Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

On the one hand, Steve probably did think it was small enough to get away with, and he's the only one who knows for certain what his relationship with AMD is like. On the other hand, why act indignant that AMD decided to release information? Even if it was a mistake, why the outrage? Seems petty.

On the third and final hand, "Dr" Ian Cutress needs a swirlie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I shouldn't have said "ruin," that's a bit strong and I think things will be fine. I just don't know why Steve would antagonize AMD over this. Like, who cares lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Steve gets oddly self-righteous sometimes.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
We may never know, but after listening to the clip a time or two, it sounds to me less like a deliberate NDA breach and more like GN decided that they had enough wiggle room to get away with saying it without technically being in breach.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 11, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

On the third and final hand, "Dr" Ian Cutress needs a swirlie

Any Engineer/CS who has their Doctorate and needs to refer to themselves as a "Dr" is usually a giant tool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's extremely common for press to be annoyed when someone else breaks embargo, in this case WCCFTech who presumably didn't sign the same embargo and just got given the info over Discord by AMD instead. At that point the company is (likely unintentionally) not treating all outlets fairly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My understanding is that the info in question was given during a public Q&A session by AMD. No outlet had privileged access to it, and Wccftech simply reported on the Q&A session.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 11, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My understanding is that the info in question was given during a public Q&A session by AMD. No outlet had privileged access to it, and Wccftech simply reported on the Q&A session.

In this case it's AMD that is "breaking" the embargo -- they got GN et all to agree to NDA with a schedule, then broke that schedule. They can do that, the NDA only covers disclosure in one direction. But it's a dick move.

Press hate signing NDAs in the first place. They'll do it so they can better inform the audience by having a full presentation ready to go when the NDA expires. Getting them to sign one and then leaking bits and pieces means the guys who are under NDA are in the worst position. They can't report full context still, and they have to do additional work to verify exactly what info is now public so they're gonna be delayed vs the outlet with no NDA who can just barf up anything they get.

Steve doing a little tit-for-tat and breaking NDA on a tiny, super unimportant bit of info (fclck can reach 3000 with extreme OC, big whoop) is just his way of letting AMD know he's pissed, I think.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FX4pez1dw

any bets on how much he's going to dial this up when ampere finally comes out? same with ltt. might as well get your bets in

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

please describe this video in 20 words or less because i really don't feel like watching 20 minutes of this poo poo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

please describe this video in 20 words or less because i really don't feel like watching 20 minutes of this poo poo

discussion of the nvidia sales strategy and editorial that their reduction of sell in represents market manipulation. i am not counting how many words that was.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

is nvidia doing anything new or different from what they've done before

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FuturePastNow posted:

is nvidia doing anything new or different from what they've done before

more layering of the stack than typical, due to a stock glut. so there might be a longer period where the stack looks like 4090, 4080, 3090ti, 3090, 3080ti 3080, etc etc instead of previous as they still need to move a ton of existing GPUs and they're managing supply to enforce price discipline and keep the cards from declining too far in price, at least that's the plan.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Koskun posted:

Glass side panels (and more than side in some) are an aesthetic thing.

i love glass on cases even if i hate RGB with a hellish passion

guess im weird

Warmachine posted:

I hate to be the wet blanket, but that case is probably reasonably new. It's just that the big box sellers still use that cheap Dell/Gateway/HP thin aluminum tooling with new siding every iteration. There's even been a few in GN's prebuild reviews recently.

Like take the plastic cladding off an alienware and what you have is f.f's picture but with a one-off proprietary motherboard and power supply because Dell.

My firsthand experience with >2013 HP SFFs is they are wonderful to work with and feels pretty solid.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 12, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Palladium posted:

i love glass on cases even if i hate RGB with a hellish passion

guess im weird

Me too! I've got a neatly cable managed Fractal case with a nice tinted glass side, even though there's no RGB so you can't see a thing in there unless the daylight hits it in just the right way. But it makes the PC look nice and swish on my desk.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
jay got a promo screwdriver and liked it even though he broke it and constantly complained about the price. kind of a backhanded compliment but overall positive imo. he refers a technical analysis that i also watched and it seems to perform pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyqGa4DZeKU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CoolCab posted:

jay got a promo screwdriver and...he broke it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Breaking a screwdriver is not a good look for that screwdriver no matter how much you liked it.. Unless you were doing something really stupid with it like trying to lever open a locked door.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Or open some vintage IBM machine in a dumb way.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
he was doing something really stupid with it. he dropped it from like 6 feet onto carpeted concrete and it broke one of the little arms that holds the bits inside the handle. but he seemed mostly charmed by the magnet tbh

