Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
im going to do it. im going to tear down the idea of a racheting screwdriver, as i am a cowboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

very little of a computer is load bearing so finger setting ought to be enough, really. like has anyone even legitimately used a screwdriver ever?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

So it's just baby hands version of their regular product. OK.

you may have noticed this but linus is a very small man physically

Tiny Timbs posted:

very little of a computer is load bearing so finger setting ought to be enough, really. like has anyone even legitimately used a screwdriver ever?

m.2 screws are tiny and need to be screwed absolutely flush for example, i really wish i had a magnetic head screwdriver for those

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arivia posted:

you may have noticed this but linus is a very small man physically

m.2 screws are tiny and need to be screwed absolutely flush for example, i really wish i had a magnetic head screwdriver for those

Good news, you can magnetize most screwdrivers by pulling them over a magnet. There's also magnetizer/demagnetizer blocks for removing the magnetization.

Here's a video about them since that's thread appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RazORgAqEUc

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Tiny Timbs posted:

ok lol we don't need to tear down the idea of a ratcheting screwdriver, cowboy

Tiny Timbs posted:

I go with a hammer and nails for all my pc builds

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
M.2 screws really need a precision screwdriver as they are such fiddly little fuckers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The TechYesCity guy uses a battery powered screwdriver

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The TechYesCity guy uses a battery powered screwdriver

Ah, the guy who cleans motherboards with WD40. I remember him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Ah, the guy who cleans motherboards with WD40. I remember him.

but i don't want motherboards to move

could you combine this guy and david murray (8bitguy) to end up with someone who's just absolute death to computers

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Rexxed posted:

Good news, you can magnetize most screwdrivers by pulling them over a magnet. There's also magnetizer/demagnetizer blocks for removing the magnetization.

i just magnetize my case instead

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t840X9_8I-Q

Does the Linus Screwdriver have a warranty

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I really had no idea screwdrivers could warrant this many pages of discussion. My dad has a cool magnetic screwdriver and I have two different screwdrivers I use for tearing apart my PC which were probably 5 dollars total. I’m assuming you’d want some fancy pants $100 screwdriver if you’re a PC builder and do this 8 hours a day for a job? Man now I’m posting about screwdrivers too

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

buglord posted:

I really had no idea screwdrivers could warrant this many pages of discussion. My dad has a cool magnetic screwdriver and I have two different screwdrivers I use for tearing apart my PC which were probably 5 dollars total. I’m assuming you’d want some fancy pants $100 screwdriver if you’re a PC builder and do this 8 hours a day for a job? Man now I’m posting about screwdrivers too

no, not really. usually you buy a fixit kit of some kind and maybe a nice multivariable kit with a magnet, that i would say is the upper limit of what tinkerers would buy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

hifi posted:

If you buy an $80 ratcheting screwdriver from an internet personality, I will personally provide a lifetime warranty that you are bad with money.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I bought a toolkit off gamers Nexus.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is it weird i'm much less judgemental about the screwdriver than i am the backpack? it might be that i'm literally like 170 dollars different reaction lol.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CoolCab posted:

is it weird i'm much less judgemental about the screwdriver than i am the backpack? it might be that i'm literally like 170 dollars different reaction lol.

Yeah the screwdriver seems good (but pricey) while the backpack is an abomination

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

gradenko_2000 posted:

The End of History Airflow

Wait is that actually him on his account? How bizarre.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

hifi posted:

Linus Poodriver, more like :smug:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait is that actually him on his account? How bizarre.

I googled it because I don’t know who this guy is but I find the 3070 in a definitely-OEM computer case hilarious. But yeah it’s him, whoever he is. More power to him. Unless he sucks, then less power to him, but you can’t go lower than EVGA bronze.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, its PC building time?

*Gets out 4 foot long torque wrench*

Time to properly install M.2 SSD screws

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao

*m.2 screw goes flying, never to be seen again and/or gets lodged between a power and ground pin*

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

buglord posted:

I googled it because I don’t know who this guy is but I find the 3070 in a definitely-OEM computer case hilarious. But yeah it’s him, whoever he is. More power to him. Unless he sucks, then less power to him, but you can’t go lower than EVGA bronze.

I figured that was a 4U rackmount case or something due to the layout. Definitely an interesting choice of components.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does Harbor Freight sell anything that can do inch-pounds?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tiny Timbs posted:

Does Harbor Freight sell anything that can do inch-pounds?

