Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

been struggling with adhd and getting work done. i need to find some mechanisms to get me to do poo poo because switching jobs to get that new thing hyper focus boost is not sustainable.

goddang i feel this. ive hit 3 years and oof im distracted all the time

i think my next Big Project will focus me again, but it starts next year and ive got a bunch of stuff to wrap up before then that's so much harder to get myself to do than it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

:honk:

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Started messing around with Rust, and I'm actually enjoying it? Could never really get into writing C for some reason, and Go is just a mess, but I think Rust is the right mix of familiar syntax and safeguards for dumb idiot dotnet developers like me for me to get into it. Even made my first open source contribution in a long rear end time.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cjs: got all of next week off :toot:

haven't told my boss that the reason I'm using up PTO now is because I'm quitting :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

is the boat captain loving with em?? lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

is the boat captain loving with em?? lol

wouldn’t you?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sometimes i like c# and sometimes i really dont like c#

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
cjs: this "town hall" meeting feels like a cult indoctrination meeting. i mean, it kind of is, but still

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Zamujasa posted:

cjs: this "town hall" meeting feels like a cult indoctrination meeting. i mean, it kind of is, but still

sounds like a town hall, yeah

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Emotional roller-coaster this morning as the configuration change I made yesterday took down a service today. Tracked down the problem to a line that has an "if environment != PROD" check in it. Curse the name of whomever did that as I do a git blame. Oops, it was me. Well, what was it before? Oh, I just moved a line my predecessor wrote, whew.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

cjs: got all of next week off :toot:

haven't told my boss that the reason I'm using up PTO now is because I'm quitting :D

hell yeah, chicken dinner

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

i thought this thread was for making sure we deliver on time and on quality

:backtowork:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

been struggling with adhd and getting work done. i need to find some mechanisms to get me to do poo poo because switching jobs to get that new thing hyper focus boost is not sustainable.

when i was unmedicated basically nothing worked at all but now that i am i've found that controlling my environment is everything. if i'm sitting at my home desk with my home pc it's almost impossible for me to get anything done, but if i just move my work laptop into the kitchen or living room it's like nothing else exists. not saying this will work for you but it's worth trying if you haven't already

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Improbable Lobster posted:

sounds like a town hall, yeah

i mean moreso than usual. corporate has apparently partnered with some ~culture strategists~. one of the slides was the same clipart strategy pyramid, but the second one was slightly larger.

c1: current culture
c2: desired culture

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

i mean moreso than usual. corporate has apparently partnered with some ~culture strategists~. one of the slides was the same clipart strategy pyramid, but the second one was slightly larger.

c1: current culture
c2: desired culture

c3: lusted after culture

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
cjs: just applied for a job at a weed dispensary lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

https://twitter.com/quinnypig/status/1562459125908262914?s=21&t=Z5KEqYBKBJ-zE42BVBq0Xg

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Related, a few weeks ago I practically begged my manager to let me work on a project, then once he agreed I did literally nothing on it for the rest of the sprint.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this is relatable to me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ow, that one hurts

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Beeftweeter posted:

cjs: just applied for a job at a weed dispensary lol

as a tech guy or as a weed guy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ruralindexing/status/1560033731355627520

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Roosevelt posted:

as a tech guy or as a weed guy

the second one

i honestly don't know what to apply for and the wife is beside herself so i figured it'd be chill enough

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

found your mom's house

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Do people really feel personally respected by the fact that slack emojis have skin tones? It seems really weird to me because the default emoji is not the color of any human's skin, and it almost feels like the implied message is that a thumbs up has a different meaning depending on the color of the person's skin which seems gross as gently caress.

i feel the same way about having multiple genders (e.g. male and female detective) that mean the exact same thing in use and would prefer that everything was gender ambiguous but at least with those it feels a little bit more like a representative choice of like "i am doing detective work" instead of just abstract "joy" or "agreement" or whatever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

found your mom's house

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

whats even worse is theres one white guy in our org that uses black emojis for everything, as i think some sort of perceived solidarity thing. really bizarre behavior.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

Do people really feel personally respected by the fact that slack emojis have skin tones? It seems really weird to me because the default emoji is not the color of any human's skin, and it almost feels like the implied message is that a thumbs up has a different meaning depending on the color of the person's skin which seems gross as gently caress.

i feel the same way about having multiple genders (e.g. male and female detective) that mean the exact same thing in use and would prefer that everything was gender ambiguous but at least with those it feels a little bit more like a representative choice of like "i am doing detective work" instead of just abstract "joy" or "agreement" or whatever

they're basic things that should be there for those that want to use them. pretending they're any more than the bare minimum scraps is the problem.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cls: pobbles r great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_e55X-0W7M

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

South asian folks that I work with use the skin tone modifiers to match their own, they seem to appreciate that it's there. Representation isn't liberation but sometimes small things feel good

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fortaleza posted:

South asian folks that I work with use the skin tone modifiers to match their own, they seem to appreciate that it's there. Representation isn't liberation but sometimes small things feel good

iawtp

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

the problem with pobbles

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i imagine it hits different if you're a person of color (i.e. not white) since while the yellow tone is basically simpsons-esque, the simpsons are also obviously white (race) in design. it's minor, but it's the bare minimum of recognizing people exist, which is better than what has been for a long time.

lol if you even get halfway past the "building" step before loving off to some other hyperfocus

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Zamujasa posted:

i imagine it hits different if you're a person of color (i.e. not white) since while the yellow tone is basically simpsons-esque, the simpsons are also obviously white (race) in design. it's minor, but it's the bare minimum of recognizing people exist, which is better than what has been for a long time.

lol if you even get halfway past the "building" step before loving off to some other hyperfocus

the secret is to solve only the novel part of the project and then give up entirely once the rest is just Labor

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Beeftweeter posted:

the second one

i honestly don't know what to apply for and the wife is beside herself so i figured it'd be chill enough

my wife works in administration at the company farm and the pay isn't great but the perks are nice. yesterday one of the growers chopped a half ounce of lemonhead right off the tree and sent her home with it

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe they can just make the thumbs up emoji randomly choose a skin color, problem solved

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

its not a big deal and if a POC feels represented who am i to judge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

size don't matter to the CIA
they can see your dick from outer-space!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zH9Zca1vRM