Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

KennyMan666 posted:

Vert shmup with a Gradius-style powerup bar screams V-V (or, V-Five) to me. It also had an alternate version with more traditional shmup powerups, called Grind Stormer, which had a Mega Drive port.

Yup, that was BBP's guess too, and that seems to be the one indeed, cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

FishMcCool posted:

Yup, that was BBP's guess too, and that seems to be the one indeed, cheers!
...huh, apparently I missed that post and your reply to it entirely. Weird.

But V-V is good stuff. It and Batsugun are easily the best of Toaplan's shmups, in my opinion.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I think I can clear m.u.s.h.a. on normal with a little practice but I'm not sure I can clear robo aleste on easy with continues

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

I think I can clear m.u.s.h.a. on normal with a little practice but I'm not sure I can clear robo aleste on easy with continues

Robo Aleste is probably Compile's toughest game. Visibility is bad and it's one hit deaths, no powerdown mechanic that lets you take a few hits first. Not a lot of extends to offset that either like you see in their other games and it's almost an hour long. The soundtrack is pretty drat good though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

On a tangent, there's one arcade shmup I just can't remember the name of, but people here might know. It was vertical scrolling, classic spaceship/laser stuff, and had the Gradius-style mind-blowing-back-then risk vs reward powerup system where acquiring the best weapons required hoarding powerups without using them until you had Gradius I guess.

Watching this video, I wondered if you may have played Slap Fight?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Social Animal posted:

Robo Aleste is probably Compile's toughest game. Visibility is bad and it's one hit deaths, no powerdown mechanic that lets you take a few hits first. Not a lot of extends to offset that either like you see in their other games and it's almost an hour long. The soundtrack is pretty drat good though.

Heh. I legit own this game. When I bought it years ago (for a good sum) I booted it up and went "dang, this looks neat, wait I'm already out of lives, eh let's try again" "what the hell, this is stupid unfair!" "oh for gently caress's sake, I give up!"

Looks neat in the shelf I guess :shrug:

Should have bought M.U.S.H.A. instead. I had the chance back then and passed on it much to my regret.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Shooting those little upgrade ships to score coins like Mario rocks. It can make otherwise simple encounters frought if you're hurting for coins.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

whew, got the true ending in Zer Oranger, that was intense. Great game.

this was my third attempt, if I didn't get it this time I was going to put it down for a while lol

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

trying to get into steredenn but you feel pretty wimpy and weak in that game, what am i missing

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I bought Hellsinker on a whim and it seems good but my goodness does it have a lot of systems. The main shot has a charge shot, then there's a sub weapon that interacts with the main shot and charge shot, then there's your bomb mechanic, and all three are tied to different meters. And score is tracked three different ways. Very obtuse but I find myself thinking about it a lot, so, I guess that's cool.

Still practicing TH18. I need to figure out how to use this universal practice tool to work on the bosses and certain parts during the later levels. Really like this one though and will hopefully 1CC it on Easy before too long.

And I tried the Crimzon Clover demo. That game is :krad: Gonna have to buy that one too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I've always thought about Hellsinker as being a shmup that's also a character action game at the same time. It definitely pushes the same buttons to use your tools effectively in it as it does to play Bayonetta or Monster Hunter well. It is fun to really get to know a character as well; I feel like I'm a Fossil Maiden player in a way that, for example, I never felt I was a C-S player in Dodonpachi. If you gave me Deadliar instead I would have no idea where to begin.

Hellsinker also has the best music arrangement I've ever seen in the genre; the game is really good about matching music with what's going on onscreen.

apophenium posted:

Still practicing TH18. I need to figure out how to use this universal practice tool to work on the bosses and certain parts during the later levels. Really like this one though and will hopefully 1CC it on Easy before too long.