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
He dropped it from head height (he is like 6' 3" or so) onto a floor with commercial carpet on top of concrete. The screwdriver itself didn't break, one clip in the bit holder did, so it holds one less bit.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

priznat posted:

Breaking a screwdriver is not a good look for that screwdriver no matter how much you liked it.. Unless you were doing something really stupid with it like trying to lever open a locked door.

if ur screwdriver cannot help ensure that the demon core will not reach criticality than is it even a screwdriver

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

if ur screwdriver cannot help ensure that the demon core will not reach criticality than is it even a screwdriver

lol if a LTT screwdriver manufacturing defect causes a criticality event

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CoolCab posted:

he was doing something really stupid with it. he dropped it from like 6 feet onto carpeted concrete and it broke one of the little arms that holds the bits inside the handle. but he seemed mostly charmed by the magnet tbh
a Linus designed screwdriver breaking when dropped is not a good sign

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds like the type of terrible quality you'd expect from a merch product.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Shipon posted:

lol, he made that joke too

the custom mini funky adjustable bit holder thing was super late in the design relatively and required a ton of iterations so it doesn't surprise me at all it's less durable than the remainder of the unit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
"Super late in the design" and also really the only part that's different from $34 the tool it's based on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

priznat posted:

lol if a LTT screwdriver manufacturing defect causes a criticality event

Does the "Just trust me bro" warranty cover an exposure to 3.6 Roentgen?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Shipon posted:

Linus tested it for drops from head height but that was only 5 feet. Guess that extra foot is what killed it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This may just be me but if I’m paying that much for a screwdriver I’d expect it to survive a fall onto carpet

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

carpeted cement.

I would rather fall on a hardwood floor.

But I agree 100$ for a screwdriver and none of it should break from a free fall. If they were whipping it at the floor then that's different

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
here's what we're talking about btw, and 70 bucks not 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyqGa4DZeKU&t=1015s

it's not exactly whipping it but it's not exactly what i'd call a typical drop either.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

CoolCab posted:

Oh no! It’s only twice the price it should be, not triple! :supaburn:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

CoolCab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyqGa4DZeKU&t=1015s

it's not exactly whipping it but it's not exactly what i'd call a typical drop either.

91.98 USD is 121 CAD, so my estimate was cheaper

So I will revise, 120$ for a single ratcheting screwdriver should not break anywhere if whipped at a wall. I understand spending $$$ for lifetime quality so I'm just not the person this is for

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
? shipping and taxes are not generally considered part of the price point. definitely not regional differences.

like, my screwdriver cost a fiver and is currently holding up part of my keyboard, lol, i am not here cause i wanna buy one but cmon be fair.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I still don’t get why a ratcheting screwdriver is required for pc building but if that’s what people like go nuts (for $69.99)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

That's... how much I would pay? I mean $80 USD is still over $100 CAD.

I mean when I budget for something I don't just count the sticker price, not that I'm budgeting for screwdrivers over here but a sticker price doesn't mean much on its own

e- sorry, it's the sex number, not 79.99. So it's 91$ sticker price. Inflation sucks but including taxes and shipping isn't unfair imo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

priznat posted:

I still don’t get why a ratcheting screwdriver is required for pc building but if that’s what people like go nuts (for $69.99)

I don't get it either. I have a little screwdriver with a set of little bits and it handles all my computater needs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't get it either. I have a little screwdriver with a set of little bits and it handles all my computater needs

The screws are very short and don't require a lot to cinch up! Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

An iFixit Mako kit will do the job better than Linus' vanity screwdriver, and will also give you enough bits that it's difficult to find something you CAN'T take apart with it. All for a third the price. And the length attachment makes it real easy to reach screws even inside a tightly packed SFF enclosure.

The only reason I can see to buy it is that you really want to give Linus money and don't want something more practically branded. This is coming from someone with 2x GN coffee mugs and their mouse mat, the latter of which is easily the highest quality mouse mat I've ever had and I'd happily pay the same price for with or without the GN branding.

Seriously, the GN mouse mat is loving fantastic.