Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

japtor posted:

As for myself I have a full custom mini one I did, an AllFightSticks custom (also mini)...and Sega Astro City and Taito Vewlix cabs. And a Blast City but still haven't gotten that set up yet. And an old modded MadCatz stick which is lost somewhere at my parents' house :ughh:. Oh and a Fightboard LP! It's basically the most portable "stick" that I bring around if I don't want to bring my actual stick.

What's up fellow AFS 10 incher? Only complaint is I wish there was a joystick mount instead of having to use spacers and poo poo but whatever. Currently packing Sanwa stick and buttons on there and it's just great for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i just received my mayflash f500 in the mail and the "fot" for me is so much better than the 8bitdo it's ridiculous. already ordered seimetsu ls-56 and seimitsu buttons to drop in there

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

not only is each color weak/strong against other colors, correct attack color is also how you charge your shields and bombs. there's a lot of stuff to remember, like, I'm sure it looked really elegant on paper, but shmups don't generally leave a lot of brain time left over after the constant high speed precise dodging and weaving
Yeah I remember it being compared to Ikaruga but adding a third color is a massive change. Goes from being a simple one or the other thing, to all the different color combinations in Pawarumi. It just broke my brain.

Social Animal posted:

What's up fellow AFS 10 incher? Only complaint is I wish there was a joystick mount instead of having to use spacers and poo poo but whatever. Currently packing Sanwa stick and buttons on there and it's just great for everything.
Mine's a 9.5"! Or 9" I forget, got it way back before that size disappeared (still might be available if they still take custom orders). I forget the construction details but might've been slightly different from the others, I do remember it being less customizable.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

japtor posted:

Mine's a 9.5"! Or 9" I forget, got it way back before that size disappeared (still might be available if they still take custom orders). I forget the construction details but might've been slightly different from the others, I do remember it being less customizable.

Sounds about right. I think when you get to the 14 inch when the build gets different.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
For fans of Geometry Wars, Bezier: Second Edition is 2 bucks on Switch at the moment. It's a simple game but I've had a lot of fun with it: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/bezier-second-edition-switch/

Danmaku Unlimited 3 is 5 bucks: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/danmaku-unlimited-3-switch/

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I've been playing some Crimzon Clover on the threads recommendation. It's amazing! What a cool game. Looks great, feels great. I almost got the 1cc on novice mode but I died to the boss after the last boss.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The TLB is a total bastard. I've lost 3 1CCs to its final pattern on the final phase. Bear in mind that when it fades back from the screen after the first phase, it will move to a new location and EXPLODE when it returns.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I ended up ordering the 8Bitdo arcade stick. It came in today, and I'm loving it so far. I'm worse with it than with a gamepad, but it doesn't hurt my hands at all.

Also, I got the Novice mode 1cc in Crimzon Clover. It was a little messier than I would have liked. But I did learn from a message after the credits that "Shooting game never die" which I'm a big fan of.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

arcade sticks are old news

hitbox is the way and the light

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m that unfortunate sort who just sucks too much to 1cc a lot of stuff, but also can’t have fun without a failure state to struggle against. So no infinite credits. I need something like the Rtype checkpoint system to have fun.
One thing I really loved about the 360 version of Ikaruga and the Switch version of Eschatos was how they dealt with that. You start the game only being allowed 1 credit, but getting higher and higher scores unlocked the ability to start your next run with higher and higher credits. I think I unlocked like eight credits before I beat Ikaruga the first time.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

galagazombie posted:

I’m that unfortunate sort who just sucks too much to 1cc a lot of stuff, but also can’t have fun without a failure state to struggle against. So no infinite credits. I need something like the Rtype checkpoint system to have fun.
One thing I really loved about the 360 version of Ikaruga and the Switch version of Eschatos was how they dealt with that. You start the game only being allowed 1 credit, but getting higher and higher scores unlocked the ability to start your next run with higher and higher credits. I think I unlocked like eight credits before I beat Ikaruga the first time.

if you haven't already, check out ZerOranger. I'm playing it now and it's got score-gated unlockable credits. The checkpoint system is a bit more forgiving than R-Type in that a continue will send you back to a checkpoint but a "death" won't.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Danmaku Unlimited 3 unlocks more credits over time, as does ESPrade. Took me 5 credits to clear DU3 Easy mode.

