Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

who puts wall-to-wall carpet anywhere in the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Thanks Ants posted:

If he'd employed a decorator they would probably have moved the furniture without damaging the LVT floor. And anyway, a hard floor in a bedroom?

Carpets overall are very rare in houses anymore. Constantly need to clean, add in a pet and it gets worse. Multiple people in the house, even worse. A throw or area rug to help deaden the echo/reverb is about the most you get anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe linus has carpet under the LVF

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Linus mentioned on the wan show that he got extremely mad at Denis and Colton because they damaged his bedroom floor while moving his bed so they could repaint his bedroom wall.

This just seems like the cost of doing business when you use your mansion as content for your youtube channel, but hey, that's just me.

Not just using a mansion for content, but using a camera operator and writer(?) as your movers/decorators. If you're going to do that, then don't get mad when poo poo ends up damaged!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-KZzVUV7U

$500 RGB gaming keyboard just makes sense but a luxury kitchen appliance, just a bridge too far. Next week LTT will review a Rolex.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Koskun posted:

Carpets overall are very rare in houses anymore. Constantly need to clean, add in a pet and it gets worse. Multiple people in the house, even worse. A throw or area rug to help deaden the echo/reverb is about the most you get anymore.
You need to clean your house even if you have hardwood floors in every room., and in my experience there's little difference between keeping clean in either form of house.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Three Olives posted:

$500 RGB gaming keyboard just makes sense but a luxury kitchen appliance, just a bridge too far. Next week LTT will review a Rolex.

Sorry they didn't like your toaster.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

They did rightly review it pretty negatively in the video, at least. $500 for a toaster that can't even toast bread evenly is pretty damning, especially when you can get a toaster that toasts just as well, if not better, for $20-$30 from your local Target.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Using a wet swiffer infrequently is easier than vacuuming.

Besides a quick mop every now and then it's mostly just doing a quick sweep with a broom.

Even with our tiny Dyson guy vacuuming is still more of a chore. And the broom is always charged

hardwood > carpet. I mean you get to pick a rug which is more fun

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

They did rightly review it pretty negatively in the video, at least. $500 for a toaster that can't even toast bread evenly is pretty damning, especially when you can get a toaster that toasts just as well, if not better, for $20-$30 from your local Target.

i think you are reading it backwards - three olives is saying that it is reasonable to spend 400 dollars on a toaster as it is a status symbol like a rolex. between that and backpacks from LTT i am learning a lot about high fashion itt

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CoolCab posted:

i think you are reading it backwards - three olives is saying that it is reasonable to spend 400 dollars on a toaster as it is a status symbol like a rolex. between that and backpacks from LTT i am learning a lot about high fashion itt

I'm saying exactly what the video says, it is an extremely satisfying to use toaster. It has nice chimes, it looks good, the way the bread slowly raises and lowers into the toaster is peaceful. It's like buying a microwave with a soft-close door. It's toast, not an automated omelet station.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For $500 I'd expect my toaster to also make omelettes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

should've got the FLIR camera out for that one

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

njsykora posted:

For $500 I'd expect my toaster to also make omelettes.

no no, 400 dollars if you only buy one, if you do the much more reasonable thing and buy several 400 dollar toasters it costs more of course. but really but once you get locked into a serious toaster collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Just saying that these people shouldn't be judging how people spend their money outside of factors unrelated to core functionality:

Please note: It's poo poo but buy it anyways if you like the gold color:

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 22, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Youtube tech idiots fandom thread: Linus Trapper Keeper discussion thread.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

horst had obviously watched this video and was trying to talk about how actual good toasters worked but no one would engage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Something having a “cool” design on it and a 2x price tag is not exactly shocking. Wait until you guys find out about Jordans.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

well why not posted:

Something having a “cool” design on it and a 2x price tag is not exactly shocking. Wait until you guys find out about Jordans.

It's just kind of rich from the home of buying RGB RAM and computer cases with giant windows so you can see the video card that you paid $500 over MSRP for slightly higher frame rates in a video game for spending thirty minutes dunking on a toaster that is clearly a frivolous luxury item bought for reasons outside of bread toasting, it's not like buying RAM with RGB is in any way justifiable.

Like, it's not a predatory MLM toaster scam, it makes toast, it's fancy, I assure you that the vast majority of the people buying these toasters are not making financial sacrifices to do so and that the money would have otherwise gone to another luxury kitchen good like a $250 Le Creuset dutch oven.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 22, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Well yeah, the video ends off with Sarah saying it's an OK toaster, but looks cool and feels nice.

RGB RAM performs the same as non-RGB, but looks cool and is 'nice'. Their waterbottles have a certain look that is worth (to some people) more than the plain, generic versions.

