Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
[pusing my glasses thru my skull] yup, its a classic case of a ludonarrative fail. further to this they were affirming a disjunct and equivicating the gently caress out of everything and well, its simply epic fail because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SpiderLink posted:

Does Messiah from P3 count?

Ohhh yeah that's close enough, I either forgot about it or I never fused it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I mean a lot of people say that about every main SMT game. Nocturnal got knocked for it too even if people want to reteroactivelt pretend otherwise because it was a plot light game. (Especially prior to Maniax which is where a bunch of stuff people remember comes from.) Mainline SMT has always gotten that complaint because a lot of people associate the franchise as a whole with Persona

I know of the Nocturne hate which was a thing because it was such a sharp departure from the previous games Japanese fans had played. As for Persona, the reason so many Megaten fans hate IVA is precisely because it was too Prsona-ish.

I don't think this is the same thing even remotely. Hardcore Megaten fans still poo poo on V, not because it's too Persona, but because it's...nothing. It' a soulless mess that makes Nocturne look like the aforementioned 500 hours of talking in comparison. Because at least Nocturne had style with its minimalism. All Chiaki and Hikawa needed was one scene to become unforgettable. Nobody will remember anything any of the V characters did except for taking off a hat, and that is only remembered because it's mocked mercilessly. And he's still the most fleshed out character in the game by a wide margin.

V is such a huge step backward. SJ, IV, and IVA all took huge strides in having a more developed cast of characters. V pulls a bait and switch where it seems like we're expected to care about these people but then we never get any reason to. Yuzuru will go down forever as the worst alignment rep in history unless some future game dos it even worse somehow.

HootTheOwl posted:

They tried on the story, trying to combine a JPRG with a ludonarritive but it fell flat. In the end nothing you see or do matters because no one is offering you real reasons to support their causes.

This is exactly it. I so desperately wanted to care about these people and even this Tokyo I'm supposed to defend in the end. But the game never once actually made me or even really tried to make me. They just expected me to care by default. The Tokyo stuff is especially egregious to me because you spend no time there, form no meaningful relationships with the NPCs there, but the "climax" of the game is "we gotta stop it from being destroyed/fading away/whatever." Why should I bother?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

NikkolasKing posted:

And he's still the most fleshed out character in the game by a wide margin.

reading stuff like this makes me understnand the ppl that post on the mandela effect forums better because it makes me believe reality h as become unmoored. however all i have to do is simply read who posted it and everything goes back to normal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

NikkolasKing posted:

V pulls a bait and switch where it seems like we're expected to care about these people but then we never get any reason to.

bcos ur not meant to. thats the bait and switch op.

quote:

Yuzuru will go down forever as the worst alignment rep in history unless some future game dos it even worse somehow.

he isnt the alignment rep.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Stux posted:

bcos ur not meant to. thats the bait and switch op

Chekhov be like drat bro why didn't I think of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I know of the Nocturne hate which was a thing because it was such a sharp departure from the previous games Japanese fans had played. As for Persona, the reason so many Megaten fans hate IVA is precisely because it was too Prsona-ish.

I don't think this is the same thing even remotely. Hardcore Megaten fans still poo poo on V, not because it's too Persona, but because it's...nothing. It' a soulless mess that makes Nocturne look like the aforementioned 500 hours of talking in comparison. Because at least Nocturne had style with its minimalism. All Chiaki and Hikawa needed was one scene to become unforgettable. Nobody will remember anything any of the V characters did except for taking off a hat, and that is only remembered because it's mocked mercilessly. And he's still the most fleshed out character in the game by a wide margin.

V is such a huge step backward. SJ, IV, and IVA all took huge strides in having a more developed cast of characters. V pulls a bait and switch where it seems like we're expected to care about these people but then we never get any reason to. Yuzuru will go down forever as the worst alignment rep in history unless some future game dos it even worse somehow.

This is exactly it. I so desperately wanted to care about these people and even this Tokyo I'm supposed to defend in the end. But the game never once actually made me or even really tried to make me. They just expected me to care by default. The Tokyo stuff is especially egregious to me because you spend no time there, form no meaningful relationships with the NPCs there, but the "climax" of the game is "we gotta stop it from being destroyed/fading away/whatever." Why should I bother?

I don't know what hardcore SMT fans you are talking about but most of what I see is 'better that IV'.

You clearly wanted more IVA but that *is* the game that SMT hardcore mock. Even you have admitted that before.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 15, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
hes talking about reddit and this thread.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
IVA was silly but IV was cool while still campy which older megaten games seem to be. I think the art style maybe put off people but I thought the tone itself felt proper megaten.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know what hardcore SMT fans you are talking about but most of what I see is 'better that IV'.

You clearly wanted more IVA but that *is* the game that SMT hardcore mock. Even you have admitted that before.

The trend started before IVA. Both Strange Journey and IV have a huge focus on the characters. IV was marketed all around the Samurai, you are traveling with them constantly and talking to them in basically every cutscene. Strange Journey, for all its dungeon crawling, still has you always return to the Rd Sprite with your crew of quirky soldiers and medics and mechanics. Jimenez is one of the most universally beloved characters I've seen in the fandom.

IVA's "sin" was being "too anime.' But compared to Nocturne, the series had been going in a much more character focused direction for multiple entries and IV is a pretty universally beloved game by the hardcore fans so far as I can see.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
need to update it for 5

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
reading = bad, fantasy anime powerful cartoon boy with racing stripes making dramatic poses = good

got it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The trend started before IVA. Both Strange Journey and IV have a huge focus on the characters. IV was marketed all around the Samurai, you are traveling with them constantly and talking to them in basically every cutscene. Strange Journey, for all its dungeon crawling, still has you always return to the Rd Sprite with your crew of quirky soldiers and medics and mechanics. Jimenez is one of the most universally beloved characters I've seen in the fandom.

IVA's "sin" was being "too anime.' But compared to Nocturne, the series had been going in a much more character focused direction for multiple entries and IV is a pretty universally beloved game by the hardcore fans so far as I can see.

SJ had as much focus on characters as V. 90% of it is dungeon crawling. There are NPCs in V too and like SJ they mostly revolve around optional conversations. People do like Jimenez but he does a lot with a little time. (Also people hated SJ for having too much pointless text.)

IV's characters still hold the crown for most nonsensical law/chaos characters to date to the point one of IVA's attempted things was to try to give them some light semblance of reason.

I like all the mainline games and SJ. I like 3 more than V and would like IV more if it had a less poo poo map system. But lol at a decade of hearing SJ was too wordy and dull and had mostly bad characters and people only turned around when they added Future Trunks-chan

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 15, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
its pointless trying to explain to someone whos lelvel of media literacy is "gundam says war is good" and whos main complaint is thaht npcs that dont have a human character model dont count.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
nothing will top the quality of dialogue featured in Persona Q

Sometimes I can't believe I really gave 100 hours of my life to that game. Man early pandemic was weird

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Stux posted:

smtv has made me want to make my next smt3 playthru non-maniax now thats an option on pc bcos of this. will be fun to see in like 2 years when i want to replay it again

Good luck, all current releases even japanese re releases are all Maniax.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cdyoung posted:

Good luck, all current releases even japanese re releases are all Maniax.

PC

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Maniax content is opt-in as free DLC in the Steam release of the HD remake, so it's really not hard to do :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
they wouldve had to have read what i said in the post they were replying to instead of rage posting, its not their fault

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NikkolasKing posted:

Tokyo was the only thing I ended up caring about because There's nothing else in the world to care about. But then you realize that outside few select people everyone is literally faceless and worthless. There is no saving Tokyo because it has already been lost. This was the only moment of the story that I felt was any good but everything around it was mishandled.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stux posted:

[pusing my glasses thru my skull] yup, its a classic case of a ludonarrative fail. further to this they were affirming a disjunct and equivicating the gently caress out of everything and well, its simply epic fail because of this.

https://i.imgur.com/skPzi4j.mp4

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I was thinking of picking up SMT5, does anyone have any thoughts on it, especially with how it compares to other games in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

Maniax content is opt-in as free DLC in the Steam release of the HD remake, so it's really not hard to do :v:

I did not know the steam release was vanilla with Maniacs being dlc opt in, I only have the PS2 release and the switch version. Also, I am now refusing to respond to Stux anymore, since he's just a multiposting troll.

TurnipFritter posted:

I was thinking of picking up SMT5, does anyone have any thoughts on it, especially with how it compares to other games in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise

It's a fun game a decent is very quiet addition to the series but also very very very very easy. Unless you act like an utter bonehead you will never see the game over screen. Edit: OH, and I forgot, the MC is super OP if you deck him out with his exclusive skills. Like holy poo poo.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 15, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

The only flaws are that the MC's design is hideous and the UI is bad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Worst opinion I’ve seen

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

play it on hard mode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nahobino is one of the best character designs, not just in smt, but anywhere

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TurnipFritter posted:

If you can find a used copy I'd pick it up at a discount. I don't think you should pay full price.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Smt5 is worth every penny. Underpriced, really

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

HootTheOwl posted:

But then you realize that outside few select people everyone is literally faceless and worthless.

you cannot be this stupid lmfao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stux posted:

you cannot be this stupid lmfao
https://i.imgur.com/skPzi4j.mp4
:shrug:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

TurnipFritter posted:

welcome. its absolutely goated out of its mind and the best mainline game. play hard mode and enjoy the ride.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the smt fan reception cycle is just the zelda cycle

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

SJ had as much focus on characters as V. 90% of it is dungeon crawling. There are NPCs in V too and like SJ they mostly revolve around optional conversations. People do like Jimenez but he does a lot with a little time. (Also people hated SJ for having too much pointless text.)

