Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

davecrazy posted:

Lots of "Yankees" fans are digging out the Met had they had stashed in the back of their closet since 2015.

this explains the Joey Gallo boos at Citi Field. They outed themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't care that the Yankees are strugg a ling
In fact I'm laughing, very hard

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anubis posted:

Slightly concerning, maybe? But concerning to the point where you're calling for the heads of the GM and manager who put together the team who were capable of chasing the single season win record through July? Have a little optimism.

We are calling for them to be fired because they have put the same team with the same issues out for years and years now, when it’s obviously not working.

Either you are trolling or are just choosing to ignore the points people are explaining to you. At least you dropped the stupid ‘Mets jealousy’ thing.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Wish I had a first place team to get mad at and demand the GM be fired

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

You don't root for a team that has the expectations of winning the world series every year that hasn't won the world series for 13 years. The just not the reality of baseball to judge the Yankees on the same scale as lovely franchises that never win anything.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Oh I’ve definitely seen some fans on Twitter calling for Zaidi to be canned this year. Not the same volume of course.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

mcmagic posted:

The just not the reality of baseball to judge the Yankees on the same scale as lovely franchises that never win anything.

yankeesfan.post

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

You don't root for a team that has the expectations of winning the world series every year that hasn't won the world series for 13 years. The just not the reality of baseball to judge the Yankees on the same scale as lovely franchises that never win anything.

Example of why lots of folks hate Yankee fans. C'mon man

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Winning hearts and minds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
they hate us cause they aint us

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

Example of why lots of folks hate Yankee fans. C'mon man

OK but it's true. The Yankees literally say this.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I googled a quote from Brian Cashman or Hal saying not to compare the Yankees to "lovely franchises that never win anything" and wow, I couldn't find it!!!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It doesn't seem wild to me to say that the Yankees' play is particularly frustrating in light of the expectation that they should be better. After all, the Dodgers have given us an example of just how good an equivalently-resourced team can be.

Still might hold off on the "lovely franchises that never win anything" bit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Point is nobody cares that your #1 team is not #1 enough for your liking. Welcome to being a sports fan, sometimes your team is bad.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mcmagic posted:

Dude's a fan of the Giants, the "lovely franchise" that has won 3 rings in those 13 years lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s certainly something to be said for failed expectations or getting over the hump. But the way you frame it can once again show that it’s really just about a sense of superiority over everyone else. That’s why some fans are so mad. They’re used to laughing at the other teams and don’t like the feeling of it coming back on them.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Popete posted:

Point is nobody cares that your #1 team is not #1 enough for your liking. Welcome to being a sports fan, sometimes your team is consistently good but doesn't annually win the small sample size crapshoot big one

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/NYMetsChief/status/1566529730152730624

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Oh yeah the Yankees losing is delightful and I hope to continue enjoying it all the way until the Orioles pass them in the last week of the season. But it's not like the fans are being incoherent or incomprehensible when they're upset.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think baseball today will allow for what the Yankees did in the past where they just won every year cause no one else was even close to being as talented as them. The past 10 years of Dodgers dominance is basically the best you can hope for your team to be and they've won a grand total of 1 World Series.

Play offs are a crap shoot, if your team is consistently making it to the DS/CS you're sitting pretty good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I think great teams will still come along and still do. The Dodgers are having a very strong run. But the way the playoffs have expanded and are managed has definitely made it a lot harder and made things more of a crapshoot. In particular the “throw it all at the wall” approach to managing the pitching staffs makes for some really unpredictable matchups and victories for shorter staffs but it also runs the risk of burning out some potential dynasty arms on one or two playoff runs.

But yeah. Discounting that your team keeps getting to the playoffs because they lose a short series is not only an impractical and myopic viewpoint but it feels like a miserable way to follow a team.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just think advanced analytics means that even the worst teams in the league are competitive day to day. The Yankees stomping on everybody year over year was more an artifact of it's time. Once you reach the play offs every team has a decent shot at winning, one team usually doesn't just roll through easily and as we've seen even if they do it's very difficult to repeat that year over year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Popete posted:

Point is nobody cares that your #1 team is not #1 enough for your liking. Welcome to being a sports fan, sometimes your team is bad.

A bunch of people in here obviously care enough to get riled up over mcmagic saying it with an air of superiority. 🤷

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The first time a division winner gets bounced in a 3-game series will be glorious

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Literally thousands of people are saying this.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

The first time a division winner gets bounced in a 3-game series will be glorious

The AL Central winner will almost certainly have a worse record than the third wild card this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Astros did it to the Twins in 2020 :v:

I know that doesn't count quite as much because it was the covid season

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We really should be talking about the biggest meltdown since the trade deadline, the Milwaukee Brewers.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Popete posted:

We really should be talking about the biggest meltdown since the trade deadline, the Milwaukee Brewers.

All without Hader blowing every save.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Popete posted:

I just think advanced analytics means that even the worst teams in the league are competitive day to day. The Yankees stomping on everybody year over year was more an artifact of it's time. Once you reach the play offs every team has a decent shot at winning, one team usually doesn't just roll through easily and as we've seen even if they do it's very difficult to repeat that year over year.

So what you are saying is, that it's always going to be miserable to be a Yankees fan because that many rings will never come again?

I love baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

At some point I remember people posting from somewhere with line graphs that show a team's division and/or playoff chances through the course of the season, does anyone remember what that was from?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Hand Knit posted:

The AL Central winner will almost certainly have a worse record than the third wild card this year.

Cleveland is currently in 1st place in the AL central. Their record wouldn’t even be good enough for 2nd place in ANY of the other 5 divisions.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

GPTribefan posted:

Cleveland is currently in 1st place in the AL central. Their record wouldn’t even be good enough for 2nd place in ANY of the other 5 divisions.

They would be 5th in the AL East

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Remember in 2015 when the 2nd and 3rd best records in the entire MLB had to play each other in the Wild Card game?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

So what you are saying is, that it's always going to be miserable to be a Yankees fan because that many rings will never come again?

I love baseball
20 of their 27 came before the first Draft in 1965, so really they’ve been coasting on the past for a long time

Intruder posted:

At some point I remember people posting from somewhere with line graphs that show a team's division and/or playoff chances through the course of the season, does anyone remember what that was from?
Playoff Odds graphs on Fangraphs have all kinds of stats to display

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds-graphs?lg=AL&div=E&stat=div&year=2022

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 5, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bawfuls posted:

20 of their 27 came before the first Draft in 1965, so really they’ve been coasting on the past for a long time

Isn't that still a couple more than any other team?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yes a couple more than anyone else over the same period, not 16 more than the next closest

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 5, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Wanted a visualization and.... ooof

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

mcmagic posted:

Bah gawd, that's Patriot's Fans music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boone is the first Yankee manager ever to get a 5th year after not winning the World Series in the first 4. They operate like they are trying to win the series every year. That’s my point. And they should have the resources to do that.