Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I forget, was there any hype leading up to windows 11? I remember a lot of buzz before 8 and 10 but 11 just showed up one day and I haven’t had the energy to care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

I forget, was there any hype leading up to windows 11? I remember a lot of buzz before 8 and 10 but 11 just showed up one day and I haven’t had the energy to care

mostly a lot of lols even outside yospos iirc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 11 is like windows 8 where they hosed up the start menu so everyone avoids it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Silver Alicorn posted:

apparently they just decided to update everyone to 11 anyway

i posted about this in cjs but my desktop is stuck in some sort of purgatory because it doesn't have a TPM v2. it's on a version of 10 that's apparently outside the RTM branch for 10 but inside the branch they use for 11, which i can't update to

usually i just use linux on there. it's easier :psypop:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Silver Alicorn posted:

tbh i have no idea if my work machines run 10 or 11

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think it was like
1) They announced windows 11 and everyone was like "wtf? wasn't windows 10 supposed to be evergreen?"
2) Then there was a period where there actually might have been a little bit of hype around it?
3) Then they announced the system requirements and everyone was like "gently caress you microsoft"
4) Then it came out and people were like "hmm it just seems to be strictly slightly worse than windows 10"

Beeftweeter posted:

apparently they just decided to update everyone to 11 anyway

i posted about this in cjs but my desktop is stuck in some sort of purgatory because it doesn't have a TPM v2. it's on a version of 10 that's apparently outside the RTM branch for 10 but inside the branch they use for 11, which i can't update to

usually i just use linux on there. it's easier :psypop:
Wasn't that just an accident where they messed up which computers they released the updater to? Or did they change their mind again more recently?

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 19, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mystes posted:

Wasn't that just an accident where they messed up which computers they released the updater to? Or did they change their mind again more recently?

i'm not sure honestly, i'd love to figure out a way to update it without blasting away everything on a 2 TB ssd

as far as i can tell it just doesn't find any updates other than the rtm 11 updater. for reference it's on 10.0.21390.2025

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i have no idea if my work machines run 10 or 11

almost definitely 10, 11 has garbage default UI you'd most certainly notice, you'd probably wonder who swapped your computer for a lovely chromebook when you weren't looking

e:

other things that suck about windows 11

- DPI, multi-monitor and HDR glitches (maybe slightly better recently but still really bad, including rare outright system freezes when switching monitors, this is on a high-end monitor and a 3070ti with latest drivers and top-end open-air cooling)
- actually one more time, really garbage GUI with a scant few exceptions (the latest control panel redesign is okay as are the new tray icon UIs)
- removal of most full-screen tablet support features (my travel laptop is a surface book, owned and all that)
- some VR issues

good things

- support for the latest intel processors
- task manager is a bit more reliable when the system goes unresponsive
- WSA is cool for a moment before you start hating the constant updates of android apps and the gaping security holes that come with them
- some system memory use optimisation

that's it

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 19, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Private Speech posted:

- DPI, multi-monitor and HDR glitches (maybe slightly better recently but still really bad, including rare outright system freezes when switching monitors, this is on a high-end monitor and a 3070ti with latest drivers and top-end open-air cooling)
- actually one more time, really garbage GUI with a scant few exceptions (the latest control panel redesign is okay as are the new tray icon UIs)

this is very much still the case at least in my setup.

to add to this: wslg and some other wsl updates are great, to a point where if you care about that it might still be worthwhile to accept other random regressions.

none of the issues are debilitating, just all entirely unforced and lolworthy.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to add to this: wslg and some other wsl updates are great, to a point where if you care about that it might still be worthwhile to accept other random regressions.