I never figured out how to launch any Touhou games with thprac, but if you launch the game first, then launch the practice tool, it will (hopefully) attach to the game automatically.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What do people itt think about Nova Drift as far as SHMUPs goes? It certainly shares some elements, but it's a different kind of game that makes me hesitant to recommend it as a SHMUP, but in that case, what kind of game is it?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Sorry Asteroid clones have never been SHMUPS. Velocity and momentum are forbidden.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Watching this video, I wondered if you may have played Slap Fight?

Oh wow, this is absolutely it! Thank you so much! Same devs as V-V hence the similarity, and obviously an earlier effort. It's clearly less refined graphically and doesn't look as frantic, but yeah, that absolutely look like what I seem to remember from that old arcade.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

apophenium posted:

I bought Hellsinker on a whim and it seems good but my goodness does it have a lot of systems. The main shot has a charge shot, then there's a sub weapon that interacts with the main shot and charge shot, then there's your bomb mechanic, and all three are tied to different meters. And score is tracked three different ways. Very obtuse but I find myself thinking about it a lot, so, I guess that's cool.

And I tried the Crimzon Clover demo. That game is :krad: Gonna have to buy that one too.

Wow this is a wild game. Stunning that this was made in 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-c4u2san8

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ok, despite what the screenshots make it look like, Crimzon Clover does indeed feel like an amazing entry point. It's not long (5 stages), there's a novice mode, infinite continues, and a practice mode to just work on a single section. In novice mode, I can reach the 4th stage boss on 1 credit after 3 runs, so it doesn't feel that far off from a first 1cc, although stage 5 is a lot wilder. And there's there's the non-noob mode, obviously, and plenty more modes for varying things.

I'm absolutely impressed at how crazy it looks while remaining quite manageable in the end. It definitely feels a lot more approachable than the 1941/42/43 of yore.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

musha 1cc'ed on normal. it's not easy, not too hard. pretty much the goldilocks of shmup. had to recover from some absolute hard fails too, so it's good enough that if you loose all your powerups you're not dead in the water

a few tips

set the speed to 6 and leave it there. leave the satellites at forward. try and stick with the laser mostly. figure out the powerup system, consecutive elemental weapons power up, ie.. two lightnings in a row or two missiles in a row will pump your weapon to level 1 (it starts at zero), but picking up a lighting followed by a missile will leave it at zero. the little glowy pod things that come four per canister power up your main shot and your satellites. remember that there's no timer, on a few of the bosses the best strategy is really to shoot them a few times, move away from their shot, rinse and repeat, play it safe and don't rush. if an enemy has a trick to it, it will only have one, you'll get surprised by it the first time but a couple of practice sessions and you should be good. there's a level select code, so you can practice specific levels and there's an easy setting. musha isn't exactly one of those games where you need to 100% anticipate where every enemy is coming in and be at the top of the screen waiting for them, rote memorization isn't necessary. you do, however, need to play aggressively and get close to the enemy you're firing at. there are enough back attacks that cruising at the bottom of the screen isn't a great idea, but it's generally safe to retreat to.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

I can almost make it to stage 3 without dying. 3 isn't bad, but 4 and especially 5 are nuts.
I feel like a lot of Cave games are like that, like levels 1-3 have a more gradual difficulty progression before huge jumps for both 4 and 5.

FishMcCool posted:

I'm absolutely impressed at how crazy it looks while remaining quite manageable in the end. It definitely feels a lot more approachable than the 1941/42/43 of yore.
I’d say this applies to modern shmups in general, which is why it’s unfortunate that some people are put off by how difficult they can look.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
1943 was solely responsible for me giving up shmups around 1998

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The first SHMUPs I had of my own were Commodore ones like Uridium and Bulldog which had you flying over massive ships that were easier for the machine to handle than moving space backgrounds or landscapes. Is there anything else with that same kind of feel, where you're this tiny, insignificant thing taking out huge dreadnoughts that make up the entire level?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

yes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Fighter

upl isn't getting enough love

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

After The War posted:

The first SHMUPs I had of my own were Commodore ones like Uridium and Bulldog which had you flying over massive ships that were easier for the machine to handle than moving space backgrounds or landscapes. Is there anything else with that same kind of feel, where you're this tiny, insignificant thing taking out huge dreadnoughts that make up the entire level?

try Warning Forever if you haven't yet. not quite the same but it's all bosses that get bigger and meaner based on your performance, adding parts and shots to counter your strats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIi8zWSvJ70

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 27, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, there was a Mega Drive port planned but never released. And there's no MiSTer FPGA arcade core either. Bummer.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

try Warning Forever if you haven't yet. not quite the same but it's all bosses that get bigger and meaner based on your performance, adding parts and shots to counter your strats

I remember playing the poo poo out of this back in the day. So satisfying destroying a giant ship piece by piece.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

That does look nifty, thanks!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, there was a Mega Drive port planned but never released. And there's no MiSTer FPGA arcade core either. Bummer.

uh you mean y'all aren't playing arcade pcbs on superguns?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

trip report: wanted to play vimana and slapfight and batrider and a few other games that never got ports or that would require hooking up the saturn to play.

mame is functional. there's some issue sourcing drivers, some encryption chips and other stuff are undumped. hardest part about setting up mameui is still setting the directories and waiting for it rescan all the roms. remember, mameui64 is what you want unless you want to be struggling with command line

the display stuff seems a lot better than it did the last time I messed with mame, screen tearing, blurring and stuff seems improved, like it actually looks/plays (though maybe not sounds) like a decent emulator a lot more than I remember it. roms can be had a la carte via archive, so you don't need to d/l 40 gigs of coinpusher and fruit machine roms to get the one thing you want to play. also the support goes all the way up to, like, deathsmiles 2, though later games generally aren't well emulated they are playable

probably worth the hour or two setup/rom search time effort if there's something that never got ported that you're curious about. there used to be a low latency fork, but it hasn't been updated in almost 10 years, also if you're playing with a usb controller on an lcd and the emulator's running on your 'puter, mame is probably not your primary source of input lag anyway

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm starting to get what's the weakness of TVRUHH, and it's the fact that it's a roguelike - I think the formula, in the end, works better with memorization. Having roguelike mechanics means the game can't be developed around any fixed pattern: I'm often forced to break the combo chain because I don't have what I need to keep firing on the enemy, especially with the 3rd ship.

Still a great game, got to 25% unlocks so far.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Agreed wrt to procgen shooters. I otherwise love roguelikes, from DCSS to Isaac. Traditional shmups are fully arranged minus certain RNG bullet patterns, but many offer surprisingly dynamic runs regardless. Bomb, special, and 1up management is a part of it.

Enemy spawn management plays a part too, especially in bullet hells. Allowing any given enemy to 1st enter then screen, then fire, can significantly alter the player's route through a level.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Saw the banner, I do love some shmups.

I've only every beaten Einhander on easy. I assume i just need to learn the late game patterns? the damned ship/water level always ruins my streaks because it's all cannon drops and grenade launchers.

Is there a PS2 controller that is more friendly to mobility issues? Every time I decide to play a game these days my hands regret it for weeks. I think I'm gripping the controller too hard, and the last controller I used was the switch pro, and it's relatively friendly. I'll have to start looking into accessibilty controllers I guess.

I was >< close to buying justice silversword back in the day, but I couldn't drop the $300 back then. lol now. I just need to get a wonderswan emu card, but they're rarely in-stock when I check.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Judgement Silversword has been ported to PC, and it's on sale: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/judgement-silversword-resurrection-

I use an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+. The Pro 2 has rear buttons if that would help. A lot of people say the 8bitdo M30 (Saturn style) is comfortable and it has a huge Dpad. You might look into an arcade stick or hitbox too.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 29, 2022

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vaporware posted:

Is there a PS2 controller that is more friendly to mobility issues? Every time I decide to play a game these days my hands regret it for weeks. I think I'm gripping the controller too hard, and the last controller I used was the switch pro, and it's relatively friendly. I'll have to start looking into accessibilty controllers I guess.

