Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume the big gun on top is better than fighters at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hope the raiders are playable. It'd be cool if this game had more than the traditional two factions thing.
It also showed fighters taking down those frigates in quick succession, which I don't think they actually will.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Effective could mean a wide variety of things!

Like HW1 Assault Frigs!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Effective could mean a wide variety of things!

Like HW1 Assault Frigs!

That's what I liked about them! Endless potential!

And they looked neat and had some good sounding guns.

E:

As with most ships, I'm thinking Taiidan designs when it comes to neat visuals.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Kibayasu posted:

Have they said if everything is going to take place around the megaliths? I do like them and they’ve already highlighted using them and debris to break up attacks and block some fire but space can still be fun.
Not explicitly, but they have said multiple times that megaliths are going to be a major aspect of the game. The concept art and screenshots have been dominated by them, it looks like completely open space is going to be minor part of HW3, if it is in there at all.

quote:

As part of the survey, we asked you what narrative elements spoke to you the most. Among the top were monoliths, which told us that you found environmental storytelling to be not only exciting, but a fundamental part of the Homeworld experience. We aim to take this franchise further than ever before, and we're excited to share that we've been busy building massive interactable environments using monoliths that will truly immerse you in the universe and the story.

quote:

These megaliths are in the process of being blocked out and designed. We’ve always wanted players to be able to explore the beautiful backgrounds of Homeworld and this is a step towards that. These megaliths are massive in the space, and something that we’re excited about using to bring a greater sense of scale and awe to Homeworld 3. We are excited to see how players find themselves thinking strategically and stretching their imagination on how combat can take place in, around, and with the Megaliths and space debris.

quote:

The 3D gameplay in the original games remains an incredible fantasy, but when it comes down to the tactics of winning a battle, there’s not a ton of substance. Outside of some armor differences on the tops, bottoms, and sides of ships in Homeworld 1, the gameplay difference of attacking or defending from any particular angle is lacking. That’s what Homeworld 3 (and more modern hardware) can deliver, a more realized battlespace for 3D gameplay. Key to that are large structures littering the battlespace, forming a landscape for your genius to play out.

In Homeworld 1 & 2, the ability to move your ships in 3D space was groundbreaking at the time and something that’s held for 20 years as a defining moment in the genre’s history. We’re proud of that legacy. However, if we look critically at our past work, we think there’s room to improve your experience.

These structures include the ancient Progenitor megaliths you’ve seen in our most recent trailers, gargantuan ice shelves suspended in space, dangerous asteroids, and modern Hiigaran-built structures. Homeworld’s always had a fantastic sense of scale from elusive strike craft to well-equipped frigates, truly imposing capital ships, and of course the awe-inspiring Motherships. When we add super-sized structures to the mix, we gain a whole new avenue to bring scale to Homeworld.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's really cool how closely 3 resembles the first iteration of 2, which was canned for being too complex and demanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXGUU611ZPA

They've wanted to do megaliths for over 20 years at this point.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Dunno if anybody posted already but Homeworld Remastered and Deserts of Kharak are both like 90% off on Steam

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I am so loving ready for space terrain y'all.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

How! posted:

Dunno if anybody posted already but Homeworld Remastered and Deserts of Kharak are both like 90% off on Steam

I knew a trailer or announcement was incoming when I saw the sale hit the main page. They haven't announced an Epic exclusive nonsense have they?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I knew a trailer or announcement was incoming when I saw the sale hit the main page. They haven't announced an Epic exclusive nonsense have they?

You can wishlist it on Steam so hopefully that means no.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

You can wishlist it on Steam so hopefully that means no.

It definitely means no. Stuff that's Epic exclusive isn't even searchable on Steam let alone wishlist'able.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Same, I came to check the thread after seeing that massive sale, and lo and behold, there were 9 unread posts in it. I'm absolutely ready for space terrain, too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.ign.com/videos/homeworld-3-whats-new-in-the-upcoming-rts-sequel-gamescom-2022

Rob Cunningham sits down to talk with IGN about Homeworld 3 at Day 1 of Gamescom.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deserts of kharak was much improved by the setting and having terrain, would have liked a grand scale supreme commander type game running on that engine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...er-crowdfunding

There sure is a lot of Homeworld coming

How!
Oct 29, 2009

That makes two of us

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.ign.com/videos/pinball-fx-homeworld-journey-to-hiigara-pinball-announce-trailer

It's Homeworld pinball BAY-BEE!

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Eurogamer had a one hour hands on of the game and also did a sizable interview with Rob Cunningham.

They say it feels like the Homeworld you remember in your head, so it seems they got the nostalgia right.

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-scale-in-homeworld-3-is-tremendous-its-a-space-rts-for-the-james-webb-era

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

lagidnam posted:

Eurogamer had a one hour hands on of the game and also did a sizable interview with Rob Cunningham.

They say it feels like the Homeworld you remember in your head, so it seems they got the nostalgia right.

