Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

While studies of people who tried to lose weight and succeeded long term sometimes show a low percentage succeeding, you have to take the methodology into account. Of the people who say "yeah I'm gonna try to lose weight" the percentage that will maintain a long-term change in lifestyle to try change their body composition is pretty small. There is a gulf between wanting to do something and actually walking the walk and it's not surprising that most people don't care to cross it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I tried a free Ju Jitsu class today and oh boy, not for me. This particular gym does maybe 15 minutes of warmup and 45 minutes of trying out new moves, I think "ok, cool, now we're just about at the hour and we're done". Nope, that's when sparring starts, and that seems to go on for another 30 minutes. I say I think because I got about 3 partners in (you spend 3 to 5 minutes with each) and ended up so exhausted I tapped out of the class entirely, I was sitting on the side line getting water and they didn't look like they were warming down. I could tell it wasn't for me.

Its a great workout, but exhausting in a non satisfying way for me. Plus I don't know if I can get past the close human contact inherent to ground stuff. I think I'll go back to boxing but I'm also realizing that any combat sport is going to be in that band of effort that I'm really bad at: I can exert a moderate amount of effort for an hour no problem jogging and running, I can expend maximum effort for 10-30 seconds or so lifting, but that middle ground of expending high effort for a few minutes is so miserable.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

In other news: I got into a pretty good chest routine and I'm looking for feedback:

Bench press (incline or regular, sometimes I do pause bench here): 5 sets of 5, I have a hard time going past 90% here cause I rarely have a spot.
Dumbbell press, heavy weight: 3 sets of AMRAP
TRX Rows: 5 sets of 5 (not really chest but I think it works in pretty good)
Pectoral Fly Cable machine: 3 sets of 8
Deltoid fly (same machine but backwards): 3 sets of 8

I end up pretty sore by the end of it, I think previously I just wasn't doing enough volume for my chest exercises: I gave a lot of effort during my sets but never really felt sore the next day, now that's changed (in a good way)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Share Bear posted:

but like, EVERY time? like you do a set and you full pull and drop each one.

it's so common, there has to be a reasoning for it, it makes no sense to me, and i'm way too anxious to just go up to someone and be like "why do your deads suck lmao"

they do it so everyone knows they're lifting and can see what a cool person they are. same reason why the idiots at work who still smoke will buy a pack and smack the bottom of it for 20 minutes before opening it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

martial arts can be a fast way to fitness, but it’s really only fast because you’re doing so much drat work at such a high intensity

also I know multiple people who have torn their acl/lcl doing jujitsu

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ADINSX posted:

In other news: I got into a pretty good chest routine and I'm looking for feedback:

Bench press (incline or regular, sometimes I do pause bench here): 5 sets of 5, I have a hard time going past 90% here cause I rarely have a spot.
Dumbbell press, heavy weight: 3 sets of AMRAP
TRX Rows: 5 sets of 5 (not really chest but I think it works in pretty good)
Pectoral Fly Cable machine: 3 sets of 8
Deltoid fly (same machine but backwards): 3 sets of 8

I end up pretty sore by the end of it, I think previously I just wasn't doing enough volume for my chest exercises: I gave a lot of effort during my sets but never really felt sore the next day, now that's changed (in a good way)

this seems like a lot to me but maybe i'm not doing nearly enough

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

carry on then posted:

this seems like a lot to me but maybe i'm not doing nearly enough

It doesn’t take too long, I have some legs stuff in there too to round out those days and the entire workout takes a little over an hour

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ADINSX posted:

It doesn’t take too long, I have some legs stuff in there too to round out those days and the entire workout takes a little over an hour

I reread it and it looks like you’re doing 3 lifts that target the chest, same as me, so I guess it must be rests and warmups that make mine take about that long without the other stuff.

