Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

idk it does a weird thing via the hosting, rightclick open in new tab like a 1337 hax0r

i did this and you are trolling me, good sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c james s: reviewers are loving stupid, new saints row rocks. game world's big and fun, game's pretty bug free apart from some occasional vehicle physics and AI jank, characters are cool (Kevin is a kick-rear end sidekick), writing's decent, and the game's fairly pretty

either the game spontaneously becomes suck more than 10 hours in (not that reviewers play more than that anyways) or volition shipped them a six month old beta to see what would happen because the time I've put into it has been both smooth and super fun. it's a saints row game through and through.

idk maybe they're just mad about a shirtless bi dude in the main cast or something. y'know, in a game from a series that has let you completely buck the gender binary in character customization for almost fifteen years

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Yeah the new saints row is fine, but it does have a bunch of annoying bugs. Things like the UI getting soft locked during character customization and forcing you to kill and restart the game are very annoying

There was a 5gb patch yesterday though, so I suppose that was supposed to be the day 1 patch and it got delayed by a couple days (at least on the PC version), which is unfortunate. They should have delayed the release by a week imo rather than letting people basically play a beta for the first couple days

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 25, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, sweet, as long as it is not boring i am not too worried about any other part

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I'm not very far in the story but so far I'm kinda digging how they wrote the main character as more of an extremely crazy anti hero rather than a straight murderous sociopath (even though you can still murder innocent people in the open world but that doesn't seem to be written in the character, it's just player choice)

like people remember saints row 2 fondly and I remember enjoying it at the time but the only details I remember now is that the protagonist did some pretty dark poo poo like burying people alive or getting back at some guy by making him crush his girlfriend to death during a demolition derby event and I'm glad if they are keeping clear of that kind of stuff in the reboot

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zlodo posted:

I'm not very far in the story but so far I'm kinda digging how they wrote the main character as more of an extremely crazy anti hero rather than a straight murderous sociopath (even though you can still murder innocent people in the open world but that doesn't seem to be written in the character, it's just player choice)

like people remember saints row 2 fondly and I remember enjoying it at the time but the only details I remember now is that the protagonist did some pretty dark poo poo like burying people alive or getting back at some guy by making him crush his girlfriend to death during a demolition derby event and I'm glad if they are keeping clear of that kind of stuff in the reboot

yeah SR2 is still one of those games that I hold in high regard because of A) how good it was in 2008 and B) how a lot of the gameplay still holds up even though it doesn't run worth a poo poo on any modern system even with mods, but SR5 seems to be trying to encapsulate the right feel that SR2 had without the overtones of wacky psychopathy baked into the main character

there's something to be said about the narrative arc of the Boss in SR2 over the course of the Brotherhood storyline and how they clearly snap after Carlos' death and how everything that happens following that is compartmentalized rage but there's a bunch of stuff in that game that's just written in to hammer home that the Boss is kind of broken after the end of SR1. but SR5 really reins that in in favour of playing up the Boss as simply being a leadership-tier criminal who's smart enough to delegate to the best people and clever enough to not get shot in the face while padding the time between gunshots with snark. and that's Saints Row to me.

good work, Deep Silver/Volition. maybe the reviewers were somehow prescient and 30 hours in I might find something that turns my stomach but so far, you done good. this is a solid fuckin Saints Row game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I could write a whole bunch of effortpost about saints row 2 but imo the best way to summarize why it was such a good game is that it was mechanically fun and was a neat pastiche of crime games compared to the then-contemporary overly gritty GTA4 while having three separate core narrative arcs, one of which was a good ol fashioned criminal empire vs criminal empire feud (ronin missions), one was the wacky breather episode with still really good writing and cohesiveness within the game world (samedi missions), and one of which was the dark hosed up poo poo that starts getting into psychopathy by the end (brotherhood missions)

frankly I remember a lot more about SR2 than I do SR3, even though I think I remember SR3 being pretty good. SR4 was fuckin inscrutable and I never played Gat Out Of Hell. my SR5 character is basically just a recreation of my SR2 character, though the masculine english voice from SR2 has no real equivalent in SR5 so I had to make do with I think it's voice #5, which has resulted in some fuckin great lines I gotta say

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

I could write a whole bunch of effortpost about saints row 2 but imo the best way to summarize why it was such a good game is that it was mechanically fun and was a neat pastiche of crime games compared to the then-contemporary overly gritty GTA4 while having three separate core narrative arcs, one of which was a good ol fashioned criminal empire vs criminal empire feud (ronin missions), one was the wacky breather episode with still really good writing and cohesiveness within the game world (samedi missions), and one of which was the dark hosed up poo poo that starts getting into psychopathy by the end (brotherhood missions)

frankly I remember a lot more about SR2 than I do SR3, even though I think I remember SR3 being pretty good. SR4 was fuckin inscrutable and I never played Gat Out Of Hell. my SR5 character is basically just a recreation of my SR2 character, though the masculine english voice from SR2 has no real equivalent in SR5 so I had to make do with I think it's voice #5, which has resulted in some fuckin great lines I gotta say

the important part is did they have the different voices all have a different song they sing along to when it pops up on the radio like in sr2

