Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

Something having a “cool” design on it and a 2x price tag is not exactly shocking. Wait until you guys find out about Jordans.

Coming soon: LTT sneakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

I like my toaster, it makes toast and looks nice. It's just toast.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

CoolCab posted:

like it's only 11.76 per bread type the toaster supports. people don't understand the cost is significantly increased by the associated applied bread research.

lmfao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does yours leave the bottom 25% untoasted too

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Toaster: $10
Bread Science: $389.95

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Overclocking the toaster so it completes the breadmark 15% faster

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
three olives is a bougie gently caress, 2005-2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

i just eat my toast raw

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Three Olives posted:

it is an extremely satisfying to use toaster. It has nice chimes, it looks good, the way the bread slowly raises and lowers into the toaster is peaceful. It's like buying a microwave with a soft-close door. It's toast
           |  /
           |/

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
oh my god

it even has a touch screen

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My toaster is a Dualit 4 slice NewGen which is a decade old and will likely outlive me. And if it doesn't I can buy parts for it like a new element for £10 and you're encouraged to repair it yourself.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVbnv01Qek

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Thanks Ants posted:

My toaster is a Dualit 4 slice NewGen which is a decade old and will likely outlive me. And if it doesn't I can buy parts for it like a new element for £10 and you're encouraged to repair it yourself.

honestly a pretty nice toaster even if i'd never spend that kind of money. kind of the upper limit as to what i would expect as a "this gift is stupid but whatever it's your wedding have a toaster that will last forever" style gift. borderline industrial; the kind of thing you might see at a fancy continental breakfast at a hotel. i think ultrapremium toasters are a foundationally stupid idea but maybe i could see a mixed use case for a fancy cafe or bed and breakfast or something. it looks like it's built to deflect small arms fire.

it costs a hundred and fifty dollars less than this toaster, but on the other hand you don't get any bread modes or chimes - basically a caveman.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way that the toast emerges is not peaceful at all, loving trash for peasants.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Sod peace, I want my toaster to give a bloodcurdling scream when it’s done.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have zero issue with nice things costing more money but that toaster doesn’t even toast the bread well

It's this.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It also costs an absurd amount of money without adding anything to the base functionality

Like if it cost that much but it had sensors to get perfect toast every time without adjustment then thats one thing but this just replaces physical control for a touch screen control

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The conversation reminds me of this older toaster review:

https://youtu.be/hv7jvyslRek

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lmao a bigass toaster oven that toasts bread evenly and reheats pizza and has convection so it's also an air fryer is less than $400

spending that much on a 2-slice toaster because it has a gimmick touchscreen is consumer therapy addiction

can the smart toaster perfectly defrost and toast a frozen bagel? if not, it's no better than a $50 toaster.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Living in small town Newfoundland as a child I thought toaster ovens were some bougie United States American poo poo :monocle: Like, a tiny oven for your loving counter holy poo poo. As knock off pop tart kids Toaster Strudels also occupied a similar lofty space.

When I finally saw a cheap ratty one at a friend's house in high school I was like, wait, these things aren't 600$?

Why doesn't everyone have one?

Still haven't owned one but they seem convenient

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

forest spirit posted:

Why doesn't everyone have one?

Still haven't owned one but they seem convenient

If the only thing you want from a toaster is toasted bread & bagels, the traditional top-slot toaster is much faster and often makes better toast. Toaster ovens make kinda dry toast unless you have very moist / dense bread, or slice it thick.

But IMO toaster ovens are super useful. Even the non-fancy ones. You can make a quick toasted cheese sandwich, you can toast big burger buns that would squish in an average slot toaster, and they're the only decent way to reheat pizza other than a real oven and pizza stone.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah for me the appeal has always been for everything but toast. I'm going to check the linus video but I'm really hoping that the reason it cost so much is because it's a pattern toaster you can customize

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Toaster ovens are useful, but an inverter microwave and a double oven with a good broil setting will basically do everything they do just as well.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Youtube tech idiot talks about a toaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLFG068HtgM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLk1cjZ4ll0

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Reminds me of Intellitoast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyIYRaBTWMI

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TWBalls posted:

Youtube tech idiot talks about a toaster:

IMPACT FONT

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inept posted:

IMPACT FONT
Be happy it's not some dumbass floating head with a :shrug: look

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Toaster ovens are useful, but an inverter microwave and a double oven with a good broil setting will basically do everything they do just as well.

