Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Three races on today, all of them bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hooray.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm being patriotic and watching the last 30k of the Baltic Chain Tour.
Yesterday was Estonia's Re-independence Day (well, back in 1991) so the symbolism of this tour is neat:

quote:

Three Baltic countries – Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania – demonstrated their solidarity in their quest for independence by forming a human chain on August 23, 1989. Approximately 2 million people joined their hands that day. The extraordinary event drew global attention and finally led to the Baltic States regaining their independence. The human chain spanning over 600 kilometers was registered in The Guinness Book of Records.

The joint Baltic cycling tour has a long history. The tradition began in the 1955 and was broken in 1987. On November 4, 2010 in Riga, the presidents of three national cycling unions signed a cooperation agreement to restore the tradition of the Baltic cycling tour.

From August 2011, Baltic Chain Tour marks the anniversary of the Baltic Chain. It is also one of the longest annual cycling tours in the Northern Europe. Baltic Chain Tour belongs to UCI 2.2 category cycling tours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8-xoojKH4
Fun to see roads that I actually cycle on/next to frequently!

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 21, 2022

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Three races on today, all of them bad

I usually don't mind grand departs, usually adds a bit of excitement when whatever nations no hoper rider wants to get on TV.

There should be a minimum amount of elevation in the course selection though.

Or a promise to build giant fans.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you're going to do Belgium or the Netherlands you really should have at least one classics parcours in there

they did it for the Yorkshire depart, Idk why they seem to love going flat when they do the Netherlands. like i'm not asking for the AGR but you can't at least have a finish on the Cauberg?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you're going to do Belgium or the Netherlands you really should have at least one classics parcours in there

they did it for the Yorkshire depart, Idk why they seem to love going flat when they do the Netherlands. like i'm not asking for the AGR but you can't at least have a finish on the Cauberg?

My gut feeling is it's the Dutch organisers turning their noses up at Limburg, despite it having the best places to hold a race, but could be more to it than that

Watched the break and peloton come by at around 60k to go, was a pretty nice spot for the 10 seconds it took for them to come by

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
At least have the respect for people's times by shortening these stages to 3km. Mass sprint from start to finish :black101:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all honesty i dont mind the occasional sprint day i just wish they made the novelty of seeing a country without a GT more interesting by showcasing climbs you normally wouldn't see in a grand tour

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Or at least ride along the coastline in a mostly straight line. The 2015 TdF grand depart wasn't even that bad (and even before they got to the Mur de Huy). With these two non-TT stages, they looped around so much that it really seemed like the organizers wanted to avoid echelons, which is just :chloe:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
wtf rest day, ok whatever

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I managed to take a picture of Wout attacking on the Waseberg yesterday! Also it is very comforting to see pro cyclists suffering on this loving hill

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Peggotty posted:

I managed to take a picture of Wout attacking on the Waseberg yesterday! Also it is very comforting to see pro cyclists suffering on this loving hill

That’s a sweet photo! Cycling can be so dynamic and dramatic on film

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Nobody watching the Vuelta huh?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I had to work, but also now that I'm looking at the top *running finger down the GC list until I find someone I don't dislike or even hate* 8 makes me actively not want to watch it. Luckily I will continue to be able to watch only on the weekends

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My eurosport sub lapsed so I'm just watching the "highlights" on youtube.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Basque stages are usually fun though they have a weird lack of hard mountain stages this year

Sierra Nevada is always nice to see though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Classic Roglic bonus seconds kind of stage today, Sam Oomen looking close to tears because he lost his turn on the Red Jersey Carousel was a mixture of sad and pathetic

Smirr posted:

I had to work, but also now that I'm looking at the top *running finger down the GC list until I find someone I don't dislike or even hate* 8 makes me actively not want to watch it. Luckily I will continue to be able to watch only on the weekends

What's Joe Kiss ever done to you

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's Joe Kiss ever done to you

He's the the one I felt most bad about for lumping in with the rest (despite being an Anglo!), but at any rate he's riding for a team that is starting to get on my nerves

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they can win every grand tour for ten years and i wouldn't hate them as much as I hate Ineos

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they can win every grand tour for ten years and i wouldn't hate them as much as I hate Ineos

True. But that's what the other half of the GC top 8 is for

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'll start watching have it play on a second monitor when I'm back to working next week.

There's even an Estonian for me to cheer on again!

But he isn't all that happy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cowardice. Nobody's died descending for ages*.

*I have not looked this up

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Pretty sure it's less the materials and more that there are just too many insane descenders these days

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I distinctly remember Taaramäe hitting the (then new-ish to the TdF) cobbles in 2014 and/or 2015 and looking like an epileptic deer on ice. I realize that descending is an entirely different skill set, but still: git gud

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Nobody watching the Vuelta huh?

Anything worth watching happened yet?

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Skarsnik posted:

Not been watching it. Coincidentally just started a Skarsnik campaign in TWW3 IE lol it’s a hectic start

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

First day today in a country worth racing a grand tour in, so give it a day or two.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I've been watching it, but so far only to have something on while I fold the washing as it hasn't been exciting yet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vando posted:

Pretty sure it's less the materials and more that there are just too many insane descenders these days

The design will help - aero frames + wheels now will save a lot of watts at 100km/h, and that'll translate into higher top speeds. It's the long straightish non-technical ones that you get those speeds on anyway.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
nice igor anton on a hybrid

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
love races in the Basque country. It's going to result in a weird route but really happy the next TDF is doing a grand depart in San Sébastien

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The design will help - aero frames + wheels now will save a lot of watts at 100km/h, and that'll translate into higher top speeds. It's the long straightish non-technical ones that you get those speeds on anyway.

And 10x more effect from skin suits, helmets, socks and just actually testing and refining an aerodynamic position on the bike. The rider is way more important.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chunkier boys being at the business end on mountain stages. More meat goes downhill faster, the grupetto has always been notorious for suicide descending.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

nice guggenheim museum bilbao.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Sucks that NBC/Peacock only has their American commentary. I miss Anthony

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ohhyeah posted:

Sucks that NBC/Peacock only has their American commentary. I miss Anthony

its so bad op

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
curious to see how soler fucks this up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its more down to whether that chase group fucks it up, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they got him in sight, i think it's gonna come down from the chasers unless they seriously gently caress around

e) they're loving around