They sell a 1/4" ratchet that lists 20-200 in/lb. That's way too much for tiny screws though, most of those are in the 10-20 in/lb range. TBF though, unless you're doing something really precise like mounting scope bases for competitive precision rifle shooting, there aren't a lot of applications you actually need to measure that little torque for. You can get way more than close enough by hand. Nobody actually uses torque wrenches on bicycles, for example, even though everything has a spec in newton meters. And then for that high precision/low torque stuff, you have to jump to like $200+ specialty tools. I have heard good things about fixit sticks, if you just need to repeat a handful of small torque values repeatedly, but those quickly add up into that price range anyway.

For larger values like working on cars or whatever, HF torque wrenches are way more than adequate unless you're doing something extremely precise, like building serious race engines or something. You can get a $22 torque wrench that is way more accurate than you need to be for basically anything. Plus, a luggage scale and a ruler are about all you need to test calibration on torque wrenches to also way more accuracy than you need.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

buglord posted:

He sucks. Generally one of the driving philosophical voices behind US foreign policy posture for the last 40 years, namely meddling in everything everywhere at all times. He's softened up a bit but still sucks because he still advocates for the "end of history" and the creation of a monopolar world with the US as its center even as he's lost his taste for achieving that with military force.
I am sure a goon will show up and tell me he's brilliant and I am dumb, but whatever.
Super weird to see him posting pictures of his extremely pedestrian computer.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Who cares

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dude's thinking has affected literally millions and millions of lives across the globe. And he uses a stock AMD cooler. It's funny.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlternateAccount posted:

I am sure a goon will show up and tell me he's brilliant and I am dumb, but whatever.

Regardless of whether he's brilliant or not, you're pretty dumb when you assign positions to people that aren't what they have. (He was against iraq war and specifically laid out why US military power isn't good for "meddling everywhere".)

AlternateAccount posted:

he still advocates for the "end of history"

if fukuyama got a nickel every time someone misinterpreted that title he could buy a really baller pc

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tbf it is a little funny to see someone I read about in a high school history class asking for help with their gaming PC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Tbf it is a little funny to see someone I read about in a high school history class asking for help with their gaming PC.

That pc case dates from your high school days too!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
good for him reusing a case like that imo. if you can get 20 years of use out of a case more power to you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think buying expensive components and then letting them cook inside a hotbox is not exactly environmentalism but what do i know.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

good for him reusing a case like that imo. if you can get 20 years of use out of a case more power to you.

The end of tetanus

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
having watched the screwdriver video this product makes an absolute ton more sense. pricing is still stupid but it's not as egregiously stupid.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So it's just baby hands version of their regular product. OK.

basically yes, it's someone taking an established but ultimately niche product, tuning up stupid poo poo that doesn't matter like mechanical keyboard sound of the ratchet but ultimately also doesn't really seem to hurt the product at all. there's not enough room to be too overengineered in terms of the product, no comment on the production schedule but not obviously in the product, lol. i don't know the tool market loving at all but they're taking an established and working design, doing some rebrands and ultimately super niche tuneups and selling it with a markup. the price is dumb, but they've paid the capital to produce an arbitrary number of these now and i would expect them to be still making them in years so they probably could bring pricing down after they've paid some of that back.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

That pc case dates from your high school days too!

humanity's long search for better governments computer cases ended in 1989, didn't you know?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think buying expensive components and then letting them cook inside a hotbox is not exactly environmentalism but what do i know.

i would put money on that not having major thermal throttling issues, look at how open the back is and it's gigantic. i would say probably major issues from dust looking at that stock cooler, lol, but he's an old dude and he wants his blu ray drive and sata bays and doesn't care about acoustics, and i bet that setup will run just fine like that. we should all be so lucky in our old age, i am endlessly charmed by the idea of someone keeping a rig going that long.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

humanity's long search for better governments computer cases ended in 1989, didn't you know?

The end of history is beige and has razor sharp edges, checks out!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
remember, these cases are designed to that older ethos - this case has both that dinky little 90mm or whatever it is and the 120mm in the PSU as exhausts. this is frankly an extremely bad idea for the PSU but it will mean the case will have negative pressure, which means that all those empty PCIe slots and poo poo right under the GPU are going to be getting some fresh air. the big downside is dust and you can see it all over, but much like cable management my boy frankie f is here for what it does not how it looks. a builder after my own heart, which is weird. like, i'm pretty sure other than the case we have almost an identical config, i have that gpu lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I usually use a PC case for at least two, sometimes three PCs over its lifetime. I got a full decade out an Antec P150