Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I found a few sleeves of older TaylorMade balls (circa 2010? 2011?) in my garage. I'm an absolute trash player, so I really can't tell the difference between balls, but do golf balls have a shelf life? I'm looking to get back into golf, but if playing with the super old balls end up being too frustrating I don't mind buying some new ones before I hit the course this weekend.

Also all the fake leather covers for my clubs are flaking off and it looks super bad. Any recommendations or will it just come down to preference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

kimcicle posted:

I found a few sleeves of older TaylorMade balls (circa 2010? 2011?) in my garage. I'm an absolute trash player, so I really can't tell the difference between balls, but do golf balls have a shelf life? I'm looking to get back into golf, but if playing with the super old balls end up being too frustrating I don't mind buying some new ones before I hit the course this weekend.

Also all the fake leather covers for my clubs are flaking off and it looks super bad. Any recommendations or will it just come down to preference?

Yes, they have a shelf life. No, it likely won't matter.

Find cheap knit covers. Just protecting the shafts is the idea. Unless you have a desire for sports team/university affiliation, it doesn't matter.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The reason for head covers is to protect the shaft?

Why do irons not need the shafts protected?

Not trying to be a dick, I’m genuinely curious. I always figured they were for keeping the paint from chipping off the heads when they bang around in your bag.

I’ve lost any head cover I’ve ever had within a round of two or getting it so I don’t even bother anymore. But I suck at golf, so it doesn’t affect much.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

The reason for head covers is to protect the shaft?

Why do irons not need the shafts protected?

Not trying to be a dick, I’m genuinely curious. I always figured they were for keeping the paint from chipping off the heads when they bang around in your bag.

I’ve lost any head cover I’ve ever had within a round of two or getting it so I don’t even bother anymore. But I suck at golf, so it doesn’t affect much.

The rubbing can wear through the epoxy/finish on the carbon shafts, which weakens them and gives you a place for them to break on the next big stress. Iron shafts are generally steel, but I bet carbon fiber iron shafts have the same issue.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

xsf421 posted:

The rubbing can wear through the epoxy/finish on the carbon shafts, which weakens them and gives you a place for them to break on the next big stress. Iron shafts are generally steel, but I bet carbon fiber iron shafts have the same issue.

Huh, good to know, thanks!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

I’ve lost any head cover I’ve ever had within a round of two or getting it so I don’t even bother anymore.

I find this baffling.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I find this baffling.

I used to lose a lot of headcovers but somehow I stopped. I think when I started taking off my glove in between shots and using a scoring app on my watch, I developed a much better post-shot routine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xsf421 posted:

Yeah, non-metal shafts on irons can take a beating, but unlike the woods, they're not elevated, exposing the shaft to the other clubs (as much). Mostly irons bang heads, and bang their heads into the shafts of the taller clubs.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My driver shaft has a spot on it where the finish wore off because I used to leave my putter head off for the entire round. Now I put it back on after each hole.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

After 720 points spread across 18 weeks I ended up coming second in my Tuesday golf league by 2 points when the other team’s B player hit a ~20 footer on the last hole of the last night. Pissed that we couldn’t take it, especially with the two 3-putts on my card, but I guess couldn’t ask for a more thrilling end.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
There's a "shot tracer" app for iOS. The interface is the clunkiest thing I've ever seen, but it does work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkOF_s-YCw

What's more concerning to me is I have to hit an 8 iron for 135 yards. I hit that shot about as center of the clubface as it gets, but I guess I'm not getting much, if any lag. Also, if I hadn't hit the ball first that was going to be a chunky monkey supreme.

Something else I don't understand about the golf swing: I feel like I'm about to twist completely off my front foot. That can't be right. At least it's my front foot instead of my back one :v:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 2, 2022

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Farking Bastage posted:

There's a "shot tracer" app for iOS. The interface is the clunkiest thing I've ever seen, but it does work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkOF_s-YCw

What's more concerning to me is I have to hit an 8 iron for 135 yards. I hit that shot about as center of the clubface as it gets, but I guess I'm not getting much, if any lag. Also, if I hadn't hit the ball first that was going to be a chunky monkey supreme.

