Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

More context: Currently we're a Windows environment with Active Directory, MDT, all that jazz. I don't manage it - just a grunt. But we're going to start providing more support to people who want to purchase a Mac (and absolutely refuse to use Windows - these are researchers and professors, they bring in money, hard to say no). Before we just did it manually but we want to start managing these. They think they got the manage part down but gonna take a couple weeks to tweak. We're now looking at a somewhat quick way to image them - have Office installed, antivirus, etc etc. Cost doesn't really matter too much but I am coming up empty in my searches.

Investigate Intune, given that you need to manage windows and macs in an EDU environment, it's better than a full vertical choice like mosyle or jamf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So I've got a problem with getting photos from my Macbook to sync with iCloud so that they're available on my iPhone and iPad.

Any hints on how to get the photos synced to iCloud?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

So I've got a problem with getting photos from my Macbook to sync with iCloud so that they're available on my iPhone and iPad.

Any hints on how to get the photos synced to iCloud?

Any more details? Not working at all, some photos missing, etc? iCloud syncing is turned on on all devices?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/mitchcohen/status/1570718408836108291?s=21&t=lDGnA8JSiEGrIc8f4mWyOg

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Violator posted:

Any more details? Not working at all, some photos missing, etc? iCloud syncing is turned on on all devices?

Sorry about the missing details 😔

Syncing is turned on on all devices, the photo library I imported from Google Photos into the Photos app on my Macbook is fine - everything is as it should be there.
But these photos are not synced into iCloud and so on my IPhone, I can only see the photos from an old backup - as in 150 photos out of the 2800 on my Macbook.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

aw c'mon this belongs in the hardware thread

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

aw c'mon this belongs in the hardware thread

Oops, thought this was the hardware thread. best be reposting there then.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not trying to rag on you just trying to stay on topic

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

More context: Currently we're a Windows environment with Active Directory, MDT, all that jazz. I don't manage it - just a grunt. But we're going to start providing more support to people who want to purchase a Mac (and absolutely refuse to use Windows - these are researchers and professors, they bring in money, hard to say no). Before we just did it manually but we want to start managing these. They think they got the manage part down but gonna take a couple weeks to tweak. We're now looking at a somewhat quick way to image them - have Office installed, antivirus, etc etc. Cost doesn't really matter too much but I am coming up empty in my searches.
I am in charge of about 75 employees and all have a company issued Windows computer managed by Intune and I just got our 3 Macs managed by Intune as well. Unless you need anything crazy, you might be able to do it all with what you already have with Intune.

A couple of resources you might want to check out:
Enroll your macOS device using the Company Portal app
How to add macOS line-of-business (LOB) apps to Microsoft Intune
Comprehensive guide to managing macOS with Intune
Intune macOS Shell Script Samples

Happy to chat more over PMs if you want!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This thread appears to be dead but did Safari's latest updates break tabs for anyone else?

Pull a tab out of a Safari window, it looks fine but the tab remains in the original window, grayed out. If you close the tab, it goes away AND it blanks out the tab you pulled into it's own window.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I do seem to now have an issue where trying to drag a tab out into a new window just deletes the tab; that’s fun!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yep that’s a thing happening to me too after updating Safari. I think I saw a macrumors thread about it too. Hope it’s on apple’s radar

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

This thread appears to be dead but did Safari's latest updates break tabs for anyone else?

Pull a tab out of a Safari window, it looks fine but the tab remains in the original window, grayed out. If you close the tab, it goes away AND it blanks out the tab you pulled into it's own window.

Yeah same here. Weird.

edit: the old tab has the original title (i.e. forums.somethingawful etc etc) but when you click on it it is a blank page.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don’t have that one but dragging a tab from one window to the other just deletes it for me. I lost a somewhat time consuming form like that the other day

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There's also this weird bug when I try to re-drag the old new tab into the old window, the tab floats by itself as an object that cannot be activated, moved, or closed. It stays on top of all other windows and the URL bar of the 'new' tab on the old window cannot be activated or written in. I had to quit Safari to get rid of this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What the gently caress.

