Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

He’s a Pixel fanboy who’s been honest with his problems about the Pixel 6 line, at least. He isn’t afraid to be negative, he just genuinely doesn’t seem to have many gripes about recent iPhones or Samsung phones.

Honestly, reviewing a device that sells a trillion units a year and is therefore as polished and refined as it can possibly be, by the largest companies on the planet, honestly must be tough.

Like what is there really to say about the new iphone? Its faster than the last one :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are phone youtubers who just don’t review new iPhones any more because what is there to say about them at this point. While Android at least have the folding phones to coo over that don’t start breaking until weeks after the review period is done.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly, reviewing a device that sells a trillion units a year and is therefore as polished and refined as it can possibly be, by the largest companies on the planet, honestly must be tough.

Like what is there really to say about the new iphone? Its faster than the last one :shrug:

Yeah, and his refrain the past couple years on every flagship is just that. Technically faster, here’s a small size difference (maybe), what else.

MKBHD has even talked about how we might be at “peak smartphone” and how the innovation year over year has stagnated. Every one of his reviews contain something like “you know what to expect here,” because if you keep up with this poo poo, you do know what to expect year over year.

I’m not sure what he could be doing to satisfy shill accusations short of pulling his hair out and gnashing his teeth that cell phone makers haven’t put a headphone jack back on their flagships? Like, what do people want.

Also there’s a difference between product critiques, product reviews and product shilling, but lots of people seem to think if you aren’t doing the first with deep dives on negatives then you are automatically doing the last, which uh, isn’t true by default. These days a “review” is just an overview and letting the audience come to their own conclusions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Soul Glo posted:

These days a “review” is just an overview and letting the audience come to their own conclusions.

What I'm not terribly happy on MKBHD "reviews" is that there are lot of lying by omission. His AirPods Max video speak wonders about the microphones for noise cancellation and such while forgetting to tell that you will sound like talking in a bathtub in any call.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Soul Glo posted:

MKBHD has even talked about how we might be at “peak smartphone” and how the innovation year over year has stagnated. Every one of his reviews contain something like “you know what to expect here,” because if you keep up with this poo poo, you do know what to expect year over year.

I’m not sure what he could be doing to satisfy shill accusations short of pulling his hair out and gnashing his teeth that cell phone makers haven’t put a headphone jack back on their flagships? Like, what do people want.

Review more phones that are under $500? His 2021 "best value" award was a $600 Pixel 6, which is dumb as gently caress. IMO looking at nothing but flagships is kinda being an industry shill.

His sole points of comparison are other flagship phones, so yeah the differences in features are relatively minor. A good reviewer would have a couple cheap phones that are stand-outs in some particular area (gaming, photos/video, etc). And so when discussing a feature set you'd have some wider reference points, and some cheaper alternatives for people that don't need a flagship phone but do want a phone that's excellent at something in particular.

Having zero reference to anything under $500 is telling people that they should spend close to a thousand dollars on a phone, which is what the industry would like them to do. That's why it's kinda shilling.

(Not that MKBHD is the only person doing this by a long shot. Can't remember the last time I saw Ars Technica review a cheap laptop, and their Cars section has been really gross at catering exclusively to the BMW market. Why would you make content about things made for poor people? That means you'll have lots of poor people in your audience. Your ads metrics will be full of poors!)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MKBHD is 100% pure shill. In the shilling side, he’s significantly worse than Linus is, just better at hiding it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's been quite a while I watched anything from MKBHD. In regards to Apple, most of it is in the software, and last I remember, if there's been something really annoying or typically Apple obstructive, any criticism he had manifested in tapdancing around the issue trying the hardest to avoid pointing it out directly. The old issue of not making GBS threads where you eat, if you want to keep getting preview devices ahead of release.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
dude's a tech enthusiast, he's welcome to just be someone excited about technology without wanting to look at the nastier underside of things

his interviews with people like elon aren't exactly hardhitting journalism. but someone like john gruber isn't exactly the most unbiased person for all things apple either

no one really wants to be in the business of tech review journalism, because it's usually a horrible seo/quota grind interspersed with death threats from demented fanboys

i don't think mkbhd dips into those awful communities the way jay and linus often do

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

yes, so, in summary, a shill

nobody's calling for him to be cancelled or burned at the stake, we're just saying he's not a very good reviewer

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
We need a GamersNexus of apple products

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

buglord posted:

I'll do it: just don't buy them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

I'll do it: just don't buy them.

WASTE OF SAND

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K5Gqp1cEcM waste of everything

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

buglord posted:

Weirdly, that's the reason LTT launched their Mac Address channel with its own host. Linus identified that there was a gap in the market of Apple device coverage for someone who wasn't dependent on Apple sending them review samples and Mac Address was the result. Of course, it's still not as in-depth or journalistic as Gamers Nexus but it does seem to be better than most Apple-focused media.

