Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pulcinella posted:

Funny tech thing that I remember (and have remembered before so sorry for reusing content): The web was supposed to be for sharing scientific information, now it is literally everything but that. You can find pages that are using WebGl to implement a path traced rendering engine, banking and commerce sites, Jira pages taking up several GB of memory, but scientific papers are still just PDFs.

they also don't share them because holy poo poo academia loves hiding everything behind a paywall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Pulcinella posted:

Funny tech thing that I remember (and have remembered before so sorry for reusing content): The web was supposed to be for sharing scientific information, now it is literally everything but that. You can find pages that are using WebGl to implement a path traced rendering engine, banking and commerce sites, Jira pages taking up several GB of memory, but scientific papers are still just PDFs.

Jupyter and Colab are pretty solid advancements in sharing scientific data

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sweevo posted:

they also don't share them because holy poo poo academia loves hiding everything behind a paywall

no they don't

academic publishers sure do though

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sweevo posted:

many of them hate it (you have to pay the journal to publish it, lol) but publishing in high impact journals is nearly always required to get a tenure track job and get tenure

most tenured profs dgaf, fygm

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jabor posted:

no they don't

academic publishers sure do though

relx pays a nice dividend, though.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

academia is giga turbo hosed. you need to publish or get fired and you need grants or you get fired. you have to spend 80% of your time chasing grants which means you have nothing to write about unless you use your grants to hire an RA to do your academic studies for you. they are trying to get your job unless your job is terrible and they are the ones doing your job. you have to pay journals to publish in in them, not the other way around. you have to pay to present your work at conferences, not the other way around. to win a grant you need to demonstrate to the board that you don't need the money because if you're dependent on getting the grant that means the project is too risky. to get published you need to demonstrate that your work is not too different to anyone else and not too useful for too many different folks, it has to be the very next tiny step forward, and it has to be a positive result, no-one is interested in publishing negative results. if you were to cynically design a system to utterly paralyse the most dedicated, passionate and learned thinkers on any subject, i don't think you could do a much better job.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

academia is giga turbo hosed. you need to publish or get fired and you need grants or you get fired. you have to spend 80% of your time chasing grants which means you have nothing to write about unless you use your grants to hire an RA to do your academic studies for you. they are trying to get your job unless your job is terrible and they are the ones doing your job. you have to pay journals to publish in in them, not the other way around. you have to pay to present your work at conferences, not the other way around. to win a grant you need to demonstrate to the board that you don't need the money because if you're dependent on getting the grant that means the project is too risky. to get published you need to demonstrate that your work is not too different to anyone else and not too useful for too many different folks, it has to be the very next tiny step forward, and it has to be a positive result, no-one is interested in publishing negative results. if you were to cynically design a system to utterly paralyse the most dedicated, passionate and learned thinkers on any subject, i don't think you could do a much better job.

i thought you had it made with the groundbreaking discovery of how a nuclear reactor can just be a web page.
there’s got to be at least 4 articles on the subject that you can write with your 3 co-authors

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

4lokos basilisk posted:

i thought you had it made with the groundbreaking discovery of how a nuclear reactor can just be a web page.
there’s got to be at least 4 articles on the subject that you can write with your 3 co-authors

aww thanks man, it's so nice when people remember your jokes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

chaosbreather posted:

it is very stupid that the most important, singularly universal ui platform doesn't let you use all the buttons. i really think web browsers need more of a split between 'web site' and 'web app'.

the proper solution is to throw as many roadblocks in the way of web “apps” as possible so people give up on that bullshit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pulcinella posted:

this is the web working though

oh no the thing for sharing documents is being used to share documents oh no

of course there are idiots who decide that the proper solution is bullshit like writing a PDF renderer in JavaScript atop Canvas and gently caress everything about that

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

chaosbreather posted:

I've never understood people's desire to work in academia when there are this many hoops to jump through. Is a tenured position *that* good?

Armauk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 5, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Armauk posted:

I've never understood people's desire to work in academia when there are many this hoops to jump through. Is a tenured position *that* good?

scientific reasearch is actually really great, it's just that everything else about academia sucks so much. the kick of actually discovering something new, or analyzing data that no one has ever looked at before is highly addictive.

I got a PhD, did a postdoc for three years and then realized that I was burnt out, very depressed, very lonely and needed to get out.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

The number of senior faculty I've met who don't advise students nor teach nor publish suggests that if you can get that full professorship then it's very good indeed

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

If there is a paper you really want to read but it's paywalled, there is a good chance of getting a copy if you contact the authors with a good reason for wanting to read it.

I used to room with a few physics PhD candidates and one of them had some complex thoughts on the academia paywall problem. Mostly they speculated if it was all freely available then the not insignificant hosting fees would 100% be taken from the already slim research grant supply. If we lived in a better world this wouldn't be an issue because scientific research would have a lot more funding.

Everyone of them would get insane emails and physical letters regularly, because every crackpot in the country apparently just loves trying to get anyone, in any physics department, to support their latest free energy machine.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Armauk posted:

I've never understood people's desire to work in academia when there are many this hoops to jump through. Is a tenured position *that* good?

there are parts in this very good talk that answer your question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zDuOPkMSw

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Manzoon posted:

If there is a paper you really want to read but it's paywalled, there is a good chance of getting a copy if you contact the authors with a good reason for wanting to read it.

I used to room with a few physics PhD candidates and one of them had some complex thoughts on the academia paywall problem. Mostly they speculated if it was all freely available then the not insignificant hosting fees would 100% be taken from the already slim research grant supply. If we lived in a better world this wouldn't be an issue because scientific research would have a lot more funding.

Everyone of them would get insane emails and physical letters regularly, because every crackpot in the country apparently just loves trying to get anyone, in any physics department, to support their latest free energy machine.

hosting fees? fuckin arxiv exists and runs on like a half million a year

also sci hub lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

how does the internet archive pay for hosting

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

polyester concept posted:

how does the internet archive pay for hosting

according to Wikipedia:

quote:

In 2003, it had an annual budget of $10 million, derived from revenue from its Web crawling services, various partnerships, grants, donations, and the Kahle-Austin Foundation

I've donated to them a few times - the Wayback Machine has saved me on more than one occasion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Armauk posted:

I've never understood people's desire to work in academia when there are this many hoops to jump through. Is a tenured position *that* good?

finance profs get paid a lot of loving money. that's why i'm in academia.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

chaosbreather posted:

holy poo poo i remember taskbar, man that was weird poo poo

https://rockthetaskbar.ytmnd.com/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
wait the internet archive gets revenue from web crawling services? Like they get paid to have bots surf the web?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hed posted:

wait the internet archive gets revenue from web crawling services? Like they get paid to have bots surf the web?

may be some places paying to get their sites snapshotted by wayback machine. a hook to trigger a snapshot and suitable archive download etc.

at least it seems a sensible enough service to pay a bit for if you need some kind of record of a messy thing you'd have to otherwise build something bespoke for.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Armauk posted:

tenured positions are amazing so because of that most unis don’t do them any more. my mate has been on one year contracts with her uni for like 15 years, which is illegal in any industry but academia here. firing her would cost them a buttload and she makes them a poo poo ton of money. she has to spend most of her time trying to figure out a funding source for her contracts, and the remainder to try and get the faculty to give her a permanent role, and her personal time on her actual projects. that has succeeded but they now have to open that role up for competition. if she doesn’t get it it won’t be the first time someone else has walked into a position she spent time creating and funding. shits hosed.

but at least she’s not working for a big four, I guess

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"tenure" is basically the point where you stop worrying about where the money's gonna come from and can focus entirely on the actual research that got you interested in your field in the first place

so it makes sense that it's going away, can't have people being too productive

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jabor posted:

"tenure" is basically the point where you stop worrying about where the money's gonna come from and can focus entirely on the actual research that got you interested in your field in the first place

so it makes sense that it's going away, can't have people being too productive

it is truly one of the most insanely self-sabotaging, wasteful systems you could imagine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the paying people to do the thing they want to do anyway, when the thing happens to enrich the world a bit, is v. good though. only we need a world order where that can be done in way more areas and without a long time of performative hardship.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

tile based rendering

powervr

in every iphone and arm mac lol

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

in a well actually posted:

tile based rendering

powervr

in every iphone and arm mac lol

supposedly they're finally embracing open source and the next round of powervr gear will finally be able to run on a mainline kernel

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pulcinella posted:

i love you pdfs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

axolotl farmer posted:

scientific reasearch is actually really great, it's just that everything else about academia sucks so much. the kick of actually discovering something new, or analyzing data that no one has ever looked at before is highly addictive.

I got a PhD, did a postdoc for three years and then realized that I was burnt out, very depressed, very lonely and needed to get out.

i'd love to do science research stuff as a job every day but lol i got bills to pay

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
so youre a...pdf-phile?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he’s actually an epubifile it’s a subtle difference

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

echinopsis posted:

lmao holy gently caress

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

echinopsis posted:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

:eyepoop: lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

echinopsis posted:

lmfao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a slightly more mature format, though it's still on the bleeding edge

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

echinopsis posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

:drat: