Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cowboy beepboop posted:

music from the 60s or whatever when stereo was first recorded and the artists went overboard infuriates me. yes i want to only listen to the guitar with one ear, great job. oh now you're switching ti between ears rapidly? wow thanks!
every Van Halen album until 5150 lol. my buddy's car lost a speaker once and blam, no Eddie at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i actually really love extremely wide stereo separation when listening with speakers on opposite sides of the room. but ya with headphones it’s super annoying

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
e: jesus how did i post in the wrong thread? lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chris Knight posted:

every Van Halen album until 5150 lol. my buddy's car lost a speaker once and blam, no Eddie at all

metallica also put james' and kirk's guitars in different channels. i don't know if they continued in stuff post load, but i know they did on all the 80s albums and i'm pretty sure on metallica as well.

e: yeah they do on load, too. listening to 2x4 and james is left and kirk is right.

e2: all the way through s&m. i don't have any metallica past that because i don't particularly enjoy trujillo era metallica, but i bet they probably still split the guitars on l/r channels.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 4, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

how is teams so absolutely garbage

every loving time i have to restart it thrice and sign in twice

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

electron

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only javascript has the power to make an application dogshit on every platform

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

slack is electron, tho. and it's fine

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I use Teams from a chome tab and it works fine for me (insofar as Teams itself can ever be described as "fine")

They even added the background screening feature to the in-browser version recently

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

when I leave one call and go to another, half the time my mic will stop working, but the speaker is fine. it's great

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
personally i just love loading multiple copies of chrome everywhere. this kills the ram

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

so does explorer on 11 constantly crash for everyone. it's happening multiple times a day for me and i assume this is all due to microsofts garbage os

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

and discord. teams is just bad in the tradition of communicator/lync/skype4biz

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

Lync absolutely refuses to detect my microphone. Lmao

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lmao teams

it still likes to gank the first subsequent keystroke or two after you hit enter to send and appends them to the end of the last message

hitting tab too fast while autocompleting someone's username after @ still results in the wrong username being filled in (whatever name is alphabetically first in the org)

race conditions, all the way down

the UI runs the show in teams and it's a case study in why to never do that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

i mean, slack behaves better than teams, and at one point seemed to behave fine, but it is by no means fine in 2022.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The way it sometimes takes Teams like four goes to clear notifications is maddening

If I could tune them more finely it would be nicer but last time I looked the three settings were "non-stop alerts", "almost non-stop alerts" or "memory hole everything"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah their notification settings are maximum boomer. beyond not having fine grained control over what triggers a notification, the options for notifications are:

Email + banner + sound + flash everything
banner + sound + flash everything
Nothing

all i need is like badge on icon or maybe at the very least just flash the icon.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I know nothing about teams besides "it's bad because Microsoft made it" but "memory hole everything" is indeed a good setting for work communication

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we have a chat app and we have teams and whoever was supposed to get us on teams seems to have given up. it's been a year and nobody uses it. the current app we use is, itself, laggy and quirky, but it is predictable and mostly customizable

meanwhile, this wanna-be slack clone has replaced skype4biz as well. it's making all the right moves by merely not moving

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
atleast teams is better than s4b. our operations staff still use lotus sametime cause its not slow as gently caress lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mashstartup/status/1569892410414563328

mystes
May 31, 2006

Has this person been thinking about this nonstop for the last 20 years?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can probably abuse a data source to somehow send a message directly from inside excel

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

you can probably abuse a data source to somehow send a message directly from inside excel
There have also been shitloads of ways to execute arbitrary code in excel even with macros disabled that they've had to disable or fix so 20 years ago god even knows what you could do

Maybe macros were even enabled by default back then, I can't remember

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

we have a chat app and we have teams and whoever was supposed to get us on teams seems to have given up. it's been a year and nobody uses it. the current app we use is, itself, laggy and quirky, but it is predictable and mostly customizable

meanwhile, this wanna-be slack clone has replaced skype4biz as well. it's making all the right moves by merely not moving

teams video is so much better than zoom

the chat

doesn’t exist. dont let people pretend otherwise.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the one think i'll give teams is the video conferencing works pretty well and i like it better then everything else

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

atleast teams is better than s4b. our operations staff still use lotus sametime cause its not slow as gently caress lmao

yeah, it's at least a step in the right direction. having a shared editing document experience is good, too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Google meets has the worst video chat, when someone screenshares it leaves massive headshots to the side so the shared screen is always really small

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

distortion park posted:

Google meets has the worst video chat, when someone screenshares it leaves massive headshots to the side so the shared screen is always really small

center stage definitely has a creepy floaty feel to it though

something about the way it pans around a too close crop i guess

e: lol i got the dumb name wrong :ughh:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 15, 2022

burning swine
May 26, 2004

teams video chat at least has improved a lot since 2019 or whenever it was borderline unusable, I'll give em that.

Google meets is pretty hilarious. They broke screen sharing in their own browser for about a month, but that is fixed now. For that whole time I had to display documents and stuff for our project manager because he couldn't.

Now they have an infinity mirror problem when sharing an entire screen. The solution that they came up with was to automatically minimize everything as soon as you start sharing, so most google meets for me now involve watching the presenter frantically hunt around for the windows they prepared that are now suddenly missing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf does it mean to improve from "borderline unusable" when it does not work at all right now

e: functionality approaches zero i guess?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
teams video works fine right now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

teams video works fine right now

:wrong:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i just did one and it was fine

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried to join a gorgle meet last summer and it wouldn't let me use it without logging in to Google. I ended up just dialing in

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

its a miracle that my work landed on using zoom instead of all the other microsoft poo poo they usually like. zoom seems to work pretty well most of the time

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf does it mean to improve from "borderline unusable" when it does not work at all right now

e: functionality approaches zero i guess?

i'm guessing you're on mac or linux in which case I have no idea if it works at all

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I needed to use teams today from my laptop so I decided to try it in a browser instead of installing the junk

and I was reminded that teams does not work in a browser unless you turn on 3rd party cookies, no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

never had teams not work, but also never had teams miss an opportunity to be janky and surprising about it.