Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

main story missions and stranger missions offer a ton of honor, and you literally get honor gains by saying howdy to people and throwing fish back. You can dip the honor slider all the way into the red and finish with high honor if you want. As long as you on the good side of it, you'll get the high honor Arthur dialogue.

so in short, you can do any of that stuff as you like if you mostly play high honor and are not murdering people constantly. just offering rides to strangers, rescuing folks you find being robbed, etc will keep you good.

Ah, that's good to know. I noticed that saying howdy occasionally gives honor. I always say Howdy, even if it means that I risk slamming my horse into someone because you have to be close to hit the Greet button (so far this hasn't resulted in an accident, but it absolutely will at some point - looking forward to when I say "Howdy partner" to some old man instants before crushing him under the hoofs of my steed).

edit; Btw how do you check your honor? All I see is this one icon under the Player info. Does having the cowboy hat icon always mean you have positive honor? It recently went from saying I have a 0% shop bonus to -10% costs. I think the icon is a grey cowboy hat guy.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

You can beat him to death with your fists and the cops will look the other way but if you use a weapon they react. Not sure why but it probably has to do with how they get mad about gunfire in towns generally.

To be fair, this seems like a pretty reasonable common sense thing; firing guns in a town/city is obviously going to make the cops freak out and random citizens assuming you're doing crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
if you check the Arthur page in progression it shows you your honor level and current perks from it

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

let me see that ugly mug

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Don't you also get +honour for being nice to your horse :unsmith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

skipmyseashells posted:

if you check the Arthur page in progression it shows you your honor level and current perks from it

I couldn't see a level; just the perk and an icon. From looking this up, apparently I'm level 2, though (from my perk).

According to what I read, there are no perks to negative honor beyond -1. That seems a little weird, though not a big deal for me since I have trouble being mean in video games.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are a few missions you can only get if you have high honor

Also you can see it by hitting down on the D-pad(not sure what is on PC), the same button for checking the time and temperature.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

RatHat posted:

Yeah I don’t know why there are so few trappers locations. The one closest to the Chapter 2 camp is the one in the hills just northeast of Riggs station, just follow the nearby railroad south and then west across the bridge(and watch out for the train).

By the way while you missed out on the money from selling your pelt the trapper automatically gets it in their inventory for crafting.

Remember, if you go rescue Micah that trapper is likely to be... sporty, to access. Something about helping Micah depopulate Strawberry annoys the laws somethin' fierce.

Personally, next playthrough I'm leaving his rear end to rot until I absolutely have no choice.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ygolonac posted:

Remember, if you go rescue Micah that trapper is likely to be... sporty, to access. Something about helping Micah depopulate Strawberry annoys the laws somethin' fierce.

Personally, next playthrough I'm leaving his rear end to rot until I absolutely have no choice.

You can just pay your bounty afterwards.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

RatHat posted:

You can just pay your bounty afterwards.

But I didn't *have* a hundred bucks at the time. (Pretty sure it was three digits.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ygolonac posted:

But I didn't *have* a hundred bucks at the time. (Pretty sure it was three digits.)

Yeah the max is $300 and if you shot everyone you'll probably get that.

Anyway even if you're wanted it's not too bad going to that trapper since he's right on the border. Just don't linger and definitely don't shoot a gun

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 13, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If I could ask for one change to the crime/wanted system, it'd be to give you the option of just surrendering and paying your bounty to lawmen (instead of having them instantly start shooting at you when you encounter them). It's weird that you can satisfy the law by paying your bounty, but only if you manage to stealth your way to a postman first.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Ytlaya posted:

If I could ask for one change to the crime/wanted system, it'd be to give you the option of just surrendering and paying your bounty to lawmen (instead of having them instantly start shooting at you when you encounter them). It's weird that you can satisfy the law by paying your bounty, but only if you manage to stealth your way to a postman first.

But enough about real life

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Is some of the stuff in that map specific to RDO (like these daily/weekly challenges)?

Yeah the Ropke one I think is totally for RDO, I think I had to use the IGN one for story mode stuff

Saying hello to everyone in town, patting your house, feeding your horse, brushing your horse, all these things bring your honour back up and I don't think O'Driscolls count as dishonorable anyway :)

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Are there any low honor missions or am I just doing a low honor playthrough for slightly different cutscenes?

I know RDO has some low honor only missions.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The main story there's no low/high honor difference in terms of missions, just in dialogue and reactions with some little extra stuff.

Granted I can't play as low honor/evil type characters in games for the most part so that's kind of nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sometimes I'd be racing somewhere and my horse would do something incredibly stupid and send us both barreling rear end-over-teakettle and faceplanting. It was so frustrating, every time it happened I'd have Arthur race right up to that horse and.... pet her gently, brush her mane, feed her an oatcake, pet her again, say,"Yer alright, gurrrl!" and then head back off on my way :kiddo:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

You can surrender, If it hasn’t escalated to the point where lawmen are shooting to kill. Just holster your gun, target a cop and you’ll have the option to surrender. You’ll stay in jail for a few days and your bounty will be cleared(you still pay for it but if you don’t have enough cash they’ll just take what you have)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

RatHat posted:

You can surrender, If it hasn’t escalated to the point where lawmen are shooting to kill. Just holster your gun, target a cop and you’ll have the option to surrender. You’ll stay in jail for a few days and your bounty will be cleared(you still pay for it but if you don’t have enough cash they’ll just take what you have)

To add, if you’re in jail your gang may even break or bail you out!

Want to see another rarely seen cinematic? Use insult on your camp members repeatedly until something happens :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was a good boah so never really spent any time in jail as Arthur, so I had no idea there was a bunch of content related to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFXZyf9gL6E

PlushCow posted:

Want to see another rarely seen cinematic? Use insult on your camp members repeatedly until something happens :)

Ooh! Ooh! What happens!?! I'll never do it myself because I'd make the npcs sad!

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
various characters knock you out and tosses you out of the camp

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

skipmyseashells posted:

Jack rolling up his sleeves and going,"Okay Uncle Arthur, enough is enough :toughguy:"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

skipmyseashells posted:

Sounds about right, Arthur can be quite the rear end in a top hat

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I became wanted earlier for "disturbing the peace." As best I can tell, it's because I bumped into some people while walking around. No one even fell or anything!

I'm also doing this loan collection thing, and during this one a guy witnesses me and thinks I'm stealing. I chased him down and he pulled a gun on me after I threatened him (which as far as I could tell was my only non-violent option). So I killed him, but fortunately there were no other witnesses.

RatHat posted:

Huh, they always just start shooting instantly for me. Maybe because I'm on a horse and they assume I'm running?

Jerusalem posted:

Sometimes I'd be racing somewhere and my horse would do something incredibly stupid and send us both barreling rear end-over-teakettle and faceplanting. It was so frustrating, every time it happened I'd have Arthur race right up to that horse and.... pet her gently, brush her mane, feed her an oatcake, pet her again, say,"Yer alright, gurrrl!" and then head back off on my way :kiddo:

I had this happen and my horse died :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I had this happen and my horse died :(

Ahhh jeez man :smith:

I took my horse over a cliff once (no idea how I managed it) on my first playthrough on the PS4, and because I was in the epilogue I didn't have access to the 99 Horse Revivers I'd just been casually carrying around all game. That was one of my tensest experiences of the game, racing on foot in desperate search of somewhere I could buy a horse reviver, ending up running smack down into a gang hideout, doing EVERYTHING in my power to stay alive, reach Blackwater, get the reviver and then haul rear end back to the horse. I did, and she lived, and John told her he loved her, lady :shobon:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

skipmyseashells posted:

And if you go long enough without a bath, miss grimshaw will force you to wash in a barrel while everyone laughs at you

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ainsley McTree posted:

And if you go long enough without a bath, miss grimshaw will force you to wash in a barrel while everyone laughs at you

well I gotta try for this cutscene now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Ahhh jeez man :smith:

There was basically a bad camera angle where I thought there was just a 1-2ft drop but instead it was like 5 feet. My horse actually didn't die immediately, but it was injured and I did not have horse reviver. I just stood there with both the "Revive" and "Kill" options greyed out (not sure why the latter was) and kept losing honor for some reason (I guess because I was letting it lay there injured, but it's not like I had much of a choice).

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

You can beat him to death with your fists and the cops will look the other way but if you use a weapon they react. Not sure why but it probably has to do with how they get mad about gunfire in towns generally.

You can blast the eugenics dude. First time I saw him I antagonized the bastard, he was there the second time I rode into Saint Denis and upon him yelling "I am a racist!" I thought the hit on honor and bounty was worth it to remove this scumbag from my RDR2 playthrough with a shotgun.