ESPrade Psi has a remarkable training mode that breaks the game up into tiny discreet segments.

Level 1 looks something like this. You can select any of the following from a menu: Area 1 - Midboss - Area 2 - Midboss - Area 3 - Boss - Run entire level

If you die at any point, the game instantly loops you back 10 seconds or so, and doesn't let you proceed without surviving longer than you did before. If you enable Spartan Training mode, you have to do it 3 times to proceed. I love this stuff and it has not only succeeded at improving my performance, it is also fun as gently caress by itself.

Furthermore there is a 2nd training mode that is always recording deaths during normal arcade gameplay. It makes a save state automatically and runs you through the training loop from 10 seconds or so before each death.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 24, 2022

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Bought Danmaku Unlimited 3 on my Switch as well, I don't have time for complex games right now.
There's no way to go in beam mode without holding fire as well, isn't it?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Unfortunately yes that is the case.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gg aleste is real fun and good and easy

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

While I realize twin sticks are distinct from shoot em ups, they are fairly closely related.
That's why I figure folks in here might be interested to know we have all been left an inheritance by a twin stick dev
https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/indie-developer-passes-away-games-free-parting-gift-20220822

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

beer gas canister posted:

Danmaku Unlimited 3 unlocks more credits over time, as does ESPrade. Took me 5 credits to clear DU3 Easy mode.

ESPrade Psi has a remarkable training mode that breaks the game up into tiny discreet segments.

Level 1 looks something like this. You can select any of the following from a menu: Area 1 - Midboss - Area 2 - Midboss - Area 3 - Boss - Run entire level

If you die at any point, the game instantly loops you back 10 seconds or so, and doesn't let you proceed without surviving longer than you did before. If you enable Spartan Training mode, you have to do it 3 times to proceed. I love this stuff and it has not only succeeded at improving my performance, it is also fun as gently caress by itself.

Furthermore there is a 2nd training mode that is always recording deaths during normal arcade gameplay. It makes a save state automatically and runs you through the training loop from 10 seconds or so before each death.

The ShotTriGgers series Sparta Training mode is one feature I wish every modern shmup port had. It's that good.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

The Voice of Labor posted:

gg aleste is real fun and good and easy

Added these and Soldier series to the OP. The Aleste games are so cool. Anybody have a favorite? The Genesis version of MUSHA is on the Switch Expansion Pass now.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Added these and Soldier series to the OP. The Aleste games are so cool. Anybody have a favorite? The Genesis version of MUSHA is on the Switch Expansion Pass now.

MUSHA is definitely the one I revisit often. Zanac Neo on PSX is pretty drat good too even though it's not the original Compile staff.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Just got my first legit 1CC (not counting ESPrade supereasy because it is way too easy) on Crimzon Clover Novice! What a fuckin rush. I still don't understand that final pattern so I bombed through it and got lucky with a Break right at the end. This was after a few days of playing only the final boss in training mode with 2 lives until I could win about half the time. Incredible experience. This took just under 1 month of practice, after playing other shmups for a few weeks prior.

https://imgur.com/iGsoYvx.mp4

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 24, 2022

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just got my first legit 1CC (not counting ESPrade supereasy because it is way too easy) on Crimzon Clover Novice! What a fuckin rush. I still don't understand that final pattern so I bombed through it and got lucky with a Break right at the end. This was after a few days of playing only the final boss in training mode with 2 lives until I could win about half the time. Incredible experience. This took just under 1 month of practice, after playing other shmups for a few weeks prior.

