Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

hey folks, long time amateur photog checking in delighted that this chill thread exists, and I got all caught up and you all are running at my speed, and so here's a picture i took the other day of a crew just *partying down*

this is an unknown-age-but-old pentax-M 50mm f4 macro lens and a first-gen K-3.

i've only ever done photography to show neat things to friends, but i've liked following the yosposters and participating in threads a bit so here's where i will act like i'm a real person and share something i like doing :unsmith:

i see looking through the thread that the slr/mirrorless folks have very different processing styles than i do, and i dig everything i see. i also saw some terms flow around that are corners of raw processing that i've never dug around in before, so i'm looking forward to getting in and trying to fix my red hibiscus shots from the last couple weeks, as they've been incredibly disappointing at home like they always are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nurrwick posted:

hey folks, long time amateur photog checking in delighted that this chill thread exists, and I got all caught up and you all are running at my speed, and so here's a picture i took the other day of a crew just *partying down*

this is an unknown-age-but-old pentax-M 50mm f4 macro lens and a first-gen K-3.

i've only ever done photography to show neat things to friends, but i've liked following the yosposters and participating in threads a bit so here's where i will act like i'm a real person and share something i like doing :unsmith:

i see looking through the thread that the slr/mirrorless folks have very different processing styles than i do, and i dig everything i see. i also saw some terms flow around that are corners of raw processing that i've never dug around in before, so i'm looking forward to getting in and trying to fix my red hibiscus shots from the last couple weeks, as they've been incredibly disappointing at home like they always are.

ooh fun

our (enormous) bush recently started blooming for this season, i should take some

rad pic btw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
welcome
friend

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Facebook 'Memory' from six years back to the last live show I ever covered, so it's been that long since I picked my camera bag up :o:

I remember this gig being in a theater with a big stage (good) but the lighting rig + tech were loving terrible, I ran up against the limits of ISO / Shutter / Aperture and only some heavy duty Lightroom 'All sliders to right' pulled out usable images.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely
good
poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

extremely
good
poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
oh jeez lots of great pics over the weekend i missed

excellent job all i'm proud of you lot :3:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
heres a monday pic i guess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

it also just makes me think I should sit on photos for a little bit. I did that within the hour of shooting it and now a day later I’m not totally feeling my edit and I think I need to apply some patience lol.

also, seconding this

that's pretty much why i have everything all backed up on amazon (for however long that lasts). it's always nice to be able to go back and say "yeah this would be better if i did x or y instead"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

some b&w

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also lol i found these on amazon photos

ever wonder what a padd really looks like on ds9? now you know, unfortunately

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Went to a baseball game over the weekend, decided to take an active role in taking more pictures in my life.

"Cameras with detatchable lenses" are specifically banned from Polar Park, so this was taken on my Galaxy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

raddddddd

Neito posted:

Went to a baseball game over the weekend, decided to take an active role in taking more pictures in my life.

"Cameras with detatchable lenses" are specifically banned from Polar Park, so this was taken on my Galaxy.

lmao *brings sony rx1r*

(too expensive for me to have in addition to other cameras but i did lust after one for a while)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mediaphage posted:

raddddddd

lmao *brings sony rx1r*

(too expensive for me to have in addition to other cameras but i did lust after one for a while)

I'm lusting after it right now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neito posted:

I'm lusting after it right now.
it's apparently not very good, I'd suggest you settle for a fuji x100 or save for a leica q

e: speaking of the x100 I got a good shot in my favorite hotel lobby

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

it's apparently not very good, I'd suggest you settle for a fuji x100 or save for a leica q

nah the mark ii is good and fine. i wouldn't buy one unless i was rich because lol but it's a nice cam. you're not going to get much different image quality out of the leica. the real difference imo is whether you want a 28 or 35 ff, faster burst mode, bit faster af and whether you find the sony workflow annoying. i don't because i've been using them for like ten years now but some do

edit: i think the leica might be a bit brighter at 1.7 vs 2 but is that worth an extra thousand dollars? imo no but

anyway if you wanted the sony at this point id never buy it new

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 22, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Right now my skill ceiling is below even what my Olympus E-M10III is capable of, so I'll be sticking in Micro 4/3 land for a while yet. but I still want sexy camera because monkey brain says shiny thing cool.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neito posted:

Right now my skill ceiling is below even what my Olympus E-M10III is capable of, so I'll be sticking in Micro 4/3 land for a while yet. but I still want sexy camera because monkey brain says shiny thing cool.

yeah thats basically my feelings on them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

this is fantastic

Neito posted:

there's nothing wrong with MFT. probably 90% of what i've posted itt was with some panasonic/olympus (e-m10i!) variant

although i've been using my a7iii more and more as i accumulate more lenses, i still instinctively grab my panasonic g85 or g100 because they're not like 10 lbs with a good lens. the olympus still takes some great pics but i kinda handed it down to the wife

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

extremely
good
poo poo

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

since i'm rebuilding interest in photography, i've been arguing back and forth with myself about spending money on the hobby and while there are a couple of things i'd like to be able to accomplish that gear would do, realistically speaking, i need to just use the stuff i've got and enjoy the taking of pictures, rather than trying to solve problems that don't exist outside my own head. the only exception to that is, since i've been on pentax since my first slr, i still really want an FA 31mm limited, and when i irresponsibly do decide to throw away the money if i do ever get one, i want a k-1 to really be ready to scoop up that bokeh.

but i agree with the thought of 'my skill ceiling does not exceed my gear' - it's more about targeting a specific artistic expression that could be available to me.

Beeftweeter posted:

heres a monday pic i guess

i see your little friend there! that's one of the things i love about getting up close to flowers... finding all the little stuff going on on and around them.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A Facebook 'Memory' from six years back to the last live show I ever covered, so it's been that long since I picked my camera bag up :o:

I remember this gig being in a theater with a big stage (good) but the lighting rig + tech were loving terrible, I ran up against the limits of ISO / Shutter / Aperture and only some heavy duty Lightroom 'All sliders to right' pulled out usable images.

i should hope my disasters turn out as aesthetically nice as this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

like, imo, it comes down to what you do with the cam, its capabilities become irrelevant after a certain point

i don't remember if i posted these specifically but it was with a OMD-E-M10 mk1

so don't be discouraged by your camera system. it's an artificial limitation imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

not taken with olympus but i like them since a nice rep gave me some keychains after i showed them some of my pics lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i found my nearly 10 year old point and shoot today and plugged it in to charge then went outside to take a couple of pics. nothing terribly interesting about these, i just wanted to snap a couple of the yard to see how it'd look

no edits except resizing, just ooc jpegs

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

like, imo, it comes down to what you do with the cam, its capabilities become irrelevant after a certain point

i don't remember if i posted these specifically but it was with a OMD-E-M10 mk1

so don't be discouraged by your camera system. it's an artificial limitation imo

For sure, and restraining my gadget lust for cameras is tough but worth it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i found my nearly 10 year old point and shoot today and plugged it in to charge then went outside to take a couple of pics. nothing terribly interesting about these, i just wanted to snap a couple of the yard to see how it'd look

no edits except resizing, just ooc jpegs

i really like the last one actually. i have an OG canon digital elph in the closet that i've been meaning to play with but lmao that battery is probably deader than daguerreotype

Neito posted:

For sure, and restraining my gadget lust for cameras is tough but worth it.

yeah, i've even recommended people itt get some MFT cams if they're on a budget. there's some really great camera bodies available on the cheap now and there's a glut of excellent cheap lenses as well. if you accept the sensor limitations (iso <1600), they're absolutely great.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

i really like the last one actually. i have an OG canon digital elph in the closet that i've been meaning to play with but lmao that battery is probably deader than daguerreotype

yeah, i've even recommended people itt get some MFT cams if they're on a budget. there's some really great camera bodies available on the cheap now and there's a glut of excellent cheap lenses as well. if you accept the sensor limitations (iso <1600), they're absolutely great.

Yeah, i took some pictures of a house fire across the street at night and it wasn't super great. Night stuff is definitely MFT's weak spot.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Neito posted:

Yeah, i took some pictures of a house fire across the street at night and it wasn't super great. Night stuff is definitely MFT's weak spot.

it's something you can work around. for MFT in particular, i have at least 5 lenses that stop higher (...lower) than f/1.1 and none of them were more than $500 (one's a voightlander clone which, iirc, was exactly $500. the rest were far less, but newer). one of the benefits of this kind of manual lens is that if you stop down (...up :argh:) even just a little, the focal point is usually sharp as a tack anyway

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i walked a few blocks over to the little convenience store near me to get a diet dr pepper, which i get like once every week or two as a treat. cloudy sky, the rain just stopped. passed this ridiculous house who really decided to get rid of their yard in the best way. again, just my lil pocket cam

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

chiming in on the 'i like this' train

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i like soup and I'm not afraid to mention it's the food that gets my attention

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

soups great but i like eating it when its cool

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's a very light veggie soup I made for lunch. it's just water, carrot, baby bok choy, somen noodles, soysauce, and a little Sichuan peppercorn

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

it's a very light veggie soup I made for lunch. it's just water, carrot, baby bok choy, somen noodles, soysauce, and a little Sichuan peppercorn

would

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
double wood

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

in the op, echi asked for bokeh

my old k20d + smc-P FA 43mm f1.9 limited

it's yalls fault now i guess, I am kind of randomly going back, selecting a lens, and reprocessing a little. this one just got brighter, and I like it a lot more than the last way I had it. (i appreciates you)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate I appreciate the bokeh and the post

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nurrwick posted:

in the op, echi asked for bokeh

my old k20d + smc-P FA 43mm f1.9 limited

it's yalls fault now i guess, I am kind of randomly going back, selecting a lens, and reprocessing a little. this one just got brighter, and I like it a lot more than the last way I had it. (i appreciates you)

lol nice subtle web! that's not bad bokeh for a k20d either

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

gotta get dat bokeh

e: bad pic, sorry

e2: heres a better one

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

*incessant chanting* bokeh, BoKeh, BOKEH