You'd think Apple has automated testing and one of the tests is TABS AREN'T BROKE

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
A while ago I was asking for apps that would let me move notification badges from the dock to the menu bar. In case anyone else is interested in that functionality, I just found this obscure github repo, which does just that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Badly Jester posted:

A while ago I was asking for apps that would let me move notification badges from the dock to the menu bar. In case anyone else is interested in that functionality, I just found this obscure github repo, which does just that.

Nice find, thanks for posting that. Might try it out and hide the dock again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
In the Finder sidebar I've got a Locations section and it has my OneDrives and stuff and then a couple of NASes I have in my house for now.

I have a linux server that has some samba shares that I'd also like to be in that list, but it only shows up if I click on Network and then mount one of the shares.

What dictates when a computer shows up in that list?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I think Bonjour is the only way to get something that you haven’t connected to yet to show in that section. Enable Bonjour on your Linux box, and it should show.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm on a MacBook 14" using Monterey 12.5.1. I set my external Dell monitor to 60Hz refresh rate. The monitor goes to sleep. It wakes up again, the monitor has reset itself to variable 40-60Hz refresh rate. This is not nice so I need to manually change it back to 60Hz.

Is there a way to fix this so it stops happening? Feels like a definite bug, just wondering if there's eg some terminal command I can run that'll force this or at least that I can then make into an Alfred workflow so it changes back faster.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Sad Panda posted:

I'm on a MacBook 14" using Monterey 12.5.1. I set my external Dell monitor to 60Hz refresh rate. The monitor goes to sleep. It wakes up again, the monitor has reset itself to variable 40-60Hz refresh rate. This is not nice so I need to manually change it back to 60Hz.

Is there a way to fix this so it stops happening? Feels like a definite bug, just wondering if there's eg some terminal command I can run that'll force this or at least that I can then make into an Alfred workflow so it changes back faster.
Follow up to my own question but put it here in case anyone else has a monitor with variable refresh rate support.

Some more research suggests that neither Monterey nor Ventura up to current development versions support variable refresh rates properly so this happens.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/variable-refresh-rate-freesync-gsync-flicker.2320463/page-6 has a fix which I can then either run with an Alfred keyword or use Keyboard Maestro to run it on wake until Apple get round to fixing the bug themselves.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I have a fairly large Google drive sync I need to do. So much so that my MBP running 12.6 will sleep before the sync is complete. There isn’t a system setting to disable sleep anymore even on wall power. Now I know there are 3rd party tools to disable sleep but I feel like this is such a common scenario there’s got to be a user friendly way to accomplish without resorting to 3rd party tools. No?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shaocaholica posted:

So I have a fairly large Google drive sync I need to do. So much so that my MBP running 12.6 will sleep before the sync is complete. There isn’t a system setting to disable sleep anymore even on wall power. Now I know there are 3rd party tools to disable sleep but I feel like this is such a common scenario there’s got to be a user friendly way to accomplish without resorting to 3rd party tools. No?

load up a video from some streaming site and have it as your in-focus window and let it keep playing

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kibner posted:

load up a video from some streaming site and have it as your in-focus window and let it keep playing

Haha right. YouTube 100hr loop. Will that actually work or will some other prompt come up ‘are you still watching ?’

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Haha right. YouTube 100hr loop. Will that actually work or will some other prompt come up ‘are you still watching ?’

Try running “caffeinate” in Terminal. That should do it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

nitsuga posted:

Try running “caffeinate” in Terminal. That should do it.

Huh that’s a thing. Last updated 2012. Good to know thank you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

dexter6 posted:

I am in charge of about 75 employees and all have a company issued Windows computer managed by Intune and I just got our 3 Macs managed by Intune as well. Unless you need anything crazy, you might be able to do it all with what you already have with Intune.

A couple of resources you might want to check out:
Enroll your macOS device using the Company Portal app
How to add macOS line-of-business (LOB) apps to Microsoft Intune
Comprehensive guide to managing macOS with Intune
Intune macOS Shell Script Samples

Happy to chat more over PMs if you want!

Just want to say thanks for this! We have two of our team members working on this right now and I am sticking with regular day to day stuff until I need to take over. I'll forward these off to them and hope it helps get them where they are going. They got some of it working - ran into an issue where once it's on our domain you can't log into it at home like you could with a Windows machine. I am sure there's a way around that though hehe.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My M1P MBP keeps doing this

No idea if I needed to censor that... but it pops up a dozen boxes like this, one after the other, with random hex strings in them. It was happening when I switched user accounts, now it's started happening for no apparent reason. A reboot makes it stop for a week+

Any ideas?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bobstar posted:

My M1P MBP keeps doing this

No idea if I needed to censor that... but it pops up a dozen boxes like this, one after the other, with random hex strings in them. It was happening when I switched user accounts, now it's started happening for no apparent reason. A reboot makes it stop for a week+

Any ideas?

Did you change your login password recently?

This carries risk. It may or will delete all saved passwords, including passwords saved by apps, mail, in safari (maybe), wifi passwords, etc etc etc. This may be less painful if you have icloud keychain on, but who knows.

First, follow the steps here, starting with section II.

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-keychain-password-on-mac/

If that doesn't work, you can do the following, which will 100% delete all passwords as advised above.

Delete all the files located in

code:
~/Library/Keychains
Reboot.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Just want to say thanks for this! We have two of our team members working on this right now and I am sticking with regular day to day stuff until I need to take over. I'll forward these off to them and hope it helps get them where they are going. They got some of it working - ran into an issue where once it's on our domain you can't log into it at home like you could with a Windows machine. I am sure there's a way around that though hehe.
Happy to help more if you or your team wants. I struggled with this stuff over the last year so if I can help short circuit this for your team happy to. PM me if you want

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Vintersorg posted:

Sounds like they haven’t turned on mobile accounts in the AD binding in Directory Utility.

Without mobile accounts macOS will try and run the user account’s folder structure directly off their network home folder location (which it gets from the AD user object) and if it can’t talk to the file server that sits on it just won’t login at all.

Mobile Accounts cache everything and use a local profile so they work just fine while away from the primary network.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Has anyone here been down the tech rabbit hole with the AdGuard extension for Safari?

I was using it off and on for several years, and it has never consistently worked right for me. While it generally blocks ads well, included embedded YouTube ones, often it didn't run at Safari startup; found it paused or disabled until I clicked the icon; frequently it wouldn't update its filters even when doing it manually – all kinds of weird behavior. Fixes I Googled would work temporarily for awhile, the stop again.

After the release of SpyBuster in May by MacPaw, a Ukrainian-based company in Kyiv, I ran it in May but still didn't connect the dots.

Many Mac news sites reported on it then, like here at AppleInsider.

AdGuard is one of the four apps it found on my system that use Russia-based servers. After removing it and looking into macOS Monterey's Notifications & Focus settings in System Preferences, I found listings for things like pushfakechris.io, push.io, and 4 or 5 other push entries. They aren't apps, so the only easy way to delete them is through Safari's Preferences, in the Websites tab in the Notifications section. All were set to Deny, but I never allowed them in the first place. I had checked the box for allowing websites to ask for permission to install them.

Those .io entries are all from TikTok, and I've never installed that app on my smartphone. If you go to push.io, it takes you to Oracle's website for their cross-channel push marketing products, meaning they'll show ads on all social media apps, web browsers, and anything else they sell. That's all stuff AdGuard is supposed to block.

This last news item is what connected the dots for me, if you've followed the TikTok vs. U.S. Government saga at all: TikTok May Be More Dangerous Than It Looks and Lawmakers press TikTok about China and user data in Senate hearing.