I thought that was in Windows 10 as well, if not then yeah that's pretty good too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah i really like wsl2 and wslg, but honestly the other broken poo poo just drove me to use linux entirely. wine is good enough these days that it's actually nbd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I thought that was in Windows 10 as well, if not then yeah that's pretty good too

unless something has changed those things are indeed (entirely artificially to let the kindergarteners designing the garbage new start menu off the hook, lol) 11-only

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i still think its kinda funny the only way to run a 16-bit windows app on there is via wine and wsl2 lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Private Speech posted:

almost definitely 10, 11 has garbage default UI you'd most certainly notice, you'd probably wonder who swapped your computer for a lovely chromebook when you weren't looking

windows has always looked janky to me

i basically only use it to run wsl, you could absolutely switch out ui elements and i wouldnt notice

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what benefits does windows 11 bring to me, as a gamer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

As a gamer you will doubtless be more excited about the inclusive language checking now included in Office 365

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Silver Alicorn posted:

DirectStorage allegedly is better on Windows 11? It's also in Windows 10 but apparently is kneecapped somewhat by the legacy I/O stack being present.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Carthag Tuek posted:

windows has always looked janky to me

i basically only use it to run wsl, you could absolutely switch out ui elements and i wouldnt notice

it's like, the entire task bar (now looking like a cheap macos knockoff by default), right-click menus and the start menu, plus all windows have very round corners

it really is extremely obvious

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think everyone was pissed off because 10 is totally fine and no one wanted new windows

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

an excuse to upgrade your perfectly fine, totally performant pre-eighth gen system :homebrew:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

supports pee and e cores better if you’re on intel

mystes
May 31, 2006

are pee cores stored in the ball grid array?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

akadajet posted:

supports pee and e cores better if you’re on intel

Luckily Win10 is perfect for god's own CPU Intel® Core™ i5-12400 Processor

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Silver Alicorn posted:

if they hadn't introduced win11 then they wouldn't eventually be able to EOL win10 and make countless billions of extra dollars from forced upgrades

oh wait you asked what benefits does it bring to *you*

nevermind

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The managed to increase performance of the start menu search by -300%!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ok, so *now* microsoft has updated windows 11 such that my multimonitor setup does no longer confuses it (used to appear to randomly confuse two monitors in various ways), bringing windows 11 to the point of "not significantly worse than 10"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ok, so *now* microsoft has updated windows 11 such that my multimonitor setup does no longer confuses it (used to appear to randomly confuse two monitors in various ways), bringing windows 11 to the point of "not significantly worse than 10"

they've been trying to do this for a while, I'm reserving judgement until I'm certain mine works well

that said whatever they did appears to have fixed VR too

not sure if HDR issues (primarily if you mix HDR and non-HDR displays) will be ironed out too or not

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Private Speech posted:

they've been trying to do this for a while, I'm reserving judgement until I'm certain mine works well

that said whatever they did appears to have fixed VR too

not sure if HDR issues (primarily if you mix HDR and non-HDR displays) will be ironed out too or not

things looking good in that i didn't read that they fixed it or anything, i just turned on my computer today after some time away and found it now behaved correctly in scenarios that previously reliably failed.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

how's the new tiling UI, that is about the only reason I would upgrade

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cowboy beepboop posted:

how's the new tiling UI, that is about the only reason I would upgrade

you'll want fancyzones anyway, so no need to upgrade.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

you'll want fancyzones anyway, so no need to upgrade.

will there ever be?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

will there ever be?

probably, if you have a 12th gen intel processor or use wsl are the reasons today, but microsoft will probably keep piling up that sort of thing.

windows 11 is pathetic primarily in how unforced an error it was, they just broke a bunch of stuff for no good reason (presumably most of it classic programmer "maintaining this is hard and boring, lets rewrite it from the ground up and it will surely not turn out just as complex or be a qa nightmare for a decade"). but it is a mostly comedic tragedy, it is not broken in such a way to be very painful to live with.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

will there ever be?

the improvements to wsl vs. 10 are actually really neat

otherwise, nah, just use linux and wine, which is basically doing the same thing anyway?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is wsl

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i mean don't answer that if I ever care I'll just look it up myself but it can't be that important or fun

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

echinopsis posted:

what the gently caress is wsl

it stands for "wanna switch? lmao"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i mean don't answer that if I ever care I'll just look it up myself but it can't be that important or fun

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/wsl/about

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wsl is stunning new technology for running linux while remaining cool :cool:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wsl is for when your job is idiots who only have windoze machines and you want to run real programs for cool dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wsl is nerdy as all hell but its neat and somewhat handy