Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
most of the time bokeh is overrated imo

and the computational bokeh is still so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

still nice pic tho

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
bird bokeh? why not

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mediaphage posted:

yeah, agreed on this one. so, so bad lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

walled garden

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

🅱️okeh the 🅱️enguin

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

remember how a whole startup spent tens of millions of dollars on their revolutionary “light field” technology and even built and released a $1500 camera and the bokeh looked exactly like gaussian blur applied to an automask in photoshop?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i never paid more than casual attention to them

i wonder how much their "light field" ballyhoo is actually interesting technology versus just stacking a bunch of images that you scroll through when you change focus (ex post facto focus plane switching seemed to be the only mildly interesting thing about it)

or actually i guess does it matter in that is there any meaningful distinction between those two scenarios

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lytro was the company. they were bought by google and apparently a bit of the technology is used in pixel phones, it separates foreground and background with one lens I think. the full light field effect is very cool, it can be used for spatial photography that works very well in vr. even on a phone it was cool that the photos were pseudo 3d so you could tilt your phone and it was like a little diorama. unfortunately the first camera they released was expensive and like 1MP, and they kept the light field file format proprietary so once they stopped developing the pc software and it inevitably stopped working the camera was useless. the technology did what was promised, you could change the focal plane or have the entire fov in focus, but it turns out you actually do need more than one megapixel to get a decent looking photo so as a consumer product it was a failure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um nice post but just fyi we don’t sign our posts around here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

um nice post but just fyi we don’t sign our posts around here

i'd be upset if people kept signing my name to their posts too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

rah!

went hikin, couldn't decide on color or bw

mt. baker, washington

had a hazy, featureless sky with noon sun so i tried to show as little sky as possible while still making the mountain appear large

this was the last post of page 20 and nobody empty quoted or even :nice:d my snapshots. i demand satisfaction

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this was the last post of page 20 and nobody empty quoted or even :nice:d my snapshots. i demand satisfaction

they are excellent sorry!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

thank you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

np, yeah, no notes really. i was considering playing with one with a different b&w filter, actually, but i like yours :shobon:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a good photo is something that makes you feel something

but that is in the eye of the butt holder

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I like it!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:same:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hnnngh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really want a tele but I’m so afraid to break the seal on lens buying, all my money will go away from me.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

I really want a tele but I’m so afraid to break the seal on lens buying, all my money will go away from me.

you have a xt100 right? theres some cheapo primes that seem pretty decent and i've certainly got good results out of them (same brands), but the MFT sensor is a bit smaller

no good? :ohdear:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

heres some stuff from a $35 c-mount lens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

you have a xt100 right? theres some cheapo primes that seem pretty decent and i've certainly got good results out of them (same brands), but the MFT sensor is a bit smaller
nah I have a x100v and a ricoh GR3, both purchased specifically because I can't spend kilobucks on lenses. my current plan is to make the leap if the xpro 4 isn't stupid, I'd like to stick with the rangefinder form factor and the x-e4 doesn't cut it from a control perspective

speaking of rangefinders this camera is deeply stupid on a bunch of levels [3 grand, no removable storage, no evf or screen] but 16 bit black and white raws :flashfap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlozkldyykM

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

nah I have a x100v and a ricoh GR3, both purchased specifically because I can't spend kilobucks on lenses. my current plan is to make the leap if the xpro 4 isn't stupid, I'd like to stick with the rangefinder form factor and the x-e4 doesn't cut it from a control perspective

speaking of rangefinders this camera is deeply stupid on a bunch of levels [3 grand, no removable storage, no evf or screen] but 16 bit black and white raws :flashfap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlozkldyykM

understandable imo, the reason i went with an a7iii over something from fuji was because i prefer slr-style over a rangefinder and yeah the control schemes weren't great at the time (although from what i've seen they've improved a ton since)

that pixii looks baller though. wish i could afford all the cams :negative:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i like it, i'm just an idiot and better at guttural sounds than words

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

where yall uploading pics for sharing itc? I don't like imgur these days

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i like it, i'm just an idiot and better at guttural sounds than words

*guttural bokehing* :cheers:

Bloody posted:

i've been using imgur since people complained when i used archive.org lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i've been using https://imgbb.com/ because it's not designed to be as annoying as possible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i've been using https://imgbb.com/ because it's not designed to be as annoying as possible

nice, seems much less lovely than imgur. fe: except these embeds still lose a fair bit of detail :mad:

anyway, here's some bird pics i've taken this summer

a female red-winged blackbird w/ her baby:

a marsh wren singing their heart out:

a white-crowned sparrow who was very curious in what i was doing:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

good birds

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cool bird pics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

I use postimages

apparently it doesn’t strip exif data but it has a good screenshot tool

glorious

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i just opened a smugmug account for non-thread purposes and they seem to give direct links for inline embeds, but it appears they don't strip exif/iptc either, so that's an extra step in lightroom. not that someone couldn't figure out the one thing in iptc on my images...

Bloody posted:

a white-crowned sparrow who was very curious in what i was doing:

i love white crowns, they're fun little puffballs in the winter.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i demand satisfaction

i was supposed to have gone 'home' to oregon this summer and didn't get the chance. my spruce lust hath been quenched. (i don't know what the makeup of trees is like that far north. i imagine my real favorites, doug firs, are in the mix bigtime, too.)

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 24, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

We have lots of doug firs up here yes they're very pleasant guys

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

evergreens are the best. pretty all year and drop fun crunchy cones

other trees are only pretty when they're doing the seasonal die off. garbage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

not a particularly great pic but i stacked this into a 16-bit tiff -> png and it came out all green lmao

if you gently caress with it all of the correct detail, luminance and color information is there, though. definitely strange, and because i didn't want any image host loving with it i popped it on archive.org (sorry echi but its only 6 MB)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

cool bird pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

speaking of colours, only a phone pic - would have been nice to have my proper kit this time