Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Peacock has the entire WWE back catalog and I watch a lot of 1999 Raw episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My local sports provider, Bally, now offer a streaming option for its channels which is great. But in typical ‘oh you think streaming is designed to benefit you and not us?’ fashion, if you want to see both the local hockey and basketball coverage you have to buy two separate packages at $19.99 each. So about 2/3 of my existing cable bill for 198 less channels. Eat a loving dick.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

My local sports provider, Bally, now offer a streaming option for its channels which is great. But in typical ‘oh you think streaming is designed to benefit you and not us?’ fashion, if you want to see both the local hockey and basketball coverage you have to buy two separate packages at $19.99 each. So about 2/3 of my existing cable bill for 198 less channels. Eat a loving dick.

I wish I had that option. There is no way I am aware of to get Root Sports without also giving fox news money.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wayne Knight posted:

I wish I had that option. There is no way I am aware of to get Root Sports without also giving fox news money.

Ha, look up who owns Bally. (To save you time, it's Sinclair who are probably even worse than Fox News)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just want to watch Magic games in an easy and reasonable way :negative:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's a nice option. Of course they do that just after I move away. I'm now in a state with no major pro team, wonder which teams region I fall into for blackout rules.

If I no longer live in the same area as the MN Wild, I think that ESPN+ will get me all games except for national broadcast type stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, look up who owns Bally. (To save you time, it's Sinclair who are probably even worse than Fox News)

Yeah, Sinclair is a terrible terrible company.

https://youtu.be/GvtNyOzGogc

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

But better video quality, more varied programming, fewer or no ads, can watch anywhere on anything, and the ability to stop any of them at any time.

And all of them combined are still barely the cost of the most basic cable package.

Cost was never the biggest thing.

Also, Sling TV IS cable TV basically, so the graphic isn't even all that accurate.

I seem to have touched a thread nerve here, I just thought it was a funny graphic and posted it for, uh, humor at this alleged (dead and gay) comedy website. I thought Sling TV was an odd and less funny inclusion myself, but I didn't feel like cranking up a graphic design program (gently caress Adobe, Photoshop, and your cloud subscription bullshit! GDIAF, you greedy corporate fucks! :argh: ) to edit it to something else at the time.

Sorry, lost my concentration there for a second...

Let me counter: I think many (most?) cable companies let you go month-to-month now, they had to to compete with streaming services.I know Xfinity/Comcast does, though you can also commit to a 1-year or 2-year contract if you want to and save a bit monthly with it.

I pay for cable because my experience trying to go OTA and streaming only for an entire year back in TYOL 2017 was an exercise in glitchy, pixelated, hair-pulling frustration. It's probably better now and I'll sheepishly admit I was using PS Vue for that, a streaming TV service Sony finally mercy killed in 2020. I think they saw the writing on the wall about all the competition they had and would have.

Dealing with a software VPN to trick MLB.TV into letting me see my local pro baseball team was, well, not fun to put it mildly. Dropouts, freezes, and pixelation all combined to create a moldy day old ballpark hotdog I was force fed every time I wanted to watch a goddamn baseball game. That got old very quickly.

I also pay for several streaming services, more than I should to be honest, and many of the points people are making here true about the quality of streaming now. I love the streaming services.

As for ads on cable, I have DVRs (not Comcast's) so I can quickly speed through them, and sometimes they're funny and I like to see them. The old "Mayhem" Allstate ones with Dean Winter are a family favorite.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, PSVue was just cable too.

YoutubeTV, PSVue, DirectTV steaming, Sling, FuboTV are all just cable TV. Linear TV stucks rear end in all its forms because the source quality is a steaming pile of poo poo. Linear TV streams are bitstarved feeds crammed through satellites that are then further compressed by every provider before they send them down the pipe.

That's why services like Hulu (VOD), Netflix, Prime, AMC+ (though they have their own quality issues) are all better value.

I would sooner pay for ad free Peacock to watch NBCU stuff than subscribe to a cable service (in any of its forms) to get the same content because the quality is so much better. That's also why I would use VOD streams rather than DVR recordings for most stuff now on any of those services as they are better quality encodes but at least the dedicated services gives me the option to bypass ads.

