Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I did enjoy how they referred to almost everyone by name or had them speak so you knew what famous person they were, except for Che Guevara who just sat there because everyone knows what Che loving Guevara looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they set up them reverting to ectoplasm or whatever and it never pays off. I was spitballing to a friend that maybe this would have been the main nightclub storyline if they didn't do the child act thing and this was vestigial.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CoolCab posted:

they set up them reverting to ectoplasm or whatever and it never pays off. I was spitballing to a friend that maybe this would have been the main nightclub storyline if they didn't do the child act thing and this was vestigial.

One Night Only at Nadja's: See history's greatest minds revived and told they will die in only a few hours, trapped on a stage they cannot escape! Revel in their panic and desperate pleading!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Paul F. Tompkins quietly reviving the Dead Authors Podcast in the background as a season-long arc.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Inkspot posted:

Paul F. Tompkins quietly reviving the Dead Authors Podcast in the background as a season-long arc.

I would kill you and anybody you've ever loved in this could happen

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 9, 2022

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Avasculous posted:

The Colin arc just lurched to the most obvious resolution in a drawn-out and unfunny way.

This is exactly what Colin Robinson would want

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Wasn't there a whole plot point last season of Colin Robinson not knowing how energy vampires come to be? Yet, somehow he knew to leave a map to his future destructive self? All to point him to a detailed journal that would have surely mentioned his previous re-incarnation. He wouldn't remember quickly aging through his childhood but I assume he would have mentioned that it happened. Like, technically he still doesn't know how he originally originally came to be but... what?

I'm beginning to think this comedy show about vampires and ghouls and hats made from a witch's anus isn't taking itself very seriously! Ultimately I don't really care because it was a fun way to wrap up that story. But either I missed something or they goofed a little.

triple sulk posted:

... also this would be the easiest explanation if they want to side-step things

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Maybe I'm just immature but when someone told the improve troupe to suck eachothers dicks I laughed so hard my stomach hurt, which doesn't happen often.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Caesar Saladin posted:

Maybe I'm just immature but when someone told the improve troupe to suck eachothers dicks I laughed so hard my stomach hurt, which doesn't happen often.

No that's the right answer, improv sucks and that was hilarious

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

Think of all the boring planning setting up the whole thing took! There had to be redundant ammo boxes with a single slide inside! Probably the entire wall is riddled with them!

Also, we have no idea of ColinRobinson's actual origins. How do you even make a new energy vampire? Deliciously unsatisfying.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

Suck each other's dicks in space!!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Also, we have no idea of ColinRobinson's actual origins. How do you even make a new energy vampire? Deliciously unsatisfying.

I mean, didn't he once say his mother had been around 100 years and still looked the same? Or something like that.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Caesar Saladin posted:

That should have been a command and a cutaway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Caesar Saladin posted:

Also be fair to the nightclub patrons, Nadja pretty much set that expectation when she hired her earlier act The Clown Who Can Suck His Own Dick

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
One way to get through my book queue is to be a vampire and dedicate 20 years to reading. Good plan.

Also Scott Joplin first was a surprise. I would have brought back art Tatum but the history panel is a weird choice. She could have done a veruz type battle throughout history

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Lazlo's 'It's not me it's you, you fucks' song is my spirit animal.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

paid money to post posted:

Wasn't there a whole plot point last season of Colin Robinson not knowing how energy vampires come to be? Yet, somehow he knew to leave a map to his future destructive self? All to point him to a detailed journal that would have surely mentioned his previous re-incarnation. He wouldn't remember quickly aging through his childhood but I assume he would have mentioned that it happened. Like, technically he still doesn't know how he originally originally came to be but... what?

I'm beginning to think this comedy show about vampires and ghouls and hats made from a witch's anus isn't taking itself very seriously! Ultimately I don't really care because it was a fun way to wrap up that story. But either I missed something or they goofed a little.

... also this would be the easiest explanation if they want to side-step things

I take it to mean he doesnt know how he came to be an energy vampire. He probably only realized that he "dies" every so often after his first life and on his second he started doing his recording.

My theory is that none of them were ever bitten by a vampire they are just so boring that they slowly turn into energy vampires. If Lazlo hadnt been bitten by an actual vampire he would have turned into an energy vampire too. Except he would feed off lust and sex

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 10, 2022

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t Colin Robinson knows he died at all, I think he just keeps diaries for the pedantry of it. It all just happened to work out for him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I guess they implication may be that Colin's family only recently became energy vampires then, since his grandma is dead-dead. Have we heard about his parents? I can't remember. Might've started with them, or maybe Colin's the only one

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Nerdietalk posted:

I don’t Colin Robinson knows he died at all, I think he just keeps diaries for the pedantry of it. It all just happened to work out for him.

That's what I thought too, but then the whole "clues to a secret room" thing doesn't make as much sense.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I guess they implication may be that Colin's family only recently became energy vampires then, since his grandma is dead-dead. Have we heard about his parents? I can't remember. Might've started with them, or maybe Colin's the only one

I think he mentions early last season that he could ask his mom about it but he finds her tedious.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I've been thinking a lot about this show since I really enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2, but have been slowly losing interest with the following seasons. I feel like one issue that is starting to come up more is that Nadja doesn't have as many story threads as the other vampires. Nandor has Guillermo as well as all the baggage from his past, and the writers aren't afraid to look into his past love interests or do goofy poo poo with him (the cult, his crush with the gym girl, the genie) for better or for worse. Laszlo is a dumbass, and they are happy to put him in situations where his idiocy is the butt of the joke. Colin literally had a whole different world open to him since energy vampires are daywalkers.

Nadja lost most of her story threads by the beginning of Season 2. Jenna could and should have been a goldmine of story content since she was Nadja's protege. Jeff got beheaded early in Season 2. Aside from Laszlo, her main interactions are with The Guide and the Nadja Doll. It's just a shame they don't let her go off with Sean's wife Charmaine, find a new Jeff, or get into feuds with her werewolf nemesis Ange. I feel like giving her more supporting characters would help the show avoid dragging out storylines like the Vampire Nightclub.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SpiderLink posted:

That's what I thought too, but then the whole "clues to a secret room" thing doesn't make as much sense.

I think he mentions early last season that he could ask his mom about it but he finds her tedious.

True, but would it be the ghost of his birth mother, or the ghost of some woman who found Previous Baby ColinRobinson in 1922 and raised him for a year?

And if that happened, did he end up draining her to death as he grew up? That could be part of the energy vampire life cycle, they are reborn as cute babies to trick humans into raising them, quickly grow, while fully draining their parents as their first meal. Lazlo could withstand it because he was a vampire, and then when the others came back that deflected it so Gizmo didn't get drained away.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Does anyone perchance have a high quality clip of Laszlo saying "You are the most devious bastard in New York City" from the house flipping episode?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cacator posted:

Does anyone perchance have a high quality clip of Laszlo saying "You are the most devious bastard in New York City" from the house flipping episode?

https://i.imgur.com/eOeS4XM.mp4

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Bogus Adventure posted:

I've been thinking a lot about this show since I really enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2, but have been slowly losing interest with the following seasons. I feel like one issue that is starting to come up more is that Nadja doesn't have as many story threads as the other vampires. Nandor has Guillermo as well as all the baggage from his past, and the writers aren't afraid to look into his past love interests or do goofy poo poo with him (the cult, his crush with the gym girl, the genie) for better or for worse. Laszlo is a dumbass, and they are happy to put him in situations where his idiocy is the butt of the joke. Colin literally had a whole different world open to him since energy vampires are daywalkers.

Nadja lost most of her story threads by the beginning of Season 2. Jenna could and should have been a goldmine of story content since she was Nadja's protege. Jeff got beheaded early in Season 2. Aside from Laszlo, her main interactions are with The Guide and the Nadja Doll. It's just a shame they don't let her go off with Sean's wife Charmaine, find a new Jeff, or get into feuds with her werewolf nemesis Ange. I feel like giving her more supporting characters would help the show avoid dragging out storylines like the Vampire Nightclub.

I did like this season but I also felt Nadja wasn't given enough to work with. I liked what she had and I started the season not liking the Guide and now I really like her and Nadja doing girlboss vampire stuff. "Speak, bitch!"

I also really liked that she sort of tried with Guillermo's family because she does care about him in her own way and I wanted him to tell her to ask for more than one day "off" a month. Because she's worth more! Hell, even Guillermo gets one day "off" a week now! Basically I want more Nadja-centric plots.

Also I don't understand Guillermo this season. I feel like last season Guillermo would've went after Nandor with a stake after the poo poo he pulled with Freddie, hell he thought about killing Nandor for far less! like every season so far! And the duplicate Freddie was seriously hosed up even for the show's standards.

Guillermo was a dumb gently caress for offering Derek the full payment up front. Always do half before and half when you wake up, you moron!

I do love Simon like, so much. I love his entire crew. Of all the vampires in this dumb show, Simon and his crew are the only ones who seem to be living their undead lives to the fullest. I hope he keeps the stupid hat forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He flirts with killing Nandor in the first episode!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Matt Berry really ramping up the vibrato on final words in his sentences this season was just so consistently funny to me. Such grace. Such elegance.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

empty sea posted:

I did like this season but I also felt Nadja wasn't given enough to work with. I liked what she had and I started the season not liking the Guide and now I really like her and Nadja doing girlboss vampire stuff. "Speak, bitch!"

I also really liked that she sort of tried with Guillermo's family because she does care about him in her own way and I wanted him to tell her to ask for more than one day "off" a month. Because she's worth more! Hell, even Guillermo gets one day "off" a week now! Basically I want more Nadja-centric plots.

