Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here is the advisory: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c08357322

But it's a bunch of poo poo. Disabling the audio device in BIOS works to get back into Windows, but it still blue screens until you revert the BIOS version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Have them use Private or Incognito Mode, depending on the browser. That proves it's either a cache issue, or a browser extension, usually.

Yup. If someone tells me to clear my cache, I am going to roll my eyes as well. Yes, it very may well fix the problem with your lovely web app, but it's a pain for the end user and if you are troubleshooting Private/Incognito is the way to go. If you prove it from there, then absolutely let's clear cache.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Yup. If someone tells me to clear my cache, I am going to roll my eyes as well. Yes, it very may well fix the problem with your lovely web app, but it's a pain for the end user and if you are troubleshooting Private/Incognito is the way to go. If you prove it from there, then absolutely let's clear cache.

F12 -> right click the reload button -> empty cache and hard reload is a pain for the end user?

But yes, it's a lovely web app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

F12 -> right click the reload button -> empty cache and hard reload is a pain for the end user?

I actually wasn't familiar with this ability to clear just the cache on a single site, which is pretty impressive given the number of times I've had someone ask me to clear my cache for webapp troubleshooting. I was referring to a complete browser cache clear, which is what people usually recommend, which is more impactful for the end user.

I'd still probably start with the InPrivate/Incognito route to start, but that's really splitting hairs. Thanks for educating me. :)

vvv ty ty vvv

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 12, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

I actually wasn't familiar with this ability to clear just the cache on a single site, which is pretty impressive given the number of times I've had someone ask me to clear my cache for webapp troubleshooting. I was referring to a complete browser cache clear, which is what people usually recommend, which is more impactful for the end user.

I'd still probably start with the InPrivate/Incognito route to start, but that's really splitting hairs. Thanks for educating me. :)

Don't even have to do that in firefox. click the padlock on the address bar and there is a "clear cookies and site data" option

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Have them use Private or Incognito Mode, depending on the browser. That proves it's either a cache issue, or a browser extension, usually.

Why is Microsoft pushing HP BIOS updates? That's a thing I never want to happen.

They do it for Dell as well. And the Windows Update-provided ones bypass the lockout for Bitlocker and BIOS passwords that otherwise blocks Dell Command Update from doing the update.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DelphiAegis posted:

I usually lurk so I'm prefacing this with that and that I'm not trying to be incendiary, but:
lol at asking an end user to press F12 and do something. I'm not directly in IT but I have to deal with a bunch of IT adjacent stuff so I know enough to appreciate this thread. I'm a project manager/technical expert/consultant that sets up new PunchOut integrations (log into my company's software, click button to access third party's site to shop) at an eprocurement company. I dont work with end users (thank god) but I work with people who do and every time we're setting up a new PunchOut and it doesnt work, the supplier says "oh you just need to clear your cache, no big deal!" both the client and myself get a good laugh because good loving luck getting a 70 year old professor, some idiot intern, or some scientist that is so far up his own rear end it took threatening to fire them just to get them to use the eprocurement software to do that right every time they need to use this stupid punchout. Asking these people to press F12 then refresh would be like asking a mosquito to not bite you on a hot humid summer day. Seeing the menu that flies out when you press F12 in Chrome when they already dont know what a browser is or that the F12 key exists would probably make these peoples' heads explode.

If there is a way to explain that to a five year old that would make sense and be easy I would love to hear it.

RFC2324 posted:

Don't even have to do that in firefox. click the padlock on the address bar and there is a "clear cookies and site data" option
This I did not know and I am excited to know it, so thank you for sharing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 12, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Darchangel posted:

Why is Microsoft pushing HP BIOS updates? That's a thing I never want to happen.

Lenovo pushes firmware updates all the times for subcomponents on microsoft catalog while leaving bios updates to vantage. I think only Asus and their ilk are not using windows update for firmware.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
If users have fast boot enabled in Windows (the default) "shut down" actually closes all apps and hibernates. A lot of users reasonably assume that shut down is more thorough than a restart and is what they try.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Geemer posted:

They do it for Dell as well. And the Windows Update-provided ones bypass the lockout for Bitlocker and BIOS passwords that otherwise blocks Dell Command Update from doing the update.