https://imgur.com/iGsoYvx.mp4

GG! Those watermelon seeds at the end are rough yeah but you had a good amount of resources and pulled through. What's next, original? Different game?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I'm going to continue with Novice modes in other games. Probably Mushihimesama next, but I'll keep chipping away at ESPrade in training mode. Mushi Novice doesn't have a training mode so it will probably take a while. DU3 is on the list too. I'd like to do Progear someday as well but that turned out to be WAY harder than I first estimated so that can wait I've improved my overall skill.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

B33rChiller posted:

While I realize twin sticks are distinct from shoot em ups, they are fairly closely related.
That's why I figure folks in here might be interested to know we have all been left an inheritance by a twin stick dev
https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/indie-developer-passes-away-games-free-parting-gift-20220822

Grabbed, thank you! It's sad that this is why we're getting them, but an amazingly sweet gesture.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

What are the best euroshmups? I want approachable trash, not finely balanced scoring systems and high skill ceilings. I've had more fun with Tyrian and Raptor than any of the R-Types or Touhous I've played.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

jets 'n' guns is p' god tier. funny too

apogee's stargunner is good too

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I like Steredenn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgA0NZSB_M

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I started Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer at one point, but it was just as eurostupid as those umlauts suggest, and that was more than I could handle at the time. Might fit what you're looking for, though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

took a break from practicing m.u.s.h.a. on normal to 1cc it on easy (would've been no miss if i hadn't choked on the last boss). still just an immensely satisfying experience and the music is real good too

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Deviant posted:

arcade sticks are old news

hitbox is the way and the light
I feel like the Hitbox layout would be weird for shmups. Get a Mixbox :colbert:

I'm going to continue with Novice modes in other games. Probably Mushihimesama next, but I'll keep chipping away at ESPrade in training mode. Mushi Novice doesn't have a training mode so it will probably take a while. DU3 is on the list too. I'd like to do Progear someday as well but that turned out to be WAY harder than I first estimated so that can wait I've improved my overall skill.
Nice on the Crimzon Clover clear! For whatever reason I haven't tried Novice yet, instead just have always bashed my head on the harder modes and barely get anywhere. But the Cave Novice modes I've tried have been great so those should be fun for you. How far have you gotten with Progear?
I need to play this one some more. The lack of button remapping (:argh:) made the layout a bit weird on an arcade stick. I know the Switch can do it at the system level, but it's a global setting rather than per game last I checked, so it'd be annoying to use just for this.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

japtor posted:

I need to play this one some more. The lack of button remapping (:argh:) made the layout a bit weird on an arcade stick. I know the Switch can do it at the system level, but it's a global setting rather than per game last I checked, so it'd be annoying to use just for this.
You can also only do it for Joycons and the Pro Controller, nothing that just goes in as "USB". So can't do it for a stick either way.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Grew up wasting money on 1941/1942/1943, Raiden and various other shmups at the arcade, but haven't really touched the scene much recently. Only had a stint with R-Type on the game boy, and beating it back then felt like being on top of the world (I didn't realise back then how shorter and easier it was compared to the original). The DOS era also had a few highlights with the shareware version of Zone 66, the very-mediocre-but-we-didn't-have-anything-better Raptor, and finally the sublime Tyrian. In an adjacent genre, did a good bit of Beat Hazard, which is pretty cool in itself.

Been feeling like giving bullet hells a go for a while, and I guess this thread kicked me over the fence. Looking at the various titles, trying out the Crimzon Clover demo, and finding out that Humble currently have sales including plenty of these, I ended up picking Crimzon Clover, Mushihimesame, DoDonPachi Resurrection and Deathsmiles (some horizontal scrolling might be a neat change of pace). Time to git gud now, I guess. :kingsley:

On a tangent, there's one arcade shmup I just can't remember the name of, but people here might know. It was vertical scrolling, classic spaceship/laser stuff, and had the Gradius-style mind-blowing-back-then risk vs reward powerup system where acquiring the best weapons required hoarding powerups without using them until you had enough. But it absolutely was vertical, so not Gradius I guess.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
That makes me think of V.V, a vertical scrolling stg by Toaplan.