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
did they have the zombie voice in saints row 2?

it was amazing in saints row 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbcOwjH1m_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZVPe2alds4

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

all the people that love saints row seem to love it because you can do some cool genderfuck stuff, and because you can beat people to death with a dildo

im glad the gender stuff exists, but that alone doesnt really draw me in, either. and gta-but-wacky-weapons doesnt really appeal to me either

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i enjoyed the side characters/companions in previous saints rows

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man i have been loving obsessed with mechwarrior 5 lately this is way better than i thought it would be

Anybody know if the melee dlc is any good? Seems fun to run up and stab people

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

all the people that love saints row seem to love it because you can do some cool genderfuck stuff, and because you can beat people to death with a dildo

im glad the gender stuff exists, but that alone doesnt really draw me in, either. and gta-but-wacky-weapons doesnt really appeal to me either

I loved sr3 and sr4 mostly for the stupid game genre parodies (including such things as a text adventure section or a 2d side scroller beat em up section that ends up with a very dramatic scene entirely animated with ridiculously stiff sprites, or the mass effect like space ship in sr4 where all interactions with your crew mates are basically "let's gently caress")

and the small things like the news on the radio describing the absurd stuff you did in your previous mission in a very serious and sober tone

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I haven't played SDV since the 1.1 update but man they have added a shitload of new things.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Mr. Crow posted:

Man i have been loving obsessed with mechwarrior 5 lately this is way better than i thought it would be

Anybody know if the melee dlc is any good? Seems fun to run up and stab people

i like mech5. i think they rebalanced a lot of stuff since i played it. the first time i tried it i just bopped up to kurita space to buy an atlas as soon as i could afford one, at which point i crushed many fools skulls and turned into a pirate lord. i only played a little bit when they introduced melee, but it seemed handy to be able to flail out when they got in your face or if you accidentally crash into them if you're a bad pilot like me. it sounds awesome to be able to use a HAMMERFIST or KATANA SWORD to chop legs off. also SRMs are FTW

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Is there a way to set a launch option for Steam that gets prefixed to every game launch command? Set up a little script to switch over to my game workspace on the primary monitor before launching the game but would rather not edit every game's launch options. I guess I could just sed the file where the launch options are stored or something...

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

there's a fair to middling chance that i am willing to play rimworld until the heat death of the universe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same except its replaying half life 1/2/Episodes and Portal

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

now y'all got me thinking of trying mech5 again

first time i got through a bit of the campaign, realized how poo poo it was at the time and quit lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 26, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
crossing those animals

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

crossing those animals

animal crossing was an excellent gateway drug to get my gf into stardew valley and now she's making noises about starting a breath of the wild run

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ciaphas posted:

now y'all got me thinking of trying mech5 again

first time i got through a bit of the campaign, realized how poo poo it was at the time and quit lol

Ya i held off until it was recently on sale cause i heard it was poo poo, but tbh ive been having a ton of fun. I dont know if they've improved it significantly or its just scratching an itch but ive put.... To many hours into it recently.

Theres a WAR_FX mod that basically just makes all the particle effects permanent and it murders your fps but gat drat the map looks cool as hell after a fight. It can even affect your ability to engage effectively in a heavy fight, there will be so much debris in the air you really need to move around / out of it to see your target. Adds a cool layer to the strategy.

Theres a lot of other real cool looking mods I wanna try once i finish this first playthrough.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also they seem to have made the mech aquisition a lot better i guess? I still havent seen a 100Ter im only just now seeing lightweight assaults periodically, there is a mod to just buy all the mechs you want but i like the Pokémon aspect

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I think I played the original DaH! on OG Xbox (or maybe PS2?) but it looks like they have really gone all-out with the remaster of DaH!2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8mml8R9vbw

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 26, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mech 5 is on game pass

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got pretty good at tony hawk's pro skater again. feels good man

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Death Stranding: I'm in the wind-down before the finale of Episode 5.

This game is so CHEESY and JANKY and FRUSTRATING and PREACHY and DUMB and I love it.

I'm taking the VERY SUBTLE (Kojima turns to the camera and says "wink" while playing the Darkplace clip about subtext) hints about what I'm going to be expected to do next, so I'm spending some time grinding these roads into completion to be able at least get through the Known Territory without too much resource usage.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Just a heads up, you're going to want to block out a few hours for the ending, it's longer than you will think it's going to be

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
really you should have done that the moment “A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME” popped up

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

a god drat hideo game

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Just a heads up, you're going to want to block out a few hours for the ending, it's longer than you will think it's going to be

haveblue posted:

really you should have done that the moment “A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME” popped up

Armitag3 posted:

a god drat hideo game

I know this. It's why I don't even start main story missions when I don't have an hour to spare. Though in typical Kojima fashion I'm still expecting side missions to "accidentally" drop me into a long cutscene at some point.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/1563058143479103488

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

im the chuckling scoundrel

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

would play

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
well dang, my steam deck order is up

uh, is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

Though in typical Kojima fashion I'm still expecting side missions to "accidentally" drop me into a long cutscene at some point.
I can't recall any specific instances of that happening, game's usually pretty good about not springing it on you out of nowhere.