Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Reinstalled this on a lark and decided to do a human-ability-only run. Beelined for wrench upgrades at first as a joke, but it ended up being surprisingly effective. The combo of wrench and stun/gloo is way more powerful than I thought. Thanks to liberal wrenching, I have none of the ammo problems I had during my first playthrough. I only really shoot stuff that flies (plus Nightmares,) and since I'm not spending all my materials on ammo, my guns are all super well upgraded. Maxing the stun gun early was a good choice.
Neuromods are also plentiful. I'm only just in Deep Storage, but I've nearly maxed out all the human trees minus the psi pool upgrades. It helps that I recycle every psi hypo I get over a count of 10 and railroad them into neuromods, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
D2 is less narratively interesting than D1, but its core gameplay and level design is top notch.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If anyone hasn't yet played BX, CX, & DX, I recommend them. They're heavier on story than the other missions, and they all fit right in the sweet spot for difficulty imo. The high number D levels are so ball-bustingly hard that I don't find them fun to repeatedly run, but they've got enough to them to take a bit of challenge. Plus the reward makes you look so tacky.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

aniviron posted:

If anyone hasn't yet played BX, CX, & DX, I recommend them.

I... what? This post in the right thread?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It was not. Disregard that, wow.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Prey CX... Prey Center CX. Arino has the neuromods that teach him how to play the game removed over and over to find out what level of drift makes him funniest.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
boy these moon sharks really make me rage quit

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just jump over them with the jetpack thingie? Also later in the run you're big enough to just blow them up. Or use a plot device to erase them, etc etc.

I'd really love it if they'd release a balance tweak and randomizer for Mooncrash, it has a lot more legs than its already-substantial playthrough gives you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I like moonsharks. I find them very satisfying to kill.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
aaaaaannnnd mooncrash crashed in the middle of a very good run where I had managed to find a ton of neuromods to power up an underpowered character. Good, great, wonderful! :suicide:
I love nothing to show for an hour of exploring!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

aniviron posted:

There are no satisfying to kill enemies in Prey.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do you seriously not love the splatter of whacking mimics with the wrench? Pearls before swine, I swear.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Mimics were the best. But everything felt too abstract and ethereal to feel satisfying. Like fighting smoke.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Come on, torching poltergeists with that flame attack was extremely satisfying.

Edit: also I just today finished Alien: Isolation, and holy gently caress I will never complain about late game Prey ever again. A:I is a really good game for the first 50%, then it is insanely dull, repetitive, predictable and stupid

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 7, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Being able to knock Phantoms on their asses did a lot for me, but the shine wore off of that too.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Came across this game by chance a couple months ago and played it for the first time. Absolutely amazing. What a great time.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Came across this game by chance a couple months ago and played it for the first time. Absolutely amazing. What a great time.

Agreed... I got it on sale years ago and it's been Sitting there waiting. My family went on a trip and I was home alone and binged it in about 4 days. Couldn't get enough

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Its definitely one of the best fps games ever

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The yellow post it "not a mimic" room was amazing.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RE: Prey - I am still in awe of how coherent the layout of the space station is.
It's a surprisingly unusual thing I find. I just played Alien: Isolation for the first time, and while the overall aesthetic is amazingly good at capturing the look and feel of the Nostromo, I never knew where the hell I was relative to anywhere else in the station. I could barely tell if I was in a new area or revisiting somewhere I'd been 5 times before.

In Prey, I can still visualize how to get from one area to another without reference to a map, (except in the extremely confusing GUTS), and it's been months since my last playthrough.

It just feels like a real place. :unsmith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pookah posted:

RE: Prey - I am still in awe of how coherent the layout of the space station is.
It's a surprisingly unusual thing I find. I just played Alien: Isolation for the first time, and while the overall aesthetic is amazingly good at capturing the look and feel of the Nostromo, I never knew where the hell I was relative to anywhere else in the station. I could barely tell if I was in a new area or revisiting somewhere I'd been 5 times before.

In Prey, I can still visualize how to get from one area to another without reference to a map, (except in the extremely confusing GUTS), and it's been months since my last playthrough.

It just feels like a real place. :unsmith:

I saw a dev interview where they said there's only one part of the interior that wouldn't fit inside the exterior and they only did it because it would be impractical to do, but the rest of the station fits together correctly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Talos is one of my fave settings honestly. i've always wanted to see more games set in a singular, well modeled space and Prey is about as close as i've ever seen attempting that. like, think of how Die Hard is almost entirely in and around Nakatomi Plaza, i want games like that and Prey is it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

KillHour posted:

I saw a dev interview where they said there's only one part of the interior that wouldn't fit inside the exterior and they only did it because it would be impractical to do, but the rest of the station fits together correctly.

It's weird how we can apparently intuitively know if a linked set of spaces make sense or not. I mean, you'd think that because you have to load between areas, the natural connection between one room and another would be lost, but apparently it's not.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

See, it really is a Shock-like:

Though I think Talos' interior makes a lot more sense than Citadel station, even if in that image Citadel technically fits the boundaries and Talos doesn't quite manage. Arkane has maybe the best level designers in the business. Dishonored was similarly great.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I mean it's a little bit wild how much walking is necessary to get from crew quarters to the more far-flung parts of the ship but I suppose you could wave it away with "everybody is obligated to visit the arboretum twice a day so they don't go insane"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

uber_stoat posted:

Talos is one of my fave settings honestly. i've always wanted to see more games set in a singular, well modeled space and Prey is about as close as i've ever seen attempting that. like, think of how Die Hard is almost entirely in and around Nakatomi Plaza, i want games like that and Prey is it.

It’s not a shooter, but Disco Elysium is set entirely in one small, very well fleshed-out neighbourhood

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Prey is the best! One of the few I got 100%

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Loved the game, absolutely delighted to have played it. About to try out this "Mooncrash" thing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s also good. My only hot tips are that the stun gun can disable the anti typhon gates, neuromods carry over when installed, and you should probably always buy Artix systems once you’ve taken the free one.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

uber_stoat posted:

*Screams in Outer Wilds*

Which is, somehow, a singular, incredibly well modeled space, that just happens to be a boutique, chibi sized solar system.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

aniviron posted:

I also enjoyed the "floor is lava" type gameplay they enabled if you just wanted to avoid em.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Loved the game, absolutely delighted to have played it. About to try out this "Mooncrash" thing.

gently caress this is good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

gently caress this is good.

Standard issue warning: You eventually get the ability to craft the time-rewind thingies. Doing so trivializes the entire game, so try to avoid that. The ones found naturally are fine, of course.

Someone warned me of this, and I just dipped my toes in for a rewind or two. Ended up making the entire back half of the game boring, huge mistake. Don't be me.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Serephina posted:

Standard issue warning: You eventually get the ability to craft the time-rewind thingies. Doing so trivializes the entire game, so try to avoid that. The ones found naturally are fine, of course.

Someone warned me of this, and I just dipped my toes in for a rewind or two. Ended up making the entire back half of the game boring, huge mistake. Don't be me.

A handful of hours before reading this post, I began to spend a lot of time breaking stuff down to make time-rewind thingies and also learned that taking a bunch of pistol ammo and dart ammo at the character point buy screen is the key to having loads of synthetic and metal. That's some good advice and I'm going to do it as a self-imposed rule. Thankfully, as amazing as this game has been, I'm pretty close to being all done. I've gotten everyone out once and now only need to finish two story quests.

It's going to suck once this is done because much like after Divinity Original Sin 2 was over few other games will measure up in comparison.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I found it both fun and effective to simply start out as the escaped test subject guy, explode everything with my mind, and pile everything I didn't need (medkits, most ammo, most weapons, spare materials, etc) in one of a few convenient stash containers for other characters to raid later on. It feels a bit meta, but it's a lot less meta than crafting a million glitch hourglasses, and there's something kinda satisfying about the narrative of all these different people finding caches left to help them and deciding to pay it forward.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm 100% on board with leaving caches. Maybe not the cheaty-operator.

I kinda suspect that the game was designed or intended around not having any grindy/purchasable progression, where you complete each run stark naked with all neuromods unlocked and try to make it work from there - leaving stuff like the jetpack behind to those who need it most. Probably very honorable, and maybe got fudged a bit halfway through development as they found it too steep of a hill to climb without being able to gift yourself some pistol ammo and such.

All speculation of course, but it's an excellent take on the popular-at-the-time faux-roguelike fad and I'm glad Mooncrash exists.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I like a lot about Deathloop but wish it was closer to Mooncrash in a lot of ways. It was disappointing how much of Deathloop's solutions end up being as ordained, whereas Mooncrash allowed a lot of inventiveness

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

I'm 100% on board with leaving caches. Maybe not the cheaty-operator.

I kinda suspect that the game was designed or intended around not having any grindy/purchasable progression, where you complete each run stark naked with all neuromods unlocked and try to make it work from there - leaving stuff like the jetpack behind to those who need it most. Probably very honorable, and maybe got fudged a bit halfway through development as they found it too steep of a hill to climb without being able to gift yourself some pistol ammo and such.

All speculation of course, but it's an excellent take on the popular-at-the-time faux-roguelike fad and I'm glad Mooncrash exists.

I want to play or there to be a more hardcore mode without the buying yourself stuff, I'm constitutionally incapable of not using advantages available to me, need the game to dangle them out of reach.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I like a lot about Deathloop but wish it was closer to Mooncrash in a lot of ways. It was disappointing how much of Deathloop's solutions end up being as ordained, whereas Mooncrash allowed a lot of inventiveness

It was a lil insulting how they just made a fairly easy puzzle mystery to piece together... but then also denied you the chance to piece anything together, the game tells you in exposition and mission logs exactly what to do, when, and why, like, that'd be great "help me" option for people who somehow got to the end without learning anything, but for anyone else playing it's just a weird way to suck the wind out of its own sails. The game also would've been better as you said if you could achieve the "winning" circumstances through more than one combination of events, especially since one of your timeslots in a final run feels kind of wasted on one specific thing killing egon or whatever the scientist sniper guy was. The existence of that mission always made it feel a bit filler and like there was wiggle room for events to be reshuffled to similar ends.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

For the cost of $20 that was a blast and maybe one of the better dollar per hour of fun purchases in a while. I have no idea what to play now. Hot drat. So good.

It really lived up to the name by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I went kind of backwards with Deathloop being the first Arkane game i’ve finished. I went back and played through both Dishonored games and currently working on Death of the Outsider and am kind of shocked by how good they are since they seem quite underrated. I’ll start up Prey soon enough…