https://youtu.be/0XcUhwFC2FM

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

bare bottom pancakes posted:

That makes me think of V.V, a vertical scrolling stg by Toaplan.

https://youtu.be/0XcUhwFC2FM

My memory's a bit hazy since it's something I only ever played a few times as a kid at the holiday resort's arcade, so this might be it, though I feel like the powerup bar at the bottom was a bit more teasing with more ominous upgrade names. This shmup wiki however calls the game unique in using the Gradius-style upgrades for a vertical shooter, so I guess you got it right instantly. Will have to find it and settle a 30-year old score now that I'm no longer held back by pocket money. Thanks!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

japtor posted:

Nice on the Crimzon Clover clear! For whatever reason I haven't tried Novice yet, instead just have always bashed my head on the harder modes and barely get anywhere. But the Cave Novice modes I've tried have been great so those should be fun for you. How far have you gotten with Progear?

I can almost make it to stage 3 without dying. 3 isn't bad, but 4 and especially 5 are nuts.

Also on sale at Humble right now is SPACE INVADERS EXTREME:https://www.humblebundle.com/store/space-invaders-extreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6mFYLh3zQ

The Extreme games (there are 2, with different mechanics!) are great. Play them on DS if you can. I don't have an affinity for the old Space Invaders but these hooked me easily.

Re: Gradius mechanics, Crimzon Clover's arrange mode employs a Gradius upgrade system.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 25, 2022

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Foxfire_ posted:

What are the best euroshmups? I want approachable trash, not finely balanced scoring systems and high skill ceilings. I've had more fun with Tyrian and Raptor than any of the R-Types or Touhous I've played.

Jets’n’guns 2 is the gold standard.

They decided to take seriousness out of the equation and just go off the rails with wacky items and gear combos.

JnG 1 is great as well, but 2 is a lot better.

Sky Force and Sky Force Reloaded is also great, not as good as JnG but easily in 2nd place. Reloaded is their corny way of naming the sequel, they are 2 different games.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
e; quote is not edit

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tried this last night, and is fun, but I suuuuuuuck. Can only sometimes make the 2nd boss.
Guess I need more practice

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I can almost make it to stage 3 without dying. 3 isn't bad, but 4 and especially 5 are nuts.

I am about at the same place trying arcade mode after clearing novice. I just unlocked the type Z ship and boy am I glad. It makes a lot of sections that were super hard with the type 1 ship much more manageable.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I was referring to Progear but it certainly applies to CC as well! Definitely suggest some Novice training mode work on 4&5.

Steredenn is loving brutal because it does not allow credit feeding nor does it contain a training mode

e; several links have been added to the OP:

Racketboy's Shmups 101. Lots of good foundational information here: https://www.racketboy.com/retro/shmups-101-a-beginners-guide-to-2d-shooters

Bamd's Quick Start guide: https://shmups.wiki/library/User:Bamd

A collection of informational shmup reading: https://1cclog.blogspot.com/p/precious-shmup-links.html?m=1

Restart Syndrome: A public leaderboard for casual and hardcore players alike to post their scores: https://www.restartsyndrome.com/

This is a link of the entire OP as of 8/25/22 as pastable text. Please feel free to share and modify for use in any way elsewhere, since it is unlikely that offsite users will ever see it.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

FishMcCool posted:

On a tangent, there's one arcade shmup I just can't remember the name of, but people here might know. It was vertical scrolling, classic spaceship/laser stuff, and had the Gradius-style mind-blowing-back-then risk vs reward powerup system where acquiring the best weapons required hoarding powerups without using them until you had enough. But it absolutely was vertical, so not Gradius I guess.
Vert shmup with a Gradius-style powerup bar screams V-V (or, V-Five) to me. It also had an alternate version with more traditional shmup powerups, called Grind Stormer, which had a Mega Drive port.