It's not so much a nerve, it's just that people keep repeating the sentiment of the meme and as someone who has always battled with the quality of cable TV from the time that I got my first apartment in 2001, this is like the nirvana age of video quality for TV content and I wouldn't go back for the world.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Anton Chigurh posted:

(gently caress Adobe, Photoshop, and your cloud subscription bullshit! GDIAF, you greedy corporate fucks! :argh: )

Photoshop CS6 for life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

phosdex posted:

If I no longer live in the same area as the MN Wild, I think that ESPN+ will get me all games except for national broadcast type stuff.

Yeah the $7 or whatever ESPN+ charges for the amount of content you get is unreal, especially compared to what Bally want from us.

It's a shame I couldn't get it reliably working with my DNS workaround to skim the blackout, bizarrely it seemed to correlate with me being able to watch the away games for my team but not the home ones? Odd. If I can get it worked out, I'll gladly subscribe for the season at that price, even if I only watch 1% of their content.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

davebo posted:

Photoshop CS6 for life.

Truth.

I recall Adobe gave away CS2 back in the early 2000's, or at least I downloaded it from one if their servers when someone told me they were doing that. Came with a working serial number too, I still have the entire install package in my downloads folder. My memory is vague about it though, so who knows if Adobe ever really opened their hearts to creatives that way, ever.

I've never actually used Photoshop very much, I intentionally use apps like Affinity Photo and its brothers that are both inexpensive and let you buy them outright.

My anger about Adobe stems from them moving to a subscription model for their products. I think they were the first major corporations with widely used software to do it, and many other companies followed suit soon afterward.

Fast forward to today and you see even shareware and freemium PC and smartphone apps of dubious value and quality charging $10/mo. or more, with no lifetime purchase offer available.

I blame Adobe for all of it, but I also realize it was already being done with ongoing "service contracts" and other shenanigans for decades by companies like IBM.

A different big company would've done it eventually anyway once whatever bean counter asshat figured out it was much more lucrative for his greedy masters to bend people over that way.

OK, rant off, that's enough agitation for my soul, for now.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I bought one of those $20 Walmart ONN Android 4K streaming box thingies to watch tv on a (just HD) monitor in my garage and that little sucker works really well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

HBO Max is running a special now where you can get 40% off a year for $104.99 ad-free. But you can also go through Rakuten to get 16 dollars cashback, and if you have an American Express card, they have a deal where you can get a $25 credit for anything over $99 if you add it to your card to make it a total cost of $63.99. Yeah, I know about the upcoming Discovery merge, but it's still worth it to see for $64/year/ad-free.

With ads, it's $69.99/year, and you can still get the Rakuten cash back, but I hate ads.

https://www.hbomax.com/subscribe/plan-picker

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm using Suppose.TV to look up options for the World Cup if my DNS/BBC iPlayer feed isn't stable enough to be worry free. Looks like Sling Blue has Fox Sports 1 which (along with FOX Local) is the main US carrier for the games, how is their service these days? They're the cheapest and have enticing offers like 50% off the first month right now.

I see they allow 3 streams simultaneously, does this setup generally work if I split between a friend who lives pretty locally too or are they stringent about all streams being on the same IP address or something like that?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If it is like YouTubeTV, you probably have to be in the same general area. My brother and I share and we are 40 miles apart but in the same market/region.

I noticed that HBO Max has shifted all of their CNN shows (Parts Unknown, United Shades of America, etc) to Discovery+. I bet that their single set up that they talked about will just be a bundle where HBO Max has all scripted programming and Discovery+ has non-scripted and documentary style shows.

I am guessing that their bundle will be $20 a month for both to compete with Disney.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah we're in the same county, and the Googling I did indicated this *should* work too. Hopefully someone who has it can confirm/deny. FuboTV can't sadly, and is more expensive. A shame, as the Spanish language option would've been appreciated on that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Signed up for the Hulu bundle + live tv, think this + prime covers me 100% for nfl and nhl. Was thinking the live tv streaming companies must see a big increase in subs right around this period.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Is there a service like GOG for games where you can buy stuff and own it without needing to buy physical copies?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Like iTunes?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's lots and if you connect them all to Movies Anywhere, a lot of stuff becomes available on other services so you can look for the best deals.

Anyway:

iTunes
Google Play
Amazon
Vudu
Microsoft

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah sorry, all good suggestions and I've used iTunes before but if I'm not wrong, all of those are the DRM "you are only allowed to use the service as long as we want you to". GOG is DRM free and "you buy it you own it" in principle.