Except the only aftermath was his carcass and people fleeing but didn't get a crime reported message and no lawman came to shoot.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I hog tied him, greeted a lawman with him over my shoulder, then threw him into the river. Nothing happened!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m pretty sure I’ve explored a good chunk of the map and I’ve found a grand total of 0 rock carvings and 1 fossil. I’m gonna have to look these up aren’t I

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

RatHat posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve explored a good chunk of the map and I’ve found a grand total of 0 rock carvings and 1 fossil. I’m gonna have to look these up aren’t I

I found like 1 carving and 2 fossils in my original 120hr campaign but I will say my TV was not great and i had a heck of a time seeing small animals

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck yeah, I just unlocked fast travel. That'll save me a lot of time. If I'm understanding correctly, it can only be used from camp, but that still saves me half of the trip to various places.

I also got a free Springfield rifle from some guy that I sucked snake venom out of. I imagine that's a bit more lucrative if you somehow do it later when more things are unlocked, but the rifle was the most expensive thing I could find (I kitted it out with a scope and rifling upgrades as well, though I haven't exactly encountered many situations in this game where I can make use of a scope yet. I guess it could be useful if I try and hunt properly (instead of just shooting things on horseback while traveling). From what I'm reading, rifle can get perfect pelts from deer. I've currently just been using bow and arrow, but it'll be convenient if I can just use my scope on something from really far away without having to carefully sneak up.

Regarding controls, is there a way to "suppress" dead eye targeting? Sometimes I'll be trying to use it to shoot a bird or something, and it'll do multiple targets. Or do the same to people, when I only need one to the head.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Heck yeah, I just unlocked fast travel. That'll save me a lot of time. If I'm understanding correctly, it can only be used from camp, but that still saves me half of the trip to various places.

I also got a free Springfield rifle from some guy that I sucked snake venom out of. I imagine that's a bit more lucrative if you somehow do it later when more things are unlocked, but the rifle was the most expensive thing I could find (I kitted it out with a scope and rifling upgrades as well, though I haven't exactly encountered many situations in this game where I can make use of a scope yet. I guess it could be useful if I try and hunt properly (instead of just shooting things on horseback while traveling). From what I'm reading, rifle can get perfect pelts from deer. I've currently just been using bow and arrow, but it'll be convenient if I can just use my scope on something from really far away without having to carefully sneak up.

Regarding controls, is there a way to "suppress" dead eye targeting? Sometimes I'll be trying to use it to shoot a bird or something, and it'll do multiple targets. Or do the same to people, when I only need one to the head.

Springfield rifle is probably one of the best things you can spend that bonus on tbh--by the time later stuff starts unlocking, you'll probably have more money via the main quest than you know what to do with, but early on you're pretty broke and the springfield is a good gun that will honestly carry you through the game if you can get used to the slow fire rate.

re: deadeye--you'll upgrade your deadeye ability as you progress the game, eventually it changes so that you tag your targets manually instead.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

RatHat posted:

I’d say out of 10 rock carvings 1-2 are pretty visible from a main spot riding around, and the rest are basically needing a guide because they’re in some obscure spot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I discovered that I can examine animals from pretty far away using the Springfield's scope. This is good, because it's pretty annoying trying to do it on horseback with the bow.

I also found a giant moose, but I wasn't able to fight it because that Mexican guy who keeps challenging me to shooting competitions was nearby. I owned him again. Shooting the bottles seems like it might be a little tough with controller, but I temporarily switched to mouse for it. The bird part is easy with dead eye (no idea how you'd do it without deadeye, though). I won $30, which I think is like $500,000 in 1899 money, so I can see why the Mexican guy was so upset.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Springfield rifle is probably one of the best things you can spend that bonus on tbh--by the time later stuff starts unlocking, you'll probably have more money via the main quest than you know what to do with, but early on you're pretty broke and the springfield is a good gun that will honestly carry you through the game if you can get used to the slow fire rate.

re: deadeye--you'll upgrade your deadeye ability as you progress the game, eventually it changes so that you tag your targets manually instead.

That's good to hear about deadeye.

Regarding the rate of fire, I have trouble figuring out when it makes sense to use different guns. The rifle seems good if I'm just behind cover and guys are far-ish away, but since head-shots appear to always be a kill regardless of gun it seems like revolver might be better up close. Not sure how pistols fit into this (though I don't have one yet). Same goes for shotguns, I guess; if they can one-shot guys with body shots I might want to consider using them instead of the revolver.

One other gun question - is there any reason (aside from tedium) to not convert most of your bullets to split-points? The description seems to imply that they're just objectively better than the default bullets. Also, are explosive bullets worthwhile? Or fire arrows (I've never done anything with fire in this, so I don't know if this is ever effective in combat).

