Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

i mean, "what is art" is one of the most basic and enduring questions of human endeavor. i'm tempted to say "art is when the artist's intention is to create art", but i feel like that's inadequate and smarmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yeah, imo there's no real definition. i think if you find it aesthetically pleasing in some way, it captures your attention, and someone put a modicum of work into making it: thats "art"

trying to objectively score something on a subjective metric never ends well

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i've always said that photography is an artistic pursuit that doesn't necessarily always create art. there are photographs that are very cold, clinical, documentary things, like when i took pictures of gigantic av drawings with my slr because i knew my phone wasn't going to cut it and they were too big for the copier. those photos are not art. but because of my experience with the artistic medium and all the time and effort i had put into the hobby as an artistic pursuit, i had the tools and skill to do the thing and have it be good.

it'd be like if a hobbyist painter needed to make a sign for a yard sale and didn't put any embellishments on it or something. not quite a perfect analogy but whatever.

i'd have to imagine that there are other places where you can draw lines like that, but it's so subjective and so up for interpretation, that it's probably not really worth trying to blanket categorize. plus,

PokeJoe posted:

post a photo and ill tell you if its art or not
i mean we have a volunteer arbiter and everything now, so we're good to go!

Beeftweeter posted:

nggghf. orb:

i like this orb. the art department here has one of the early sculpture classes that goes through a unit each term where the class seems to be told "glue some trash together" and i laugh at it a lot, but i think the reason i laugh at it is because they really don't have the fundamentals in place by that point in the term to make that trash look like something that isn't glued-together trash.

i don't know what mrs beeftweeter's orbjet d'art looks like as a physical 3d object (i am sure it is wonderful!), but i do know that the photo of it is a delight, and it's making me wonder if maybe it would be a fun exercise for the art students to have to make a 3d sculpture and then take pictures of it. we don't do photography AT ALL here at this university anymore, not educationally, so i doubt that would be high on anyone's list

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 1, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lmao yeah she's a MFA so she's constantly making poo poo like this. it's literally just a plastic ball with some string lights stuffed into it, and i soldered a battery compartment onto it for her. then she tied a ribbon to that and just hung it off the wall

i bracketed the exposures to try and stack them but since it's a poo poo ton of bright lights it wasn't really possible to align them properly, and trying to automate it just failed miserably. i'm on my ipad right now which seems to have an issue reading panasonic raws in ios 16 (there's basically no contrast), but maybe this'll give you a better idea of what it is:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

are technical documents art? no, but they can be if I think they are

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
seems like most people get tripped up on whether or not the art is good when they're trying to define art

imo anything a human being intentionally created is art because it reflects their intentions, imperfect execution, and stylistic choices

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my posts are art

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

seems like most people get tripped up on whether or not the art is good when they're trying to define art

:hmmyes:

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i have a tektronix 317 oscilloscope and its manual, and the manual has fold out pages for the schematics of all the different circuits in the box. i think that is absolutely beautiful and that it's an absolute accomplishment of labor and effort and i hope that whatever engineer drew them out was very proud of their work

personally, i would not normally call those pages art, but drat if sitting here thinking about the schematics doesn't link me to some of the same feelings i get looking at things i *would* call art. i find myself thinking that human creation is worthy of consideration and appreciation independent of what label it gets.

humanity is complicated.

here's a jpeg

i made this by abusing wide angle and close focus. 14mm, wide open f2.8.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imo design isn’t art because the purpose for doing it originates outside the creator’s intent, ie the oscilloscope company needs documentation and the person who draws oscilloscope diagrams needs to eat so they take the job

one of the reasons I like photography so much as a hobby is that I can’t conflate it with what I do for a living, I have dozens of not hundreds of incomplete personal design projects from the last 25 years because when it’s my free time the last thing I want to do is some adobe poo poo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

by sebmojo

qirex posted:

imo design isn’t art because the purpose for doing it originates outside the creator’s intent, ie the oscilloscope company needs documentation and the person who draws oscilloscope diagrams needs to eat so they take the job

one of the reasons I like photography so much as a hobby is that I can’t conflate it with what I do for a living, I have dozens of not hundreds of incomplete personal design projects from the last 25 years because when it’s my free time the last thing I want to do is some adobe poo poo

the definition of artist is one of those weird moments where i actually agree with robert heinlein.

