Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want him to die so horribly Idiom I can’t wait for that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I want him to die so horribly Idiom I can’t wait for that scene

Lol nice page snipe.

But also yes. I'm impressed with how much worse he somehow gets with every episode, but also that they keep him really pathetic and sad, instead of some arch manipulator.

The thing with the kitten where he just looks so embarrassed and hopes that someone else will come along and deal with the problem for him, or when his stalking gets interrupted by his boss demanding to know why he's taking such a long lunch break. He's so obvious and pathetic, he just gets away with half his poo poo because he's inherited a system devoted to turning a blind eye to his bullshit.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1570851089779691520

there was also an article the other day, can't find it now, about how Bill Lawrence is not very well liked on set and he has taken some major steps back from s3 and hasn't been there for most of it. wonder if we're about to get a disaster of an ending

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season 2 was a big mess, so any change sounds positive at this point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I mean I know a lot of people really loved the second season, but I struggled with it a lot.

I think the only subplot I appreciated was the Nate one, and there were a looot of subplots.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

im dumb and didnt see that the Bill Lawrence news is in fact in that link in the tweet

quote:

Warners also pays profit participants out of the premium, and on Lasso there are two major participants: Sudeikis, and executive producer Bill Lawrence, who was the showrunner of Seasons 1 and 2. Lawrence isn’t really considered the creative engine of this show, but he was an experienced adult in the room. This season, he’s not on set in the U.K. because he’s back home working on other Warners shows, like the in-production Bad Monkey with Vince Vaughn, which is also for Apple TV+. Lawrence is an interesting piece of the Lasso puzzle; the Scrubs and Cougar Town creator was ice cold after a few flops. Now, thanks to Lasso, he’s got a massive new overall deal at Warners, and his backends were largely bought out in a recent renegotiation. He wasn’t particularly well-liked on set, but it’ll be interesting to see what Season 3 looks like with less of his input.

the tl;dr of it all is that the show is coming in 20-30% over budget, Jason Sudeikis decided after the cast arrived in London that the season needed major re-writes, filming began in March but has been stop and start ever since, the show was originally going to be airing now-ish, the cast are all getting grumpy because their careers are getting bigger but they've been tied to the production nightmare and can't get out to do any of the new offers coming their way - and because of course it can't end there,

quote:

And, worse, Warner Bros. is holding the actors not just until the end of this season, whenever that may be, but for a potential fourth season next year—even though Sudeikis has said repeatedly that he wants to end the show at three.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol nice page snipe.

But also yes. I'm impressed with how much worse he somehow gets with every episode, but also that they keep him really pathetic and sad, instead of some arch manipulator.

The thing with the kitten where he just looks so embarrassed and hopes that someone else will come along and deal with the problem for him, or when his stalking gets interrupted by his boss demanding to know why he's taking such a long lunch break. He's so obvious and pathetic, he just gets away with half his poo poo because he's inherited a system devoted to turning a blind eye to his bullshit.

What show is this?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

What show is this?

Bad Sisters.

It's probably our favorite show rolling out right now except for Res Dogs. I hope Claes Bang gets an Emmy nomination for the performance because he really hits all the buttons in every scene perfectly.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Bad Sisters.

It's probably our favorite show rolling out right now except for Res Dogs. I hope Claes Bang gets an Emmy nomination for the performance because he really hits all the buttons in every scene perfectly.

The whole cast is a real standout, but Claes does a magnificent job of playing an absolute rear end in a top hat. The ginger Claffin brother comes a close second.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just binged Foundation and I was engrossed the whole time. I can't understand why this show got panned or suffered from a poor reception.

Lee Pace is amazing as usual. I'm unfamiliar with Asimov's work and never read the books. I would imagine much of the criticism comes from book purists who expected or hoped for a 1:1 adaptation?

Can't wait for season 2!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hexel posted:

I'm unfamiliar with Asimov's work and never read the books. I would imagine much of the criticism comes from book purists who expected or hoped for a 1:1 adaptation?

I also liked Foundation and also never read the books, so it does seem like a big part of liking it comes from being able to approach it as it’s own thing. I do remember a lot of people who were into the books complaining that they “turned it into Star Wars” which came off as hilarious to me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hexel posted:

Lee Pace is amazing as usual. I'm unfamiliar with Asimov's work and never read the books. I would imagine much of the criticism comes from book purists who expected or hoped for a 1:1 adaptation?