I probably underestimate how much time it takes me to reconfigure the plates on my dumbbells too. Big downside of a home set instead of a full rack of them

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
rearranging dumbbells suck but gently caress having a whole rack of them at home

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

aight hit my yearly goals, celebrated with a falafel gyro, maybe will have a beer later

one guy did the drop thing again but he was in vastly better shape than i was so i dont know, its probably peacocking

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what is the drop thing

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

barkbell posted:

what is the drop thing

you do a deadlift (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qRntuXBSc). instead of returning the weight to the floor in a smooth compound motion, you kind of drop where one would start bending their knees. you do this repeatedly. you are not lifting large amounts/single max reps of weight.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I asked in another thread but I wanted some more advice, is there any stretching or something else I can do to help fix my wrist position during squats? I noticed I was overextending my wrists quite a bit so I went back down to 1 plate and now find it really hard to maintain a neutral wrist.

the answer was i need to stop using the stupid nonadjustable squat rack :doh:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the answer was i need to stop using the stupid nonadjustable squat rack :doh:

oh yeah that things a death trap, the one with the rails that guide it right

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Share Bear posted:

A smith machine? Or are you talking about a squat rack that just has locked-in pegs (making the initial lift and set-down afterwards awkward.)?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
oh ya some people dont train the eccentric on the deadlift

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i train the eccentric every time i work out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

No it's not a smith machine. Non adjustable meaning you can't really mess with any of the preset heights, one of these:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
whoever invented that thing should be put down.

who in the world decided THAT was better than having holes for j-cups?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

No it's not a smith machine. Non adjustable meaning you can't really mess with any of the preset heights, one of these:

ok still bad but
i feel smith machines are bad as if that wasnt obvious

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

alright gently caress this poo poo I got kinda fat again it's time to lose some goddamned weight for real this time. been chatting with a cute girl on bumble who's super into the same poo poo as me and I want to shed some of this dad bod

height: 5'4" (yeah get your jokes in you lanky shits)
starting weight: 154 lbs
target weight: 130 lbs

I've set fitbit up to calculate a 500 kcal/day deficit so in theory that's 24 weeks to my target weight. winter's gonna gently caress me up a bit because of the general lack of outdoor exercise I can do but there's a gym with some cardio machines and poo poo in my apartment building so I'm gonna do my best to take advantage of it. also gonna get some weights in because holy poo poo my upper body strength needs to be less garbo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ll support ya bro - you can do it. 🫡

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

takes the same floor space as a power rack, but has none of the benefits. so of course all the gyms buy em

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kazinsal posted:

alright gently caress this poo poo I got kinda fat again it's time to lose some goddamned weight for real this time. been chatting with a cute girl on bumble who's super into the same poo poo as me and I want to shed some of this dad bod

height: 5'4" (yeah get your jokes in you lanky shits)
starting weight: 154 lbs
target weight: 130 lbs

I've set fitbit up to calculate a 500 kcal/day deficit so in theory that's 24 weeks to my target weight. winter's gonna gently caress me up a bit because of the general lack of outdoor exercise I can do but there's a gym with some cardio machines and poo poo in my apartment building so I'm gonna do my best to take advantage of it. also gonna get some weights in because holy poo poo my upper body strength needs to be less garbo

how's this been going?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

got in a good double kettlebell workout this morning.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my balls are huge too

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

got in a good double kettlebell workout this morning.

u beat off this morning :dafuq:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I Sure Could Go For Some BELLS Right Now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the man tries to keep you down by taking away your richard scarry avs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if your balls weigh ten pounds each and make clanking noises please go see a doctor

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qirex posted:

if your balls weigh ten pounds each and make clanking noises please go see a doctor

no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
keep coming back to the idea of using meth to bootstrap into fitness

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

echinopsis posted:

this is the kind of outside the box thinking I come to this thread for

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

echinopsis posted:

In the gym we just call it “preworkout”.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:911::911::911:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

dudes rock

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

echinopsis posted:

Angeldust investor

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

end of the year bump

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

started going to high intensity interval training with some friends in the lab earlier this semester; for the first time in my life I actually have some definition in my arms

still about 25 pounds heavier than pre-FAANG and pre-pandemic but I guess it's a process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good poo poo