Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

someone decided there should be some doug firs on campus, and i found out 21 years after i moved away from where they come from. unfortunately, it looks like the ipone se 2.0 did not agree that this picture was as pretty as i remembered it being, but whatever, these are my favorite seed cone by far.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

evergreens are the best. pretty all year and drop fun crunchy cones

other trees are only pretty when they're doing the seasonal die off. garbage

possible point of disagreement: sycamores are real pretty with leaves, with the big green bits contrasting with the mottled to smooth bright trunks. i might make a case for birches, too. but i do agree that conifers are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

all trees are good + pretty

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
new rokinon 35mm fe lens!

straight outta cam

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice mate

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

all trees are good + pretty

well my mind is changed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a love hate relationship with those trees that drop leaves marsupials or whatever it is. in winter I hate them they are ugly but in summer they are my friend

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i've been VERY slowly chipping away at the pictures i took last weekend because i've been also trying to actually remember to practice bass and there's only so much room in my day for artistic expression i guess :smith:

but i did just pack my bag for tomorrow with my camera and 14, 21, 43, and 77 lenses and a 25mm extension tube.

i'm thinking about getting a third flash, too, for getting back around to painting with light. three off-camera flashes for wireless control with my k-3's built-in flash would give me a lot of options... and it would also serve to give me wireless control when-ifn i get a k-1, which don't have the built-in flash. i kinda miss playing with flashes... but ever since it cost me half a replacement value to get one fixed after it fell out of my backpack, i've been a little shy of taking them out. at least the current af540fgz ii is weather sealed, and if i found a used af360fgz ii for decent money, it would have that advantage too, plus not be a different brightness, requiring me to rethink how i point poo poo at other poo poo.

i had a minute earlier where i thought about ordering an af200fg, which don't have the zoom and lack the tilt function, because i have the off-camera cable and shoe adapters, and that would be a way more portable option for putting light on macro shots than this other bullshit. someday i'll try to post a picture of what it takes to make coolass pictures like my monotropes.

k20d + da 16-45 + at least one AF360FGZ flash

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

also, i made inapproprate indoor nighttime use of my 300mm and futzed with an iphone workflow using an sd card adapter and my jpeg card:

meowsers

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MBSPOS (My Bookshelf is a Piece of poo poo)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I hope you mastered the art of manliness

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

One of the things you can do with a pen knife is a bris

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PokeJoe posted:

I hope you mastered the art of manliness

I wish I could master regexes more, frankly.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nobody has mastered regexes. you just use a website that tells you if you're right first

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i tried reading that godel book in college and i’m clearly too dumb to understand its mystical ways

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i tried reading that godel book in college and i’m clearly too dumb to understand its mystical ways

I understand roughly 10% of it. I should give it another try now that I know calculus a little better.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i've never even heard of it, but guessing by godel, escher and bach i bet it's about fractals

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i found another crew partying down, this time on some allium

also, there were blackberry lily seed pods to abuse maximum aperture on

since my 43mm lens is the star of this post, one of the things I've always enjoyed doing with it is taking a landscape picture wide open with some object of interest as the focal point. here, it was the sphere off in the distance (more easily evident in the linked size).

you end up getting a pretty dreamy effect out of it, though i am not super happy with how this specific frame turned out. i think it's a combination of the kinda boring scenery being a bad choice for this effect, the weird-to-me time of day, and the sun's position really taxing the 1997-era coatings.

someday though i'll take my film camera out with this lens and really roll around in that f1.9, and that'll be what convinces me to save up for full-frame.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Stringent posted:

i've never even heard of it, but guessing by godel, escher and bach i bet it's about fractals

It's really probably one of, if not the, most impossible books to describe. The best way I can describe it is about incompleteness and how no fully logical system can describe itself completely.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s it called

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

glorious

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i tried to read the g.e.b. book but i found the author so insufferable that i didn't even get to the meat of the book

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Neito posted:

It's really probably one of, if not the, most impossible books to describe. The best way I can describe it is about incompleteness and how no fully logical system can describe itself completely.

i totally get that, not that i've read it, but i've played and listened to a few bach pieces. bach for me is always like tapping into infinity and then just arbitrarily cut off.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nurrwick posted:

i found another crew partying down, this time on some allium

also, there were blackberry lily seed pods to abuse maximum aperture on

since my 43mm lens is the star of this post, one of the things I've always enjoyed doing with it is taking a landscape picture wide open with some object of interest as the focal point. here, it was the sphere off in the distance (more easily evident in the linked size).

you end up getting a pretty dreamy effect out of it, though i am not super happy with how this specific frame turned out. i think it's a combination of the kinda boring scenery being a bad choice for this effect, the weird-to-me time of day, and the sun's position really taxing the 1997-era coatings.

someday though i'll take my film camera out with this lens and really roll around in that f1.9, and that'll be what convinces me to save up for full-frame.

pretty nice! i wonder if that giant orb off in the distance might make an interesting subject?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i took this picture a few years ago at random while i was walking through the woods and it has always been a personal favorite of mine

i'm not really sure why i like it so much, but to me it really captures the feeling of hiking in the woods in Austin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
excellent my man. have you thought about getting it printed?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i took this hop pic I like but it's too dark

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

this has excellent mood

Beeftweeter posted:

pretty nice! i wonder if that giant orb off in the distance might make an interesting subject?

not a whole lot else going on this weekend, so :orb:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

i took this hop pic I like but it's too dark

that’s a challenging exposure for sure

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

i took this picture a few years ago at random while i was walking through the woods and it has always been a personal favorite of mine

i'm not really sure why i like it so much, but to me it really captures the feeling of hiking in the woods in Austin

going to filter some of that water and get in the tent. goodnight

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how would you define art in the context of photography

what makes some photography art?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

very carefully

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a photo is art if i say it is. post a photo and ill tell you if its art or not

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

seems p simple

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

art is about the intent of the artist which is why commercial and editorial photography are considered different things even though the process is identical

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to predict the future: this is the traditional echi "ask a basic question without doing the most cursory look at decades of smart people's existing thoughts about the topic, state a bad opinion then play dumb" thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have my own ideas on it but I respect the opinions of people around here and was curious

also please don’t overestimate me. sometimes I am actually dumb and naive, I don’t need to play it up

☹️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

a photo is art if i say it is. post a photo and ill tell you if its art or not

idk lol. i’m pretty sensitive and got given some poo poo recently by someone on the forums so doubt I’ll be sharing anything again, at least for a while. lol what a weak rear end loser I turned out to be :smugmrgw:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its all art, even the commercial stuff. the intent itself doesnt matter, so long as you have intent even if you arent sure what it is. taking a picture just cause you think it looks cool? thats a art. Taking a picture cause it makes u feel a way? thats a art. taking a picture cause you want to learn how to take pictures better? thats a art

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks mate

to me, if it makes you feel anything, it’s art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nurrwick posted:

this has excellent mood

not a whole lot else going on this weekend, so :orb:

very nice orb pics. mrs beeftweeter made this thing out of crap we had laying around and i was like "ORB??" nggghf. orb: