Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
A local place had Larceny barrel picks that were 8 years old for like $25+tax, seemed like a deal so I grabbed one. I like it but it's a completely different flavor profile than I'm used to, like the nose/taste have a noticeable apple note and then there's a kind of prickly spiciness at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sean10mm posted:

A local place had Larceny barrel picks that were 8 years old for like $25+tax, seemed like a deal so I grabbed one. I like it but it's a completely different flavor profile than I'm used to, like the nose/taste have a noticeable apple note and then there's a kind of prickly spiciness at the end.

Drink a couple to make room for air in the bottle and then leave it for two weeks or so, it'll probably improve after oxidizing a bit.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Anyone had Orchard House from Compass Box? I enjoy this type of spirits at time, and it's on sale for sub $40.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paul Proteus posted:

Anyone had Orchard House from Compass Box? I enjoy this type of spirits at time, and it's on sale for sub $40.

It's fantastic. Fresh and fruity with a hint of smoke. Great value.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Paul Proteus posted:

Totally worth it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

High West Double Rye was on clearance so I picked up a bottle for $42.50 CAD. Opinions seem to be mixed about it online, as their shift to in-house resulted in differences from the original, but I’m looking forward to trying it out!

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I wanted to see how well Rare Breed held up to some harder to find bourbons so tonight I did a blind taste test with:

Blanton's
Eagle Rare
EH Taylor Single Barrel
EH Taylor Four Grain
Michter's 10
Weller 12
William Larue Weller
Booker's Granny's Batch
Little Book
Rare Breed

Rare Breed tied with WLW for my #1 spot and was in my companions' top 2 as well. Four Grain was my #2 and Little Book was #3, which surprised me because I've ranked Jim Beam stuff lower than most BT labels in previous blind tests. Blanton's was my least favorite, and was the same for the guy who was sure that Blanton's was going to be his #1.

asciidic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 29, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up some Suntory Hibiki last week. I'm normally a bourbon guy and I drink it neat. How do you recommend I enjoy this whisky?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Neat. Hibiki is definitely a sipper (even if you have the NAS).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Maybe give it a try in a highball as well, but take care to add the right ratio of soda. Don’t just top off the glass.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a bottle of JP Wiser Old Fashioned, which is a pre made cocktail, and it is way better than I expected it to be. It seems to have pretty favourable reviews online too. I think I like it because I never get the orange right when I make my own and this stuff has it simply added.

On a different note, a while back someone asked if there was a more upscale version of Angostura and I’m wondering the same thing now. Any recommendations?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
What do you mean “get the orange right”? If you’re making a muddled-fruit-style OF and you haven’t tried the original just-bitters-and-sugar style, do that. In a glass, do a couple dashes ango and a tsp or so of simple syrup per oz of whiskey, add a big rock, stir 10 times (just to mix, it’ll chill and dilute more as you drink), twist an orange peel over the top.

Angostura is the best-known example of an “aromatic bitters” or an “old fashioned bitters”, most other bitters brands also make one in that category. I wouldn’t say any of them are better, though, just different. Try whichever ones are available to you and see which you like. Good bitters companies: Bittermens, Bitter Truth, Scrappy’s, Bittercube, definitely others; don’t get Fee’s).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I could never get enough orange notes to detect- misting them wasn’t enough for me to smell them while drinking

I probably should have jyst found a good orange bitters

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A dash of orange bitters is a must in a classic old fashioned in my opinion. Another nice way to bump up the orange is to garnish with a dehydrated orange disc. Less aromatic than a fresh peel, but shelf stable and less likely to waste a whole orange for, plus you can eat is as a little treat. Super easy to make a bunch in the oven, and as a bonus, they look great strung up on a Christmas tree!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Guess who makes a pretty decent orange bitters? Angostura.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Maybe I just got a bad botte, but I bought some Woodford Reserve orange bitters a while back and they were nasty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The OBSF store pick is so much better than the ECBP store pick

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
A couple of weeks ago we toured the Sazerac House in New Orleans, and they were selling bottles of pre-mixed Manhattans that were surprisingly good. I've drank about half the bottle so far.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Josh Lyman posted:

The OBSF store pick is so much better than the ECBP store pick

Whad up fellow atl bourboner. Which greens had the 4roses?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Veskit posted:

Whad up fellow atl bourboner. Which greens had the 4roses?
I used to live in Atlanta, now In DC. I’m visiting for Dragoncon. The Four Roses was at Buford Highway.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Favorite Four Roses recipe? Mine is OESO, one of the harder to find ones. :(

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mine is barrel strength, whatever mash bill, but I can never find it in Michigan
:negative:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mine is Wild Turkey Rare Breed :q:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My warehouse guy found this pair amongst 500 or so mats last month, said he "had plans" for them. Rolled in at the end of the shift yesterday to show off the work. Impressive.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How are Suntory Old/Reserve/Royale? I am able to get them inexpensively (close to Japan prices) and I'm too poor to even spring for a Hibiki NAS. I tried Red and it's not bad, belongs more in a highball though. I heard Old was important to the Japanese whisky industry, so I'm pretty curious.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

With any of those you're primarily getting (Japanese) grain whisky rather than malt, but Reserve is my preference of the bunch. Also an entirely different experience from any Hibiki.
Red contains "grain spirits" that aren't exactly whisky, so tread lightly.
If you can get it at the Japan price, sure, get Old too just for a piece of history. It had like 86% market share at its peak in the 80s in Japan.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lily Catts posted:

How are Suntory Old/Reserve/Royale? I am able to get them inexpensively (close to Japan prices) and I'm too poor to even spring for a Hibiki NAS. I tried Red and it's not bad, belongs more in a highball though. I heard Old was important to the Japanese whisky industry, so I'm pretty curious.

I've had this - Suntory Toki - https://whisky.suntory.com/en/na/products/toki - and I love it. I'm really a novice to all of this, but I pour this over 3 ice cubes and enjoy. Well worth the gamble of $30-ish. Now, I can't pick out any of the notes/flavors indicated here, but as someone who's never had a taste for this sort of thing, I was always curious about Japanese whiskey, and tried out a bottle to have with family on a beach vacation.

I am really super new to all of this, so here are the other few things I've had:

William Wolf Pecan Bourbon - https://thinklikeawolf.com/whiskies/pecan/ - A store I went to had a tasting, and I liked this, surprisingly. The person promoting it admitted it was a 'baby's first brown liquor'-type thing. I ended up getting a few bottles as gifts, and everyone really liked it.

VHW Port Cask - https://vadistillery.com/virginia-highland-whisky/port-cask - This was available as a sampler (the little airline-size bottles), so I figured a local whiskey was worth a shot. It wasn't bad, but after having tried a few other things, I can't recall this very well - but I liked it well enough neat.

1776 Rye - https://jamesepepper.com/rye-whiskey-100-proof/ - I tried this over ice at first, which was a mistake. It was quickly watered down, and I found this was much better enjoyed neat. With ice, it quickly became bland and unlikeable; neat, super smooth and I found myself having a little extra. It does seem a little... syrupy? But I didn't mind.

Edit: Forgot this one:

Starlight Blackberry Whiskey - https://www.huberwinery.com/product/blackberry-whiskey/ - A family member from Indiana brought this, and I found it to be great for cocktails, but it's not available on the east coast.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 12, 2022

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Red posted:

Starlight Blackberry Whiskey - https://www.huberwinery.com/product/blackberry-whiskey/ - A family member from Indiana brought this, and I found it to be great for cocktails, but it's not available on the east coast.

From my usual stores, I know Starlight is available in MA, RI, and CT and from my dad I know it's also in MD.

I haven't had the blackberry whiskey but their Straight Bourbon and Ryes (especially single barrels) as well as their various barrel finished Bourbons and Ryes are phenomenal - and I have like 8 bottles from them now (with 2 duplicates of ones that I was extra thrilled with)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

zmcnulty posted:

With any of those you're primarily getting (Japanese) grain whisky rather than malt, but Reserve is my preference of the bunch. Also an entirely different experience from any Hibiki.
Red contains "grain spirits" that aren't exactly whisky, so tread lightly.
If you can get it at the Japan price, sure, get Old too just for a piece of history. It had like 86% market share at its peak in the 80s in Japan.

oh I thought so. I read something about a new law being passed and now stuff like Nikka From the Barrel isn't technically Japanese whisky anymore. Not that it super duper matters to me. I try everything neat first then play around with ice, water, and I do like highballs.

Shame the general consensus is that the good stuff is priced way too high for its own good when there are comparable, affordable offerings.

I bought a pair of cheap tilted glasses because I'm a sucker for the stuff, then almost immediately regretted it as I read about crystal glasses. So, what glass do you guys use for whisky?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lily Catts posted:

oh I thought so. I read something about a new law being passed and now stuff like Nikka From the Barrel isn't technically Japanese whisky anymore. Not that it super duper matters to me.

It's not a law, more of a set of rules that some (major) parts of the Japanese whisky industry have drawn up and are voluntarily following.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

I bought a pair of cheap tilted glasses because I'm a sucker for the stuff, then almost immediately regretted it as I read about crystal glasses. So, what glass do you guys use for whisky?

I thought leaded crystal glasses were fine because the amount of time liquor typically spends in them before you consume it is pretty short, and that the threat of leeching was more towards crystal decanters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I thought leaded crystal glasses were fine because the amount of time liquor typically spends in them before you consume it is pretty short, and that the threat of leeching was more towards crystal decanters.

If you drink it in less than an hour you'll probably be okay.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Also maybe check that it is actually leaded crystal first

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

From my usual stores, I know Starlight is available in MA, RI, and CT and from my dad I know it's also in MD.

I haven't had the blackberry whiskey but their Straight Bourbon and Ryes (especially single barrels) as well as their various barrel finished Bourbons and Ryes are phenomenal - and I have like 8 bottles from them now (with 2 duplicates of ones that I was extra thrilled with)

Figures. Virginia seems really restricted on what they sell that I've had to drive over state lines to some random store to find one dumb thing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got Glencairn-style snifter glasses too (lead-free crystal) for $6, will report.

is there any significant difference between leaded and lead-free crystal?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, lead-free crystal is just glass.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, lead-free crystal is just glass.

In that sense leaded crystal is also just glass.

Leaded crystal probably looks shinier. That was probably the only reason why it was ever made in the first place.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you drink it in less than an hour you'll probably be okay.

Look, I'm not going to not use my Blade Runner old fashioned glass just because there's a chance of heavy metal ingestion.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

gwrtheyrn posted:

In that sense leaded crystal is also just glass.

Leaded crystal probably looks shinier. That was probably the only reason why it was ever made in the first place.

No, I mean to say that by definition crystal must have lead. It’s not crystal if it doesn’t have lead. It’s just a finished glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I ignore most of my nice glasses and drink out of Mason jars 95% of the time