Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Plex is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So i tried to watch some shows on my desktop today using the plex web app and i was having constant buffering issues (even when changing the streaming quality to low). But when using the plex android app on my phone or even the desktop app i have no problems and it streams fine on my home network. I know that there was some issues on chrome with plex web on android devices. no one that accesses my plex server has complained about it so im assuming this a new issue?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Is it me or is the background of the web app now a dark red color instead of black? Can I revert that somehow?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

trilljester posted:

Is it me or is the background of the web app now a dark red color instead of black? Can I revert that somehow?

I'm not seeing this.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

cruft posted:

I'm not seeing this.

I cleared my cache and reloaded and it went back to normal. That was really bizarre.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

check your install for internal bleeding

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Is the Shield still the goto smart TV upgrade device?

My 2020 tube model is starting to slow down a bit and needs restarting every few days.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

My 2020 tube model is starting to slow down a bit and needs restarting every few days.

My 2018ish Shield Pro and Tubes are all starting to suck poo poo lately, hard locks every other day. Tried a factory reset and that didn't work, so also curious about this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My original 2015 Shield has been getting slower and slower too, particularly in Plex. But I can't complain a whole lot for a 7 year old device that is still being supported!

Ordered a Fire stick 4k Max for a different TV and it is noticably faster than the Shield in every app.

I'm half considering replacing the Shield with a another Firestick Max at this point. I just don't use the gaming stuff anymore and haven't in some time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tea Bone posted:

In my experience the shield has both
1. the most fanatic fanbase among people online who'll declare every other device as absolute trash that isn't worthy of your TV
2. the most problems that the fanbase then walk away from and ignore while still shilling it in every thread they can

(Note: I'm not talking about here, people in this thread are definitely way more chill about clients, but other plex groups are rife with it).

It seems there's no single perfect client that exists outside of using an actual computer which is overkill these days (unless it's also the server and sits right next to your TV etc). I love my Apple TV and wouldn't switch it for anything, but the audio codec limitations are definitely a bummer and there's *something* up with 4K stuff that's sourced from Disney+ because it just won't play right anymore (confirmed others have the same issue). Hopefully they get to the bottom of that and it's a simple fix. 4K and remux'd blu-rays have just always been the most problematic things, regardless of platform.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

stevewm posted:

My original 2015 Shield has been getting slower and slower too, particularly in Plex. But I can't complain a whole lot for a 7 year old device that is still being supported!

Ordered a Fire stick 4k Max for a different TV and it is noticably faster than the Shield in every app.

I'm half considering replacing the Shield with a another Firestick Max at this point. I just don't use the gaming stuff anymore and haven't in some time.

I run Plex Server from my 2015 Shield. It got slow when I ran out of space and Plex would being stupid about moving the library to the USB attached SSD, so I just factory reset it and now its fine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Did a little research on what's out there now, and depending on your needs it seems that unfortunately the Shield Pro is still the best. From what I've found it's the only device that can do both Dolby Vision and all the HD audio pass through. Looked through my records and I guess I got my Pro back in early 2016, so decided to roll the dice and pick up the new version. If it works without forcing me to power cycle every other day I'd say it's worth the $200.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, I just started serving up 4k stuff and this was the easiest way I found to do it. 4k content lives in its own Plex library, this makes it easier to ensure that people that aren't set up for 4k content aren't forcing my server to transcode it down to 1080p, or that you rely on your users knowing to set their version quality. Similarly, a separate instance of Radarr specifically for 4k content so that I can ensure that movies don't upgrade to 4k, eliminating lower res versions.

Overseerr even expects this to be the setup people feed it, you can give it a second Radarr that's designated for 4k content and it will then give you options of "Request Movie" or "Request in 4k" (again, you can manage what users have permission to request 4k content) so it knows which Radarr to send the request to.

It sounded like a pain in the rear end initially but honestly, it's super simple to set up and I've had no issues with it, especially with Overseerr consolidating the frontend so I don't have to flip between Radarr instances when trying to request stuff.

If you do deploy this way though, if you checked the "all libraries" box in Plex for your users when you initially granted them access, you'll need to go back through and uncheck the 4k library, as they'll get access by default.

Thanks a bunch for this. Overseerr is definitely the missing piece I was looking for.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love my Apple TV and wouldn't switch it for anything, but the audio codec limitations are definitely a bummer and there's *something* up with 4K stuff that's sourced from Disney+ because it just won't play right anymore (confirmed others have the same issue). Hopefully they get to the bottom of that and it's a simple fix. 4K and remux'd blu-rays have just always been the most problematic things, regardless of platform.

This is pretty much my sentiment, though surprisingly I haven't run into much issue playing Disney+ content that I'm aware of. I have the odd playback issue here and there with some random stuff that the Infuse client handles like a champ though. I've put my remote users on Apple TV's as well and they are who I noticed audio transcoding getting triggered for most whereas I can Direct Play the same file locally. I converted some files with handbrake but don't think anyone's circled back around yet. I've got Tautulli setup to get a better idea of the parameters though.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i love my apple tv, but the plex app supports little when it comes to formats short of a divx rip from the napster days

audio, subtitles, and hdr all have their own way of messing with native playback. i'd also make myself more comfortable with the optimize feature on plex, especially since you can set it to automatically automize specific folders and shows

i'm still not sure whether i want to use plex because of the hassle, but make sure the plex app for [device] actually supports a lot of formats

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Got any examples you're having issues with? The Disney 4K stuff is an issue (for the poster above, it has a bad stutter when it plays back. I haven't tested in a little while though so I need to try again and see if either the client has been updated to work better or the newer rips are suddenly working again), but I've got thousands of movies and TV shows and I very rarely see issues with direct play. I don't have a huge amount with subs though (beyond just regular foreign audio/english SRT), but I know the graphical sub formats can cause issues on a lot of clients full stop, and HDR wise I stick to HDR10 because my screen doesn't support DoVi.

The fact that Infuse works well with everything is kind of a headache because it proves it's not a hardware limitation. Plex should just acquire them for their playback engine at this point.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
stutter usually means it's forced to do software transcoding on the cpu. another option is getting a plex subscription which will let you do hardware (gpu) transcoding, but i'm a cheapskate like that

i think my main issue is with how plex gives you no feedbacks on what works, and why it's causing issues. sometimes i also noticed hdr video was playing ok, but something was a little off with audio sync. which was probably transcoding happening in the background without me noticing outright

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://forums.plex.tv/t/apple-tv-4k-gen-2-2021-visual-stutter-on-4k-hevc-files/794862 is the issue as discussed on Plex.tv forums (closed without resolution) where we tried to subtly confirm we were dealing with the same issue without naming specific names.

99.9% sure it's still saying it's direct play as that would've been my first check, there's just *something* it doesn't like. We had a similar issue back a year or so ago with discs that were remux'd from blu-rays without reencoding that had a reference frame of 3 (from memory) just caused hell with playback on Apple TV, Shield etc. It wasn't super common, but common enough it drove a bunch of us insane until it was eventually fixed.

And yeah I have a lifetime pass, although I don't have a meaty GPU to offload transcoding on anyway. My Mac Mini somehow copes with the friends/family traffic it deals with daily at least, the more people I can convince to set up to get stuff direct play/streaming the better, as I have gigabit uncapped - might's well take advantage of it!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What's the Disney+ AppleTV problem? I've been using D+ in full DV/4k on my AppleTV since launch, and never noticed any issue (aside from certain parts of Kenobi being so dark or grainy to the point that I thought something was wrong, but it sounds like that was just the show.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the app or in Plex? This is a Plex specific problem, I think the official app is fine. I've certainly not heard issues anyway.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I use one of the new Google Chromecast thingies with the remote. Works great.

