Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still like blomkamp. I skipped demonic and I’ll continue not to watch it. Everything else he’s done has been solid. ESP oats studios.

I think demonic was just a pandemic movie in all the worst ways. The need to create, the need to have something to put out, quick turn around time, yada yada. But I don’t know for sure. Everything I heard about it comes off like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Demonic is actually good, but it has a severe case of "movie originally conceived as a found-footage pic but switched to a conventional narrative at some point".

That and it clearly being made on an Oats Studios 'proof of concept' kind of budget.

If it wasn't Blomkamp's fourth feature, it would be considered a promising indie debut.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Descent is top tier horror, I wouldnt say Dog Soldiers is as good, but it is a tremendously fun movie that I really enjoy

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STAC Goat posted:

When people talk up Neil Marshall I think they’re talking about The Descent and Dog Soldiers. Maybe a little Doomsday but mostly those two. Everything else is… disappointing.

And his Game of Thrones stuff I guess. Remember a really kick rear end big action battle episode? He probably directed it.

I am literally the only one, but I’m a Centurion stan.

But yeah, basically that’s it. He had his early run of two incredibly good movies out the gate (moderate adjustment for first movie helps Dog Soldiers), a couple meh efforts (Doomsdays is…fine, I guess ; I love Centurion, but it is a lonely love) and then almost nothing but some TV. And then some stuff with his personal life that I didn’t dig into but seemed pretty eyebrow raising.

drat waste. If he’d kept up the pace from his first two he’d have had a good shot at being a true modern horror master.

But the man had a guy box a god drat werewolf, so for that alone he gets a quiet place of honor.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Opopanax posted:

The Descent is top tier horror, I wouldnt say Dog Soldiers is as good, but it is a tremendously fun movie that I really enjoy

dog soldiers is better

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dog Soldiers is great but people saying it’s the last great werewolf movie need to see The Wolf of Snow Hollow

Late Phases was pretty good too.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 23, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dog Soldiers is great but people saying it’s the last great werewolf movie need to see The Wolf of Snow Hollow

???

Care to elaborate? Wolf of Snow Hollow was cute, I enjoyed it, but that’s some heavy loving praise.

Also not a werewolf movie.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I much preferred The Beta Test to The Wolf of Snow Hollow, even though Jim Cummings is playing almost the same character. Like Snow Hollow, it's also not a horror film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If it has a werewolf in it it’s horror

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

If it has a werewolf in it it’s horror

There is no werewolf in Wolf of Snow Hollow.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wolf of Snow Hollow ruled. I didn’t see The Beta Test, but I thought it was a considerable improvement over Thunder Road, in which Jim Cummings also played a variation on the same character.

Quality aside, as for it not being a horror movie I find that to be completely baffling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is just flatly incorrect and I find it even more baffling than the “not a horror movie” thing

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is just flatly incorrect and I find it even more baffling than the “not a horror movie” thing

??????????????????????????????

It was a dude in a suit. That is the end of the movie. What?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xiahou Dun posted:

I read this on accident but I haven’t seen it so why would I have clicked this lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I read this on accident but I haven’t seen it so why would I have clicked this lol

I don't know, hoss. I didn't make you read it. Is that not the point of spoiler tags, that it's up to the reader if they want to be spoiled?

Like, I'm legit sorry, I thought I was being polite. Is that not how it's supposed to go?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How the hell they gonna drop something like this, now, when I don't have the money??

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID, DIRTY BILLY!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

??????????????????????????????

It was a dude in a suit. That is the end of the movie. What?

It was a dude who physically transforms himself into a wolf and rips people to shreds. Saying “but that doesn’t count” is absurdly nitpicky. If anything, it’s an unusually pure werewolf movie, since the whole foundation of the werewolf myth in the first place was guys in antiquity just going buckwild and murdering people. It’s closer to the classic werewolf myths by far than something like Dog Soldiers or even The Wolf Man.

It’s also got the first actually scary werewolf attack scenes since, what, American Werewolf in London? So denying it horror film status is truly bizarre.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought Wolf of Snow Hollow was just kind of okay.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dog soldiers is better

:hfive:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It was a dude who physically transforms himself into a wolf and rips people to shreds. Saying “but that doesn’t count” is absurdly nitpicky. If anything, it’s an unusually pure werewolf movie, since the whole foundation of the werewolf myth in the first place was guys in antiquity just going buckwild and murdering people. It’s closer to the classic werewolf myths by far than something like Dog Soldiers or even The Wolf Man.

It’s also got the first actually scary werewolf attack scenes since, what, American Werewolf in London? So denying it horror film status is truly bizarre.

You're conflating two people. I said "there is no werewolf", not that it's not a horror movie.

And I don't think you're wrong per se, but you're assuming a lot of critical machinery to support a very nuanced semantic argument and I don't think you can reasonably expect it as a given in a casual conversation. In the context of a discussion of the film, yeah I can see a good point about the real werewolf was the murderous id we made along the way, but if you say "this is a werewolf movie" people have certain expectations about what that entails and they would be disappointed if they watched it. In the specific context of that conversation, it would've been basically a lie to say otherwise.

Hollismason posted:

I thought Wolf of Snow Hollow was just kind of okay.

I thought it would've been a pretty good play.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hotel Transylvania is a horror movie. A horror comedy to be exact

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're conflating two people. I said "there is no werewolf", not that it's not a horror movie.

I knew that wasn’t you, I was just trying to address both things at once.

Agree to disagree on the other stuff - I’d rank it the best and most clever werewolf movie since Ginger Snaps easy - but I do see where you’re coming from on the play thing. Part of what I loved about it was that it delivers such a dense, dialogue heavy screenplay and still keeps it to 85 minutes on the dot. It definitely has a Martin McDonagh thing going on, but if Martin McDonagh did that movie there’s no way you’re gettin out of there before the two hour mark.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I knew that wasn’t you, I was just trying to address both things at once.