Surely not a single nefarious individual is looking at exploits for this process. Not a single one.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I usually lurk so I'm prefacing this with that and that I'm not trying to be incendiary, but:
lol at asking an end user to press F12 and do something.

It would be something to reasonably try for a tech remoting into the computer (or on-site visiting.) But otherwise completely agree it's not something to ask a random end-user to attempt to do.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

About twice a year my mom calls me in a panic because "all the bars went away" because she bumped F11.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Knormal posted:

About twice a year my mom calls me in a panic because "all the bars went away" because she bumped F11.

I'd panic if I hit a button and all the bars went away too

need someone to pour me a shot after dealing with people who lie about clearing their cache

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My IT department wanted me to clear cache and cookies because I couldn't log into any O365 applications.

Not the website. The desktop applications.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

RFC2324 posted:

Chrome as well, but you have to click "site settings" to see "clear cache" as an option. Can delete cookies from the single padlock click which I do often! I don't want to sign out of everything.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Knormal posted:

Not a month ago my mother called me to fix the printer, because "the ink cartridge no longer fits into the laser printer". I show up, it's jammed into the paper feed tray. I guess she took it out to shake it, then had a brain fart and forgot where it came from not 30 seconds ago. :doh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GreenNight posted:

The first thing I did was edit a GPO to disable drivers being installed via Windows Update.

I think they're doing it for Windows 11 compatibility.

Thanks Ants posted:

OEMs can have driver and firmware updates delivered via Windows Update now. It makes sense because otherwise devices end up with out-of-date firmware full of security holes (thanks, Intel management engine). HP should have solved this problem by having the BIOS update being a combined sound driver and BIOS update package, though.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07009542

Geemer posted:

I recently learned that Dell was depending on WU for trackpad drivers when several of my machines suddenly decided that they had "PS/2 compatible" mice, and all the gesture functions, including scrolling, stopped working until either MS or our WU admins fixed it.
Them pushing out BIOS updates explains why I've had people randomly needing us to retrieve the Bitlocker key, since, as you say, if they'd done it via Dell Command Update, it would have temporarily turned off Bitlocker.

Barono posted:

If users have fast boot enabled in Windows (the default) "shut down" actually closes all apps and hibernates. A lot of users reasonably assume that shut down is more thorough than a restart and is what they try.

I have encountered this trying to get into BIOS on some of our Lenovos. Because of Fast Boot, you can't do it from a presumed cold start, only a restart. That was fun to figure out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Them pushing out BIOS updates explains why I've had people randomly needing us to retrieve the Bitlocker key, since, as you say, if they'd done it via Dell Command Update, it would have temporarily turned off Bitlocker.

For what it's worth, I've never had to enter the Bitlocker key when updating the BIOS on my work computer through Windows Update.
I don't know the admin password for the BIOS, so I can't enter that into Dell Command Update, nor do I care to ask IT to do it for me as roughly a week after it becoming available on DCU, Windows Update has it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

my cat is norris posted:

JUST CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE

STOP ARGUING WITH ME

JUST DO IT, IT'LL FIX YOUR PROBLEM

CLEAR

YOUR

BROWSER

CACHE

omg i hate users sometimes

The best thing is when the user wants you to explain what went wrong, why it happened, but no matter how you explain it they just don't get it. Upper management are the worst for this.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

"How can we be sure this will never happen again?"

Worst loving postmortem question.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

If it's anything like my postmortems there, "hire people who know what they're doing" isn't on the table.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

AlexDeGruven posted:

My standard canned answer is to mumble something about the resolution being clearly documented and remind them it was sorted out within SLA then pour myself a drink.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Bury all the computers in a pit in Nevada and fill it with concrete. Then we can put a couple of those 'not a place of honor' signs around. And let's get some wolves to take up residence in the area."

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Renegret posted:

My IT department wanted me to clear cache and cookies because I couldn't log into any O365 applications.

Not the website. The desktop applications.

O365 is AD, but we have a few apps that pop up a embedded website page for our SSO sign on. I’m surprised stupid poo poo like that doesn’t come up more often tbh.

