Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Movie Magneto having an English accent makes sense to me since he went into Nazi-hunting after the Holocaust and probably went hard on becoming a globetrotting man of mystery

What I don't get is how comics Magneto went from child Holocaust survivor to simple farmer and family man to erudite intellectual Nazi hunter and proto-mutant supremacist. He must've had a very eventful few years after slaughtering the mob that killed Magda and them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I AM GRANDO posted:

Fassbender as well

His accent in his first X-Men movie is so weird. Like the scene at the end on the beach it is so different to how he spoke for the previous parts of the film. I assume it was the part they shot first and he hadn't decided on an accent at that point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Hopefully another outlet will pick it up, but man, if HBO Max won’t even do Batman or Looney Tunes projects anymore…

https://twitter.com/tvline/status/1561859792246816771?s=21&t=UzDES6zUNa929XpbFOstUw

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
So about halfway through season 5 of X-Men the animators changed up and budgets were cut and the show takes a hard nosedive as a result. I cannot recommend watching really any of season 5 as a result. Shame too as there was a Mr Sinister origin story in there that looked neat but I cannot stomach the poo poo animation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol if Disney gets Batman and Looney Tunes.

WB might as well just sell those IPs if they aren't gonna use them.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Barry Convex posted:

Hopefully another outlet will pick it up, but man, if HBO Max won’t even do Batman or Looney Tunes projects anymore…

https://twitter.com/tvline/status/1561859792246816771?s=21&t=UzDES6zUNa929XpbFOstUw

Motherfucker. Literally the thing I was worried about.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Passed on the spiritual successor to BtAS. Going to watch a bunch of old Godzilla and Samurai movies, and cancel HBO Max.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Passed on the spiritual successor to BtAS. Going to watch a bunch of old Godzilla and Samurai movies, and cancel HBO Max.

Good news! All those Godzilla movies are on Criterion Channel! (Probably at least some of the Samurai flicks too.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Caught up with the last couple episodes of Harley Quinn.
It's getting better at least? Still pretty low compared to seasons 1 and 2.

Though, I think I've nailed why it is falling so flat (for me). The crew isn't together. Some of the characters are there, but what made the show great was the flow of the story and how everyone bounced off each other. But everything this season has been so siloed that there is almost no room for plot cross pollination. Clayface has had pretty much zero screen time. King Shark had this latest episode, but it was completely devoid of any connection to the rest of the ongoing plot. And Psycho and Sy have vanished.

Catwoman was a fun secondary straightman to the group's antics in season 2, but she's become a regular now and with the increased focus on Ivy's plotline, we get too much tsukkomi and not enough boke. This isn't to say that a lot of the plot lines aren't fun on their face (e.g., Dad Joker, Bruce simping for Selena/general taking the piss out of the Bat Family, etc.) but it's all so disjointed.

Did they change writing staff or directors or something between seasons?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://deadline.com/2022/08/harley...ner-1235103863/

Hope Harley outlasts HBO max

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hope Young Justice which was doing even better also gets another season.

In other news some spoilery concept art and bios for the new Superman show.
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/talkingnerd/694061134652817408

I quite like the style.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
harley going batman tas today is good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man that Mxy is absolutely an anime character

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I think the look fits him well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Very random thought which occurred to me today: I think we've all heard the story about why Conroy was asked to stick to using just his Batman voice for the character even when not in the cowl in later seasons, the 'it'll confuse the kids' excuse, but after the recent story he wrote for the DC Pride special, it hit me... They thought his Bruce Wayne voice sounded too gay, didn't they?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

Very random thought which occurred to me today: I think we've all heard the story about why Conroy was asked to stick to using just his Batman voice for the character even when not in the cowl in later seasons, the 'it'll confuse the kids' excuse, but after the recent story he wrote for the DC Pride special, it hit me... They thought his Bruce Wayne voice sounded too gay, didn't they?

Wouldn't be too surprising if we're being honest

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

If only he could still be voiced by Gilbert Gottfried.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hope Young Justice which was doing even better also gets another season.

In other news some spoilery concept art and bios for the new Superman show.
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/talkingnerd/694061134652817408

I quite like the style.

Huh, Vicki Vale. I wonder if that means we can expect a certain cameo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I must have missed this being announced, what's the hook for this one? Lara and Jor-El are still around? Doesn't that miss half the point of Superman?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaz-L posted:

I must have missed this being announced, what's the hook for this one? Lara and Jor-El are still around? Doesn't that miss half the point of Superman?

Jor-El is a hologram or ai or something (This has been the case in a few things, though it’s normally just a message instead of something Supes can interact with). Lara is an evil duplicate made by Brainiac.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I was under the impression was that the main hook would be Lois as the star, seeing as how the series title is My Adventures With Superman.

I guess new versions of superman don't often really screw around much with his parents, but I don't think it changes that much. The design paragraph for Lara says that she's a robot simulacrum made by Brainiac anyways. Also I've been reading some about Krypton lately and how weird it was, so it sounds like they're going to illustrate it as differently weird, so a little disappointing to me, but hey weird aliens.