Agree to disagree on the other stuff - I’d rank it the best and most clever werewolf movie since Ginger Snaps easy - but I do see where you’re coming from on the play thing. Part of what I loved about it was that it delivers such a dense, dialogue heavy screenplay and still keeps it to 85 minutes on the dot. It definitely has a Martin McDonagh thing going on, but if Martin McDonagh did that movie there’s no way you’re gettin out of there before the two hour mark.

Yeah, I thought the script was quite good. I just didn't find that a lot of the visuals justified it being a movie, and I think it'd benefit from a more intimate, stagey atmosphere.

And I'm not knocking it as a movie, solid B, I think it's just that it's status as a "werewolf movie" is a bit of a technicality so in the context of a recommendation or whatever it'd be misleading to use that term. It's a werwolf movie, but in a historical and metaphorical way and I wouldn't want someone who asked me for one to think I'm a dick

It's also a much quieter movie, more of a drama, while Dog Soldiers is full-throated action-horror and while I love both of those sub-genres, they are different sub-genres and can't be compared. In the same way that Sense and Sensibility and Master and Commander can't be compared even if they're both "period movies".

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xiahou Dun posted:

And I don't think you're wrong per se, but you're assuming a lot of critical machinery to support a very nuanced semantic argument and I don't think you can reasonably expect it as a given in a casual conversation. In the context of a discussion of the film, yeah I can see a good point about the real werewolf was the murderous id we made along the way, but if you say "this is a werewolf movie" people have certain expectations about what that entails and they would be disappointed if they watched it. In the specific context of that conversation, it would've been basically a lie to say otherwise.

I thought it would've been a pretty good play.

Is Martin a vampire movie?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe? But I'd feel funny saying "There is a vampire in the movie Martin".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

The comparison that came to mind for me was is April Fool’s Day a slasher movie?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

It's made pretty clear in the movie that Martin is a vampire.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wolf of Snow Hollow is extremely a horror movie. Has multiple absolutely terrifying sequences. One of the better werewolf movies in recent memory.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really don't remember anything in Wolf of Snow Hollow being that scary. Personally, I think that was the movie's central issue in that it tried to be a lot of things but didn't commit hard enough to any one of them so it ended up being a bit of mess.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

But yeah, basically that’s it. He had his early run of two incredibly good movies out the gate (moderate adjustment for first movie helps Dog Soldiers), a couple meh efforts (Doomsdays is…fine, I guess ; I love Centurion, but it is a lonely love) and then almost nothing but some TV. And then some stuff with his personal life that I didn’t dig into but seemed pretty eyebrow raising.

I really like parts of Centurion! Minus the CGI blood.

The eyebrow-raising stuff actually led to Marshall losing his agency rep back in 2020 (and I'm certain all the PR burnt a lot more bridges in the process), which I imagine is why his CV's been so empty.

I just hope he's happy. It all sounds incredibly toxic and who knows the truth of any of it, but even in the least sympathetic reading (to me, at least) he still comes across as a bit of a misguided victim.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dog Soldiers is amazing fun, but I still stand by Wer (2013) as one of the best werewolf films

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, I thought the script was quite good. I just didn't find that a lot of the visuals justified it being a movie, and I think it'd benefit from a more intimate, stagey atmosphere.

And I'm not knocking it as a movie, solid B, I think it's just that it's status as a "werewolf movie" is a bit of a technicality so in the context of a recommendation or whatever it'd be misleading to use that term. It's a werwolf movie, but in a historical and metaphorical way and I wouldn't want someone who asked me for one to think I'm a dick

It's also a much quieter movie, more of a drama, while Dog Soldiers is full-throated action-horror and while I love both of those sub-genres, they are different sub-genres and can't be compared. In the same way that Sense and Sensibility and Master and Commander can't be compared even if they're both "period movies".

I'd say it's absolutely a werewolf movie. The majority of the run time is spent with the idea of a werewolf, and with all the auspices of a werewolf, and that's how viewers are doing to experience it. Even if a last minute twist technically changes the taxonomy of the killer, it's still a movie about the idea of a werewolf.

It's even subtextually a werewolf movie, where Jim Cummings is cursed with a pent-up rage he fears will erupt against his will and destroy himself and his loved ones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

grobbo posted:

I really like parts of Centurion! Minus the CGI blood.

The eyebrow-raising stuff actually led to Marshall losing his agency rep back in 2020 (and I'm certain all the PR burnt a lot more bridges in the process), which I imagine is why his CV's been so empty.

I just hope he's happy. It all sounds incredibly toxic and who knows the truth of any of it, but even in the least sympathetic reading (to me, at least) he still comes across as a bit of a misguided victim.

He’s got a new movie that sounds great premiering at fright fest. About an alien hybrid underground base. And he just finished another film a week or so ago.

Thanks Instagram lol.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

Dog Soldiers is amazing fun, but I still stand by Wer (2013) as one of the best werewolf films

Dunno if I've heard of that one but I'm adding it to my watchlist. Love a good werewolf movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Watched the trailer for Wer and it doesn't look bad I may check it out.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK, you have all asked for it, for a couple of hours now.

We are now into “Post your five or ten favorite werewolf movies” territory

1) An American Werewolf in London

2) Dog Soldiers

3) The Wolf Man (1941)

4) A Company of Wolves

5) The Wolfman (2010)

6) Late Phases

7) Silver Bullet

8) Bad Moon

9) Howl

10) The Howling

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wolfman 2010 is severely underrated. It's equally silly and badass.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
frankenstein meets the wolf man

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

American Werewolf in London
The Wolf Man original
Dog Soldiers
The Howling
Ginger Snaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU