Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Guillermo getting to be a vampire will be this show's jumping the shark, should it ever happen, but which for various reasons it shall not.
There's roughly one season's worth of jokes to mine there, so if they don't save it for the finale, I wouldn't mind it being undone mystically after a season or for it to be the last season's ongoing story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I liked the subtle joke about gay guys basically dating clones of themself. The term is doppelbangers, hilariously :allears:

.... alright, I wasn't previously aware of that being a thing. That's pretty funny, I'll give the show that.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I thought maybe they were keeping the loser vampire in the show so at some point gizmo could be offered vampirism from someone else and turn it down. but idk now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CoolCab posted:

I thought maybe they were keeping the loser vampire in the show so at some point gizmo could be offered vampirism from someone else and turn it down. but idk now.

I’d like to see more Derek, he’d be a fun character to explore more deeply.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

There's roughly one season's worth of jokes to mine there, so if they don't save it for the finale, I wouldn't mind it being undone mystically after a season or for it to be the last season's ongoing story.

Keep an eye on whether Nandor saves his last wish for something along these lines.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CoolCab posted:

i'm gonna guess the british twink has some shady poo poo going on. they repeatedly set up this season that nandor has incredibly valuable artifacts in his home worth a ton of money, an art dealer turns up at a place he isn't supposed by following a return addreess and oh gee whizz immediately takes a liking to nandor? something fishy imo.

I just kinda assumed off camera Nandor did some glamouring to make the colonizer be smitten with him.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

i'm gonna guess the british twink has some shady poo poo going on. they repeatedly set up this season that nandor has incredibly valuable artifacts in his home worth a ton of money, an art dealer turns up at a place he isn't supposed by following a return addreess and oh gee whizz immediately takes a liking to nandor? something fishy imo.

I would say you were onto something but it would be weird if they played the "ridiculously elaborate con for the sake of burglary" card again so soon.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I don't think Guillermo can become a vampire due to his family lineage, and that will be a big reveal near the end of the show.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Superrodan posted:

I don't think Guillermo can become a vampire due to his family lineage, and that will be a big reveal near the end of the show.

Yeah I’ve been wondering about this too, maybe it just won’t take. However Guillermo has had a different reaction to vampires than others with slayer blood (like his family) so who knows? Or maybe it’s worn off over time like the vampires’ ability to hypnotize him?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Being a Vampire Hunter seems to give you low level superpowers anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bobjr posted:

Being a Vampire Hunter seems to give you low level superpowers anyway.

It'd probably be a really really bad idea to turn him into a vampire and double up his powers

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Life as a Vampire Hunter Vampire:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I've been struggling to get through this latest season. Honestly, I think the show got worse when they made the Staten Island crew important in vampire circles. They should just have left them as morons with inflated opinions of themselves rather than give them power. Kind of like "It's Always Sunny" but with Vampires. I would have been happy to see a show that let them continue to clash with the Werewolf Support Group or Simon the Devious' crew and Mister Fifties (which is a gag I will always laugh at because he's such a goofy non sequitur of a character).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There are two wishes left, right?

I expect there to be some kind of big emotional scene between Guillermo and Nandor where those wishes come into play in a big way.

Absolutely baseless speculation: what if the wish does something to upset the power balance of the house? Something like Guillermo becomes a vampire and Nandor becomes human again, working as Gizmo's familiar?

Then we could see if those two actually enjoy getting what they think they wanted most.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Would laugh a lot if Nandor just forgot he had two wishes left, to the point that he flat out tells people with utter confidence that they're crazy or he has no idea what they're talking about if they ever bring it up as an option.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Would laugh a lot if Nandor just forgot he had two wishes left, to the point that he flat out tells people with utter confidence that they're crazy or he has no idea what they're talking about if they ever bring it up as an option.

<cut to Djinn looking over glasses at the camera>

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

<cut to Djinn looking over glasses at the camera>

Guillermo: Did he make a wish to forget you existed?
Djinn: :hmmno:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

I've been struggling to get through this latest season. Honestly, I think the show got worse when they made the Staten Island crew important in vampire circles. They should just have left them as morons with inflated opinions of themselves rather than give them power. Kind of like "It's Always Sunny" but with Vampires. I would have been happy to see a show that let them continue to clash with the Werewolf Support Group or Simon the Devious' crew and Mister Fifties (which is a gag I will always laugh at because he's such a goofy non sequitur of a character).

Pretty much. It didn't bother me at first last season, but as time went on, not really much was happening. And even when good stuff happens, they build up this big thing with the Sire of all vampires, and then when he actually shows up, they don't really do anything with him, he's just treated as just another monster of the week before fading into non relevance. Then this season, Nadja decides she wants to do a vampire nightclub and I'm like...okay? When the gently caress has she ever given a poo poo about anything like that? It's almost like the writers realized what a bad idea it was when they shut it down at the end there anyway. And there's still stuff they could build up on and use that's interesting and hilarious at the same time. Like the LARPer vampire girl who if her lack of screentime is any indication, did use her invisibility power for good and just vanished completely from the earth without a trace. Or Craig Robinson's group of wannabe vampire hunters. Nope, nothing.

Don't get me wrong, this show is still good enough to get me interested enough to turn it on every week, but ever since Jemaine and Taika left the writer's room, it's a coin flip on whether it'll be balls out funny like it used to be or just eh.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Shitenshi posted:

ever since Jemaine and Taika left the writer's room, it's a coin flip on whether it'll be balls out funny like it used to be or just eh.

Oh wow, is this what happened? It's still a great show but I've definitely noticed a decline in quality. :(

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

god FINALLY Guillermo, I love that he stole all their loving money :lmao:

Also I felt bad for Laszlo, he looked so sad that Colin Robinson didn’t remember him raising him from a baby :(

Also I love Matt Berry’s voice :allears:

🎶 it’s not my fault, you stupid motherfuckers it’s yours!
It’s not my fault, you thick pieces of poo poo, it’s yours! 🎵

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Shitenshi posted:

Pretty much. It didn't bother me at first last season, but as time went on, not really much was happening. And even when good stuff happens, they build up this big thing with the Sire of all vampires, and then when he actually shows up, they don't really do anything with him, he's just treated as just another monster of the week before fading into non relevance. Then this season, Nadja decides she wants to do a vampire nightclub and I'm like...okay? When the gently caress has she ever given a poo poo about anything like that? It's almost like the writers realized what a bad idea it was when they shut it down at the end there anyway. And there's still stuff they could build up on and use that's interesting and hilarious at the same time. Like the LARPer vampire girl who if her lack of screentime is any indication, did use her invisibility power for good and just vanished completely from the earth without a trace. Or Craig Robinson's group of wannabe vampire hunters. Nope, nothing.

Don't get me wrong, this show is still good enough to get me interested enough to turn it on every week, but ever since Jemaine and Taika left the writer's room, it's a coin flip on whether it'll be balls out funny like it used to be or just eh.

Yeah, they leave a lot of dangling threads with stories and characters who could lead to good episodes. I mean, I'm always happy that they find a way to sneak Simon the Devious and his crew into seasons, but they just abandon a lot of others. I agree, I would like to see to see the LARPer vamp back because she was funny. I'm honestly surprised that they brought Derek back for multiple episodes given how many other side characters get tossed to the side (and they still did fuckall with him).

What attracted me to the movie and the TV show was taking these monsters and showing them going through the banality of everyday life, like dealing with chores, finding victims to feed on while avoiding the police, roommate clashes, and adjusting to modern life. That's also what I loved about Colin, and what I'm missing from this season. His "energy vampire" escapades were clever and some of the non-Matt Berry highlights of the show (because Matt Berry is funny in everything and anything he does). IMHO one of the best episodes of this season involved the gang trying to enroll "the boy" in school because of all the obstacles they keep running into (along with their stupidity). Give me more of that and less of Nadja building a nightclub or Nandor magically creating his perfect wife.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
NGL I'm disappointed with how they wrapped up the baby ColinRobinson storyline. The payoff to the blood sprinklers gag didn't really hit either, felt like they built it up too much.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I agree, I would like to see to see the LARPer vamp back because she was funny.