With the frequent updates to WebKit and Safari for security patches and Chrome (and all Chromium-based browsers like Brave, Opera, Microsoft Edge, and Chromium itself), I went :aaaaa: and then :kingsley:

TL;DR: What's the best free or cheap non-AdGuard Safari extension for blocking the ads at YouTube and elsewhere that make web browsing an epileptic's nightmare? Preferably one that doesn't sell workarounds to its ad blocking like AdBlock does.

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 28, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I use 1Blocker

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve been happy with wipr; plus Firefox with noscript and Adblock plus for sites that need heavy duty decrapifying

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve been happy with wipr; plus Firefox with noscript and Adblock plus for sites that need heavy duty decrapifying

I believe uBlock Origin is preferred over Adblock Plus

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Anton Chigurh posted:

Has anyone here been down the tech rabbit hole with the AdGuard extension for Safari?

I was using it off and on for several years, and it has never consistently worked right for me. While it generally blocks ads well, included embedded YouTube ones, often it didn't run at Safari startup; found it paused or disabled until I clicked the icon; frequently it wouldn't update its filters even when doing it manually – all kinds of weird behavior. Fixes I Googled would work temporarily for awhile, the stop again.

After the release of SpyBuster in May by MacPaw, a Ukrainian-based company in Kyiv, I ran it in May but still didn't connect the dots.

AdGuard is one of the four apps it found on my system that use Russia-based servers. After removing it and looking into macOS Monterey's Notifications & Focus settings in System Preferences, I found listings for things like pushfakechris.io, push.io, and 4 or 5 other push entries. They aren't apps, so the only easy way to delete them is through Safari's Preferences, in the Websites tab in the Notifications section. All were set to Deny, but I never allowed them in the first place. I had checked the box for allowing websites to ask for permission to install them.

Those .io entries are all from TikTok, and I've never installed that app on my smartphone. If you go to push.io, it takes you to Oracle's website for their cross-channel push marketing products, meaning they'll show ads on all social media apps, web browsers, and anything else they sell. That's all stuff AdGuard is supposed to block.

This last news item is what connected the dots for me, if you've followed the TikTok vs. U.S. Government saga at all: TikTok May Be More Dangerous Than It Looks and Lawmakers press TikTok about China and user data in Senate hearing.

With the frequent updates to WebKit and Safari for security patches and Chrome (and all Chromium-based browsers like Brave, Opera, Microsoft Edge, and Chromium itself), I went :aaaaa: and then :kingsley:

TL;DR: What's the best free or cheap non-AdGuard Safari extension for blocking the ads at YouTube and elsewhere that make web browsing an epileptic's nightmare? Preferably one that doesn't sell workarounds to its ad blocking like AdBlock does.

Wow, this is intense. I have been using adguard for a while (this thread's recommendation I think), but I don't have those entries in the Safari Preferences->Websites->Notifications settings.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

101 posted:

I believe uBlock Origin is preferred over Adblock Plus

I actually meant ublock origin, no idea why I typed Adblock plus, I haven’t used it in like a decade.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anton Chigurh posted:

I can't understand what you mean by "connect the dots". Are you saying that you believe Adguard is a Russian company and is stealing your info? Because no, they were founded in Russia because their developers are Russian but they've been in Cyprus for more than 6 years. They've released a statement about this when Setapp accused them of sometime similar: https://adguard.com/en/blog/official-response-to-setapp.html

Also I don't understand what you're saying about TikTok and push notifications? Those domains are just 3rd party push notification providers, they aren't "owned" by TikTok but are likely used by TikTok and thousands of other sites like local news and those other placed that do those annoying push notification popups. There's no "dots" to connect on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How long does it take to make a MacOS bootable flash drive?

It's been forever since I made one and so far it's been about 40 minutes. Is that normal?