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ytlaya posted:

I discovered that I can examine animals from pretty far away using the Springfield's scope. This is good, because it's pretty annoying trying to do it on horseback with the bow.

I also found a giant moose, but I wasn't able to fight it because that Mexican guy who keeps challenging me to shooting competitions was nearby. I owned him again. Shooting the bottles seems like it might be a little tough with controller, but I temporarily switched to mouse for it. The bird part is easy with dead eye (no idea how you'd do it without deadeye, though). I won $30, which I think is like $500,000 in 1899 money, so I can see why the Mexican guy was so upset.

That's good to hear about deadeye.

Regarding the rate of fire, I have trouble figuring out when it makes sense to use different guns. The rifle seems good if I'm just behind cover and guys are far-ish away, but since head-shots appear to always be a kill regardless of gun it seems like revolver might be better up close. Not sure how pistols fit into this (though I don't have one yet). Same goes for shotguns, I guess; if they can one-shot guys with body shots I might want to consider using them instead of the revolver.

One other gun question - is there any reason (aside from tedium) to not convert most of your bullets to split-points? The description seems to imply that they're just objectively better than the default bullets. Also, are explosive bullets worthwhile? Or fire arrows (I've never done anything with fire in this, so I don't know if this is ever effective in combat).

You can use the binoculars as well to examine animals.

I would always use split points over regular bullets, a good upgrade that doesnt take too long to make a lot, for the damage upgrade and less deadeye drain (if im remembering correctly). Eventually youll have enough money for the better bullets like Express.

And use whatever guns you like, and in the end a headshot is a headshot is a headshot no matter the gun, and the gun's stats will improve with usage. I used the cattlemen revolver for most of the game because I liked the action and at the end it was not far different stat wise from the schofield revolver, not enough to feel like I was handicapping myself.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

you're correct that the only reason not to use split point rounds is the tedium, but I wouldn't underestimate exactly how tedious creating a full batch of them can be. Honestly the game's not that hard, generally, I usually just use regular rounds until I have enough money for Express, then I just use those and never look back. I believe, and don't quote me on this, that a springfield rifle with express rounds is a one-hit kill on the torso, so once you get into the rhythm of "auto-aim, shoot" it's pretty drat lethal

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PlushCow posted:

You can use the binoculars as well to examine animals.

I would always use split points over regular bullets, a good upgrade that doesnt take too long to make a lot, for the damage upgrade and less deadeye drain (if im remembering correctly). Eventually youll have enough money for the better bullets like Express.

And use whatever guns you like, and in the end a headshot is a headshot is a headshot no matter the gun, and the gun's stats will improve with usage. I used the cattlemen revolver for most of the game because I liked the action and at the end it was not far different stat wise from the schofield revolver, not enough to feel like I was handicapping myself.

Yeah, I actually already have enough money for the better bullets; it's only like $1.80 or something for 30 of them, which very easily pays for itself when each guy you kill drops like $3-4. I didn't realize stats improve as you use a gun. That's interesting.

Speaking of ammo, how useful is upgrading the camp's ammo/medicine/food stores? Is it just a matter of convenience, or is it cheaper overall than buying them yourself? I kind of have my doubts, since I'm pretty sure the ammo I got was worth considerably less than the $8 or $12 or whatever it cost to resupply it. Can you even get the better ammo types in the camp?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I actually already have enough money for the better bullets; it's only like $1.80 or something for 30 of them, which very easily pays for itself when each guy you kill drops like $3-4. I didn't realize stats improve as you use a gun. That's interesting.

Speaking of ammo, how useful is upgrading the camp's ammo/medicine/food stores? Is it just a matter of convenience, or is it cheaper overall than buying them yourself? I kind of have my doubts, since I'm pretty sure the ammo I got was worth considerably less than the $8 or $12 or whatever it cost to resupply it. Can you even get the better ammo types in the camp?

I think I only ever donated meat I cant remember if the camp stores were worth it otherwise.

To add about split point bullets, because I remember some people didnt realize when they first played, you dont need to press the craft button every time for every bullet when crafting them; just hold down the (X) button or whatever it is and it will keep crafting automatically until you're full or you run out of regular bullets. Doesnt take long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I usually upgrade the camp whenever i reach the "more money than i can spend" part of the game, but I don't think I've ever actually used it to restock my stuff. Easier to just buy it from the shops in catalogs imo