She was supposed to have a major role in season 2 but other filming commitments: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/mark-hamill-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-season-2-guest-star-1203462505/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I loved the Colin Robinson storyline from start to finish, even the bittersweet (mostly bitter) ending. A lot of the other stuff this season fell flat for me though, unless Sean was involved (Seanie!)

Guillermo overpaid on becoming a vampire, Derek probably would have done it for free (did you forget you saved his life?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I enjoyed the season and the middle section I felt was excellent, but the final episode fell kind of flat for me. Some good moments in there but the payoff didn't really resonate with me. Still a great show, and I'm keen to see what happens from that final scene, but this is the first season I've felt wasn't greater than the sum of its parts.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mostly agree with those sentiments. This is a fun and good show that's prevented from being great by their reluctance to stick to any change they promise. There could be something to that being immortal leads to an arrested development, but the resets are hard and aren't clever enough to stick that landing.

It's just weird to me that after the setup of last season they opted to trash those threads in favor of the djinn and night club plot lines. Suppose there's no way they could afford to have their main cast separated and in multiple countries, but there was plenty to explore with Nandor finding himself and the others in London.

Lazlo raising Colin was cute. What a loving dumb choice to have him forget all of it. Can't fathom why they did that, it's not like he couldn't return with that relationship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shitenshi posted:

I don’t think Taika and Jermaine were really involved in the writing aside from the pilot? Jermaine’s directed a few, and they’ve both cameoed in episodes, and while they’re both listed as execs, I think their involvement is really minimal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My memory is that Taika stopped being actively involved after s1 and Jemaine after 2 (I think he was the showrunner before then)

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Jermaine was on the writing staff and left before season 3: https://movieweb.com/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-season-3-jemaine-clement/ [just the first Google result I found]

coincidentally he left at the exact point that the show’s writing became tremendously weaker

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

One day people will call him by his actual name and not "Jermaine."

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
whatever

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Autocorrect makes it Jermaine

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ah, that makes sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Give Derek more plot then, he’s a potentially very interesting vein to suck on.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

HOLY gently caress posted:

god FINALLY Guillermo, I love that he stole all their loving money :lmao:

Also I felt bad for Laszlo, he looked so sad that Colin Robinson didn’t remember him raising him from a baby :(

Also I love Matt Berry’s voice :allears:

🎶 it’s not my fault, you stupid motherfuckers it’s yours!
It’s not my fault, you thick pieces of poo poo, it’s yours! 🎵

I thought maybe he was lying to Lazlo so he could feed on his sadness. What was Colinrobinson whistling as he walked away?

Hopefully Berry will release a WWDITS ep via Acid Jazz, really want a full version of There Is A Giant Bird Stealing My Brothers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

WonkyBob posted:

I thought maybe he was lying to Lazlo so he could feed on his sadness. What was Colinrobinson whistling as he walked away?

Hopefully Berry will release a WWDITS ep via Acid Jazz, really want a full version of There Is A Giant Bird Stealing My Brothers.

He was totally whistling one of the songs baby Colin used to sing, right?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

WonkyBob posted:

And Who Will Come First on the Wedding Night? and There Is A Girl in my Village with a Very Small Foot really need a full version released

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall I think this season was great, it was not quite up there with season 2, but it was close.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

WonkyBob posted:

Either way Laszlo’s sadness still got me :(

Also I love Nadja’s grim traditional songs and would love full versions too

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Kinda surprised by the complaints that nothing changed, since so much of that seemed to be the thematic point of the episode. The characters all losing everything and trying to miserably march forward through the status quo was hammered home a lot. Child Colin getting ego-deathed just like Marwa was also very intentionally unsettling. He was clearly starting to develop his own method of draining compared to Colin Robinson's banal methods. He could've been a different kind of vampire, only for the Status Quo to rear its head and force him to become what he doesn't want to be. Its a good build up to Guillermo's breaking point. Its all very melancholy in such a quietly depressing way. Sending it all off with Lazlo's rendition of Sunrise, Sunset really tugged on the heartstrings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i remember when this show used to make me burst out laughing six or seven times per episode; now it wants to be 'very melancholy in such a quietly depressing way'

great, thanks.