Also I don't understand Guillermo this season. I feel like last season Guillermo would've went after Nandor with a stake after the poo poo he pulled with Freddie, hell he thought about killing Nandor for far less! like every season so far! And the duplicate Freddie was seriously hosed up even for the show's standards.

Guillermo was a dumb gently caress for offering Derek the full payment up front. Always do half before and half when you wake up, you moron!

I do love Simon like, so much. I love his entire crew. Of all the vampires in this dumb show, Simon and his crew are the only ones who seem to be living their undead lives to the fullest. I hope he keeps the stupid hat forever.

Yeah, I hope that The Guide is Nadja's gateway to more ridiculous stories.

And 100% :agreed: on Simon and his crew. I loving love every episode they show up in, especially Mr. Fifties and Count Rapula.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Much obliged!

Nadja saying "I love pizza so much" would also be a great help but I have to stop myself there or else I'm basically asking for entire episodes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Simons bad but that's because Nick Kroll is a one note comedian.

Guillermo would never go after Nandor with a stake that's completely against his character and the latent love they have for each other.

Colin Robinson's arc combined with the night club was bad but the show is funny enough to carry it.

Nadja was given plenty to work with this season which is a refreshing change of pace from earlier seasons when she was just female Laszlo.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Jenna was a terrible story line and thankfully left to the side. They don't need another vampire taking up space, especially one that doesn't have a personality outside of people don't notice her. It's literally mind boggling to say that she lost story threads when the majority of this season was about her (and Colin Robinson I guess). Not complaining, I just think they're finally developing her character more.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Doltos posted:

Nadja was given plenty to work with this season which is a refreshing change of pace from earlier seasons when she was just female Laszlo.

It's too bad she couldn't do anything with it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Doltos posted:

Jenna was a terrible story line and thankfully left to the side. They don't need another vampire taking up space, especially one that doesn't have a personality outside of people don't notice her. It's literally mind boggling to say that she lost story threads when the majority of this season was about her (and Colin Robinson I guess). Not complaining, I just think they're finally developing her character more.

Hard disagree. Jenna was a better story hook than any Nadja's night club aspirations, especially since they did nothing beside add a venue for guest stars (I guess people wanted more Fred Armisen?). Think of all the tales of Nadja's impoverished early years and eventual revenge of taking a poo poo on her enemies' graves that were left by the wayside because she had no one to pass them on to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cacator posted:

Simon apparently just has that effect on Laszlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhqXaqNcaE&t=128s

My other favourite line is "This the way we talk in Tucson Arizoniah!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doltos posted:

Simons bad but that's because Nick Kroll is a one note comedian.

Guillermo would never go after Nandor with a stake that's completely against his character and the latent love they have for each other.

Colin Robinson's arc combined with the night club was bad but the show is funny enough to carry it.

Jenna was a terrible story line and thankfully left to the side. They don't need another vampire taking up space, especially one that doesn't have a personality outside of people don't notice her.

Plot twist: Jenna never left and was in every episode this season.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Astroman posted:

Plot twist: Jenna never left and was in every episode this season.

poo poo, that would have been great. Just pop her into the background occasionally and never ever draw attention to it until the reveal, like Judo Master in the Peacemaker opening credits.

There was also a manga series which introduced a character almost three years into the run whose magical ability was to blend into the background and practically become invisible, except he'd actually been there the entire time and if you go back and check you can spot him in crowd scenes and he's even listed in the class roll call right at the start.
The anime adaptation has been running several years and they show him in the opening credits of every episode but he still hasn't been 'revealed' yet. :v:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

poo poo, that would have been great. Just pop her into the background occasionally and never ever draw attention to it until the reveal, like Judo Master in the Peacemaker opening credits.

There was also a manga series which introduced a character almost three years into the run whose magical ability was to blend into the background and practically become invisible, except he'd actually been there the entire time and if you go back and check you can spot him in crowd scenes and he's even listed in the class roll call right at the start.
The anime adaptation has been running several years and they show him in the opening credits of every episode but he still hasn't been 'revealed' yet. :v:

That's a cool idea, which series is it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's a cool idea, which series is it?

Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun! It's basically Harry Potter except a regular human kid gets adopted by a demon lord and sent to demon highschool where he has to hide his human status
The anime is still running so that's a spoiler for anyone who watches anime but doesn't read manga

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's a fun little shonen manga, by the way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The nightclub thing felt like a show in its tenth season. Episode to episode there's a ton of laughs, but the whole thing felt weirdly empty. Even by sitcom standards, it's impressive to see them almost completely disregard everything from last season's finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Can anyone recommend any shows similar to this one?

I'm looking for visually striking, character-based comedies with horror/surreal elements. Stuff like Wellington Paranormal, The Good Place, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Los Espookys.

(If you haven't seen Los Espookys, definitely check that one out. Hugely overlooked and underrated.)