IV's characters still hold the crown for most nonsensical law/chaos characters to date to the point one of IVA's attempted things was to try to give them some light semblance of reason.

I like all the mainline games and SJ. I like 3 more than V and would like IV more if it had a less poo poo map system. But lol at a decade of hearing SJ was too wordy and dull and had mostly bad characters and people only turned around when they added Future Trunks-chan

I guess I've only been in the fandom since 2018 or so but the characters were never what I saw SJ get attacked for. It was the lack of Press Turn and some of the dungeons which got everybody up in arms.

As for Walt and Jon, I don't like them, either. But at least the game tried. I'm not talking quality here, I'm taking effort. The series had been moving in the direction of focusing more and more on the characters. That's all I said.

I'll take Walter's nonsensical heel turn over the total nothing of Yuzuru and Tao. At least Walt left an impression. But in the end we are talking various circles of Hell.

Booky posted:

the smt fan reception cycle is just the zelda cycle

If we're all still here in another 10 years and we've come to believe SMTV had a good story, I fear for the future of this franchise.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

look back when smt4 came out a bunch of fans were all "this Sucks heres my essay on why it Sucks and why isabeau is the worst and etc etc" and now that 4a and 5 are out everyones all "oh it was Actually a misunderstood Classic unlike this new garbage"

if i was to time travel back to like 2003 im sure i'd see bbs posts complaining about why nocturne doesn't have any gun's or the comp

hell im pretty sure if i time travel back to 1990 i'd see usenet or w/e messages complaining about digital devil story: megami tensei 2 not being based off the books

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
in 10 years time the forums will be a different place. the brain geniuses who play a game where 90% of humans in a city are turning into literal npcs and disappearing and are unable to glean any significant meaning from how that could possibly reflect on the remaining humans within the story have taken over, and a new wave of retroactive evaluation has declared all smt games not a part of the smt4/persona/tms team/ds spin off alliance "boring" and "lacking real characterisation and narrative". in response atlus reveals their new title, smt 6. the core feature appears to be a regular human character joined to the mcs hip who talks like the clip of alloy from hzd 2, endlessly narrating everything on screen. anytime a moment or theme is hinted at the npc makes sure to speak aloud the suggestions, and if there is any ambiguity they explicitly lay out the creators intent to ensure players are not required to think or interpret anything that happens. every character is drawn in the most excrutiatingly generic anime style but with neon hair, and they talk constantly in memes and wheadon level puns. the thread erupts in a rapturous level of praise while in a dark alley i kneel on the floor, crying, as i embrace the cold barrel of a .45 with my lips after being permabanned for posting "themes are good, subtlety and nuance are virtues. anyone who disagrees should be run over with a steamroller" for the 50th time in a row.

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

Stux posted:

in 10 years time the forums will be a different place. the brain geniuses who play a game where 90% of humans in a city are turning into literal npcs and disappearing and are unable to glean any significant meaning from how that could possibly reflect on the remaining humans within the story have taken over, and a new wave of retroactive evaluation has declared all smt games not a part of the smt4/persona/tms team/ds spin off alliance "boring" and "lacking real characterisation and narrative". in response atlus reveals their new title, smt 6. the core feature appears to be a regular human character joined to the mcs hip who talks like the clip of alloy from hzd 2, endlessly narrating everything on screen. anytime a moment or theme is hinted at the npc makes sure to speak aloud the suggestions, and if there is any ambiguity they explicitly lay out the creators intent to ensure players are not required to think or interpret anything that happens. every character is drawn in the most excrutiatingly generic anime style but with neon hair, and they talk constantly in memes and wheadon level puns. the thread erupts in a rapturous level of praise while in a dark alley i kneel on the floor, crying, as i embrace the cold barrel of a .45 with my lips after being permabanned for posting "themes are good, subtlety and nuance are virtues. anyone who disagrees should be run over with a steamroller" for the 50th time in a row.

Sounds good

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

sh2 seems good but hell so does smt5

the real gift of smt is that it has something for Everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow Hearts 2 is extremely good