I think the root issue is that aesthetics are intangible and difficult to assign a value to.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Three Olives posted:

It's just kind of rich from the home of buying RGB RAM and computer cases with giant windows so you can see the video card that you paid $500 over MSRP for slightly higher frame rates in a video game for spending thirty minutes dunking on a toaster that is clearly a frivolous luxury item bought for reasons outside of bread toasting, it's not like buying RAM with RGB is in any way justifiable.

Like, it's not a predatory MLM toaster scam, it makes toast, it's fancy, I assure you that the vast majority of the people buying these toasters are not making financial sacrifices to do so and that the money would have otherwise gone to another luxury kitchen good like a $250 Le Creuset dutch oven.

SA is the home of RGB-filled vanity PC builds? That's news to me. Seems to me we have a culture of urging practicality and seeking good values. And most of the poo poo you're saying isn't equivalent to buying a "luxury toaster" with a touch screen control system that's more difficult to use than a normal control system.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
this is really not the meltdown i expected today but i kind of love it. i will also not be buying this $500 toaster despite three olives losing some royalties as a result.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RGB memory adds like ten percent to the cost of the memory in most cases, also we usually advise against it anyways because that money can still be spent better elsewhere, also they add another layer of software and another thing to go wrong, also their height can interfere with good tower coolers, also what the gently caress?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Arivia posted:

horst had obviously watched this video and was trying to talk about how actual good toasters worked but no one would engage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y

I am a happy Patreon supporter of Technology Connections and that very video made me go out and buy an actually decent toaster that toasts things evenly and does it well.

It was still considerably cheaper than that $500 touchscreen monstrosity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I am a happy Patreon supporter of Technology Connections and that very video made me go out and buy an actually decent toaster that toasts things evenly and does it well.

It was still considerably cheaper than that $500 touchscreen monstrosity.

I really appreciate Alec just looking at home appliances in addition to the usual technology stuff. It makes you sound like a dork when you're like "no i swear the best toaster is something you've never heard of" and you sound crazy when you're like "and it's a kitchenaid from the 50s but you can buy a new one at your store it just costs extra" but then it just loving works*.

*just don't take his advice on dishwasher detergent

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
look: i'm just saying if i didn't own quite so many 400 dollar toasters i'd simply blow my budget on 250 dollar dutch ovens, etc. this is one of many ways in which buying several 400 dollar toasters have if anything saved me money

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I have rgb ram and a window case and my toast still cooks on both sides

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hell for the price of that touchscreen toaster you could buy TWO (2) backpacks from LTT STORE DOT CUUUUUUUM!!!?!

Lighting just one of them on fire could toast as many slices of bread as you could throw at it until you put it out and exchange it for a new one via the "just trust us" warranty.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

*just trust us warranty does not actually cover making toast with the backpack.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i do not know where this slander is coming from that the toaster costs five hundred dollars. that's completely loving ridiculious i mean five hundred loving dollars for a toaster? do you have more money than sense. no no, this toaster costs a mere $399.95 - i've been saying 400 god even i have understated the value.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

i do not know where this slander is coming from that the toaster costs five hundred dollars. that's completely loving ridiculious i mean five hundred loving dollars for a toaster? do you have more money than sense. no no, this toaster costs a mere $399.95 - i've been saying 400 god even i have understated the value.

they're also using a panini press that's an additional $75 or something in that video to be clear, so rounding does put it at $500

also i can make toast in my osprey backpack and send the burnt shards to osprey and they'll send me a new backpack back

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

*just don't take his advice on dishwasher detergent

?? Why not

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Osprey will send a new backpack back and couple of slices of perfectly toasted toast.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mewse posted:

?? Why not

there's three technology connections videos that go something like:

-you've been using too much detergent in your dishwasher!
-no wait I was wrong use this much instead
-no wait I was wrong again use the original amount instead instead

like credit to him for researching and owning his mistakes and it's funny but it's also just something funny to point at

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

?? Why not

I will never forgive him for telling the teens to ear tide pods.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have zero issue with nice things costing more money but that toaster doesn’t even toast the bread well

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Technology Connections is pretty much the prototype of a youtuber who speaks with clarity and confidence about things he doesn't understand, with just enough research done to fool you into thinking he might. He's done some interesting videos, but god drat he is wrong a LOT.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

CoolCab posted:

look: i'm just saying if i didn't own quite so many 400 dollar toasters i'd simply blow my budget on 250 dollar dutch ovens, etc. this is one of many ways in which buying several 400 dollar toasters have if anything saved me money

Money you haven't spent is just money you're going to waste, it is impossible to imagine otherwise :hai:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like it's only 11.76 per bread type the toaster supports. people don't understand the cost is significantly increased by the associated applied bread research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A lotta y'all just don't get bread.

Loaf owners can use multiple toasts on a slice

So if you have one wheat slice and three toast settings...