Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wsl is a huge deal for (cs and related) education as i've commented before, now the worst case is students having macs, which is usually not too bad.

but great for all kinds of computer touching. for me very helpful for doing gpu stuff with the combo of linux tooling and windows drivers, but that's one of a million little cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wsl is the best desktop linux, ergo the best desktop linux is windows. hth echi

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

wsl is great for any sort of professional or hobbyist computer touching on windows yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

wsl is the best desktop linux, ergo the best desktop linux is windows. hth echi

sounds like something dreamed up by an early 2000s website that was half slashdot and half the onion

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

sounds like something dreamed up by an early 2000s website that was half slashdot and half the onion

its good actually

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
chromeos has something kinda similar now but i think i'm the only one that uses it here?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I know you said don't tell you, but it's basically (with some handwaving about kernel) a linux VM that integrates well with windows, it supports most popular distros too

so you can run linux things on your windows machine

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

chromeos has something kinda similar now but i think i'm the only one that uses it here?

it ran like poo poo on my chomebook because something something display driver

also, it was a Linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it ran like poo poo on my chomebook because something something display driver

also, it was a Linux

they're constantly loving with it but even with a pretty decently spec'd one its still lovely, particularly the ui (and scaling, fonts, themes, everything really)

i dont have any particular insight as to why, but i think because instead of just using the goddamn gpu they're funneling everything over virtio for some reason

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wonder if gui applications in crostini would be more usable if you just used xnest or something.

It's really stupid that literally the only way to make an app that functions approximately reasonable on chrome os is to make it a web app where you run the server in crostini and access it from chrome outside of crostini

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

I wonder if gui applications in crostini would be more usable if you just used xnest or something.

It's really stupid that literally the only way to make an app that functions approximately reasonable on chrome os is to make it a web app where you run the server in crostini and access it from chrome outside of crostini

i just booted up the chromebook to see what would happen (before it auto-applied an update, more on that in a sec) and i was able to get xvnc working, it looks like it's still using virtio instead of igd or whatever the thing in qemu is

then that update hit. it nuked that entire install and replaced the crostini vm with a new, incompatible version

...which i will play around with. but i still prefer using crouton/crew for native stuff (and tbh, i'm basically not using "chrome os" much at all)

e: so i tried it and :shrug:

idk what to do about this

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 30, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

things looking good in that i didn't read that they fixed it or anything, i just turned on my computer today after some time away and found it now behaved correctly in scenarios that previously reliably failed.

update update: it's looking good, but it hosed up my icon spacing on the first boot after the update, was fine after a reboot

I give the update 4/5 microsofts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

it stands for "wanna switch? lmao"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

wsl is nerdy as all hell but its neat and somewhat handy
Wait until you hear about these things called "computers"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

whoever designed the alarms and clock app for windows 10 should be chucked into a live volcano

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

a few hours ago after a reboot i discovered that my audio output in windows had been set to mono. i guess at some point i must have accidentally clicked the button to enable mono output when i was changing output devices as i often do.

why microsoft decided to put that option front-and-centre in the sound settings is beyond me. literally the last thing anyone would want to enable.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

a few hours ago after a reboot i discovered that my audio output in windows had been set to mono. i guess at some point i must have accidentally clicked the button to enable mono output when i was changing output devices as i often do.

why microsoft decided to put that option front-and-centre in the sound settings is beyond me. literally the last thing anyone would want to enable.

and in general they've made changing outputs more clicks in 11. stupid as hell, as that is basically the only audio adjustment i use windows ui (rather than hardware controls) for.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jenny Agutter posted:

whoever designed … windows … should be chucked into a live volcano

ftfy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lol I have it enabled

the sound system I use to make sound on my windows machine has one broken channel so I have both speakers running in parallel (I think) from the one channel that works and windows set to mono so I don’t miss anything

I also have a car subwoofer (a dual voice coil 12” running at 2 ohms off a large class D car amp) and I power the amp with a pc power supply which has all the 12v rails soldered together lol. it’s never caught fire. i’m amazed it can power the amp considering it’s designed to be run off a car power system lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it sounds good.. just mono

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

music from the 60s or whatever when stereo was first recorded and the artists went overboard infuriates me. yes i want to only listen to the guitar with one ear, great job. oh now you're switching ti between ears rapidly? wow thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cowboy beepboop posted:

music from the 60s or whatever when stereo was first recorded and the artists went overboard infuriates me. yes i want to only listen to the guitar with one ear, great job. oh now you're switching ti between ears rapidly? wow thanks!

also didn't they do some stuff where they would take previously-mono recordings and pan random tracks left and right and reissue it as a stereo record?

anyway about 20 years ago I had one of my stereo speakers hooked up with 20m of wire so I could drag it from the computer room into the middle of the house and play music. mono mode was useful!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cowboy beepboop posted:

this is why all 70 year old audiophiles love aja by steely dan so much

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Pile Of Garbage posted:

It's an accessibility option, I'm deaf in one ear and that setting lets me wear headphones.

Some games / programs let you set it individually, but many don't and UI designers can't agree if it lives under 'Audio' or 'Accessibility', so it's nice to be able to force it in Windows and be done with it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

It's an accessibility option, I'm deaf in one ear and that setting lets me wear headphones.

Some games / programs let you set it individually, but many don't and UI designers can't agree if it lives under 'Audio' or 'Accessibility', so it's nice to be able to force it in Windows and be done with it.

oh wow i didn't realise that. i feel like a massive dingus now, more so than usual

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pile Of Garbage posted:

oh wow i didn't realise that. i feel like a massive dingus now, more so than usual

sheesh what a pile of garbage

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wsl is a huge deal for (cs and related) education as i've commented before, now the worst case is students having macs, which is usually not too bad.

but great for all kinds of computer touching. for me very helpful for doing gpu stuff with the combo of linux tooling and windows drivers, but that's one of a million little cases.

It's really nice not having to deal with cygwin.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
fact I learned today:

MS still does not allow you to buy a license which allows you to run the ARM variant of Windows under virtualization.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a normal windows license isnt good for any architecture?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

a normal windows license isnt good for any architecture?

a windows license isnt good for anything

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

a windows license isnt good for anything

windows is free software now. you don’t need a license

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm guessing OP wants to setup a VM on a mac or something similar for commercial use, otherwise there is no reason in the world to care about the windows EULA, which probably forbids right-clicking the desktop

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last time I tried using it without a license it had an annoying watermark that was displayed on top of all other windows

I'm not sure if this was just because I was accessing it via rdp?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

akadajet posted:

windows is free software now. you don’t need a license

what did i say

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's really nice not having to deal with cygwin.

oh jeez. I remember this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

I'm guessing OP wants to setup a VM on a mac or something similar for commercial use, otherwise there is no reason in the world to care about the windows EULA, which probably forbids right-clicking the desktop

then he would just buy a license and run it in a vm, i would think.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Foolishly installed a nonessential update on my windows pc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seriously though, I think I'm just hosed. I can sometimes get into the bios but that crashes after like 2 screens whatever I do

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
windows asked me to update to 11 again despite not having a tpm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it keeps offering to on my definitely not supported (bios limitation) tablet and then beep boop 'maybe i should upgrade the hardware'

i'll get right one that, ms, maybe add more ram too to my very cheap device