EDIT: On the WAN Show after it launched, someone asked if he'd do a similar Linux channel and basically said there's no money in catering to Linux nerds. :v: (Not in those words, of course.)

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 31, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Klyith posted:

Review more phones that are under $500?

I would like literally any phone reviewer to do this whenever they're complaining about how nothing at the flagship end beyond the foldy gimmick is interesting. Go down and see what's going on in the mid and low range, see how much performance is being squeezed out of products that don't have infinite budget because the kind of people who buy flagships will literally pay anything. As the $1500 foldable market has handily demonstrated.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

I would like literally any phone reviewer to do this whenever they're complaining about how nothing at the flagship end beyond the foldy gimmick is interesting. Go down and see what's going on in the mid and low range, see how much performance is being squeezed out of products that don't have infinite budget because the kind of people who buy flagships will literally pay anything. As the $1500 foldable market has handily demonstrated.

When people click the affiliate links, 0.5% of $150 is not as much as 0.5% of $1,200. The end.

Ad revenue is poo poo compared to affiliate link revenue for product "review" channels.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The special short handle for Linus-sized hands definitely indicates this as not solving Linus' specific problems in an incredibly expensive way.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Boy they should have listened to that first company.

I hope for everyone at LMG's sakes their next hardline product gets a defined Product Manager to handle the entire process that isn't Linus.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mr.Radar posted:

Weirdly, that's the reason LTT launched their Mac Address channel with its own host. Linus identified that there was a gap in the market of Apple device coverage for someone who wasn't dependent on Apple sending them review samples and Mac Address was the result. Of course, it's still not as in-depth or journalistic as Gamers Nexus but it does seem to be better than most Apple-focused media.

Yeah I’m actually subbed to that because the host is nice to listen to. He seems to love apple products but also is critical about them if they miss the mark.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'd rather get this Wera ratcheting screwdriver which comes with a Lifetime Warranty. It is also cheaper and in stock.

https://www.kctool.com/wera-073661-kraftform-kompakt-27-ra-2-sb/

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
let us remind ourselves here that what we're doing here is subscribing to product reviews as entertainment. like, you're voluntarily submerging yourself neck deep in consumerism and making it part of your identity. it doesn't really matter what the hosts actually say at that point.

gamersnexus skirts the edge because they're more of an independent industry news outlet than a content marketing studio, and even in their product reviews you can tell they're trying to tone down the consumerism aspects. people complain about their reviews being boring with steve just reading numbers off a chart, but knowing Steve that might actually be kind of intentional on some level - you shouldn't be watching the review just for the sake of watching the review. of course, not even Steve is immune to the economic realities of the advertising economy and you can tell he's been frustrated lately because it's been difficult to get people to actually watch the content he thinks is interesting, rather than just the usual "hey look new shiny product" fare.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 31, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheFluff posted:

let us remind ourselves here that what we're doing here is subscribing to product reviews as entertainment. like, you're voluntarily submerging yourself neck deep in consumerism and making it part of your identity. it doesn't really matter what the hosts actually say at that point.

gamersnexus skirts the edge because they're more of an independent industry news outlet than a content marketing studio, and even in their product reviews you can tell they're trying to tone down the consumerism aspects. people complain about their reviews being boring with steve just reading numbers off a chart, but knowing Steve that might actually be kind of intentional on some level - you shouldn't be watching the review just for the sake of watching the review. of course, not even Steve is immune to the economic realities of the advertising economy and you can tell he's been frustrated lately because it's been difficult to get people to actually watch the content he thinks is interesting, rather than just the usual "hey look new shiny product" fare.

Disagree on this.

I watch most of the GN reviews so I’m up to date and can help other people build. Plus it just keeps me in the loop for when I’m ready to build.

GN doesn’t do shilling of any kind, or even really skirt. For their advertising, they absolutely refuse to make dubious claims or statements. Steve has talked before about specifically denying advertisers or copy because they won’t make those claims, even in a very clearly marked paid spot.

GN doesn’t even take money for flights or lodging to cons or announcements. They go extremely out of their way, even more than is probably necessary, to remain impartial. They don’t even show marketing slides unless they have to, or as a comparative basis for their own data.

The only thing the really actually adhere to is review embargo dates, and even on that they go out of their way sometimes to get retail samples if they’re available.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr.Radar posted:

EDIT: On the WAN Show after it launched, someone asked if he'd do a similar Linux channel and basically said there's no money in catering to Linux nerds. :v: (Not in those words, of course.)

He's not wrong, though searching 'linux' on the LTT channel it looks like their linux content actually does ok -- not mega viral but nothing has less than 1M views.

But also L1Techs already exists and nobody at LTT is gonna do better.