he said something along the lines of art being a work where the artist tries to make the audience feel the same way as the artist, as a message in a bottle to communicate with more people about something the artist feels.

i don't think that's a bad definition.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i built this table to give to a friend of mine. is this art?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it glows in the dark. it also folds flat for storage. you can see by the many screw holes I hosed it up a few times

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah it says art right there

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah it says art right there

Better yet, it says "F Art", which if I understand my artist friends correctly is what a lot of art is trying to say.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

thanks folks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

see how easy that was echi?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is art :

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
art made on my phone

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this is art :

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

this is art :

the size of those honkers!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

f art

DO NOT ENTER PRODUCTION IN PROGRESS

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

this is art :

yes it is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pokéjoe is your birthday sunday or monday

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

meh it doesn't matter have a good one anyway

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's Wednesday :twisted:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

thanks!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:cheers:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Beeftweeter posted:

meh it doesn't matter have a good one anyway

I’m sad now because I took my kid to Disneyland on his birthday, and when we got into the park I realized my lens was broken. Welp… one less impediment to impulse buying a new system!

had to settle for the iPhone camera, which just lacks some je ne sais quois

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 4, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is canon america

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

this is canon america

No, Sony makes the iphone camera sensors, not canon.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i found this playlist in the grey forums and watched the first class, and it is actually a way better reference than the photography class i watched when i was first starting to get into photographing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HrM-fk_Rc

even in the first lesson there's way more information about the consequences of how light works than I expected. Any of y'all who are still interested in learning the basics should check it out. I don't have a lot of time to attentively watch stuff but i'm going to keep going

theres some really cool geometry and good lines in here. For some reason though my eyes kept wanting to like clamber up/down and off the page to get more context? I am 100% pulling this out of my rear end, but I think that my eyes aren't staying in the frame because they can tell that I am looking at a building and want to know more about it; but if I rotate it 90 degrees clockwise I find that my eyes stay in frame and just appreciate the good shapes and lines and textures.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

I’m sad now because I took my kid to Disneyland on his birthday, and when we got into the park I realized my lens was broken. Welp… one less impediment to impulse buying a new system!

had to settle for the iPhone camera, which just lacks some je ne sais quois

they're actually really good for using your phone

i tried to look for any electric light parade pics i had but it seems i somehow also only used my iphone (5!), sorry queasykid :smith:

maybe this is a nice consolation prize?

beautiful flowers! wanna stick a lens right up in em (wow that sounds weird)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

real nice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

flower shots are usually pretty bad but that looks real good

orb photo looks like a render :eyepop:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

from mrs

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i really like the texture on these flowers, and the color turned out really complementary to it

Beeftweeter posted:

f art

DO NOT ENTER PRODUCTION IN PROGRESS

i really like this too, it reminds me of a frame from many years ago that i took of a fire alarm fixture. i should see if i can find it.

meanwhile, since the thread said the word stacking, i wanted to try it and went back to the oooorrb (partly because i wanted to get a sense for exposure with a polarizer and ND filters to help keep glass wide open) to get a stack of thin dof frames

i didn’t feel like i needed to augment the colors too much, partly because i went late and there was only so much i could do to keep the afternoon sun vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nurrwick posted:

i really like the texture on these flowers, and the color turned out really complementary to it

i really like this too, it reminds me of a frame from many years ago that i took of a fire alarm fixture. i should see if i can find it.

meanwhile, since the thread said the word stacking, i wanted to try it and went back to the oooorrb (partly because i wanted to get a sense for exposure with a polarizer and ND filters to help keep glass wide open) to get a stack of thin dof frames

i didn’t feel like i needed to augment the colors too much, partly because i went late and there was only so much i could do to keep the afternoon sun vibe

oh gently caress thats nice orb

nailed it. no notes. except...

...it seems we have pretty similar ideas, lol