I was >< close to buying justice silversword back in the day, but I couldn't drop the $300 back then. lol now. I just need to get a wonderswan emu card, but they're rarely in-stock when I check.

I'm sure there's a large cross-pollination, but you may want to ask over in the Retrogame Thread, they're all about modern and wireless controllers over there.

None of that for me, though, I intend to die the way I lived: ensnared in a Gordian knot of black cables like some nerdier (if less atmospherically catastrophic) Thomas Midgley, Jr.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Judgement Silversword has been ported to PC, and it's on sale: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/judgement-silversword-resurrection-

I use an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+. The Pro 2 has rear buttons if that would help. A lot of people say the 8bitdo M30 (Saturn style) is comfortable and it has a huge Dpad. You might look into an arcade stick or hitbox too.

After The War posted:

I'm sure there's a large cross-pollination, but you may want to ask over in the Retrogame Thread, they're all about modern and wireless controllers over there.

None of that for me, though, I intend to die the way I lived: ensnared in a Gordian knot of black cables like some nerdier (if less atmospherically catastrophic) Thomas Midgley, Jr.

cool, I will look into those recs.
Hah, I actually use an old logitech wireless PS2 controller for my old slim, the logitech is wider and more comfortable than my dualshocks, but still hard on the joints. I'd totally be behind "play retro" if I physically could, but I need these hands for work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

After The War posted:

I'd say Eschatos has elements of that with some of the bosses. Otherwise it's really cool and fun and you should play it regardless.

The Voice of Labor posted:

uh you mean y'all aren't playing arcade pcbs on superguns?
Superguns? I play them on cabs :smugbert:

Vaporware posted:

I'd consider an arcade stick, I remember (temporarily) messing up my hands/wrists way back with the Trials games on 360 and could get around it by playing on a stick. The movements are different enough that it might help you too. And there's adapters for modern stuff to PS2 like this Brook one so you could try that Switch controller even, or a newer console stick if you go that route.

Also Judgement Silversword is in the Switch/PS4 Eschatos release!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
My TH18 practice just paid off! Got a 1CC on Easy. Could've used more practice on the last two stages, but hey, a clear's a clear, right? I guess I'll start practicing Normal... It's only a few more bullets to dodge, right?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
There's something in the water today: I 1cc'd Crimzon Clover on novice, original mode this afternoon, and then did the same for boost mode just now. Got close on arrange mode original but died to the tfb's final form. All done with the type-z ship, will try doing the same later with a type-c.

The game looks much better on my Switch then it does on my PC for some reason, and my runs are better, too, even though I prefer using a keyboard. Are there big changes under the hood between World Explosion and World Ignition of something? Or is it just that the Switch's tiny screen provides better oversight?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Well done! WE does have several improvements over WI. Ignition was discontinued after Explosion released: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1718160/Crimzon_Clover_World_EXplosion/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

why are you making me play a game called vulvehicle, astroport?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Died to the EX boss in Crimzon Clover (Novice Original). I can almost touch it. The Type III ship is good stuff. I really have to work on my bomb gauge hoarding issue though, lost a good few silly lives on the way in situations where I could easily have cleared the screen but went "ah, no need, sure I can do this", resulting in no more lives on reaching stage 5 boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

Died to the EX boss in Crimzon Clover (Novice Original). I can almost touch it. The Type III ship is good stuff. I really have to work on my bomb gauge hoarding issue though, lost a good few silly lives on the way in situations where I could easily have cleared the screen but went "ah, no need, sure I can do this", resulting in no more lives on reaching stage 5 boss.

For me, playing on boostmode for a bit with no boost helped me lose the fear of using bombs. Had to use a ton of them thus morning to clear it with the type III, but you're right: that ship slaps.