Something else I don't understand about the golf swing: I feel like I'm about to twist completely off my front foot. That can't be right. At least it's my front foot instead of my back one :v:

your front foot should be pretty open but the feeling of twisting into your front knee is normal. It's a common source of golf injuries so there is some new ideas floating around that the scott schefller full rotation motion may actually be better long term

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
my wife sent this to me. I had a chuckle.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Very good finish to the LIV tournament today and I think the format actually worked well this time around with several different players having opportunities to get into a playoff and some surprises like Westwood making bogey on an easy hole from ~100 yards out etc.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Welp. I’m back to my old ceiling as a player looks like. I’m just consistent enough to have the ball go within 30 degrees of where I want it to with some sort of bad mishit every couple of swings. It’s always a surprise and usually in a random direction when I duff. If I hit a good tee shot(rare these days) I’m all but guaranteed to miss the green and I can’t get up and down anyway. When I do make a decent chip I miss a 4 foot putt.

There is nothing enjoyable about golf anymore. I hate the game as much as I hate myself for being so loving terrible.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Farking Bastage posted:

Welp. I’m back to my old ceiling as a player looks like. I’m just consistent enough to have the ball go within 30 degrees of where I want it to with some sort of bad mishit every couple of swings. It’s always a surprise and usually in a random direction when I duff. If I hit a good tee shot(rare these days) I’m all but guaranteed to miss the green and I can’t get up and down anyway. When I do make a decent chip I miss a 4 foot putt.

There is nothing enjoyable about golf anymore. I hate the game as much as I hate myself for being so loving terrible.

Have you considered consistent lessons with a pro and doing a weekly practice session at the range to work on your issues? Or is the joy so gone that you don't even feel like bothering with that?

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Mederlock posted:

Have you considered consistent lessons with a pro and doing a weekly practice session at the range to work on your issues? Or is the joy so gone that you don't even feel like bothering with that?

The journey to improvement is a good chunk of why I keep playing. And I am not particularly "good"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mederlock posted:

I did all of the above. Hacked for years, quit for a decade, came back and did lessons every 2 weeks and practiced.

I went from a 34 handicap to a 17 over three years. Unless you are an amazing athlete, there are no shortcuts when it comes to golf.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’d arguing being a good athlete is counter intuitive for golf. It goes against basically everything you’re told to do in any other sport.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

RCarr posted:

I’d arguing being a good athlete is counter intuitive for golf. It goes against basically everything you’re told to do in any other sport.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, given that there are countless examples of professional athletes from tons of other sports all playing golf at very high levels.

Certain sports and positions definitely translate better to golf - just look at how many former and current MLB pitchers and NFL QBs who are incredibly talented golfers - but the basic necessities of being good at golf are things like hand-eye coordination, strength, flexibility, endurance, focus, etc. These are all the same things you need to be successful in almost every other sport as well.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
There is a reason baseball players (and hockey players) pick up golf in like 2 weeks. The core swing weight shift to power through the hips stuff is already there.

That's why I suggest batting cages and Tom Emansky videos with Fred McGriff for new golfers.

cock those hips!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuIs9ZKq5Ts

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 6, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah you don't need to be jacked to play golf but general athleticism definitely helps

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Tennis and other sports ingrains some bad mechanics in though is the only issue. From playing tennis for a decade I do a lot of early extension because the move when you hit a shot is to drive up from your legs

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

As my playing partner puts it, I'm losing ten strokes a round between my ears :smith:

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

Farking Bastage posted:

As my playing partner puts it, I'm losing ten strokes a round between my ears :smith:

I lose a a solid stroke per hole on the putting green. I am thrilled with a 2 putt. I usually 3 putt to be honest. Then throw in chunky shots, bladed shots, monster slices or hooks and well... A 50 shot 9 holes is really easy to "achieve". And frankly, if the round is going terrible, I quit keeping score and start looking to just make good single shots.

But another thing that has helped recently for me to "have fun" on the course and actually enjoy golf is I just play from the whites with my dad when we play. A par 4 from the whites is drive/8-9-p irons. Same par 4 from blue's turns into drive/6-7-8 irons. Definitely plays different mentally even though the actual shot isn't too different in the grand scheme of things. An errant 9 iron is usually a better outcome than an errant 6 iron.

