Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

So, welcome to another Gnosia loop!

This is based in the original setup by Yami Fenrir (who ran the two previous iterations, Gnosia 1 and Gnosia 2). I’m taking it over this time, and hopefully managing to retain the spirit of the first two!

As usual, Maerlyn is gonna be my co-mod for this one, and hopefully prevent me from making too many mistakes. Also IggyMeen, who's acting as US timezone mod this time. Hello to both! :)

This is a Mafia-like game; while there are a lot of elements common to normal Mafia, there are also a number of mechanics that are unique to this type of game. Be sure to read them.

Gnosia is a single-player mafia/werewolf-like videogame available in Steam, Nintendo Switch and PS Vita. You are trapped in a spaceship where an unknown number of your peers have been replaced by Gnosia – alien beings intent in eliminating the humans and taking full control of the ship. It’s a good game!

Day phases involve debating which crew member will be sent to cold sleep, a type of reversible stasis where they can do no harm. Night phases involve a lot of gruesome death.

Sounds familiar?

There are several differences as to how Gnosia is played when compared to a normal forums Mafia game.

The most important of them is that Gnosia games are flipless Mafia. There is a specific Credential (role) that will reveal dead players’ alignment, but there is NO flip mechanic.

Some players may hold both normal powers derived from their character, and a Credential that allows them to do extra actions at night.

No role is intended to be Crew or Mafia - player characters, alignment and credentials are completely randomized prior to game start. Setups in this iteration are open, meaning you will know a) every character's powers and b) how many Credentials are in the game.

Also important to know: Gnosia kills follow a couple restrictions.

- The Gnosia MUST submit a kill each night. Abstaining is not allowed.
- Gnosia cannot be NKed. Only human players can die at night!

The usual roles are replaced by Credentials. Any character will, in top of their particular powers, hold a Credential role that functions independently. Credentials are also randomized each game and not tied at all to characters!

There are several possible credentials that can appear, but, apart from the Gnosia and Crew Members, not neccesarily will.

Crew Members: Town.
Gnosia: Mafia.
Engineer: At night, target a living player to learn their alignment. Similar to the “cop” role in regular Mafia.
Doctor: At night, target a dead player to learn their alignment.
Guardian Angel: Can prevent a kill, similar to the “doctor” role in regular mafia.
Guard Duty: A pair of players that, if they claim to have the Credential together, will be mod-confirmed to be town. If one does not claim, or if one is lying, it will do nothing.
AC Follower: Human, and will cop as such, but wins if the Gnosia win. Similar to the “traitor” role in regular Mafia.
Bug: If alive at endgame, wins in place of the Crew or Gnosia. Cannot be Night Killed, but dies immediately when investigated by an Engineer. A modified “survivor” from regular Mafia.

A difference in how this game is going to run when compared to the previous ones: we’re running this as an open setup. This means you will know what Credentials are in the game, and which ones aren't.

An important mechanic in Gnosia is Counterclaiming. If a player claims to have a Credential, and is not counterclaimed by anyone else in the same in-game day, they will become mod-confirmed as holding that role, regardless of if they do or don’t actually have it.

This means it is very important to claim and counter-claim appropiately, whether you are the Human with the credential, a Gnosia, an AC Follower, a Bug, or whatever! Gnosia is a game of confusion - anyone can claim or counterclaim, and the players should weight the veracity of everyone’s claims and the usefulness of them appropiately. Remember: Doctor-less Gnosia is Flipless Mafia!

As a tip, Guardian Angels should not, usually, claim.

Claiming a credential that's not in the game setup will do nothing, and people may laugh at you. Read the OP.

Characters have specific Abilities that are tied to them – those ARE regular Mafia roles. Their use is independent of that of Credentials, meaning a player can and will have the two!

Those are, in this iteration, as follows:

Cassidy##Ask for someone to teach them a skill. In unconfirmed masonry with Setsu.
Setsu##Shut up to cut out a day action used in thread. In unconfirmed masonry with Cassidy.
Gina##Copy to obtain a copy of someone else’s credential results, real or fake.
SQ##Exaggerate to give a target 1x Hated for the day.
Raqio##Retaliate to set up a thunderdome.
Stella##Join Argument to move their vote and one extra vote to the player their target is voting.
Shigemichi##Scapegoat to clone one use-version of a random player’s night action.
Chipie##Follow to track a player.
Comet##Identify to flavorcop a player.
Jonas##Seek Agreement to redirect a day action from himself onto someone else.
Kukrushka##Join Defense to give a target 1x Loved for the day.
Sha-Ming##Grovel to give himself 3x Loved for the day. Loses his vote next day.
Otome##Refute which auto-negates any negative day mechanics used on her (Hated and Thunderdome).
Remnan##Fade Out to redirect a night action used on him to a random target.
Yuriko##Cover to delete all Loved/Hated effects on a given target.

Some of those are permanent, and some are one-use, and some of the latter will recharge if given specific circumstances. Some are day, and some are night; and of the day ones, some are public, and some are private. Specifics of each role will be detailed in the PM.

Remember – this is an Open Setup, meaning that your powers are more or less public! If you want to claim to be a certain character or other, by all means, go ahead, but remember people will roughly know what you do!

This loop is intended for 15 players, meaning all 15 characters will be in the game. If we don’t get enough players in a week or so, I’ll modify the setup to fit however many players we have. If we don’t go full 15, the characters that appear in the game will be randomized.

Gnosia characters will be randomized. No character is tied to any alignment.

Credentials in the setup are listed below. They will, also, be randomized, and the real ones will be held by Human players, with the exception of the Bug, if applicable. Gnosia will have a Gnosia credential. No player will have two credentials.

The 15 players setup in this iteration will be:

3 Gnosia

1 AC Follower

8 Human Crew

1 Engineer

1 Doctor

1 Guardian Angel

General mafia rules apply. If you are playing, do NOT discuss the game outside the thread or authorized OOT channels!

Please note: our games usually feature some amount of flavor. Anything you may receive short of your actual night action results should be taken with caution, as while not intentionally misleading, we've taken care of not letting it influence the actual game. You can pursue arguments on flavor, but please be aware it may not match reality or even be coherent among different days or players. You have been warned!

Please, do not lurk. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. Communication is key - if something important is keeping you from posting and we can accomodate it, tell us! First time is a warning, second one is a modkill.

Do not edit your posts. If there is a big reason you need to do so, tell us first.

Do not directly quote private communications. Copying and pasting any kind of OOT comms into thread is not allowed. Neither is copying and pasting any kind of mod communication, including your PM, either in thread or in any possible OOT communication channels. This rule will be enforced, and infringing it will result in a modkill.

Do not fake day actions.

Don't be an rear end to people. You don't have to be all nice and friendly all the time, but if things get too heated, please disconnect, calm down and come back later. Again, mod team is here to ensure everyone has fun, but I'd particularly not like needing to tell posters to chill. Be mindful of the person at the other side of the screen!

We will use Discord. Link is here, please join.

This game works on majority, with hammers happening upon a player reaching half+1 of the votes. Should majority not be reached, no execution will happen.

Nights will be 24h long from hammer and days will begin inmediately after nights end, with the deadline being 48/72h.

We're open to setting up a deadline that works for everyone, so if you are not on the US, and we don't know you, please note your timezone on sign-up! We cannot guarantee it will 100% accomodate everyone, depending on where you are you may get some odd hour like 10 am or 6 pm, but we'd like to avoid anyone getting a middle of the night deadline.

Days are at a maximum 48h long, going up to 72h if they span a weekend. Days end at hammer and threads will be closed at night. You can post during twilight (after hammer and before thread closes) but no game-related talk is allowed in that time, and those posts will not count towards day postcount.

Crew wins when all threats are eliminated. Gnosia and the ACFollower win when they hold control over the vote.