TheFluff posted:

A little bit, but you're also making yourself a more informed consumer (if you're watching / reading outlets that do good reviews, and not glorified unboxing shills).

If you do a thing as a hobby, it's valuable to know things about the hobby. If I do backpack camping I want to know about backpacks and hiking boots and tents. Knowing nothing about those things and buying crap that sucks is going to ruin the experience. Same with the uninformed consumer who buys an Alienware so-called 'gaming' PC.

It's mindless consumerism if you then go out and buy poo poo that you don't use, or is stupidly in excess of the requirements. The PC space has plenty of this -- people who drop several K per year on having the best esports PC possible at all times. I've often thought that if you swapped out a few components in many people's high-end enthusiast PCs with mid-range stuff, the owners actually wouldn't notice.

But this is not unique to PCs; pretty much every other hobby that you can spend money on is like that. People spend money in pursuit of status? No poo poo!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i like to know stuff about computers and it seems objectively true that the multimedia format has taught me in a few years what decades of experience hadn't. you can inform and educate about this stuff, which is very routinely obscured to gently caress and develop useful tools you can use to help people in your life, as a nice pocket skill and ability to help your friends. i like that stuff, i like to tinker.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The End of History Airflow

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I bought the linus screwdriver which I'm sure isn't a wise purchase, but seems neat enough I don't think I will regret it very much.
I can pretty reliably guess what my impressions will be of it. It's very very similar to my current favorite screwdriver, also made by Megapro. The attempted improvements on the linus one seem to be made with good intentions but I can only hope there isn't some significant flaw, but these improvements definitely aren't worth the 3x price increase over the MegaPro compact.
The current screwdriver I have is the MegaPro Compact Ratcheting Screwdriver which sadly seems to have been discontinued and the only ones left are in random online Canadian hardware stores. Linus was right about wanting to shorten the length of the standard Megapro IMO.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

interesting that you felt compelled to admit this

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

gradenko_2000 posted:

The End of History Airflow

Someone buy him a case that isnt 20 years old

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the new ltt screwdriver video has linus saying "i'm a perfectionist control freak who hates making money" we know linus

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Yet he seems to be a millionaire, curious :thunk:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Yet he seems to be a millionaire, curious :thunk:

he, like us, does unfortunately live in a society

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whomst among us

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Watching him giggle at how much money his "Trust Me Bro" shirt was making definitely makes me feel that that statement about not caring about making money is perhaps maybe not true.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

THF13 posted:

I bought the linus screwdriver which I'm sure isn't a wise purchase, but seems neat enough I don't think I will regret it very much.
I can pretty reliably guess what my impressions will be of it. It's very very similar to my current favorite screwdriver, also made by Megapro. The attempted improvements on the linus one seem to be made with good intentions but I can only hope there isn't some significant flaw, but these improvements definitely aren't worth the 3x price increase over the MegaPro compact.
The current screwdriver I have is the MegaPro Compact Ratcheting Screwdriver which sadly seems to have been discontinued and the only ones left are in random online Canadian hardware stores. Linus was right about wanting to shorten the length of the standard Megapro IMO.

So it's just baby hands version of their regular product. OK.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've never been in the midst of tightening the screws on computer components and thought 'i wish this screwdriver ratcheted'. If I'm honest I'm not sure I even know what a ratchet is outside of rap music.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

The Grumbles posted:

I've never been in the midst of tightening the screws on computer components and thought 'i wish this screwdriver ratcheted'. If I'm honest I'm not sure I even know what a ratchet is outside of rap music.

It means that when you turn it one way, it just spins. So uhh... you don't have to let go of the screwdriver as you're turning it, you can just go back and forth. Which is very important for PC building because as we know all the screws are very long and the hard part is definitely turning them in and not lining them up to get them started. Also, with all the corrosion and stuff in PC screws the ratchet mechanism will definitely work and not just spin in reverse anyway because there's too little load.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've got a ton of screwdrivers but the super long ones that come with the Scythe Fuma 2 and Mugen 5 to reach down to the mount through the fin stack are really useful for PC building since they're Philips #2 with an extra long shank. Wera laser tip are good for household stuff, though. I got a 60 year old rusty bathroom fan out of the ceiling a couple of weeks ago with one and it didn't slip unscrewing the numerous 1960s flat heads from the brackets they used.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I guess if you're doing a lot of work that needs a screwdriver the ratchet will save you time and be a little bit less annoying than the way you normally use a screwdriver. Though as K8.0 says, PC screws usually don't have enough load to make the ratchet actually turn. When I've tried using a ratcheting screwdriver I've often had to turn the ratchet off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ok lol we don't need to tear down the idea of a ratcheting screwdriver, cowboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I use an impact driver for all my pc builds