Should I be playing from the blues? Probably, I certainly have a drive distance to support it in the summer. But, it's not always fun and I'm not out their trying to be a pro or even have an official handicap. If I get to the point where I play every week with some regularity, I'll start trying to be "good".

My point is, step back and ask "why am i playing golf?". For me, it's the playing partners and being outside and get a little bit of exercise. Thus, good/bad is very relative and I'll take individual holes being good as a positive sign and worry less about the full round on my journey to being a decent golfer.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Uhhh no one should be playing from the blues if they are shooting over 100…

Unless your course is weird, the blues are usually the farthest.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

At least on the courses I've played the most "blues" tend to mean second longest and the sort of default men's tee, for better or worse.

But yeah, absolutely play where a good drive gets you a short iron in. Have fun - golf is expensive and time consuming, go out an have a good time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Huh, in NY, the whites are always the “mens” tees.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I usually see red/white/blue and then black for the tips.

Most male golfers should be playing from whites.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

RCarr posted:

Sorry for the confusion. On the courses I play, it's (shortest) reds, whites, blues, golds ( longest).

The gold tees are markedly longer and usually tighter on the drive accurately.

Reds are the senior/lady's/junior tees.
Whites are the "standard" with blues usually adding 5-10 yards
Gold's typically add a solid 10-15 yards to the blues. At least that's my eyeball estimate.

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 7, 2022

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I'm going to yell this poo poo from the trees until it becomes the norm

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I'm going to yell this poo poo from the trees until it becomes the norm

Ignoring the blues made everything waaaaay more fun. Hell, playing the reds provides an different feel for a course compared to the whites.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Carry a four sided die and everyone rolls to see which tee they use for that hole. 1 being the closest tee and 4 being the longest.

We joked about doing this when our course had a drainage issue where the red tee was on a long par 4. To compensate the course moved the red tee way up out of the wet area and it was basically a 150 yard par 4 from the red tee.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My course is pink, red, gold, white, blue. All of the leagues use the whites by default except for our Thursday skins league which has longer hitters play the blues. Most open golfers play the whites too although sometimes I’ll see people playing the blues. Some of them belong there and some don’t but it’s a pretty short course even from those tees so it doesn’t make a huge difference.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Red - 5212
Gold - 5934
White - 6326
Blue - 6772
Black - 7182

Tees and yardages at one of the courses I play all the time. Most people, but not enough people, generally play from the whites, I split between whites and blues depending on who I'm playing with. I think I've only seen people tip it out a half dozen times in all the years I've played said course.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I played the white tees this weekend instead of the blues. Had a great time, got to hit some clubs that I rarely get to hit. Still had a blast, and was net +3 with my handicap.

Most tournament games at my club take place at the white tees anyway. Only the club championship (gross) takes place from the tips (black).

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I think someone was talking about a friend never having broken 80 and blowing up right at the end. I've broken 80 once and I've come very close in the past two weeks. Just some REALLY stupid mistakes costing me:

#9 on that first scorecard in particular, I was 10 yards from the hole in 2 and somehow managed to skull my chip over the green and double bogey. Despite missing out on getting into the 70s I don't know if I've ever had that many pars before in a round so I walked out of there fairly pleased. Really just have to work on my wedges around the green. #16 on the second round was a real kick in the balls though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I prefer playing at 65-6700 yards. I'll play the tips if everyone is, or up a box for the same reason. I am longer than average, so it's no issue, but the sweet spot for enjoyment is 6500.

They punched the greens yesterday. Had one of the most fun rounds of the season on them today. No way anyone could take scoring seriously. I had two long birdie putts just hop away at the last second as they slowed down, one hilariously so (like, literally three inch hop dead sideways). Short par putts we're just a crap shoot. It was great, only because none of the four of us gave a rats rear end about our scores after the first green, and we just went where the hosed up greens took us.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Y’all play 2 putt max on freshly punched greens or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

Y’all play 2 putt max on freshly punched greens or no?

The rare occasion I play on recently punched greens yes. I'm talking rare though, I can't remember the last time I played a course with freshly punched greens. The maintenance schedules for most of the courses I play in the area are pretty well known so I'll avoid them for a month or so and play somewhere else, plenty of options around here to play.