My dad uses an Amazon Fire Stick 4k. Works great.

Both of us run the server on a NAS, though, not on our respective "smart TV upgrade device".

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My dad has Plex on his Apple TV 4K hooked up to an LG C1 and Dolby Vision files don't play. It should be supported, but I'm seeing posts saying to use Infuse instead. Can you link a Plex library to that and use it as the front end instead?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can.

I will say I also have a C1 and AppleTV 4K and my Dolby Vision files play fine over local.

Maybe have him try the native LG Plex? Just to confirm? The BBC uses a HDR codec the AppleTV doesn’t support but LG did. Just an fyi.

Oh and for the record, the updated (2021) AppleTV 4K played Plex 4K files a lot better than the 2017 model.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 20, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there are also different profiles for encoding dolby vision, some of which may be supported, and some of which may not, to make matters even more complicated

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thwomp posted:

Oh and for the record, the updated (2021) AppleTV 4K played Plex 4K files a lot better than the 2017 model.

Do you mind expanding on this, in what way? I've kept my 2017 model as there didn't seem to be a huge amount of reason to replace it, but 4K playback has always been iffy. I assumed the newer model would have the same issues, but if not I'm intrigued.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you mind expanding on this, in what way? I've kept my 2017 model as there didn't seem to be a huge amount of reason to replace it, but 4K playback has always been iffy. I assumed the newer model would have the same issues, but if not I'm intrigued.

It's likely due to a chip spec bump (A8 versus A12) and the inclusion of WIFI 6. More processing and bandwidth throughput will definitely improve 4K playback.

Skipping around during playback is still really iffy.

I think it just also needs to be said that playing backed up 4K media locally is still pretty cutting edge when you aren't using physical media (or sourcing it from a streaming service directly).

And yeah:

kliras posted:

there are also different profiles for encoding dolby vision, some of which may be supported, and some of which may not, to make matters even more complicated
This too also plays a factor. Again, more 'cutting edge' problems.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kliras posted:

i love my apple tv, but the plex app supports little when it comes to formats short of a divx rip from the napster days

audio, subtitles, and hdr all have their own way of messing with native playback. i'd also make myself more comfortable with the optimize feature on plex, especially since you can set it to automatically automize specific folders and shows

i'm still not sure whether i want to use plex because of the hassle, but make sure the plex app for [device] actually supports a lot of formats

Your rips or Plex settings aren't right - I've been Direct Play/Streaming all sorts of 1080/4K/HEVC/HDR content to my Apple TV 4K for years and it almost never transcodes.

Edit: Tautulli says I've only transcoded 150 streams out of 33,000 on my Apple TV.

cruft posted:

I use one of the new Google Chromecast thingies with the remote. Works great.

My dad uses an Amazon Fire Stick 4k. Works great.

Both of us run the server on a NAS, though, not on our respective "smart TV upgrade device".

Fire Sticks and consoles are some of the worst-supported Plex branches. The Android TV and LG WebOS branches are okay.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 20, 2022

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
On Plex on my Apple TV when I skip content and then play, every couple of seconds the video will freeze for a few frames, enough to be irritating. If I play the same file without skipping it plays fine.

Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thwomp posted:

It's likely due to a chip spec bump (A8 versus A12) and the inclusion of WIFI 6. More processing and bandwidth throughput will definitely improve 4K playback.

Right, but *how* ? What's something you found you had an issue with on the 2017 model that you're not seeing with the current one? And WIFI shouldn't really be a factor, as anyone dealing with 4K encodes is most likely going to be wired up anyway.

I occasionally get a stutter in a high action sequence, maybe once or twice maximum in a high paced movie (never in something that isn't absolutely balls to the wall when it comes to bitrate). That's the only thing outside of the current encoding issues I can think of that isn't perfect, so that would be an example if that no longer happens. I just can't think of anything else that would make it a lot better than the old model unless it's playing back files the 2017 model can't.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My older encodes may use what would now be substandard processes. It was early days in 4K backups.

