Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Stux posted:

it was god like

It was ok, but really really really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it really could've used some more challenge

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stux posted:

it was god like

Actually I took the True Neutral route.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it really could've used some more challenge

I played on normal and with the exception of Shiva I think I got two game overs and both were I got bored of combat and attached to my party's current demons.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I think there's a limit to how difficult you can make a JRPG before it just becomes grindy and tedious tbh. Fights in SMTV hard mode take way too long for my liking. I switched from hard to normal in the 2nd world and while it made the game "easier" I had a lot more fun with it afterwards.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

smtv hard mode is the most perfect difficulty ever created in a jrpg

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

It was a little bit too easy. Making Vanish Balls 100 times more expensive and Increasing the chance of enemy ambushes would've been a good start. There's almost zero risk in field encounters the way the game is designed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats ok bcos its designed around that. if you fail to dodge the enemy the fight is difficult and depletes ur resources. i simply didnt use the avoid items because it would not have been fun to me.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Stux posted:

SMTIII hard mode says hi then steals your lunch money.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Stux posted:

glad u enjoyed it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sophia in P5 Strikers and Ringo in Soul Hackers 2 have the same English VA so I'm just going to assume they're actually the same character

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I still don't understand why SoHa2 has so little musical variety. This generic dungeon theme has been playing everywhere since the tutorial and it's going to drive me nuts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HGH posted:

Soul Hackers 2 thing.
What the hell is wrong with Raven's sound/audio mixing in English? There isn't a scene or delivery in this game where his microphone isn't either blowing out or just completely mixed wrong. It's like Discord voice call levels of bad.

My assumption was that he was recording from home and had a janky set-up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cdyoung posted:

SMTIII hard mode says hi then steals your lunch money.

smt3 hard mode isnt a s perfectly balanced

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
smt5 hm owned

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Stux posted:

smt3 hard mode isnt a s perfectly balanced

yes it was. just because you love babies first smt game doesn't change that fact.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oh i see the misunderstanding, no i like five not four. glad we could clear it up.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Stux posted:

oh i see the misunderstanding, no i like five not four. glad we could clear it up.

I didn't stutter son.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never been a big IV fan but V definitely made me appreciate it more. IV actually has characters and events worth remembering, however ill-executed some of them were.

I need to replay IV and IVA now I have a better comp. Used to be certain areas like anything with Shesha would just become nigh-unplayable due to slowdown but shouldn't have that problem anymore.

It was kinda hard to go back to IV though since I'm so used to how much IVA improved the gameplay by leaps and bounds. IV felt so incredibly primitive when I started it up for a bit months ago. But I wanna fully re-experience the plot in the wake of SMTV.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/skPzi4j.mp4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

IV actually has characters and events worth remembering

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You know what game has characters? Soul Hackers 2. It's even got the standard Law/Chaos/Neutral reps in your party for some reason.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ive seen the writing in that game, hard pass. should be great for the ppl who need pages of boring humans talking like therye in a marvel movie to think theres a story tho. enjoy.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Stux posted:

ive seen the writing in that game, hard pass. should be great for the ppl who need pages of boring humans talking like therye in a marvel movie to think theres a story tho. enjoy.

SMTV? Fun.
SoHa2? Fun.
Being THIS tedious about video games on the gosh darn internet? Not fun. :smith:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There it is.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
That kind of captures the whole game pretty well. Nahobino looking sassy n cool in a boring rear end 80 hour backdrop

I liked it because I have a tolerance to empty and barren, mechanics-only RPGs, I wish I had liked it more tho. Maybe I'll reply it in hard mode soon and see how I like that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its stuffed to da gills, its just not humans talking for 500 hours.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Mechanically and visually it's pretty dense, but I had just finished playing through SMT 3 and 4 so I think I was a little bit burned out on the press turn system. It felt like battles were playing out exactly as they have been for two games, exact same weaknesses and resistances and strategies. This was especially apparent with big boss battles where they pretty much used the exact same moves they've been using for a decade. I guess the biggest difference is that now you have more counters in the form of items

Not sure if that's the fault of the game or on me for playing two other mainline games back to back before this one

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stux posted:

its stuffed to da gills, its just not humans talking for 500 hours.

Dialogue and character development in a JRPG? Perish the thought.

Whatever my feelings on the game as a whole, aside from Stux here, I think there's universal consensus the story in V is nonexistent and/or trash. That's a pretty big deal breaker for a lot of people playing a JRPG. Lotta Megaten fans said the same thing about IVA - "love the gameplay but the story is trash and ergo the game is trash."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 15, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I would have also liked more hubs or meaningful locations in ruined Tokyo but a lot of the locales kind of blend in. Big shout out to the fairy village though that was on the right track

Compare that to smt3 or smt4 and it just feels like those games had more interesting locations with more interactions. Yes, there were a lot of sidequests in five but a lot of them just felt like they plopped a random demon model at a random part of the map.

One of the demons you fight is like the ultimate lord of evil (baal maybe?) and he's just chilling at a random hill? Okay? A lot of the demons feel outright replaceable and lacking personality or uniqueness compared to other entries, although I think this is always been a weaker point of the series considering the roster

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

theres plenty w all the demons and gods, try looking at the screen next time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

consensus doesnt mean much when 90% of people are morons. might as well start saying "lots of people onr eddit say:" to justify your position

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Stux is just ahead of his time/misunderstood like SMTV or Jesus of Nazareth

Hey wait, when are they going to let us fuse Jesus what the hell, we already got the Virgin Mary

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Stux please chill you’re making SMTV fans like me look bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever my feelings on the game as a whole, aside from Stux here, I think there's universal consensus the story in V is nonexistent and/or trash. That's a pretty big deal breaker for a lot of people playing a JRPG. Lotta Megaten fans said the same thing about IVA - "love the gameplay but the story is trash and ergo the game is trash."

I mean a lot of people say that about every main SMT game. Nocturnal got knocked for it too even if people want to reteroactivelt pretend otherwise because it was a plot light game. (Especially prior to Maniax which is where a bunch of stuff people remember comes from.) Mainline SMT has always gotten that complaint because a lot of people associate the franchise as a whole with Persona

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Hey wait, when are they going to let us fuse Jesus what the hell, we already got the Virgin Mary

Does Messiah from P3 count?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do not suppose that Stux has come to bring peace to the thread. They did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
For they have come to turn ‘a fan against his fandom, a poster against her posting allies.
A posters enemies will be members of their own thread

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean a lot of people say that about every main SMT game. Nocturnal got knocked for it too even if people want to reteroactivelt pretend otherwise because it was a plot light game. (Especially prior to Maniax which is where a bunch of stuff people remember comes from.) Mainline SMT has always gotten that complaint because a lot of people associate the franchise as a whole with Persona

smtv has made me want to make my next smt3 playthru non-maniax now thats an option on pc bcos of this. will be fun to see in like 2 years when i want to replay it again

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NikkolasKing posted:

They tried on the story, trying to combine a JPRG with a ludonarritive but it fell flat. In the end nothing you see or do matters because no one is offering you real reasons to support their causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

trying to combine a JPRG with a ludonarritive

lmfao