On a similar sounding vein, you have to clear cache in Internet Explorer to clear out IE mode sites in Edge. You can’t do it from Edge itself.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Barono posted:

This is especially true for older users who started working with Windows XP or 7. In these OSs restart didn't properly clear out memory, so we had to train them that the proper thing to do to ensure a clean boot was to shut down.

Then Windows 10 came along and Microsoft flipped the dynamic on this head.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The other night the mothership pushed out an update. I let my thinkpad update over my lunch break and when I came back it had a ‘only use authentic Lenovo batteries’ message. I turned it over to see if someone had hosed with my battery and when it unplugged from the dock, it immediately died.

I booted it back up and went into system and as far as the computer was concerned, it didn’t have a battery in it.

I went back to work with it docked and when I came back the next day there had been another update and now the battery existed.

Windows update taketh, and Windows update giveth

Lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

minusX posted:

Chrome as well, but you have to click "site settings" to see "clear cache" as an option. Can delete cookies from the single padlock click which I do often! I don't want to sign out of everything.
Ctrl + Shift + R just clears the cache without affecting the cookies if that matters for you. Works for both Chrome and Firefox. Haven't tried it on Edge.

PremiumSupport posted:

This is especially true for older users who started working with Windows XP or 7. In these OSs restart didn't properly clear out memory, so we had to train them that the proper thing to do to ensure a clean boot was to shut down.

Then Windows 10 came along and Microsoft flipped the dynamic on this head.
Da gently caress you calling old, babby?

No seriously, who? I started on Windows 3.11 :negative:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

Ctrl + Shift + R just clears the cache without affecting the cookies if that matters for you. Works for both Chrome and Firefox. Haven't tried it on Edge.

Da gently caress you calling old, babby?

No seriously, who? I started on Windows 3.11 :negative:

DOS 5.0 :corsair:

Anyone else remember Desqview?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

DOS 5.0 :corsair:

Anyone else remember Desqview?

Desqview was the poo poo for hosting a two line BBS *and* running local admin for it *and* have a DOS prompt ready at all times. Multitasking? In MY DOS?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I didn't need no freakin Windows, I had DOSSHELL.EXE :rice:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
A Macintosh desktop I bought new in 1995 provably did not wipe the contents of RAM on reboots because I somehow figured out how to make a RAM disk bootable for when I needed to run Norton Utils on its only HD :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

MREBoy posted:

A Macintosh desktop I bought new in 1995 provably did not wipe the contents of RAM on reboots because I somehow figured out how to make a RAM disk bootable for when I needed to run Norton Utils on its only HD :v:

That's not how RAM works.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's not how RAM works.

It worked for me. I used the System 7 Memory Control panel to make a ram disk of about 20-30mb (I had 136mb of RAM in this Mac), made a folder in it, copied the System and Finder into this folder (which "blessed" it as a System Folder) then copied the needed Norton Utilities apps over. Selected the RAM Disk as the Startup Disk & rebooted. Boom, I could now run Norton on the Macintosh HD that required booting from some other HD or CD-ROM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Most systems don't clear the RAM on boot, they just treat it as if it were clear, so it's at least plausible that the system could leave data behind for itself to pick back up after a warm reboot.

I can find a few mentions of people doing this on "Old World" era Macs which makes some sense because the bootloader and substantial parts of the operating system were in ROM on those machines.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AlexDeGruven posted:

I need permission to kill three men, and all the liquid nitrogen in the Soviet Union.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

wolrah posted:

I can find a few mentions of people doing this on "Old World" era Macs which makes some sense because the bootloader and substantial parts of the operating system were in ROM on those machines.

This was on a PowerMac 7100/80AV bought new in late 1995.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MREBoy posted:

This was on a PowerMac 7100/80AV bought new in late 1995.

"Old World" is basically everything prior to the iMac so you're firmly in that range. It does seem like those could pull some magic tricks with ramdisks through a warm reboot.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Side effect of my job is I can't watch any movie or TV show without spotting the phones they're using, like yup, that's a 4000 series Avaya IP phone in Breaking Bad

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I notice that all the time with any Cisco phones that are obviously not plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I need permission to kill three men, and all the liquid nitrogen in the Soviet Union.

lol, this killed me