Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

you can right click -> open in new tab on lexisnexis, but if you middle click it will just open the exact same page with the link you wanted to open from and center in the new tab.

lol I remember this. lexis made me want to die

the new interface seemed significantly less poo poo than the older interface tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

do guys all work for car dealerships or something

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

they're obviously talking about where toyota processes its premium vespene gas and minerals.

not a data broker or anything.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

muuuum i don't want to go to the lexus nexus i want to go to the ford board and the purgeot bird show

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i wonder if there's a dealership called the Lexus Nexus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

update: doesnt seem to be

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I wonder if brands have rules against making up cutesy names for franchises

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

honestly REALLY surprised there's not an owners group or web forum or something called that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

rotor posted:

honestly REALLY surprised there's not an owners group or web forum or something called that

lol i wonder why someone might want to avoid getting sued by lexis

e: well apparently it's actually "RELX" so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

I wonder if brands have rules against making up cutesy names for franchises

forded and shidded

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

forded and shidded

lol. “Come on down to Shid Ford for great deals on F-150”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

forded and shidded

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

you can intercept keyboard events in javascript the same way you can intercept mouse events, so they just intercept f12 and have it do nothing the same way as those anti-right click scripts work. you can always get to it from the browser tools menu tho. the more rear end in a top hat thing to do is throw a loop on the page that calls "debugger" so when you open dev tools it breaks and you have to disable debugging.

jesus WEP posted:

i’ve seen a few sites overriding middle click to open link in same tab and it makes me so mad every time

4lokos basilisk posted:

websites that do some instant redirect fuckery so you have to be really fast on the back button, and also sites that totally wipe out history somehow

Mr. Nice! posted:

you can right click -> open in new tab on lexisnexis, but if you middle click it will just open the exact same page with the link you wanted to open from and center in the new tab.

the managers of the developers responsible for these behaviors should be put in prison

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
input events like those shouldnt be visible to javascript.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

chaosbreather posted:

i’ve been a lawyer in suits vs dealerships representing former salespeople and car owners. i’ve seen the books. i know exactly how they cook em.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

is it wrapped in foil on the engine block?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

echinopsis posted:

forded and shidded

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shaggar posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sniep posted:

lexisnexis has to be a horrible product to support because oyu have so many people who barely tangentially know how to use a computer, and still prefer wordperfect, and are trying to accommodate their needs instead of anything reasonable

sounds like a plain html no javascript use case to me

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

what i find more annoying is sites that capture the in page search key to do a site wide search

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

duz posted:

what i find more annoying is sites that capture the in page search key to do a site wide search

confluence pisses me off for this kind of thing so bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

some web devs want to intercept all keyboard events. i know of at least one guy who wanted to intercept pressing escape so he could finish his web-based emacs clone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those kinds of people should be in institutions

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

some web devs want to intercept all keyboard events. i know of at least one guy who wanted to intercept pressing escape so he could finish his web-based emacs clone

gently caress that

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shaggar posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

carry on then posted:

i know of at least one guy who wanted to intercept pressing escape so he could finish his web-based emacs clone

Shaggar posted:

All I wanted was an ESC Key

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NoneMoreNegative posted:

All I wanted was an ESC Key

MOM! I'M NOT ON GNU/LINUX!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

mit is an institution.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

i hate him

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

mit is an institution.

at least now they can close the doors to keep the inmates inside since stallman isn't there anymore

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The_Franz posted:

at least now they can close the doors to keep the inmates inside since stallman isn't there anymore

IDK at least some of them know how to pick locks and escape through the steam tunnels.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
put plants and showers at every exit so none of them try to escape

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

it is very stupid that the most important, singularly universal ui platform doesn't let you use all the buttons. i really think web browsers need more of a split between 'web site' and 'web app'.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

chaosbreather posted:

it is very stupid that the most important, singularly universal ui platform doesn't let you use all the buttons. i really think web browsers need more of a split between 'web site' and 'web app'.

Web... 4.0???

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

it should either be static geocities pages where no javascript is allowed or a fully native user experience that looks and feels like any other application. all web browsers should be called things like "Throbbing Dicks and Clits" and "Murdering People Richer Than You Isn't A Crime" to preclude all commercial applications

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i wonder how many people are still on Network Solutions

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol i clicked the other thread before this one and was really confused for like half a sec

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

all web browsers should be called things like "Throbbing Dicks and Clits" and "Murdering People Richer Than You Isn't A Crime" to preclude all commercial applications

but they already replace the name in the taskbar with the page title for whatever site youre on :confused:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

holy poo poo i remember taskbar, man that was weird poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

chaosbreather posted:

it should either be static geocities pages where no javascript is allowed or a fully native user experience that looks and feels like any other application. all web browsers should be called things like "Throbbing Dicks and Clits" and "Murdering People Richer Than You Isn't A Crime" to preclude all commercial applications

Funny tech thing that I remember (and have remembered before so sorry for reusing content): The web was supposed to be for sharing scientific information, now it is literally everything but that. You can find pages that are using WebGl to implement a path traced rendering engine, banking and commerce sites, Jira pages taking up several GB of memory, but scientific papers are still just PDFs.