Do I have news for you my friend!

Worth every penny, inverter microwave, toaster oven, convection oven, will microwave and convection cook at the same time. I miss my Advantium from my old place, but this is the next best thing short of doing a very expensive kitchen remodel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Three Olives posted:

Do I have news for you my friend!

Worth every penny, inverter microwave, toaster oven, convection oven, will microwave and convection cook at the same time. I miss my Advantium from my old place, but this is the next best thing short of doing a very expensive kitchen remodel.

This is the greatest microwave in the universe. I was so choked I couldn’t use it in my new house since we had to get an above range microwave which sucks poo poo. That thing perfectly reheats everything.

I gave it to my parents and whenever I visit I rotate the dial a bit just for the memories.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

This is the greatest microwave in the universe. I was so choked I couldn’t use it in my new house since we had to get an above range microwave which sucks poo poo. That thing perfectly reheats everything.

I gave it to my parents and whenever I visit I rotate the dial a bit just for the memories.

Soft close door, the chimes it makes instead of beeping, the dials, the screen changing color to show cooking state. Everyone else is doing microwaves so wrong!

When they inevitably replace the screen I am going to get some serious eyerolls on why we are upgrading.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'll be honest, I didn't even know you could buy microwave ovens without inverters - every single one I've owned has had an inverter, and only used the off-on cycle when defroting.
That being said, they tend to last for a long time, so I've only owned two.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Panasonic inverter microwaves are top-tier appliances

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

GN promises to review/criticize LMG/other peer-produced products in the same manner as their regular reviews.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like that he pointed out that LMG is bigger than some of the PC parts companies they deal with at this point. Also man that loving WAN Show clip of Luke visibily irritated about the shirt while Linus rubs it in his face about how well the shirt sold.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For the most part, Luke will defend anything Linus does or says, and he regularly strokes Linus' ego on the air (like telling him that valve should have regularly sent him prototype steam decks so they could get his oh-so-valuable input). But you could tell there were several times in the last few weeks where he was clearly holding his tongue as Linus dug himself deeper and deeper on the warranty poo poo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh yeah Luke's "I don't want to be fired" face. you can usually tell when he's been coached too because he makes the face and tries to quietly repeat the talking point in an authoritative voice. you can see this in the "what if I died and my wife had to look at my face?" clip. love to play poker against that guy

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
He told Linus the “trust me bro” shirt or whatever was a bad idea. He said something along the lines of “what if someone looks at that shirt a year from now, you’re just reminding people about this whole thing” which is a valid point.

On the other hand he’s sitting next to his boss who apparently housed him at some point and lmg has pretty much been his whole career. It’s a tough spot to be in.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Luke trusts Linus implicitly and seems to have been treated very well, but like a lot of his subordinates my extreme outsiders perspective is that the "no drama" personal philosophy discourages people from disagreeing with him in anything but the most deferential ways. this also happens with other tech YouTubers sometimes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CoolCab posted:

Luke trusts Linus implicitly and seems to have been treated very well, but like a lot of his subordinates my extreme outsiders perspective is that the "no drama" personal philosophy discourages people from disagreeing with him in anything but the most deferential ways. this also happens with other tech YouTubers sometimes

Yeah, you see this a lot where Youtubers aren't willing to openly criticise other Youtubers and when they do it's treated as 'Youtube drama', which is part of what makes Steve's angle of "No, this is a big company they should be treated like any other" so refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would more broadly say that the current laugh it off strategy seems to be working? they still haven't actually committed to a meaningful warranty and the controversy seems to have largely boiled over:

EngineerJoe posted:

This warranty is worthless, a 3 year warranty would have been better. You still don't know what coverage you're getting with this.

even if this will probably make them look much worse if they deny it and the aggrieved party goes to reddit or something. steve frames the shirt as being deliberately provocative and it is, but imo another equally valid interpretation is that they are aware they can't support the product this way for whatever internal reason we can speculate on and this was all a media and community management strategy. they knew they were going to have to do something unpopular and as such this was the route of least pain, or perceived as such at least by linus. it might be that acknowledging the alternative - sorry we can't offer a warranty because aren't keeping it in production, sorry we can't offer a warranty because of a high failure rate, sorry we can't offer a warranty because we're overcommitted financially - is worse than this backlash. or provoking the backlash before selling anything damages the brand less, maybe?