new) model in 2018.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the market is shrinking with Samsung’s exit and disc players are enough of a niche now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Which is interesting because there are tons of 4k disc releases for almost all movies.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Same as some other go-rounds, I got a console to use as a disc player. For 4K discs I got a $200 Xbox One S at Black Friday mostly to use as a disc player, that could do some games and stuff too, and knowing the hardware will last an eternity and be resalable down the road, plus it's from a company that will for sure do what they can to continue any software/codec/etc. support for the life of the product. It's kind of overkill, but there are some big perks, and I never got around to it but looks like you can get a media remote. We're in a funky spot though, last I saw a 5 year old used Xbone might still have an asking price of original MSRP which is nutso, but also the actual new hardware is still at the it's-brand-new jacked up price.

Either way, don't forget you can rent 4K UHD discs, don't deprive yourself especially all y'all grabbing new OLEDS of juicy highass bitrate video sources! Gamefly is doing UHD rentals finally, and started a $9/mo budget sub option for not-new games and movies as many as you want 1 at a time, and they have a pretty solid system for quickly mailing things in and out. There's also the fake looking but it's actually legit site https://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/ who starts at $9/mo for 1 at a time UHD discs limit of 2 per month, there were doing UHD rentals way before Gamefly but at least back at the time I used them the shipping back and forth and general budget available for the web site and all just wasn't great you could tell it was a small company. Maybe they're better on how the plans are or better selection or something idk but it's an option besides Gamefly. But that's nine dollars a month to watch 2+ UHD discs in super definition quality video and sound it's cool they look real good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also I super appreciate that the 4k discs you buy give you a digital code so you could have the movie anywhere.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah my PS5 is just fine and looks great, but Dolby Vision is only available on it for apps and not for discs. A stand-alone player would be a luxury for a few small perks which is why I’d rather not pay full boat

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I haven't had a DV TV and hadn't paid attention, figured even if one flubbed it the other console would've implemented. Ridiculous that Sony and MS both support it, but not for the one legal media format that would best make use of it.

I was happy last night sound wise with my Xbosex, have dumb overkill on speaker count (like should have fewer better quality speakers but whatever) with a uhh..4.1.2? setup in the garage where I can just spread the speakers everywhere and crank it. Atmos on the Xbox needed a free app download which included some neat atmos demos. I ended up only throwing in the Akira Blu-ray for a while I hadn't gotten around to opening for years, it sounded fantastic, but I've gotta give that setup the Fury Road 4k disc with Atmos treatment and see how that is cause the audio at least should all be played back properly. Just unfortunate that now one room has a good TV and uses built in speakers, other room has a great medium budget sound setup and disc player but connected to a 50" TCL 4 Series which looks really nice for the price but, ya know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy that studios are coming out with as much 4k physical media as they are. Keep in mind though that DVD was still outselling blu-ray so I can't even imagine what the take rate of 4k discs are at this point.

Honestly, they just need to stop selling regular blu-ray altogether and streamline production process since pretty much every 4k release comes with the normal blu-ray anyways.

I just don't know if the 4k physical market is going to get to the point where it pushes hardware prices much lower. Most people I know don't even have a disc player of any kind hooked up to their TV anymore. They did disc to digital on Vudu and went fully digital after that.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
User reviews for the "affordable" Sony & Panasonic 4K players seem to have many complaints that they don't last long, have crummy build quality, and/or freeze up on perfectly good discs, etc. I feel like the build quality of optical disc players in general has gotten really terrible and I hate to buy "disposable" electronics.

I'd be willing to pay $300-350 for something that is actually somewhat built to last. What happened to Pioneer? My Pioneer CD changer from 1986, which must weigh 25 pounds, worked for 30 years. And my Pioneer DVD player from '99, was good too, I used it forever and only dumped it years later not because it quit, but I needed to upgrade to something with progressive scan.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Number_6 posted:

What happened to Pioneer?
Sold to Onkyo, Onkyo almost went out of business twice before selling the consumer electronics business to a holding company at which point the rest of it died earlier this year. I’ve had a Sony x800m2 for a couple years and it’s been fine but my tv doesn’t do Dolby Vision and I probably watch fewer than 5 movies a week on it so I’m not the most demanding customer. If it dies I’ll probably replace it with the Teac/Tascam equivalent which is very expensive [$600] but I must have a disc player.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

qirex posted:

I probably watch fewer than 5 movies a week on it

Funny thing is I take part itt and am fairly neurotic when purchasing a TV but I watched a movie last night and it was the first one I've watched in...several weeks for sure. But then I probably watch a lot more sports on my TV than you do

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have my Apple TV for streaming, I wouldn’t recommend it as anything but a disc player, I’ve tried a few downloads on it and it has decent codec coverage but still more of a risk than just streaming via VLC.

Im not sure what people expect for it being “unresponsive” since the blu ray format itself has a ton of useless Java garbage bundled into it, I’ve found problems with stuff loading slow were down to the individual disc. Some load pretty much instantly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

HFR UHD came up in the GPU thread, so I ordered this bad movie to test it out.

LRADIKAL posted:

https://us.blu-raydisc.com/blog/latest_news/gemini-man-arrives-ultra-hd-blu-ray-60fps-frame-rate-dolby-vision/
this is the only 4k 60fps media i even need.

(seriously though have you watched this at 60fps? it's a good showcase of how much more information there is at that frame rate. Even at 1080p the detail looks stunning because of the increased temporal bits. unfortunately much of it suffers from the "soap opera" look which might be partly film making, partly culture. However there's a particular scene of driving down an alley at high speed that is visually unmatched in all but the sickest videogames.)

Any other high frame discs out there worth checking out? Motion smoothing drives me up a wall, but I'm interested to see what the best examples can look like.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Gemini Man isn’t that bad and is probably the only thing out there to use high frame rate in a cool, interesting way. Ang Lee also did Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk which is the only other high frame rate movie I’d recommend but it’s really not for everyone

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How are these combination disc players and streaming boxes when it comes to streaming? I have used a roku ultra for several years because tv integrated streaming always seems to lack processing power. Are these combo boxes as good as a roku and with similar levels of ap support?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Are these combo boxes as good as a roku and with similar levels of ap support?
Emphatically no.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Enos Cabell posted:

HFR UHD came up in the GPU thread, so I ordered this bad movie to test it out.

Any other high frame discs out there worth checking out? Motion smoothing drives me up a wall, but I'm interested to see what the best examples can look like.

Fun fact that I came across while researching actress Natalie Woods.
Her last film was a Sci-Fi film from the 1980's called Brainstorm about scientists inventing a machine to record memories.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstorm_(1983_film)

The original plan was all the flashback scenes were going to be recorded at 60FPS as a stylistic choice for how memories can seem more vivid than the real work. It got scraped for reasons, but who knows what would have happened if this had been adopted or used nearly 40 years ago.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

e: wrong thread. delete me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, tech support question.

I've got a 48" C1 OLED I'm using as my monitor.

Graphics card is a AMD Radeon 5600 XT

I'm routing it through a Denon amp using HDMI cables so I can also have it drive five point surround sound system.

Porblem:

WHen playing games, if the screen shifts to black for a moment (e.g., scene transitions, loading, etc.) or sometimes randomly mid-gameplay, the C1 will suddenly shift to "no signal" and show the default random impressionist art for five seconds or so.

It only happens when the game is taking up the full screen; if playing in a window with another part of the screen showing, so that the whole screen isn't blacked out, then everything proceeds normally.

Leads me to think it's something with the c1 oled settings that's making it freak out and think the computer is disconnected when it isn't.

Anyone familiar with this issue or know of a fix?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know of a fix but it's probably your GPU changing the resolution or display mode and that redoes the HDMI handshake. Try changing the mode to windowed full screen?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KillHour posted:

I don't know of a fix but it's probably your GPU changing the resolution or display mode and that redoes the HDMI handshake. Try changing the mode to windowed full screen?

I tried that and it seemd to make it worse.

What does fix it is running the game in a window with a size less than fullscreen, so that some other image shows and prevents the screen from going entirely dark. But that means running games in partial screen.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so this seller has samsungs for way cheaper than anyone else.

https://www.ebay.com/str/coolbeens

how is this possible? all the reviews say they check out just fine, but i still don't get how they can do this.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 16, 2022

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

abelwingnut posted:

so this seller has samsungs for way cheaper than anyone else.

https://www.ebay.com/str/coolbeens

how is this possible? all the reviews say they check out just fine, but i still don't get how they can do this.

Refurbs, stolen goods, or odd SKUs that won't be under warranty in this country. Negative reviews mention open box/modified electronics, so I suspect it's some mix of the three.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, tech support question.

I've got a 48" C1 OLED I'm using as my monitor.

Graphics card is a AMD Radeon 5600 XT

I'm routing it through a Denon amp using HDMI cables so I can also have it drive five point surround sound system.

Porblem:

WHen playing games, if the screen shifts to black for a moment (e.g., scene transitions, loading, etc.) or sometimes randomly mid-gameplay, the C1 will suddenly shift to "no signal" and show the default random impressionist art for five seconds or so.