Oh yeah, also looks like they're going with the idea again that the english S in a diamond just coincidentally looks like the El family's coat of arms, which is a little dumb.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 14, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Jor-El is a hologram or ai or something (This has been the case in a few things, though it’s normally just a message instead of something Supes can interact with). Lara is an evil duplicate made by Brainiac.

In Man of Steel and Superman and Lois he's an advanced computer AI, I'm pretty sure that's usually the case in the comics. I think it's just the Donner film where he shows up, but is just a recording.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was under the impression was that the main hook would be Lois as the star, seeing as how the series title is My Adventures With Superman.

The joke's been made, probably even in this thread, but I do love Lois absolutely looks like she could be saying "The crime of the century, Smallville! Luthor made off with forty cakes! I can see the headline now! FOUR TENS!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

The joke's been made, probably even in this thread, but I do love Lois absolutely looks like she could be saying "The crime of the century, Smallville! Luthor made off with forty cakes! I can see the headline now! FOUR TENS!"

That's terrible

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some other art of the main characters. ( I do not know why Clark's is of lower quality as they are all from the same source)

I really like Lois' design.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would a bowtie on Jimmy Olson really be that out of place?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Somehow I feel like even in a superhero universe, yes, someone wearing a bowtie without being in a suit and/or wearing a costume of some sort is more unrealistic :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I AM GRANDO posted:

when a black guy wears a bowtie everyone assumes he's NOI

(Nation of Islam)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s a good point, but maybe it’s finally time for Superman to take out Yakub.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm tired of just black Jimmy Olsen, I want a Hotep Jimmy Olsen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I really like Lois' design.

I do too. Asian Lois Lane is probably going to upset some people but you know, who cares.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Harley: joker busting Bruce on tax evasion was hilarious, and can't wait til ivy running the league of doom and Harley becoming a hero blows up in their face next season

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Zach Snyder episode of Teen Titans Go is very goofy. Especially the Patrick Wilson cameo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Harley Quinn special announced for next Valentine's Day.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just a heads up Amazon has BTAS on blu ray for I think it was 25 bucks. It includes all the episodes, and I think phantasm and the Mr. Freeze movie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I started watching Spectacular Spiderman after a long time so I don't really remember much of it, but it's still fantastic. I also recently read some of the older comics so I have something to compare with.

It does the series so many favors to be able to know what it's going to do and plan ahead and foreshadow things like Doc Ock and Norman Osbourne. Maybe it seems at some times too fast, but it's still good. One of the things that's definitely too fast is the fact that in the comics, Peter Parker did have romantic inclinations with Betty Brant, Liz Allen, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, and Black Cat, but that was over years, to the point where he was already done with Betty and Liz before he met Gwen in college. Having all the relationships running at once means that he's just too swarmed by women. Also my god does Black Cat flirt really hard.

One thing I didn't remember was how they did the Big Man, which is a bit of a shame because in the original comics I kinda felt the Big Man was over and done with too fast, and his gimmick of being a short guy wearing a mask and platform shoes is pretty funny.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think one of the more brilliant things Spec did was play on fans' prior knowledge of the Goblin identities to make a legit mystery out of who the series' Goblin was. There was reason to think it was either Norman or Harry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I started watching Spectacular Spiderman after a long time so I don't really remember much of it, but it's still fantastic. I also recently read some of the older comics so I have something to compare with.

It does the series so many favors to be able to know what it's going to do and plan ahead and foreshadow things like Doc Ock and Norman Osbourne. Maybe it seems at some times too fast, but it's still good. One of the things that's definitely too fast is the fact that in the comics, Peter Parker did have romantic inclinations with Betty Brant, Liz Allen, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, and Black Cat, but that was over years, to the point where he was already done with Betty and Liz before he met Gwen in college. Having all the relationships running at once means that he's just too swarmed by women. Also my god does Black Cat flirt really hard.

One thing I didn't remember was how they did the Big Man, which is a bit of a shame because in the original comics I kinda felt the Big Man was over and done with too fast, and his gimmick of being a short guy wearing a mask and platform shoes is pretty funny.

One thing I appreciate about the 90s Fox version was that they started him off as a grad student and basically just went straight into MJ, with a very light amount of Felicia/Black Cat flirting. Actually, that series' take on Cat is pretty interesting overall, tying her powers into Cap's backstory instead of other stuff, her being super buff as Black Cat, and the whole Morbius thing making her origin less 'Great Value Catwoman' and kind of it's own thing

Although I think there was also a desire to pull back from the love interests being too 'bad', because B:TAS did a similar thing with their Selina Kyle, making her a rich philanthropist who mostly did like corporate espionage to expose assholes trying to bulldoze wildlife preserves. I did like that that made her a more direct equal for Bruce, though, she could compete with him on the social level as Selina, and then the original TAS design for the Catwoman suit is a direct attempt to do a femme/cat version of the TAS Batsuit, down to her utility belt being all ovals instead of blocks, but otherwise the same basic look.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I would kill for another Spider-Man cartoon where he's an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would kill for a comic where he was an adult