Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samovar posted:

God, Undertale was great, wasn't it?

‘twas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Zamujasa posted:

undertale 6th anniversary so we play deltarune chapter 1

for some reason

e: it occurs to me that undertale's birthday will be rolling around again in a few days, wonder if we'll get a status update or treat

We've gotten status updates the last two Septembers so I expect we'll get one of those if nothing else.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Augus posted:

the colored tile maze was also an all-time great

I think it's faster to list things involving Papyrus that aren't great. Here's what I've got so far:

• His presence in Deltarune amounts only to empty promises and a faint and fading trousling of bones.*

*subject to change when his eventual appearance retroactively makes it worth the wait

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

God, Undertale was great, wasn't it?

Not only that, but the crew behind it was all good too so you don't even have to feel guilty about playing it like FNAF.

As someone with no noteworthy achievements, it's very impressive to look at his resume. Made Undertale, got it sent to the pope by a fan, had an orchestrated version performed, worked with Camellia and Hololive, battles Sakurai in Smash, got Sans in Smash as well, does composition for Pokemon, man's doing good poo poo.

Few more successes like that and he might be able to buy a house in New York!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Didn't he make a tweet shortly after Undertale's original release to the effect of his mom telling him to get a real job now that his little project was finished? Wonder what she thinks now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Made Undertale, got it sent to the pope by a fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdxHJmDDA0

What a thing to start the year with

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I know I'm biased literally posting in the Undertale thread, but I think Undertale has the best soundtrack of any game of all time. I had a discussion recently with someone where they said FFXIV has the best OST of all time, and while it's certainly up there and I love it, every single track in Undertale is a banger (or an emotional banger). Toby Fox has something special in him when it comes to music

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Toby fox is a guy who made the song "long elevator", which still has more emotional depth then some other games

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Eh, the OST gets weak in the middle for me. Waterfall's just interminable.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Macaluso posted:

I know I'm biased literally posting in the Undertale thread, but I think Undertale has the best soundtrack of any game of all time. I had a discussion recently with someone where they said FFXIV has the best OST of all time, and while it's certainly up there and I love it, every single track in Undertale is a banger (or an emotional banger). Toby Fox has something special in him when it comes to music

The only game I think comes close on the all-banger front was Chrono Trigger, and making that required one of the top 10 game musicians of the time working himself so hard he was bed ridden and one of the other legends of the time taking over.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hogama posted:

nah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one criticism i have of the ost is that Reunited gets way too bombastic for a song that can be looping for 30-45 minutes if you go talk to everyone

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

ikanreed posted:

The only game I think comes close on the all-banger front was Chrono Trigger, and making that required one of the top 10 game musicians of the time working himself so hard he was bed ridden and one of the other legends of the time taking over.

Not to derail too far, but I agree with you wholeheartedly and I feel bad saying that the Epoch theme is (imo) the weakest tune in the whole soundtrack.

My only problem with the Undertale soundtrack is that I had to go in and manually combine Your Best Nightmare and Finale so that I could get appropriate resolution when shuffling!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The soundtrack is pretty good but could use a few more vocal tracks imho.

Maybe he could do a collaboration with Daisuke.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

it took 7 years to enter the "meh the undertale OST wasn't THAT good" era, congratulations toby fox

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hogama posted:

Napstablook's spooky music is in waterfall

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

it took 7 years to enter the "meh the undertale OST wasn't THAT good" era, congratulations toby fox

i mean once you’ve heard big shot everything seems mediocre at best in comparison

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best ost was that time Uematsu got a blank check from Microsoft and hired Ian Gillan so he could jam with him on the boss music

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think toby's best trick is taking goofy music and managing to turn it into kickin battle music, like with queen and papyrus

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

RareAcumen posted:

Not only that, but the crew behind it was all good too so you don't even have to feel guilty about playing it like FNAF.

So this just kinda got glossed over, but I haven't heard anything about this, and my nephew is about the age that he's starting to get interested in it. Is there something that I should know?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Aniodia posted:

So this just kinda got glossed over, but I haven't heard anything about this, and my nephew is about the age that he's starting to get interested in it. Is there something that I should know?

The creator of fnaf is a chud

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more specifically he's an evangelical christian whose been using his games' profits to pump significant sums of money into far-right political campaigns across the country

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The Undertale OST is a masterpiece but I still would give the best OST award to FFVII or Chrono Trigger.

That's not undermining anything about Toby though, he's incredible and I've never seen someone with such a mastery of leitmotif as he has.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been learning some piano arrangements of DR/UT songs and it's given me a newfound appreciation for his composition

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the best ost was that time Uematsu got a blank check from Microsoft and hired Ian Gillan so he could jam with him on the boss music

Blue Dragon does hold a special place in my heart. It might be the only video game I'd call "so bad it's good"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

All the sweet tunes at the end are just a part of the payoff

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

zetamind2000 posted:

The creator of fnaf is a chud

Oxxidation posted:

more specifically he's an evangelical christian whose been using his games' profits to pump significant sums of money into far-right political campaigns across the country

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, not really a big fan of that myself, and I know my brother isn't either, so I'll let him know before he goes out and buys anything FNAF-related. Thanks for the heads-up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macaluso posted:

I've posted it before but this showcase on leitmotif usage in undertale really underscores just how amazing it is. genuinely one of the best soundtracks, if not the best soundtrack, for a video game, ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKy4B29Do7k&hd=1

it's so ridiculously well thought out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/CameraColossus/status/1563308221913128960

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I've seen Scott Cawthon's donations and hundreds of thousands went to charity at least. Doesn't make it better.

... and a lot to WWF. Who knew he was a wrestling fan? :classiclol:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Scott pisses me off because I was like "oh hey, maybe NOT all Catholics are evil!" And then oops nope I was right the first time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/thetruecourtesy/status/1563254537678229504

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Art

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Kiwi Ralsei just feels right

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I know I’m two of those views.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm at least five of them

lol @ Twitter for the Phillips CD-i I didn't even notice that

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/SightseekerAnim/status/1566097437206405120

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that was way funnier then it had any right to be.

https://www.fangamer.com/collections/deltarune

i know people already know this probably but deltarune has some pretty good merch store now. i have both ralsies now and one sits on my work desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
FG Susie is slightly cursed. Ralsei and Kris are on point though. (I think that's one of Steve's friends from American Dad?)