Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

should I be using Log In with Google everywhere it's available? I feel like I read somewhere it's more secure than having a username/password for each website individually

The real answer is that it depends. The main advantage of using Google (or Facebook or whatever really) is that all the random websites don't have your passwords, so when they inevitably get hacked, your password is unaffected. If you do the recommended thing and never reuse your password, it only matters for that specific site that you got hacked, and it's functionality the same as using Google login. If you live in the real world without a password manager, you're looking into getting other accounts with the same username/password compromised, so on that case using Google is probably a good strategy.

Plus gently caress remembering passwords, Google is much more secure against forgetting that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If your google account is your recovery email for the website, then google authentication is always more secure. In both cases, your google account is a point of failure. But, the website also storing your passwords introduces a second point of failure.

Also, people use weak passwords and reuse them a ton, and I think it's easier to ask them to make a secure unique password once than to do it for every website.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

butt dickus posted:

i had to take this while i was on prednisone and the package says not to take for more than 14 days every 4 months. is that safe to take daily? i used to have acid reflux when i was 20lbs overweight and when i lost that weight it stopped happening

It's habit forming so you can keep taking it, but you'll get dependent on it. I've been taking Famotidine (pepcid) daily for much the same reasons, but as it's an anti-histamine it's not habit forming so it's okay for continuous use. And I don't think it has a warm-up time like prilosec so it's easier to take as-needed

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are some risks associated with long-term omeprazole use but they all fall in the category of things you should pay attention to rather than things to be worried about.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Powered Descent posted:

But who knows, maybe hot fizzy drinks are the next big thing.
I had a hot stout at a brewery once and it was very good. This seems tough to google for since the hits are for things like spicy stouts or adding a stout to another hot drink or drinking a stout that's still a little colder than room temperature.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Does anyone have a link to that tweet with the Dr Breen speech from the beginning of Half Life 2 but it's dubbed over a massive Japanese anime girl talking billboard?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If I deposit foreign currency into my basic US bank account, will it get converted into USD at that time and added to the total, or will it be held as a separate total for that specific currency and not converted until I say so?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Badger of Basra posted:

If I deposit foreign currency into my basic US bank account, will it get converted into USD at that time and added to the total, or will it be held as a separate total for that specific currency and not converted until I say so?

Most banks aren't going to deal with converting your money, and they're not going to hold it for you in a standard deposit account. You could probably put the money in a safe deposit box or something like that, but they're not generally going to accept pounds sterling or euros for deposit. The ones that do are almost certainly going to convert the money at whatever their spot rate happens to be.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

Most banks will convert it (and charge you) before they deposit it. Separate "wallets" for different currencies is a new thing that's available with some online banks.

If a US bank can charge you for something, they will, in my experience.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a name for this fold? when you have a quilt you want to tuck under a bed, but if you just tuck the whole thing underneath it looks goofy at the corners. so i think that instead of tucking in the circled area, you bring it around and tuck it in the side?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Military corner. Sometimes also called a hotel corner or hospital corner.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Military corner. Sometimes also called a hotel corner or hospital corner.

you know i found that but it looks much different

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
also known as square corners

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

actionjackson posted:

you know i found that but it looks much different

I didn't look at your picture closely enough. Sorry, I don't know that one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's ok, I tried doing what i was thinking about and it seems to be the right idea at least

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone know how to write a good best man speech? I'm struggling.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

!Klams posted:

Standard template is:

Hello,
[Introduce yourself and how you know the person]
[Story about the person that reveals some quality about them]
[Something nice about the new partner]
[Well wishes for their future together]

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Also the drunker you are the better

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ultrafilter posted:

There are some risks associated with long-term omeprazole use but they all fall in the category of things you should pay attention to rather than things to be worried about.

This explains a few things that I have had happen to me this year that no one could diagnose. Don't think anyone ever checked my magnesium levels.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

!Klams posted:

No one has ever complained that a speech was too short.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If you're not funny don't try to be, aim for sincerity.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Do both teams comment on the broadcast during mlb games, or are they able to use different shots at the same time? Assuming mainly local and not a nationally broadcast game.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trapick posted:

If you're not funny don't try to be, aim for sincerity.

And for the love of god, stay away from inside jokes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Is there a scientific/geometry name for the shape you usually associate with nuclear plant cooling towers? A cylinder that flares wider at the ends?

Like how a doughnut is a "torus", that sort of term.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A hyperboloid.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Carillon posted:

Do both teams comment on the broadcast during mlb games, or are they able to use different shots at the same time? Assuming mainly local and not a nationally broadcast game.

There are separate producers and broadcasters for each team*. The producers choose which camera feeds to cut to at what times.

edit: *market be a better word

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And for the love of god, stay away from inside jokes.

Disagree. The main audience for the speech is the couple that asked you to give one, so if there’s something you feel they would appreciate throw it in. If you’re extra talented, you can slip one in without anyone else even noticing, or embed one into another story or joke that is entertaining enough on its own. Just don’t focus on it or pause for a laugh because you won’t get one.

I’ve given/listened to a bunch of wedding speeches, and the best ones are short (3-5 mins, def no more than 5) and personal. Tell stories like how you first met and when you first met the SO or when your friend first told you about the SO, but focus on your friend for these and not yourself. Those 2 plus intro and well wishes should take you to the 3 minute mark and be a great, appreciated speech. For bonus points, say something nice about the parents.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

dokmo posted:

No one has ever complained that a speech was too short.

This -- even 3 minutes is probably too long, you are not the star of the show here

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dr. Stab posted:

A hyperboloid.

You rock, thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What stops freezers from building up a layer of ice inside, the way they used to when I was a kid?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

regulargonzalez posted:

What stops freezers from building up a layer of ice inside, the way they used to when I was a kid?
https://www.thespruce.com/self-defrost-or-manual-defrost-freezer-1907755

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why did it become the convention for when giving your pronouns (in english at least) to say "he/him" "she/her" "they/them" instead of just he, she, they, etc? I guess it's possible someone could use he/her but I don't think I've ever encountered that

I want to say it "sounds normal" but it only sounds normal to me because we've all been doing it that way for years

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Badger of Basra posted:

why did it become the convention for when giving your pronouns (in english at least) to say "he/him" "she/her" "they/them" instead of just he, she, they, etc? I guess it's possible someone could use he/her but I don't think I've ever encountered that

The reason is for invented pronoun sets like "xe/xem", "ze/zim", "sie/hir", etc., where the object pronoun is not clear from the subject pronoun.

You are correct that "he, she, they" implies an object pronoun, but "xe, ze, sie" doesn't really.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Badger of Basra posted:

I want to say it "sounds normal" but it only sounds normal to me because we've all been doing it that way for years

Because giving pronouns started off in online spaces just being used for neopronoun stuff like "xe/xem" or "e/em" where a reader probably wouldn't know all the various cases.
And then eventually giving "he/him" or instead of saying "I'm a man" or "I use masculine pronouns" came as sort of an effect of that as a way to normalize the giving-neopronouns thing.

Originally they showed subject, object, and possessive cases so you would say "he/him/his" , "they/them/their" or "e/em/eir". No clue why they dropped the third one in popular usage though.

e:f;b

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It also has evolved to be used to designate multiple pronouns, as in he/they, or xe/she. And, to be clear, this doesn't mean to use those pronouns in that specific grammatical case, but rather that either complete set is appropriate. Often, people list the preferred set first, but that's not necessarily the case.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

And then eventually giving "he/him" or instead of saying "I'm a man" or "I use masculine pronouns" came as sort of an effect of that as a way to normalize the giving-neopronouns thing.

Also, putting "I'm a man" on your twitter profile sounds deranged.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He/she is rare, but he/they and she/they are relatively common.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What did the late Queen Elizabeth II's pronoun set look like?

Her Majesty/Her Majesty/Her Majesty's?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

What did the late Queen Elizabeth II's pronoun set look like?

Her Majesty/Her Majesty/Her Majesty's?

The "Royal We".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Twitter is rear end on browser (firefox). It's constantly shifting tweets. Is there a better way to deal with this or is this just how it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Alan Smithee posted:

Twitter is rear end on browser (firefox). It's constantly shifting tweets. Is there a better way to deal with this or is this just how it is

It's "the algorithm". You can try a third-party client, but it it won't have support for all of Twitter's features (usually polls and maybe group messages are missing).