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-scale-in-homeworld-3-is-tremendous-its-a-space-rts-for-the-james-webb-era

and speaking of nostalgia...

always a good time for a nod to Elson

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Multiball Corvette

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lagidnam posted:

I don’t think I had heard about this co-op mode he talked about at the end there. Persistent fleets seems like it would fit right in with it though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lmfao according to that interview Mecron is working on 3

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It seems to say he's just a writer so that's probably fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I recall the name but nothing else anymore lol

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Was he the guy who sank Sword of the Stars 2?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Martin Cirulis, or Mecron as he goes by online, was involved in writing Homewold: Cataclysm and often claimed he was the reason it was so good. He went on to helm both Sword of the Stars games, both of which launched as disasters (1 got very good later, 2 is one of the great preorder cautionary tales) and is possibly one of the most baselessly full of himself men in existence. His career has been hilarious and the closing of the circle had me actually laughing out loud.

This isn't a sign of HW3 being good or bad or anything it's just funny.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

I lurked on various iterations of Kerberos Production's official forums years back and I'd wager Cirulis spent as much time on there posting, getting into nasty arguments and trolling people (with Arinn Dembo alongside the whole way...) as managing the company by the time SotS2 launched, crashed and burned.

Pretty much the same take as Psycho Landlord here, it's just funny, and contributing writing to something is the one thing he's demonstrably good at.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, SOTS one was so cool (only picked it up after all the expansions were out) and SOTS2 *looked* great and I was always kinda surprised they apparently never hammered it into something workable.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
SotS2 has so many bad decisions throughout the game that it's basically an alpha build.

The 'Semper Fi' module makes me furious every time I see it. Such a trivial change to name it something else, but no, Mecron made that a hill he would die on.

The mission system sounds interesting and like it 'might' make late game smoother, but up front it's incredibly frustrating in a blatantly un-fun way. And then it has so many unhandled exceptions a few turns in that literally every single game I've ever tried to play of SotS2 has ended because of some colossal fuckup in a mission that I'd have to go back 10 turns to undo and I'd rather delete the game than struggle through what by that point has been a slog than play the damned game more.

Read the LPs on the archive, they're great summaries and not a single word of them is hyperbole.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What’s a semper fi module. Does it make crayons??

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I thought SotS would be more 4X like, I think. I probably would have liked it a lot more if I’d contextualized it as store brand Homeworld instead of store brand MOO.

I really just wanted all of those games to be Stellaris but nothing was Stellaris until Stellaris.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

General Battuta posted:

What’s a semper fi module. Does it make crayons??

loving :lmao:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sword of the Stars had some interesting story beats, and most people rightly view Cataclysm fondly. But Mecron wasn't the lead writer for SotS iirc, so what his value as a writer for Homeworld 3 will be is an open question. As long as he's not part of the actual development team of the game, I'm just amused by him being involved at all.

SotS2 had so much potential, I'm still mad about how it turned out.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
All I recall from Mecron is how he used to be a general prick on the SotS forums and when I realized that the dude was a developer I pretty much noped out of anything to do with those games.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I love SOTS 1 so much (shame it's MP is crippled by the death of Gamespy), and I am so angry about SOTS 2. I pre-ordered that thing. I lived that launch. "Don't worry guys, a beta-build got uploaded by mistake, uploading the real game soon..."

Cataclysm was a better sequel to HW than HW2 was so who knows, maybe this is a good sign for HW3's story if only because they're tapping Cataclysm people and SOUND like they're aware of the missteps of HW2's direction.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mecrons moronic "realism" shtick was a big reason why sots 2 sucked. Don't make fleets, make military bases!! Then you give them missions but you can't change them once issued because ftl communication is impossible. That and the game was basically a giant combat tech demo with very little actual game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Sword of the Stars had some interesting story beats, and most people rightly view Cataclysm fondly. But Mecron wasn't the lead writer for SotS iirc, so what his value as a writer for Homeworld 3 will be is an open question. As long as he's not part of the actual development team of the game, I'm just amused by him being involved at all.

SotS2 had so much potential, I'm still mad about how it turned out.

He wrote all the parts of Cataclysm everyone likes a bunch and is also mad at HW2 for not really acknowledging cata. His presence on the HW3 writing team, as well as the fact that said presence was very deliberately mentioned in a hype article, definitely implies to me they're trying to internalize the parts of Cata people still talk about into 3.

I wish the SOTS2 thread wasn't nuked off the forums, the launch night was some truly excellent posting (I was there :negative:)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Was he the one responsible for the perfect pacifist psychic dolphins who will genocide you with life-devouring super-plagues if you dare tell them no but somehow this doesn't count as breaking their inviolate code of peace?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Was he the one responsible for the perfect pacifist psychic dolphins who will genocide you with life-devouring super-plagues if you dare tell them no but somehow this doesn't count as breaking their inviolate code of peace?

No, that was Dembo.