I'm craving some Columbo, but no streaming services has it in my region has it. Would be nice to be able to buy it, download it without DRM and put on Plex or something without :filez:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's no DRM free video services as far as I know.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

phosdex posted:

Signed up for the Hulu bundle + live tv, think this + prime covers me 100% for nfl and nhl. Was thinking the live tv streaming companies must see a big increase in subs right around this period.

Ive been considering getting a streaming service for football this year, as streaming is getting tiresome.

Do the services like Hulu + Live TV, YTTV, Fubo, etc. only offer what would otherwise be on your local cable tv channels? ie. I will be forced to only watch my local NFL team on Sunday? Or can I select from all the games that are being broadcasted, like at a sports bar?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
And I can't imagine any distributors/studios ever agreeing to it. I mean there's really no friction to pirating stuff these days but that would just open the flood gates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

There's lots and if you connect them all to Movies Anywhere, a lot of stuff becomes available on other services so you can look for the best deals.

Anyway:

iTunes
Google Play
Amazon
Vudu
Microsoft

Yeah movies anywhere is the closest you can get to DRM free at this point.

Just be aware that not all movies on any of those services are MA portable. There are some licensing restrictions still in place.

MA is a nifty idea and you can import some of your physical library into it as well.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ive been considering getting a streaming service for football this year, as streaming is getting tiresome.

Do the services like Hulu + Live TV, YTTV, Fubo, etc. only offer what would otherwise be on your local cable tv channels? ie. I will be forced to only watch my local NFL team on Sunday? Or can I select from all the games that are being broadcasted, like at a sports bar?

I think that's NFL Sunday Ticket if you want to be able to choose the game. DirecTV has exclusive rights to that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

MarcusSA posted:

Just be aware that not all movies on any of those services are MA portable. There are some licensing restrictions still in place.
here's the list:
https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005281983-Which-movie-titles-are-not-eligible-for-Movies-Anywhere-

i was def. disappointed after buying some movies on vudu that i had to use their lovely app to watch them. absolutely not worth the cheaper price

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh god the vudu app is the worst. I bought the office and mad men for super cheap (mad men was like $20) and I definitely regret it even though it was cheap.

I don’t know how they stay in business.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

phosdex posted:

I think that's NFL Sunday Ticket if you want to be able to choose the game. DirecTV has exclusive rights to that.

I think this is finally the last season DirecTV has it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hate having to dick around with apps and licensing and such. I recommend getting physical media and ripping it. I pretty much only watch stuff made from 80s-10s though, so YMMV on the availability.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

*SHRUG* the Vudu app's been fine for me on whatever platform I've tried to use it on.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

*SHRUG* the Vudu app's been fine for me on whatever platform I've tried to use it on.

100% agreed

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Vudu is the one that's on everything and it works every time. What's it doing that's so bad?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TheScott2K posted:

Vudu is the one that's on everything and it works every time. What's it doing that's so bad?
for me it would stutter a ton when casting. i ended up pirating the movies i bought just so i could watch them without interruption. i had bought other movies on vudu before and watched them through google services with no issues. maybe it's better now but i'll never buy anything on vudu again

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Only thing I don't like about Vudu is it's interface. It's clunkier than most but performance wise has been just fine for me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You only get your local channels so whatever games they show. HOWEVER I've used VPN to connect to other market areas to watch their games on their local channels with YTTV.

Honestly though, unless you're absolutely desperate to watch whole games with commercials, just get the sports package that gets you redzone.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never been into the idea of RedZone at all because I like watching full games live of all sports or catching up via highlights. I had though wrongly assumed it was just going to show red zone situations. I read over the wikipedia and god drat that’s awesome. It sounds like a really well thought out setup and a lot of fun in general. Still not quite for me but that’s cool!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have found that Vudu truly depends on what you are playing it on. My blu ray player when we first started using Vudu stuttered all of the time. My laptop will randomly buffer once or twice a movie. But I have never had an issue with Roku. It works amazing on there every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enos Cabell posted:

I think this is finally the last season DirecTV has it.

I think that's right, and the last rumor I heard was that Apple was bidding heavily on the rights to NFL Ticket to put on their Apple TV+ service, or may have already won it. They're just keeping it under wraps for now.