It only happens when the game is taking up the full screen; if playing in a window with another part of the screen showing, so that the whole screen isn't blacked out, then everything proceeds normally.

Leads me to think it's something with the c1 oled settings that's making it freak out and think the computer is disconnected when it isn't.

Anyone familiar with this issue or know of a fix?

Ok, I think I figured out the problem here; it's the Denon receiver messing up the HDMI handshake. I think I need a HDMI splitter so I can split the signal from the GPU and send it to both the stereo and the c1 oled monitor independently, instead of routing to the monitor through the reciever.
Any suggestions on a good 4k HDMI splitter?

Comically, my GPU has one HDMI out and 3 displayport outs, while the tv and reciever have no displayport ins.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 20, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

have a general question that's been bugging me

when we went from SD to HD, obviously picture quality became much better looking. but it wasn't just the resolution, but the colors as well. HD footage always came off as much brighter and more vibrant. but i've read that there's no actual increase in the amount of colors that's accessible to HD as opposed to SD. so have i basically been fooled by an optical illusion all this time? 4k seems to be a similar phenomenon, but at least that can be explained by the addition of HDR, and not the resolution bump itself

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

when we went from SD to HD, obviously picture quality became much better looking. but it wasn't just the resolution, but the colors as well. HD footage always came off as much brighter and more vibrant. but i've read that there's no actual increase in the amount of colors that's accessible to HD as opposed to SD. so have i basically been fooled by an optical illusion all this time? 4k seems to be a similar phenomenon, but at least that can be explained by the addition of HDR, and not the resolution bump itself

I myself don't know poo poo about it, but when I google for info, I'm finding discussions that say that SD and HD use different color spaces and different color matrixes. (With the HD versions resulting in a wider color gamut.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think the increase in image fidelity will make colors pop more by virtue of not smearing them to poo poo.

Think VHS copy of Back to the Future vs the BluRay or DVD version?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr Interweb posted:

Television brightness has increased considerably compared to crt screens of the past. And the human eye has a tendency to equate color saturation with brightness as well.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 21, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your current TV probably has better color reproduction than whatever you had by a country mile.

What the hell did you have that wasn't even HD in TYOOL 2022!?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh wait, you meant like what screen wasn't HD. My bad

KillHour posted:

What the hell did you have that wasn't even HD in TYOOL 2022!?
Darkwing Duck.

There's a lot of random stuff like Small Wonder that maybe got a DVD but no one cares enough for an HD release.
Like, would ExoSquad get an HD release?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 21, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Oh wait, you meant like what screen wasn't HD. My bad

Darkwing Duck.

There's a lot of random stuff like Small Wonder that maybe got a DVD but no one cares enough for an HD release.
Like, would ExoSquad get an HD release?

i think they were referring to me

i only bought my first hdtv like 2 years ago :sweatdrop:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got an active HDMI cable to run from my desktop in my office out to the living room. I'd tested it prior, connected directly to the TV, worked fine. Of course when the time came to run it through the wall permanently, I decided to run it to the AVR and not test it first. Got it all done, I just got blue screen at first but eventually got it to come up, but at 30hz. Receiver is good for 4k60, so are the cables involved, so is the computer. I did get it to switch to 60hz but it didn't seem to last. When I launched a game it ran like poo poo, and I'd played before basically flawlessly when connected to the TV. When I got back to the desktop, I was at 30hz again. Cant wait to pull it back through and cut out a new hole to connect it to the TV :shepicide:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Is your receiver on the latest firmware? Though I guess 4k60 should be fine with most anything... Maybe also check the cable between the receiver and the TV?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Recently upgraded the cable between them as well, I'm obsessive over firmware and updates.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
is there some magic button to make a/v sync on an a80j work?

watching netflix + plex stuff (direct play always, never transcoding) on an apple tv 4k running through a marantz nr1608. tv is in "custom 1" picture mode.

i've tried the few sync options in the tv's menu, "auto lip sync" on the receiver, manual audio offset on the receiver, and some combinations of them all. i cant seem to find a setting that works, it always feels just slightly out of sync. i might just end up using the game picture mode for everything.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the best 75" tv I can get for under a grand? Primarily streaming, but also playing blu-ray rips, very occasionally streaming games from my PC or shield and never going to play DVDs.

85% of viewing time will be in a dark room

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The TCL 75S546 at $899 is probably the best bet. Other options are the Hisense U6G and U6H for $800, on sale. (Best Buy)
Only the TCL has local dimming.