As a book fan, it's not that the show isn't a 1:1 adaptation but rather that it is so different from the books thar the connection to the source material is completely tenuous outside of the use of a few names and very broad concepts.

The clone emperor concept is one of those things that's 100% invented for the show, but I think it's a good idea on its own and probably the only compelling part of the show.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

the only compelling part of the show

For me the compelling part is: a mathematical algorithm told me society is gonna collapse and this is how we preserve a remnant.

Clone emperor is cool, I like their FTL technology, settings and different planets and cultures are all cool, uploading consciousness is cool, Demerzel is cool. I love it all.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The problem was partly that there seemed to be a trend of showrunners treating the first season of a tv show, like a place where they could just gently warm up, and then start telling an actually story in the later seasons.

I don’t have any special love for the books, they are merely fine. But why would you spend so much money on adapting what is essentially just the first chapter?
It just seems like such an arrogant move to constantly half-rear end these adaptations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Severance finale had me screaming at my TV, is there any news of a season 2 release date?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

smoobles posted:

The Severance finale had me screaming at my TV, is there any news of a season 2 release date?

filming starts in October, runs until May. next fall, maybe?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dang, I just finished Severance too. I thought 2 seasons were out already. fuuuuuuuuuck.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The football/soccer team from Ted Lasso will be in the next EA FIFA game. Kinda cool IMO.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/ted-lasso-fans-can-play-afc-richmond-characters-fifa-23

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that’s really cute

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

The latest episode of Bad Sisters was great, heart-crushing and a bit of a pain in the rear end. As always, I blame JP.

What the gently caress is up with that basement, JP?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So JP is a cross dresser in addition to having a repressed attraction to men in some capacity, and he is this "sister" his mother keeps talking about, right?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/appletvplus/status/1575501375017914372

hooray

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really wanted to like Mythic Quest but hated it tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the second season wasn't quite as tight, but the show as a lot of dumb fun. Really loved all the random stand alone episodes, particularly the two that connected Season 1 to Season 2.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly I think it was the exact opposite situation for me.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Finally caught up with the latest 2 episodes of Bad Sisters, curious to see where it goes for the last two.

Jesus, that was cold, JP.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Unsurprising - it's smug, cynical (the heart-tugging oh-you-have-to-watch-this flashback eps do their job - Miloti, Johnson, Brener, all excellent - but are completely unearned) and nowhere near as funny or insightful as it pretends to be. It's almost literally Big Bang Theory for people who pretend they're above ugh, can you imagine network televison.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At the end of Bad Sisters last week I was praying they wouldn’t do this exact thing but of course they did

Season was either too long or too many episodes. It’s not fun watching them gently caress up killing such an awful character THIS often

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

At the end of Bad Sisters last week I was praying they wouldn’t do this exact thing but of course they did

Season was either too long or too many episodes. It’s not fun watching them gently caress up killing such an awful character THIS often

I did not expect becka killing JP's mom -- that was pretty tragic . I actually find all the failed attempts pretty funny, that's kind of the whole point of the show. The thing that drags for me is the Becca and Matt round and round. Every episode is like "I hate you you're a liar" "Lets gently caress".

I guess we'll see how they wrap this up but yeah, this would have been a lot tighter as an 8ep season rather than 10.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I don’t know if he can maintain it given the show’s inconsistent quality to date, but the first episode of the new season of The Problem with Jon Stewart was really great.

Even the interview segment was solid, because instead of trying to talk about the economy with Janet Yellen, or trying to talk about the stock market with the SEC chair, he was on a topic and with an individual where he couldn’t get bogged down by ever knowing less about any aspect of the debate. Just full-bore, Crossfire-appearance, your argument is bullshit, here’s all the reasons why and you have nothing.

I know winning a debate with the AG of Arkansas isn’t going to do poo poo, but it was nevertheless satisfying to watch. And maybe *because* Stewart has been a bit both sides lately, people who hadn’t learned much on trans issues will take notice of such a full-throated defense. On the other hand, maybe he’s become too irrelevant for it to matter anymore.

They also cut all the writers’ room scenes which, while I didn’t hate them, always felt like a waste of time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched it based on your post and yeah it’s a huge improvement. I tried the podcast version out last year and bounced off after a few episodes cause it was just dull. I’ll probably give it another shot.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

The sisters really should have outsourced the JP hit to the Mafia.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
That season finale of See felt like it shouldve ended about 30 mins before the end, but I guess they needed the epilogue since it doesn't seem like they are going to make the show anymore. Funny how the ending made it seem Kofun was blinding himself by staring at the sun during a sunset

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that's an acceptable end for See. Not really a happy ending, not really a bad ending. Just ends.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm going to miss this beautiful, dumb show. Criminally underrated.

Baba Voss was too good and pure for that world.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh, baby Becka is baby Bono? Not sure why I didn't spot it earlier.

Yeah, B.S. should have been slightly shorter, although It didn't feel "stretched" as much as "under-edited". Thoroughly enjoyable though.

Frankly though I just want Shazzer to go and do another season of Dead Boss.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I need to catch up on See. I was excited for it's final season, the first episode was lacking but by episode 2 I was back interested. Unfortunately it kind of dipped off again for me around episode 4 or 5 and I haven't bothered to catch up. Doesn't help that there are so many good shows available right now.

Has anyone watched Shantaram yet? I'm a fan of Charlie Hunnam and it sounds interesting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Shantaram good. Hunnam's accent is dependably wobbly -- I laughed pretty hard when he lied and claimed to be from New Zealand, because my god his vowels wander all over the Tasman -- but he's otherwise pretty great in the role. I like the supporting cast too. Everyone feels colourful and textured, though they've also got some accent stuff going on.

I'm not familiar with the novel, so I can't comment on authenticity, but I generally don't give a monkey's about fidelity criticism anyway. I suspect the novel wasn't so aggressive in hitting the redemption stuff, but the first episode of this -- all I've seen so far-- is straightforwardly structured and paced.

It's gorgeous looking, and not just as is typical for an Apple original, this is a nice looking show. Colour grading is lovely, Bombay looks hot and wet, but also quite lush. And I appreciate that the Australia scenes were actually shot in Australia (which also looks hot but in a different way).

Camera work feels like it might be channeling Scorsese? There's energy to it at least, though it's inconsistently delivered.

Also, has a Farscape actor in it, so automatic 10/10.

(But nah honestly I liked it, but man the voice over is utter poo poo.)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Shantaram good. Hunnam's accent is dependably wobbly -- I laughed pretty hard when he lied and claimed to be from New Zealand, because my god his vowels wander all over the Tasman -- but he's otherwise pretty great in the role. I like the supporting cast too. Everyone feels colourful and textured, though they've also got some accent stuff going on.

I'm not familiar with the novel, so I can't comment on authenticity, but I generally don't give a monkey's about fidelity criticism anyway. I suspect the novel wasn't so aggressive in hitting the redemption stuff, but the first episode of this -- all I've seen so far-- is straightforwardly structured and paced.

It's gorgeous looking, and not just as is typical for an Apple original, this is a nice looking show. Colour grading is lovely, Bombay looks hot and wet, but also quite lush. And I appreciate that the Australia scenes were actually shot in Australia (which also looks hot but in a different way).

Camera work feels like it might be channeling Scorsese? There's energy to it at least, though it's inconsistently delivered.

Also, has a Farscape actor in it, so automatic 10/10.

(But nah honestly I liked it, but man the voice over is utter poo poo.)

The novel is probably the worst book I have ever read. Self-agrandizing white saviour bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I finally caught up and finished SEE and I was kind of disappointed. I still think its a good series overall, but the last season was really lackluster. Baba Voss was great and always has been. Sibeth continued to kill it (and everyone) while being super weird, but the plot was really dumb and simple, stretched out over like 8 episodes.

Is there ever any hint as to who Kofun's biological father was? Was it Harlan? It was revealed that Maghra came to Alkenny already pregnant, so Baba Voss isn't the father. Was that addressed in an earlier season and i'm just forgetting? And the last scene, where they find the library full of sighted people: how did they get a map to get there? I realize it was given to them by Maghra, but how did she find out about it?

I guess I just had a lot of questions and while I probably missed where the answers came from, I don't wanna go back and rewatch any of it to figure it out myself.