I do know the newer AppleTV has greater HDR support and may do greater/more efficient hardware decoding than the first gen 4K.

All I know is current encodes don’t bother my second gen 4K, over wifi to boot.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

On Plex on my Apple TV when I skip content and then play, every couple of seconds the video will freeze for a few frames, enough to be irritating. If I play the same file without skipping it plays fine.

Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

I would assume that's a buffering thing, does it eventually get better?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I use a Shield as my Plex server and it works great for the most part, but something that has really been annoying me lately is that even though I play media directly off a HDD conected to the Shield, whenever I turn on subtitles suddenly it starts buffering and telling me that my connection is not fast enough. For local media!

I thought I'd come here to see if anyone has a fix but it seems like even though the Shield has issues it's still better than other android TV devices.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nexus6 posted:

I use a Shield as my Plex server and it works great for the most part, but something that has really been annoying me lately is that even though I play media directly off a HDD conected to the Shield, whenever I turn on subtitles suddenly it starts buffering and telling me that my connection is not fast enough. For local media!

I thought I'd come here to see if anyone has a fix but it seems like even though the Shield has issues it's still better than other android TV devices.

This comes up pretty often, but image based subtitles (pgs, vobsub) force transcoding which your Shield can't really handle. You wanna look for SRT subs generally to avoid that.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Enos Cabell posted:

This comes up pretty often, but image based subtitles (pgs, vobsub) force transcoding which your Shield can't really handle. You wanna look for SRT subs generally to avoid that.

These are SRT subs though and it appears Plex is transcoding them. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Fire Sticks and consoles are some of the worst-supported Plex branches. The Android TV and LG WebOS branches are okay.

Dad prefers the Fire Stick over his Samsung Smart TV. We've never had a single issue with the Fire Stick in the 2+ years we've been using it. The Samsung one isn't awful, but has some dumb bug transcoding server-side to overlay VOBSUB.

90% of dad's use is playing DVD rips and music.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that we actually use a Fire Stick 4k and it's fine. Do you? I'm curious what problems you've seen: we must be trying to do different things.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nexus6 posted:

These are SRT subs though and it appears Plex is transcoding them. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that?

It's both downscaling the video and transcoding the audio. Check your client quality (and, for the audio, codec support) settings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nexus6 posted:

Your Shield TV is requesting a 720p transcode from a 1080p source. Error is clientside.

[edit] efb, I should scroll down further lol.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

There's still no way to force invited users to default to direct play, right?

I think the worst thing is that Plex defaults new users to a transcoded 8mbs stream and they have to learn on their own how to change that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

Dad prefers the Fire Stick over his Samsung Smart TV. We've never had a single issue with the Fire Stick in the 2+ years we've been using it. The Samsung one isn't awful, but has some dumb bug transcoding server-side to overlay VOBSUB.

90% of dad's use is playing DVD rips and music.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that we actually use a Fire Stick 4k and it's fine. Do you? I'm curious what problems you've seen: we must be trying to do different things.

It’s just not something I’d recommend for somebody streaming content from my Plex library - The fire sticks don’t support dts/Atmos/lossless audio, and it’s more likely to cause a transcode for my media, which tend to be higher quality rips. I’ve also heard the 4K sticks have buffering issues with larger sized 4K files.

For the price somebody pays for a gimped Fire TV stick, they can get an Android TV or Roku with true chrome casting, hdr, full Android App Store, etc.

Amazon has played nice these past few years, but I swore them off when they blocked YouTube and YouTube TV apps on their devices.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 25, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

El Mero Mero posted:

I think the worst thing is that Plex defaults new users to a transcoded 8mbs stream and they have to learn on their own how to change that.

Unless it’s changed recently, it’s like 720p 3mbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unless it’s changed recently, it’s like 720p 3mbit.

Yeah I really wish they had a way to set the default for users you invite.