------

Player List:

1. A Sometimes Food Replaced by girl dick energy (She/Her)
  2. b-minus1
  3. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  4. Guillo
  5. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  6. hambeet (he/him)
  7. Nep-Nep (She/Her)
  8. NeverHelm (He/Him)
  9. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  10. Quackles
  11. saladscooper
  12. SporkChan
  13. WindwardAway (she/her but anything goes)
  14. wologar
  15. Yami Fenrir

Graveyard

Quackles, Remnan, has been sent to cold sleep Day 1!
SporkChan, Chipie, has disappeared without a trace Night 1!
Bifauxnen, Gina, has been sent to cold sleep Day 2!
Nep-Nep, Stella, has disappeared without a trace Night 2!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Aye.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

I'll be Abraxas.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

RIP triplevote

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

God dammit Shell I'm trying to take a mafia break and you put up the literal one game I can't miss. With Bif in it already.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Bifauxnen posted:

RIP triplevote

I'm taking this as a signup? If wrong tell me, lol.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

God dammit Shell I'm trying to take a mafia break and you put up the literal one game I can't miss. With Bif in it already.

Mason buddy!!!

Shellception posted:

I'm taking this as a signup? If wrong tell me, lol.

Yep, it's a signup, also thunderdome is actually a great alternative to triplevote

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
goddammit i can't not do this

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I haven't played Gnosia so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does the AC Follower know who the Gnosia are?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

saladscooper posted:

I haven't played Gnosia so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does the AC Follower know who the Gnosia are?

No, the AC Follower is a human for all intents and purposes - has no extra info and is not in the Gnosia chat. Difference is, they only win if Gnosia do, a normal Human victory is a loss for them.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Spoil me ASAP so I won’t have to replace into this I do not understand these games

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

spec

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I have a question for everyone who signed up or is thinking of, tho.

I originally planned this as normal, 48h/day Mafia. But there is another option in the table, which is to run it as faster-paced 24h/day Mafia. Nights would still be 24h long, and weekends would get extra time, but days would be quicker-paced.

I don't have a preference, and I'd like to hear the thread's opinion.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Shellception posted:

I have a question for everyone who signed up or is thinking of, tho.

I originally planned this as normal, 48h/day Mafia. But there is another option in the table, which is to run it as faster-paced 24h/day Mafia. Nights would still be 24h long, and weekends would get extra time, but days would be quicker-paced.

I don't have a preference, and I'd like to hear the thread's opinion.

I think I still prefer 48 hours.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

48 please I do not have the mental energy for 24 hour days

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would like to play and either time frame is cool with me, 48hrs I guess in respect of those who have come before me

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Alright, normal 48h it is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'll sign up! And normal 48h days, if you please.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I'm in! Gotta maintain my Gnosia track record of lurk-lurk-logic bombs!

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Count me in!

Btw, I'm gonna be low activity for most of the end of this week/weekend but I'm assuming it won't be too much of a problem

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.

WindwardAway posted:

Count me in!

Btw, I'm gonna be low activity for most of the end of this week/weekend but I'm assuming it won't be too much of a problem

Also, yes, 48h days, please

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

WindwardAway posted:

Count me in!

I'm planning to start around next Monday (19th) if that's OK for everyone. Waiting for ongoing games to wind down and also giving a bit of a breather to players, I feel we've been chaining games as of late. So it's completely OK!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Ok, I guess I'm in this now. Excited for round 2 of Engineer Duels.

48hrs sounds good to me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sign me up

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yami said if i didn't play he'd beat up some kid in hospital.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

hambeet posted:

yami said if i didn't play he'd beat up some kid in hospital.

Are you signing up under duress? Blink twice for yes, one for no.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yami has told me i'm lying. he is right.

it was two kids!!!

Shellception posted:

Are you signing up under duress? Blink twice for yes, one for no.

:stare:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Quote is not edit, lol.

Also I'll take that as "I've seen things..."

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

it was me trying hard not to blink

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I’ll play

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

We are at -2 now!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also, people who signed up but aren't in the Discord, please hop in whenever you can, so we can get deadline time sorted.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'll play

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tentatively full! Gonna reserve a spot here for a future player.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I nominate birdstrike

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I nominate revolver anidav

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

I nominate revolver anidav

:aaaaa:

Adbot